Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Time to restart this sideshow.

I closed the old thread due to broken images and a lot of clutter, so lets get this re-organized.

Current Vehicles:
1986 Audi 4000 CS Quattro 20v Turbo
1984 Audi 4000 CS Quattro
1987 Audi 4000 CS Quattro (Parts)
1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
1998 Jetta TDI

(wifes)
2002 Volve XC70 AWD

Audis in their normal service position.

1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v

Almost entirely OEM
Currently: 034 Motorsports Injector Conversion Kit: Replaces the stock Hitachi Injectors which are notorious for falling apart due to age and exposure with Bosch standard EFI injectors and bypasses the Resistor Pack
Planning: Compression Drop Headgasket and Turbocharging
Needs: Power Steering/Power Brake hoses rebuilt. Leaks pretty bad right now.

1984 Audi 4000 CS Quattro

Currently: Needs new fuel lines run.
Planning: 10v CIS Turbo conversion
Needs: More Rust Removal.

1986 Audi 4000 CS Quattro 20v Turbo

Done: Replaced the JT 10v NA motor with a Audi 3B 20v Turbocharged motor, originally running on Megasquirt, now running on OEM Motronic ECU/Wiring
Currently: Works and Runs, avoiding driving due to lack of Bypass Valve and Intercooler
Needs: Intercooler setup and Bypass Valve, Crankcase Ventilation Setup. Paint. So much paint.

1998 Jetta TDI "FrankenJetta"

Done: Replaced AHU motor with 2001 ALH motor from a salvaged Beetle, Included upgrading the Injection Pump from a 10mm to an 11mm. Upgraded Injector Nozzles with Bosios. New Wheel bearings all around, new harmonic balancer. Rebuilt the AC Compressor.
Needs: Tires and and a halfshaft
Currently: Runs and Drives, the cruddy tires make it rather shakey and one of the rims is in need of replacement. Body is well past 300,000 miles and showing it.

I also have a Coupe GT that I'm babysitting for a friend and doing work on occasionally, but its not mine.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Hey. Loved your old threads. You seem dedicated. Keeping the fire alive for some unique cars.

Well the devil himself shows up and wants to make a trade. So what are you going to do?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5889325074.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr-Spain posted:

Hey. Loved your old threads. You seem dedicated. Keeping the fire alive for some unique cars.

Well the devil himself shows up and wants to make a trade. So what are you going to do?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5889325074.html

I know a couple guys that grab the V8 ones and put them into 4000s. But man, the Audi automatics were trash.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Agreed, but the one thing it has going for it is if it's been down here it's entire life it will have zero rust on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr-Spain posted:

Agreed, but the one thing it has going for it is if it's been down here it's entire life it will have zero rust on it.

True, and its low mileage. I'm not a huge fan of the large chassis Audis (200/5000) due to their much heavier frames making them eat up a lot of the performance gains their powertrains gave (i.e the 3B commonly came in the 200, and it really did need all that extra power for its weight).

If it was an Avant, I'd seriously consider it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So much cool stuff. I bet that 98 is fun to drive with the ALH and those mods. Last time I was at the boneyard all the TDI autos were missing the pump and nothing else, fuckers. I had a 11mm for my AHU but it disappeared somehow in the last couple years since Ive been not working on it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Did you ever use that fuel pressure tester on the CIS setup?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Did you ever use that fuel pressure tester on the CIS setup?

I did, and I need to Paypal you. PM me next Wednesday so I can get that done.

I built a benchtop setup with a full CIS and Flowmeter for the injectors.

shy boy from chess club posted:

So much cool stuff. I bet that 98 is fun to drive with the ALH and those mods. Last time I was at the boneyard all the TDI autos were missing the pump and nothing else, fuckers. I had a 11mm for my AHU but it disappeared somehow in the last couple years since Ive been not working on it.

Its a zippy car to be sure. The air filter assembly fell apart, so it has a cheap K&N setup until I can run something proper.

