Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bad Hat Meter posted:

There was a pretty interesting post in the Jill Stein thread that I would like to share in this thread:

I think the lefties in this thread should give some consideration to Berated Tham's ideas regarding leftist efforts to take power. Thanks very much for your consideration, comrades!

That article is as incurious and naive as Jill Stein is herself. RT is an arm of the Russian government, and as such will amplify any voices or views aimed at destabilizing American politics or policies.

Anyvay, what I would suggest should happen in the unlikely event of a left takeover? Which I 'm supposing is 218 in the House, 60 in the Senate, and 5 in the Court.

1 - Create a bottom up movement of leftist policies and preferences, from cities on up, creating free healthcare (extended Medicare with attendant European style regulation of insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, and other health care players), free schooling through college, free day care, paternal and maternal leave (for up to 2 years), beefing up of education along with axing out charter schools and other privatization efforts in other spheres, all abortion restrictions held to the standard held by NY and California (largely none, with the exception of the third trimester, .01 percent of all abortions I believe), stiff voter access rules, including having people go door to door to sign and allow people to vote if they have to.

2 - New Deal type work programs, private-public partnerships aimed at bridging our 1 trillion infrastructure shortfall, aimed specifically at zeroing at unemployment and men and women without a high degree of educational development. Roads, bridges, water-ways, subsidies to worker owned factories (which is a growing part of the marketplace), subsidies to incentivise employment by private businesses along with attendant restrictions on firing and replacing workers, zero out contractor loophole of many businesses, create a national 401-K or IRA for every American that will travel with them job to job, invest in regulatory agencies like OSHA and transfer regulatory duties of state agencies to federal ones or create a minimum level to avoid things like Texas' constant refinery explosions and Oklahoma increasing earthquakes by 1000 percent. Make the burden on businesses on proving new ventures will not have bad effects, instead of agencies having to do the opposite. Increase pay and protection for federal employees unions, and expand membership and employment by federal agencies aggressively. Impose easier union expansion in the private sphere, and make an effort to increase union membership aggressively in the private sphere, to the extent of creating new types of union like organizations that fulfill the same responsibilities, akin to German style worker councils mandated to have an equal say to executive boards in corporations.

3 - Create a private, powerful, and omnipresent constellation of liberal, left, and progressive entities creating and pushing their legislative agendas. The Republicans have been masterful with this, and have been incredibly patient too, to the result of Koch lobbying groups essentially getting a free ride to write federal leglislation and have it passed in the upcoming Congress. A leftist ALEC, a leftist Americans for Prosperity, a leftist Federalist society (the liberal versions are milquetoasts and naive currently), popping up to corral and use voter support and patron funds judiciously, ruthlessly, and with great effect would do a lot to change the current right-wing domination that is occurring right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

So, in short, people who are proud to be Leftists and not undermining their efforts by talking about 'realistic expectations' and other third-way poo poo. Yeah, this will actually work. In fact, we just need more dedicated people to run it and stand up to this nonsense. Build a wall against the GOP's bullshit, so to speak.

There needs to be a real oppositional force to current free trade theorists to effect and capture people's minds. There's this great interview with a sociologist who interviewed in a large scale people who turned out to be Trump voters: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/10/25/trump-country-tea-party-conservatism

She basically terms what these people wanted in politics not based in fact or ideology, but in terms of what they felt. Elites (and minorities) keep on taking their place in line, so they vote accordingly.

I was a Hillary supporter because I thought she might have the best chance to win, but I see that I was wrong. What's needed is something to stimulate the fire in people's bellies (and capture 40% of the white vote, 90% of the black, and 70% of latinos), a donor class dedicated to wholesale change, and a fevrent base of true and more importantly, smart, believers dedicated to not piece meal reform, but whole sale change.

There needs to be a cause that inflames as much as fears of the government and colored people do on the other side, and traditionally that's been serviced by economic populism anchored by minority participation. If blacks had voted in the same numbers in PA and MI as they did in 2012, Hillary would have won those states, so this isn't just a pean to the white working class. We need all of the above.

I would be willing even to tolerate a Cory Booker in 2020, but this election shows that those "hard-headed" type calculations are a losing bet, and that people actually want to vote for someone they can believe in and can bring wholesale change. It's our responsibilty to create a framework to create instant and profound change when that occurs. Mealy mouthed Clintonism is dead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

and that cause and framework is trumpism

The next 4 to 8 years will be key...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What everyone should be looking at is California right now. That's where things need to start, considering Dems have power in all the levers of power there.

This is the time to show that the Dems actually stand for something, rather than technocracy.

• Locked thread