Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Chronicler Yue

Even before the fall of Heaven, the Sodality of Annals served as the guardians of knowledge and history, of the wisdom and folly of ages. The chaos since has only sharpened their resolve to ensure all that has been learned is remembered, and used wisely. Its Archivists swear never to seek power for themselves, merely advise, and to preserve what is left of the order of the world.

Every year, hundreds of hopeful children flock to the Proctorate in the shadow of the Citadel to take the Examination, in hopes that they will be brought into the Sodality. Though most who seek - and win - the honor are the youngest of noble families or the second children of rising merchants, every year there are some from the destitute peasantry who hope to place a child they cannot otherwise support. Yue was one such child. She was the first from such a background to be selected in nearly a decade.

Having selected her, the Sodality trained her to meet their own needs. Her initial training was as an archivist and historian. She drank in knowledge like it was water and she was dying of thirst. Yue was a star pupil in terms of seeking and retaining information, but struggled with the detached serenity expected of an Archivist. Her passion for knowledge was difficult to contain, as was her penchant for novel interpretations. Still, intense instruction and repeated discipline instilled at least a surface level of the expected disinterest.

In time her order recognized other talents in Yue. Her athletic prowess and indifference to personal danger was noted, and she was selected to become a Curator. These members were charged with defending the Archive and their fellow Archivists, armed with the accumulated mysteries of dozens of warrior societies. Secretly, they were also tasked with reining in those who would violate their oaths, and any who sought to steal knowledge from the Sodality.

It was this task that lead to Yue's downfall. Sent to eliminate the heretic Archivist Sparrow, Yue instead became her disciple. What good was knowledge locked away where it could help none? What use arts hidden from sight? How could they sit by when so many were in need of hope? In time Sparrow taught Yue the secrets of the Chronicle, a forbidden philosophy that charged Archivists with changing the world for the better, and bringing about a new realm with all the greatness of the lost one. The old woman was also instrumental in Yue ascending to become one of the godbound, though this in the end cost Sparrow her life. With the old woman's passing, Yue took up her cause in earnest.

Having assumed the forbidden title of Chronicler, Yue seeks heroes worthy of receiving the wisdom of ages, champions she can advise in their quest to better the world.

------------------

Yue tries to maintain an air of serene, calming wisdom, the guise of the inscrutable and unflappable sage. In fact she is deeply passionate about her cause, has a strong sense of justice, a child-like wonder in the face of knowledge - and can be a bit petty when slighted. Anyone who spends an extended amount of time with Yue finds this quickly overwhelms the personality she tries to project to others.

pre:
ATTRIBUTES                SAVING THROWS
   Str:   9 (+0) [12]         Hrd: 14+
   Dex:  18 (+3) [ 3]         Eva: 12+
   Con:  13 (+1) [ 8]         Spr: 13+
   Int:  16 (+2) [ 5]
   Wis:  12 (+0) [ 9]         HP: 9   AC: 0
   Cha:  16 (+2) [ 8]                 [Intrinsic]

WEAPONS
   Sword     Dex   +4   1d10+4
   Unarmed   Dex   +4   1d10+4
   Fray Die: 1d8	BAB: +1

WORDS AND GIFTS
   Alacrity
      • Walk Between the Rain
   Knowledge
      • The Best Laid Plans
      • The Unveiled Truth
      • Effort of the Word
   Sword
      • Contempt of Distance
      • Steel Without End

FACTS
   Destitute peasant girl turned archivist
   Curator, swordswoman-scholar trained in secret techniques
   Exile from the Sodality of Annals for consorting
      with the Chroniclers

GOAL
   Find a group of worthy heroes to guide in restoring
      the glory of the past and a more just world

RESOURCES
   Effort:     3
   Influence:  2
   Dominion:   0
   Wealth:     0
CURATOR LYCEUM
The Curators are warriors tasked with protecting the Sodality and its Archivists from outsiders who wish to prey upon them. Since Archivists are often guests of the powerful, the first line of defense is the law - to know fully what rights and protections they have, and how to force others to respect them. The second is influence - many archivists are socially inept due to their insular nature, so Curators learn to shield them from their own errors and leverage the influence of the powerful. But at third and last, the defense is martial - Curators are skilled warriors, with access to every art, technique, and style the Sodality has ever encountered and recorded.

Novice: Novices of the Curator Lyceum are trained to be experts in the legal codes of the successor states. They may treat this as a helpful Fact when knowing or arguing the law. They are also drilled to possess an encyclopedic knowledge of nobility and other politically important figures, and can recognize such unless the Curator is a total stranger to a land.

Docent: Full-fledged Curators are thoroughly versed in history and with the great works of literature, art, and music. In order to memorize this enormous canon Curators have to hone their memories as sharp as their blades; they have perfect recall of anything they've read or heard.

Rector: A senior Curator possesses mastery both of numerous secret martial techniques and the epics of their origins. By chanting the founding sagas and mantras Curators can inspire themselves to greatness of their own. As long as the chant continues, a critically wounded Curator can continue to act in battle. This chant takes up their move action for each round, but as long as it continues they can continue to act while at zero hit points. If injured or made to lose hit points in such a state, however, they will fall at the end of the next round, mortally wounded.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The village was still smoldering. The fighting - what little there had been - was well over, and the inhabitants that still lived had been herded to crossroads at the center, cajoled into lines.

