Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, I'm not really sure how console gaming was worth it at all in Brazil to the companies before digital distribution.

And yeah, your buddy's experience was almost like mine. It was cheaper to buy a game from China, have it shipped, and even pay the import tax (60% of the declared value) when that kicked in than to buy from an actual store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Brazil has eternal props from me for still cultivating the Famiclones and Sega Master System/Genesis systems.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Why would you give it a Godzilla roar please no

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'm the crusher robot

Crushing will protect you

Crushing will protect you from the terrible level design

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

laserghost posted:

I'm the crusher robot

Crushing will protect you

Crushing will protect you from the terrible level design

He didn't do his job too good, considering he was the worst part of the level

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We confront our mortality

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This game is lethally dull. And what's with the level design? No kid would have the patience for all those perfect-timing sections.

CID reminds me a lot of Crazy Drake - a budget platformer on PC that I got somewhere in the 2000. Bland gameplay, archetypical level themes (jungle, haunted castle, toy factory, egypt and "future") and some of the most bullshit levels ever made in a such game. And yet it had cool music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6BC6FfYPE

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

laserghost posted:

This game is lethally dull. And what's with the level design? No kid would have the patience for all those perfect-timing sections.

CID reminds me a lot of Crazy Drake - a budget platformer on PC that I got somewhere in the 2000. Bland gameplay, archetypical level themes (jungle, haunted castle, toy factory, egypt and "future") and some of the most bullshit levels ever made in a such game. And yet it had cool music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6BC6FfYPE

I went to look it up, and the music is pretty great all around.

I am curious, did all older PC/DOS games have bizarre instructions like, "beat the levels in sequence to confront the final boss"? (That was paraphrasing for the sake of being more general.)

The game itself is making me very sleepy.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I am curious, did all older PC/DOS games have bizarre instructions like, "beat the levels in sequence to confront the final boss"? (That was paraphrasing for the sake of being more general.)

I don't recall seeing that kind of thing at all, even in shareware. Come to think of it, though, most of my PC/DOS gaming was from American or British publishers who actually spoke English as their first language. Given that this developer was founded in "the 2003" I'm going to guess English is not the first language here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's finally time. All has been revealed

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
What if Cedric the Owl and the King of Town had a baby, and that baby grew up to be an awful scientist?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Melaneus posted:

What if Cedric the Owl and the King of Town had a baby, and that baby grew up to be an awful scientist?

This is a very accurate way to describe these noises

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

It's finally time. All has been revealed

Oh no.

Nothing about this game is good. Not the gameplay, which is rote as hell with some very questionable control and design decisions. Not the story, which is batshit, but not the good kind. Not the reveal, which is absolutely inane.

This was supposed to be a franchise for goodness' sake.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dinictus posted:

This was supposed to be a franchise for goodness' sake.

He was probably too blinded by his creative juices to consider it may not be received well

Edit: Wait that wasn't supposed to seem sexual

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The penultimate level, lots of lava!

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Crash test dummies were big in the 90's.

There were cartoons: https://youtu.be/wfuFEfxkY_I

Which had toys (that I owned): http://www.tomopop.com/toys-of-yesterday-the-incredible-crash-dummies-12806.phtml

Esoteric Banana fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 10, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

How were the toys?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

How were the toys?

From memory? A bit one-note, but they fulfilled their purpose of 'poo poo goes flying everywhere when the vehicle or the dummies smash into a surface.' Cars and other vehicles usually featured crumple zones where you would imagine a car would crumple from the featured crash method - usually frontal, a few particular playsets also featuring side crumple zones. Of course, with play involving actually crashing plastic cars into walls or surfaces, the vehicles were prone to get damaged beyond what the hinging elements of crash damage would allow. Either the hinges would eventually get worn out and the plastic around them would snap loose, or wheels would get loose from the vehicle with no means to attach them back to it.