With the IP upgrade and Injector mods, it starts easy and passes with ease.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Commie what did you end up doing with that AHU engine that you swapped?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

thatguy posted:

Commie what did you end up doing with that AHU engine that you swapped?

There was a guy who I've known for years that had his throw a rod. He got it as a donation for his VW Syncro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp.

Went to start the 90 this morning and was greeted with a cacophony of valve lifters and then got worse. I'm not willing to risk the engine on just noisy lifters, so I'm gonna have to park it for the time being.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Love these old Audis

Please update us on crazy neighbor antics!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Crazy neighbors: Cops came, ticketed me, and courts ruled they had no grounds to ticket the vehicles. Now we just glare at each other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Good News!

Budget is looking better this month, so I may get to go to the pick and pull and grab an MC2 10v Turbo motor from a wrecked 200 in the yard.

Hope its still there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
...aaaaand they scrapped it yesterday.

Did find an Audi 5 cylinder diesel in a Volvo:

EDIT: This is a D24 2.4l Inline 6.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 22, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Tracking a bad power steering leak on the Audi 90:

Removing the return and feed line I have to go through the driver's footwell:

Also have to remove the line going to the power brake booster

Leaking hoses are leaky.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Tracking a bad power steering leak on the Audi 90:

Won't somebody please think of the Pentosin???

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Won't somebody please think of the Pentosin???

Seriously. Spilled in vain all down i-85 and i-285.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well gently caress. Got the power steering/power brake hoses repaired, and now I have a significant oil leak somewhere. Worried it might be the rear main seal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Rear main seal is blown on the 90, so its going to need open heart surgery. Its parked in the meantime.

Meanwhile, the Black 4kQ is back on the road and feeling good. Re-painted the badging because, why not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Getting geared up for the 20v overhaul, got the parts:

Got everyone in position.

And banished the Coupe GT to the backyard while I do this to make driveway space:

Sleepy time.

Also got some LED auto lights to replace the wimpy/broken fog lamps on the 90. Perfect fit too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wife's BBQ broke, so I got to practice with my new stick welder.

Still suck, but I can get a decent bead with a 6011 rod now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 14, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Added a Drill Press and a 6" Grinder to the bench:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Spent yesterday picking up a Motor and CIS from a 4000 someone was replacing the engine on, $100 for the engine and the fuel system. Fair deal.

Then spend today repair a leak at the fuel filter on the black 4kQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, I need the garage space, so I'm gonna start stripping the 4000Q in the garage till it's a shell and send it on its way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So it begins:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

:<

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I need the garage space to work on the other Audis, and restoring the flood car was a long shot anyways. Plenty of spares to keep the other two 4kQ running for decades to come

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, the silver Audi is stripped and a guy is on his way to haul away the carcass.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Time for the next project.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Next patient is in and ready to start open heart surgery

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
i have that same fan it puts out some fuckin cfm

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

i have that same fan it puts out some fuckin cfm

Oh, the one up on the rack? Yeah, I found it in the trash and re-wired it to always run on high when plugged in. Its awesome in the Georgia summer, but I gotta get some ventilation in the attic, its trapping heat in the garage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Someone was converting a 4000 Quattro to a 1.8L Turbo, so I grabbed all the CIS stuff and the complete engine/alternator/starter/AC/power steering setup

The Machine Spirits are pleased.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 26, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Let's get this party going.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Day 1 progress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Day 2 of overhaul:

Bag O' Snakes header removed. Engine mounts unbolted, now just gotta unbolt the transmission and drop the mounts so I can slide the engine out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Engine is out.

This damned anti-tamper bolt was crammed inbetween the transmission and the engine, and has an allen head but not enough space for a ratchet. Was able to get it with an allen wrench and a piece of pipe. The nut was crammed inbetween two grooves that prevented a wrench from getting to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Need to order a couple more things before I get started, I need piston rings and headbolts, but otherwise we're ready to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oh goody, piston rings for the 7A are no longer available. Might have to use the 3B piston rings.

• Locked thread