Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I really wanted to like Jade Empire, but I found a lot of the NPC's hard to empathize with, and I found it somewhat annoying that I kept getting more and more combat styles throughout the game, meaning that I often had tons of points already tied up in early-game stuff that became obsolete and prevented me from having more fun with the later combat styles(or weapons) because I didn't predict for how long I'd just keep getting more and more. Never really felt like I had the necessary points, and goddamn, a lot of fights were SLOGS, like it just took WAY too much punching and kicking and slashing to down people, sometimes.

So in the end I just used the save editor for a bunch of style points so I could have more fun switching styles essentially at will, and get through fights faster, and that made the game considerably more entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
D

gently caress Bioware and their garbage romance writing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I remember disliking the next part, but I can't exactly remember why.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The save editor was a large part of making the game less tedious to me. :v:

But yeah, the Flower of the Fields "quest" is hilarious, like usual, Bioware is great at humour, middling at drama.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ah yes, the magical NPC skill of leaping to places where the PC's can't path so they can make a clean getaway.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm totally voting for the big dumb guy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like someone might've bad Warhammer's Skaven a bit in mind when writing for the rat demons(not that it's a complaint). Or maybe that's just the archetype that always springs to mind for evil rats.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jade Empire isn't written about China, though, it's written about Wuxia China. It tries to emulate Martial Arts Stereotype Asia, it doesn't try to be an accurate representation of real Asia. So I feel that trying to blame it for not properly representing real Asia, when that's not something it's ever trying to do... is kind of missing the point.

EDIT: Actually even behind a spoiler link, that should probably be removed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

It's really obvious they didn't have a lot of (any?) Asian people in the writing room.

I'm not sure how you can tell.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

For me it's the fact that no one actually sounds culturally distinct unless they're playing to a specific trope or stereotype. Go back through the last few updates and read the dialogue: if you saw that same dialogue in KOTOR would it be out of place? Mass Effect? There is very little that is distinctly Chinese or Asian, fantasy or otherwise, about the way the characters talk, interact, or comport themselves.

So we have characters named Sagacious Zu and Dawn Star and Wu of the Lotus Blossom blandly discussing Spirit Monks and Lotus Assassins the same way they would discuss Geth and Reapers. Feels like you could do a find and replace for key terms and not lose anything.

How could they write it better? I dunno, I never write anything more complex than a brief financial report or a DnD campaign. But hiring some Asian people would probably help if you're going to make a game entirely about Asian people.

The point is more that being ethnically Asian, or being a citizen of an Asian country, doesn't automatically make you better at writing about anything Asian.

It's like you're arguing that being a French person automatically makes someone more competent to have an opinion on, or write an essay on/story about Napoleon, because Napoleon was French, too.

You might have a point if it was a modern game about a more-or-less uniquely modern Asian experience, like being an Asian immigrant to the US or something similar. But this is a game about Ancient Fantasy China. Assuming we stripped out the Fantasy part... then there's still no one around with a unique perspective on what it's like to have been in Ancient China. Just people who've studied the issue more or less, and being Asian doesn't magically give you access to knowledge that no one else can acquire. What they might have needed isn't more "Asian people" on the writing staff, but "more people who know Chinese history" on the writing staff, which is free of racial/ethnic qualifiers and an issue of merit and competence.

Like if there's anything wrong with Bioware writing it's just that they're fundamentally bad at writing certain things and situations, not that they're racist. I think they'd have hosed it up just as hard if it was an RPG about living in the Fantasy Confederacy, whether or not they hired any people from Arkansas to help them write it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wait WHAT? There are loving FATALITIES? I swear I never saw a SINGLE one of them during a playthrough.

Does each weapon have its own kind? Or is it just swords?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I can't really remember much of a difference between what the different styles do. Any chance of an overview post?

Also, as obvious as the whole "WE'RE EVIL CANNIBALS"-thing is, I still remember thinking that it was done well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I really wish you could reallocate your skill points without save editing, because now I've wasted a bunch of points on Legendary Strike and won't be getting those back.

Honestly, I'd support you doing some save editing if it meant you got to show off more styles. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love the whole "GAZE UPON OUR PERFECT FORM" [transforms into a horrible midget] part.

Also, with the whole CELESTIAL BALANCE, doesn't killing the Mother just mean that another evil demon is going to get her job sooner or later? Or is the Celestial Bureaucracy only concerned with STARTING things in balance, and then doesn't give a poo poo if it's disrupted later?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Veyrall posted:

I still stand by my theory that Henpecked Hou is single and just a bullshitter.

It'd be an amazing reveal.

"I'm the greatest fighter in all history, honest. I just can't fight any longer because my wife won't let me, such a shame! You're going to have to defeat the evil overlord all by yourselves!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know, it's strange, but I can remember almost every NPC in this game EXCEPT for Wild Flower and Chai Ka/Ya Zhen. I wonder whether I just never used them or if I somehow ended up not bringing them along or what.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

From what I remember, depending on the enemy and circumstances, Mirabelle goes from "completely useless" to "guaranteed one-shot kill." I have to admit I tried using her as much as possible because it just seemed so much fun.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I don't even remember there being that much to the flyer stuff. I think I just did the minimum necessary amount of it. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That's a great start to the arena.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

sebzilla posted:

The best thing about the Special Edition is the fancy metal box that says Jade Emipre on the side.

Beware, enormous grainy phone pic that I can't be bothered to resize.

WOW that's loving embarrassing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Every Bioware game in existence would be considerably improved by the excision of all romance dialogue and subplots.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 11, 2017

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I had actually completely forgotten that twist. It comes along really well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It feels like the flaw is mentioned enough that you go "OH poo poo, THAT WAS IT" when it happens, but not that it's heavily hammered on. Because everyone else who brings it up seems to mention it as a potential strength.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The best reveals are the ones where technically all the evidence has been there for you all along, but you never quite put it together because of the presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for doing the LP. Even having played the game myself once, I couldn't actually remember much past the halfway point, so it was fun getting to re-experience it.

• Locked thread