Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm definitely not. In chapter two when shooty AI appear, they just move till they have LOS of you and shoot. Truly revolutionary.

Enjoy your refund I guess. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Stupid Comcast made the game download take all night last night, looking forward to this though glad people are having good impressions.

My only worry is performance, so hopefully I don't suffer the same fate (the processor affinity is a smart trick).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Jose posted:

it would be good if they realise that people are far more interested in MP and make the full range of powers/weapons available

CLICK CODEX MODE
FOR EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS CLICK loving CODEX MODE
IT'S A CHECKMARK AT THE TOP OF THE LOBBY WHENEVER YOU WANT TO START A GAME
JUST READ THE TOOLTIP OR THE loving PATCH NOTES OR PEOPLES POSTS IN THIS THREAD OR READ ANYTHING AAAAAAAAAA

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think

Nanomashoes posted:

CLICK CODEX MODE
JUST READ THE TOOLTIP OR THE loving PATCH NOTES OR PEOPLES POSTS IN THIS THREAD OR READ ANYTHING AAAAAAAAAA

Maybe take a break for a bit and step away from the computer, you seem to be getting pretty fired up about this buggy videogame release.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I mean it is a stupid thing to complain about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nanomashoes posted:

CLICK CODEX MODE

lol calm down. i was doing that. i meant all the guns and psy attacks spread correctly across classes

nice meltdown

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Nanomashoes posted:

CLICK CODEX MODE

Forgettable Warhammer game #342 is certainly something to lose your mind about.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

He's right though. Just look at your screen man. It's all there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

CLICK CODEX MODE

IT'S CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nanomashoes posted:

And get in the way of the preconceived notions about the game (like the guy who didn't notice enemies flanking)? Poppycock!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Tried running the game. Everything is great until I get out into the first mission proper, where, you know, I actually get to move around. I get game crippling slowdown. Welp. The tutorial worked fine so I have no idea what is the thing.

Edit: neither ramping down my settings, disabling audio, or setting core affinities has worked so far for me. I'll probably refund it in a few days if they don't make some kind of announcement or patch.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 16, 2016

DraconicBlade
Jan 12, 2010
I updated to the Nvidia 376.33 drivers and playing through single player haven't had any crashes, and only ran into one through 3 matches of multiplayer. It also seemed to have fixed the framerate drops.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
If you think your textures look muddy, try this!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/298900/discussions/0/152391995406207164/

Essentially, the resolution for the textures doesn't get changed when you change your display resolution, resulting in lower resolution textures being applied.

This makes the game look sooo much better!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't use temporal aa above the 1s setting. It really, really makes things too blurry.

Nanomashoes posted:

CLICK CODEX MODE

This :shopkeeper:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm definitely not. In chapter two when shooty AI appear, they just move till they have LOS of you and shoot. Truly revolutionary.

Thats what I do

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Goddamn, the Dark Templar ship gave me such a loving boner

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Game is running great and is pretty hard (on hard)! Halfway through the second level and enjoying it.

The AI seems to be pretty retarded with the autocannon I've had much better luck giving him lightning claws, and the shortcut order hotkeys all seem to be broken which is aggravating as the AI is useful if you order them properly but retarded if you leave them on follow. Thankfully the follow/defend key works and is good enough, but I find myself getting irritated around doors I want to block.

Haven't tried multi yet.

i5-2600k and 970 gtx. Performance definitely seems to be a wash depending on your system (mine is silky smooth with max settings), updating drivers is probably a necessity but other than that roll the dice.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
I like how when I ask one of them to lock the door, the other guy decides he needs to be on the other side of the door. Because reasons.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

Game is running great and is pretty hard (on hard)! Halfway through the second level and enjoying it.

The AI seems to be pretty retarded with the autocannon I've had much better luck giving him lightning claws, and the shortcut order hotkeys all seem to be broken which is aggravating as the AI is useful if you order them properly but retarded if you leave them on follow. Thankfully the follow/defend key works and is good enough, but I find myself getting irritated around doors I want to block.

Haven't tried multi yet.

i5-2600k and 970 gtx. Performance definitely seems to be a wash depending on your system (mine is silky smooth with max settings), updating drivers is probably a necessity but other than that roll the dice.

The trick is to give them the goto command away from the door. Otherwise one of them will ALWAYS stand right on it.

Xeremides posted:

I like how when I ask one of them to lock the door, the other guy decides he needs to be on the other side of the door. Because reasons.