The dummies themselves featured 'damage' where their limbs would pop off the torsos on impact with either a chest button, or their heads smashing into a wall or floor. But the limbs were connected to the torso with hard plastic pegs, with a tiny indentation at the end of the peg that would allow the limb to lock into a pair of internal metallic prongs within the torso. The prongs themselves would open up inside the dummy and pop the limbs off when depressed by the head or the chest button. Either the pegs on the limbs or the prongs could eventually get damaged with excessive use, both making it difficult if not impossible for the limbs to remain attached with the torso any longer..

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh my God, the puns.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Dinictus posted:

From memory? A bit one-note, but they fulfilled their purpose of 'poo poo goes flying everywhere when the vehicle or the dummies smash into a surface.' Cars and other vehicles usually featured crumple zones where you would imagine a car would crumple from the featured crash method - usually frontal, a few particular playsets also featuring side crumple zones. Of course, with play involving actually crashing plastic cars into walls or surfaces, the vehicles were prone to get damaged beyond what the hinging elements of crash damage would allow. Either the hinges would eventually get worn out and the plastic around them would snap loose, or wheels would get loose from the vehicle with no means to attach them back to it.

The dummies themselves featured 'damage' where their limbs would pop off the torsos on impact with either a chest button, or their heads smashing into a wall or floor. But the limbs were connected to the torso with hard plastic pegs, with a tiny indentation at the end of the peg that would allow the limb to lock into a pair of internal metallic prongs within the torso. The prongs themselves would open up inside the dummy and pop the limbs off when depressed by the head or the chest button. Either the pegs on the limbs or the prongs could eventually get damaged with excessive use, both making it difficult if not impossible for the limbs to remain attached with the torso any longer..

I still have a box of these things out in my garage. A very large box, with a lot of vehicles, playsets and figures in it. And I watched that single cartoon pilot so many times as a kid, I could play it back in my head on demand.

It's unfortunate CID the Dummy has none of the charm. :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i sincerely thought this game was supposed to be a tie-in to the cartoon before you mentioned when it was released

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

It's unfortunate CID the Dummy has none of the charm. :v:

But what about Professor!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'm watching the video of the world seven and geez the developers really should read a book about level design or at least watch a good behind the scenes doc. For such big ambitions towards making this a franchise, they put so little effort into the actual game. I'm actually angry how badly designed this game is. Why do you need to move in that super limited 3D plane, and not just run left/right like in every other platform game ever made? Why do you need to manually target the various obstacles, can't player just shoot straight? Especially during boss battles this is annoying because you need to stop and aim. Why fists are so universally strong, if this game is not just a side-scrolling brawler, and you're supposed to use various ammo types? And so on.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

The toys were a lot of fun when I was a kid, but yeah what Dinictus said is all true.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

CID this isn't banter this is psychopathy

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Holy poo poo that banter...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah the dialogue at the end was the most insulting part of the game yet.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah the dialogue at the end was the most insulting part of the game yet.

I also like that MIA apologizes to him for some reason. I can't honestly imagine what they were trying to convey.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

That's some A-game negging right there :tipshat:

I am so sorry you had to suffer through playing through this slog and editing the footage, besides. How did you even come across this game again?

Also it's weird how they prolonged the boss fight as much as they do without actually making it difficult, considering the last bosses having at least something to them that made them more difficult in their second phases.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

CID went from cringeworthy to complete irredeemable rear end in a top hat so fast that I almost broke my neck on the impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dinictus posted:

How did you even come across this game again?

It was just sitting on a shelf in Gamestop and the cover art made me think "man this has got to be hosed up."

Click here for the full 640x901 image

(Notice the copy-pasted crusher robots, of which there are only one in the actual game.)

HardDiskD posted:

CID went from cringeworthy to complete irredeemable rear end in a top hat so fast that I almost broke my neck on the impact.

It's pretty bad! It's like they suddenly forgot they wanted CID to be a jerkass and had to fix that in the very last cutscene.

• Locked thread