Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the last couple pages of this thread are the first time I've seen anyone on this board express any kind of opinion on dewey foley or heard mention of any angle he came up with, this whole thing falls apart when you start suggesting curtis axel signs were confiscated because 1) nobody has ever brought a curtis axel sign to a live event and 2) wwe would never listen to pitches for getting curtis axel over

fwiw it's my understanding he's not a full on writer and merely an assistant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dewey Foley? No, but you can!!!!!!

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Alain Post posted:

big dave has repeatedly mentioned that the idea is to use the CW matches on RAW to set up payoffs on the network

I mean they can change this, because they can change everything, but I still don't understand how giving them an additional hour of WWE programming is the worst burial in the history of wrestling

On one hand, the only people who will see the CWs do good stuff are people who pay for the network, which is a very small fraction of the WWE audience. If most of the good stuff is happening on the network, people will continue to not give a gently caress about them on Raw because they won't be doing their cool flippy poo poo there. It could also hurt the division since the shows are going on after SD's main event, so a lot of the audience will probably leave instead of watching.

On the other hand, if the CWs start doing impressive stuff on Raw and make you want to see more, maybe you'll pay for the network if you aren't already. It's also probably cheap to put together, since they are already using the arena for SD Live.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the chains are off

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I Believe in Dewey Foley

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

and 2) wwe would never listen to pitches for getting curtis axel over

does HHH still like him

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Alain Post posted:

does HHH still like him

Hippos like birds but they're still gonna eat em. I think. I'm not a zoologist rear end in a top hat

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

oatgan posted:

the last couple pages of this thread are the first time I've seen anyone on this board express any kind of opinion on dewey foley or heard mention of any angle he came up with, this whole thing falls apart when you start suggesting curtis axel signs were confiscated because 1) nobody has ever brought a curtis axel sign to a live event and 2) wwe would never listen to pitches for getting curtis axel over

mick foley has said writer's assistant every time i've ever heard/read him talk about it, which probably means he does secretary-type stuff for a writer, jots things down at meetings and maybe gets to feed his writer ideas every once in awhile

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vaguido posted:

On one hand, the only people who will see the CWs do good stuff are people who pay for the network, which is a very small fraction of the WWE audience. If most of the good stuff is happening on the network, people will continue to not give a gently caress about them on Raw because they won't be doing their cool flippy poo poo there. It could also hurt the division since the shows are going on after SD's main event, so a lot of the audience will probably leave instead of watching.

On the other hand, if the CWs start doing impressive stuff on Raw and make you want to see more, maybe you'll pay for the network if you aren't already. It's also probably cheap to put together, since they are already using the arena for SD Live.

On the other other hand, the likelihood is pretty strong that the crowd who stays to watch the cruisers might be smarky which...bodes well I guess?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is all covered in the documentary Foley Knows Best.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

does HHH still like him
He predates the HHH selfie so it's difficult to tell but even if he did that has no demonstrable benefits on the main roster in The Reality Era

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

oatgan posted:

the chains are off

It turns out, the chains were inside him all along.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

That DICK! posted:

Hippos like birds but they're still gonna eat em. I think. I'm not a zoologist rear end in a top hat

what kind of rear end in a top hat are you?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

oatgan posted:

When I went to the Christmas raw here in Minneapolis a couple years back there was a giant We Heart Axel banner draped over one of the balconies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dimebags Brain posted:

When I went to the Christmas raw here in Minneapolis a couple years back there was a giant We Heart Axel banner draped over one of the balconies.

Hometowns don't count

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

looking at Dewey Foley, he probably makes a mean steak & ketchup wrap which is probably why he's on payroll

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Alain Post posted:

I still don't understand how giving them an additional hour of WWE programming is the worst burial in the history of wrestling
its a burial of Talking Smack, which is the best programming WWE puts out

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

IcePhoenix posted:

Hometowns don't count

But wasn't that where this sign confiscating thing happened?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

looking at Dewey Foley, he probably makes a mean steak & ketchup wrap which is probably why he's on payroll

He's Stephanie's chaiwallah when Mick isn't around. It's the family business.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Vaguido posted:

On one hand, the only people who will see the CWs do good stuff are people who pay for the network, which is a very small fraction of the WWE audience.

Dude it's like half the weekly tv viewers at this point.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Curtis axel is an extremely good worker and almost as safe as Heath Slater. Guy is going to be around for awhile if only for those qualities. I'm sure he'll end up a coach at some point.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

Dude it's like half the weekly tv viewers at this point.

Assuming all of the subscribers actually watch the content, which is unlikely.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

imagine not caring about akira tozawa, one of the top 5 wrestlers in the world

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have the network and i've never watched anything on it that wasn't a pay per view because holy christ, how can you want more WWE than the 26 hours a month you already get through TV and PPV

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Efexeye posted:

i have the network and i've never watched anything on it that wasn't a pay per view because holy christ, how can you want more WWE than the 26 hours a month you already get through TV and PPV

if u don't watch raw it's hella easy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I still don't understand how giving them an additional hour of WWE programming is the worst burial in the history of wrestling

WWE already had 3 hours to get cruiserweights over (on a non PPV week). If they couldn't do it in three, why should people believe the fourth will help in any way that isn't just padding

Efexeye posted:

Basically

8 to 11 (or even 13 on the rare Takeover+WWE PPV weeks) hours a week. At some point, you're oversaturating the product thinking it's helping

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rhonne posted:

But wasn't that where this sign confiscating thing happened?

Yep. A few people tweeted about it and Axel replied to them which is probably the extent of what you can do to make that angle work.

So naturally it was dropped

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Ostentatious posted:

if u don't watch raw it's hella easy

This. I barely watch the weekly tv's anymore. With a ppv every 2 weeks, it's pretty easy to just watch the specials. If you actively avoided the CWC you hosed up.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Talking Smack is special.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

imagine not caring about akira tozawa, one of the top 5 wrestlers in the world

Pretty smart of WWE to hide my favorite wrestler behind a $10 paywall.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i watched camp wwe

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'd rather watch Swerved, the E&C show, Ride Along, Table for 3, etc than any given hour of Raw/Smackdown. Also Talking Smack whenever Miz/Alexa/Harper isn't on it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am glad the Curtis Axel sign story is "real" and i hope someone asks "D. Foley" about it in an interview one day

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MotU posted:

i watched camp wwe

it was enjoyable, better than most of the shows on the network

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I liked it when Beta Bitch Bray Wyatt was too much of a weenie to take Nikki Bella (the hottest of the campers) to the dance

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Alain Post posted:

I mean they can change this, because they can change everything, but I still don't understand how giving them an additional hour of WWE programming is the worst burial in the history of wrestling

LEt me break it down for you:

1) Raw is 3 hours and needs to be 2.
2) Braun Strowman
3) "Loserweights"
4) Sasha is bad and / or balding
5) James Ellsworth is killing the business
6) Nobody ever got over by being given dedicated screen time

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Efexeye posted:

Reminded me of this:

quote:

On episode 86 of Sam Roberts' Wrestling Podcast, actor and former WWE writer Freddie Prinze, Jr. talked about his time working alongside WWE's Chairman, Vince McMahon. Prinze suggested that McMahon knows very little about popular culture and entertainment beyond his own professional wrestling empire.

According to Prinze, the man behind the villainous Mr. McMahon character on WWE programming has little exposure to the world of entertainment outside of his own corner of it. Apparently, McMahon even questioned why Prinze would chose to watch anything other than WWE programming in his downtime.

"I used to call him Robo-Vince and he goes, 'what does that mean?' because he [has] never seen anything but wrestling. I'm like, 'you've never seen RoboCop? Of course not! You didn't see Scarface or you would have known Razor Ramon is plagiarism!'" Prinze recalled, "I was watching a Richard Pryor set on the sweet WWE jet one time just to kind of unwind and relax. And we're flying back to White Plains [New York] and he literally is like, 'why don't you have on WrestleMania?' I'm like, 'Vince, I just want to laugh' [and McMahon replied] 'well, we have Santino'. I'm like, 'great, I love Santino [but] that's not Richard Pryor!'"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Basic Chunnel posted:

2) Braun Strowman

the MOOOOOUNTAIN OF A MAN

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do rather like the idea of Vince settling down in the evening for his 500th viewing of Wrestlemania 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Vince is right, WWE has it all and you can have it all too for only $9.99 a month

• Locked thread