Morning Tiger sat on an overturned cart and watched with a smile. The other brigands had left this village alone, since it had been so poor. What could be gained from robbing destitute farmers? Morning Tiger, though, was a clever man. Clever enough to know there was still something worth stealing even here.

He hopped down, tucking his thumbs into his belt as he walked in front of the lines of peasants alongside Bloody Eye Hari. "This one, that one... no, no, much too old." He stopped in front of a young man, grabbing him by the chin and turning his face back and forth. "He'll fetch a good price, eh, Tian? Pretty face like this, they'll be bidding each other up all day." As they laughed, Tiger suddenly felt a sharp pain in his shin.

"You leave him alone!" The little girl - the boy's sister, Tiger reasoned - glared up at him, hands balled up in fists and her smoke-darkened face screwed up in defiance, despite the streaks of tears down her cheeks. Tiger stared at her incredulously, then threw back his head in laughter. There was a nasty edge to it as his bandits joined in.

He was reaching for the hatchet in his belt when a clear voice cut through the noise. "The slaver may grow rich in gold, but grows ever poorer in dignity. So said Ignatius, in his Meditations on Common Morals."

The statement, the tone, were so out of place that everyone turned to look at the woman who had spoken. She was clad in vermilion travel cloak and fine clothes, a calm smile on her face as she walked up the road, her hands tucked into her sleeves.

Tiger turned to look at Hari, who simply shrugged in confusion. There was no accounting for mad women. Tiger tilted his head back to get a better look at the woman. "Seems to me the one with all the steel decides how much dignity he has." He waved at the woman with a come-hither gesture. "Come down here and we can talk it over, yes?"

"I see you may prefer Melii's Arguments of Power, then." The woman kept walking forward at a steady pace, passing the pickets watching the road without even glancing at them. Mad for certain. "You should remember what became of her."

Tiger frowned now, and thought of ordering her shot, but Hari put a hand on his shoulder. "She has a fine figure. Might be worth more than the rest combined." He nodded, rubbing his chin thoughtfully - and yelped in surprise as his other shin received a painful kick.

He rounded on the girl, hand raised - and suddenly the woman was there.

The cloak and hat were still fluttering to the ground where she had been. But she was here, in front of him, apparently not having bothered with the space between. And there was a sword in her hand. The guard dug painfully into his jaw, but it was the blade against his throat Tiger was concerned with, its point aimed at the earth. A single droplet of blood ran down its gleaming edge as Hari and the others took an involuntary step back.

The woman glanced at Tiger out of the corner of her eye, then looked back at Hari. Her expression was no longer serene. "Let me put it simply then. You will not lay a hand on this child." Tiger forced himself not to swallow, and looked imploringly at his lieutenant. She didn't meet his eye as she raised a hand to command the others.

The droplet of blood reached the tip of the sword, and hung there for a heartbeat.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Updated, and yeah, I think that would be neat, though I still need to read up more on exactly how knightly orders work.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Did up the Curators of the Sodality as an order, mostly by adjusting the flavor slightly for the Glorificant Order from the Ancalia book. I've added it to my sheet, but I'll post it here too for reference.

CURATOR LYCEUM

The Curators are warriors tasked with protecting the Sodality and its Archivists from outsiders who wish to prey upon them. Since Archivists are often guests of the powerful, the first line of defense is the law - to know fully what rights and protections they have, and how to force others to respect them. The second is influence - many archivists are socially inept due to their insular nature, so Curators learn to shield them from their own errors and leverage the influence of the powerful. But at third and last, the defense is martial - Curators are skilled warriors, with access to every art, technique, and style the Sodality has ever encountered and recorded.

Novice: Novices of the Curator Lyceum are trained to be experts in the legal codes of the successor states. They may treat this as a helpful Fact when knowing or arguing the law. They are also drilled to possess an encyclopedic knowledge of nobility and other politically important figures, and can recognize such unless the Curator is a total stranger to a land.

Docent: Full-fledged Curators are thoroughly versed in history and with the great works of literature, art, and music. In order to memorize this enormous canon Curators have to hone their memories as sharp as their blades; they have perfect recall of anything they've read or heard.

Rector: A senior Curator possesses mastery both of numerous secret martial techniques and the epics of their origins. By chanting the founding sagas and mantras Curators can inspire themselves to greatness of their own. As long as the chant continues, a critically wounded Curator can continue to act in battle. This chant takes up their move action for each round, but as long as it continues they can continue to act while at zero hit points. If injured or made to lose hit points in such a state, however, they will fall at the end of the next round, mortally wounded.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As far as getting the group together, it occurred to me that Yue would literally go around collecting worthy heroes for her long term project of fixing the world. To that end, she'd be looking for people she'd heard of, chasing down urban legends and the like.

I can see how that would work pretty easily with Virtuosa, but less so with Raoh and especially Abagai. What sort of things would she be likely to hear? What sort of things might make her pick them to go find? Where would she find them and what would the meeting be like?

Additionally, of all of us, Virtuosa's goal of lifting the curse seems like the most obvious first step to pursue, so Yue would probably pitch that as their first task, unless someone has a different idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Let me know if anything is misspelled or you want to switch art or anything. Particularly to ZeeToo for the GM header - I can change the subtitle as well.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread