Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Raiding the hell out of random towns looking for one specific dude.

That's got to be a lonely life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How well did this whole "gibberish to avoid voice actors" thing play out for Bioware, anyway? I don't remember anybody else having tried it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did doing whatever it was to the Water Dragon even make it rain, in the end?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the stylized environments really sell the atmosphere.

Also getting challenged by a random ninja completely sells the martial-arts movie aesthetic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd figure assassins had some ways of breathing underwater. Or is there something going on with the ocean now that the Water Dragon is dead?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, in a risk versus reward scenario why would you pull that scam on some provincial town? You'd have to keep it up for years and years to get any money at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Without wandering martial artists, how would anyone ever get anything done?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Good God man, there's all this bullshit going on, are you really going to add petty theft to it?"

There must be something about Minister Sheng if he can make that work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sheng is pretty great, yeah. He's pretty much the kind of guy who usually wears everything on his sleeve and his deceptions are just kind of adorable.

This is just kind of Darkside Stupid, though. Oh, all the silver on that boat! It will all be mine! And then what, dickass? I guess you move on and the town's hosed?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Where are souls piling up now that they're not moving on, anyhow? It seems like it might be better to leave the angry ghosts where they are or like as not we'll run into a giant wall made out of pure spite someday.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So apparently madness leads to flight in this timeline?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the fox has a much more interesting idea of "right action" than has really shown up in the game to date. Got that subtle plan to save the forest, but circumstances are dire enough to point at some adventurer and say "go punch it I guess".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Veyrall posted:

If the sequel ever happens, this more nuanced approach to Closed Fist and maybe a couple quests showing the downsides of the Open Palm (i.e. someone ordering you to execute a repentant thief because that is the Law) would be excellent.

Really, I kind of like that sometimes it's Disney Evil and sometimes it's a nuanced approach? If Open Palm and Closed Fist both have a workable balance, both can also be unworkably out of balance.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When I saw that last still I mistook which way the motion blur was heading and thought the Dragonfly went down in flames.

I suppose they're not that petty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly that's an excellent fate for a cameo. In, a dedicated scene, and out without (and this is important) getting cutscene-deathed on the way.

...so about Lord Lao's Furnace. I thought that somehow Kang the Mad blew us all into Heaven, but apparently either it was a teleporter or Heaven is a place on Earth?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

once I gave myself essentially infinite skillpoints and tried everything. I liked the idea of the dual sabers but I didn't find their speed made up for the lack of reach and power the longsword has. Also the longsword's got this sweeping arc swing as part of the combo which is great in a crowd.

Maybe going dual swords would be worthwhile if they'd come several game hours earlier, but ... eh.

If the game let you respec - even limited like respec in class, martial to martial, weapon to weapon, that'd be a really nice quality of life thing for trying the styles they throw at you deeper in the game which are otherwise meaningless. But alas.

Is this one of those scenarios where it's like "whatever you do, don't actually spend those points to make styles better on the styles you want to get better at right now; there'll be something so much better later"?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that sounds like a backstory that ends up with you drunk in a cannibal forest in the boonies.

Nobody bats an eye at demons getting thrown around in the fight? I guess the arena holds down the worst of their power.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that was pretty quality arena fighting. Even got Black Whirlwind some closure, which was nice. Are there bits where you can play your other party members like that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I hope we can keep getting Sheng promoted or at least see him keep being Sheng. He seems like a quality running gag.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Veyrall posted:

I'm fairly certain the Lucky Hand gem would cause a long term economic meltdown if it's not actually literally unique in the Empire.

Well, you also need some kind of magic amulet in order to actually use these things. One so rare the Lotus Assassins would kill for it. Otherwise it's like crazy watered-down.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think what the Closed Fist path is really missing here is that when you fight someone to stop them from doing a thing and you lose, the take away is not that somehow they didn't fight you the secret right way so you got cheated out of a victory. No, even if you lost, the mere fact of what happened validates your belief, that applied violence solves problems.

It's a pretty good self-reinforcing spiral, up until the climactic confrontation with the final boss whereon some drat Open Palmer completely disables them by sheathing their sword the right way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, a graveyard seems like a terrible place to be at a time of unquiet dead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Super-dedicated ghosts even Dawn Star can't pick up on? ...any bets we never see another one?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like to think Zu waited for us to approach before entering too far ahead of us to follow.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is kind of weird that nobody believes you legitimately beat anybody, judging by their reactions.

Maybe that's another weird quirk of our fighting style?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can only imagine what that celestial functionary tag-along thinks of us heading to the edge of perception to release a prisoner of Heaven.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly it's a pretty fitting fate for Lord Lao, in the end.

All that stuff about pacifying a land by wiping out its people just makes me think the assassins and the Emperor are just wiping out the Jade Empire to lay the foundation for... something else.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Li wanted us out of the way, so now we are. I respect a dude who can limit himself to, like, five seconds of gloating right at the moment of truth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why were they even bothering with golems? I imagine not getting the emperor personally involved with the creation of the army might be kind of worth it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Li is coming to Dirge, but we need to destroy the Water Dragon's body back in the imperial palace?

That sounds like a serious scheduling conflict. Unless we have to project back to the original flesh to get 'er done or whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh neat! We get to tag off into more of our party members?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, that's how we're going to do it. He didn't come himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Sir Roderick is a hero in his own mind and also in the end credits.

• Locked thread