Which is why you should always be the one on door duty :)

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I started using the command specifically because every time I walked to the door, one of them would move just ahead of me through the door and wait for me to lock them out, forcing me to move further away from the door to get them both in, and then try again, or use the command. This game would be a lot more enjoyable if I could heal myself and just leave those two dead forever.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Stanley Pain posted:

The trick is to give them the goto command away from the door. Otherwise one of them will ALWAYS stand right on it.

Yea I try to but the quick menu command is kind of terrible and the hotkeys don't work for me except for follow/defend.

I'd love to be able to actually order them around efficiently.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Anybody going to be in discord and up for some coop tonight? Waiting for my friend to get off work and we are going to host out of Virginia.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

MysteriousStranger posted:

Anybody going to be in discord and up for some coop tonight? Waiting for my friend to get off work and we are going to host out of Virginia.

Yea bud, pm me

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Gay Hitler posted:

Yea bud, pm me

I don't have pm ability, I'm in discord though in the Warhammer General channel now though. My friend will be here by 20:30 EST. We were shooting for a campaign play through, FF on, Codex Mode on, yet to pick difficulty though. I do need to get him a discord invite though.

EDIT make that 2100 EST.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 17, 2016

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

unpurposed posted:

If you think your textures look muddy, try this!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/298900/discussions/0/152391995406207164/

Essentially, the resolution for the textures doesn't get changed when you change your display resolution, resulting in lower resolution textures being applied.

This makes the game look sooo much better!

Thanks for this I tried this on two of my boxes (2500k @ 5.0ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600, gtx 970 SLI/ 6700k@ 4.8ghz, 16gb ddr4 3200, gtx 1070/ both SSD for OS and pushing the game from SSD) and it generally looks a loving TON better. But it doesn't apply to all the textures. It's like some of them pop in at 4k resolutions (pushing 4k from the game to 1080p 144hz monitors) but it's hit or miss. Even to the point where half of the terminator models in the menu load in with the good resolution and textures but other parts of the model still look like poo poo.

Also game is hit or miss on either box. I'll have sessions with no slow down, crashes, solid as all hell, and then ones where it's crash after crash, massive slow down, and all sorts of nonsense. It would be one thing if I could point to one specific box but it's hit or miss on both. Haven't bothered to load it on box 3 which is a socket 2011-v3 system but I doubt throwing that monster at it is going to improve things. It seems less of a horsepower issue and more of WTF issue.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The first time in SP that one of my allies blocked my shots with his armor, I flashbacked to reading 1d4chan's (the second best wiki for talking poo poo about what they cover, second only to the Transformers wiki) explaining how, fluff-wise, sending bulky Terminators is the worst idea to clean out Space Hulks, specifically because putting huge clunky (and fluff-wise, valuable as hell) armors in tight corridors is the worst loving thing.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

The first time in SP that one of my allies blocked my shots with his armor, I flashbacked to reading 1d4chan's (the second best wiki for talking poo poo about what they cover, second only to the Transformers wiki) explaining how, fluff-wise, sending bulky Terminators is the worst idea to clean out Space Hulks, specifically because putting huge clunky (and fluff-wise, valuable as hell) armors in tight corridors is the worst loving thing.

There's a "logical" (for 40k) explanation for using Terminators built into the fluff as well. Specifically it's not the enemies that require it, it's the environment itself. There's no knowing if there's a loose warp/vortex, collapsing sections, exposed plasma reactor, hosed up vacuum, or whatever else out there that power armor just wouldn't hold up to. In many cases the interior is just as

So Terminators are sent in because the environment can't kill them outright. And if they manage to stabilize it, or verify it's safe enough, they'll send in power armored space marines or even scout armored ones to do the rest.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Which discord are folks using?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

There's a "logical" (for 40k) explanation for using Terminators built into the fluff as well. Specifically it's not the enemies that require it, it's the environment itself. There's no knowing if there's a loose warp/vortex, collapsing sections, exposed plasma reactor, hosed up vacuum, or whatever else out there that power armor just wouldn't hold up to. In many cases the interior is just as

So Terminators are sent in because the environment can't kill them outright. And if they manage to stabilize it, or verify it's safe enough, they'll send in power armored space marines or even scout armored ones to do the rest.

Its also because of the radiation, the terminator suits were originally glorified janitor suits for inside reactor chambers so one thing they're great at is blocking radiation. Environmental hazards is the main reason for using termies and even in the lore they aren't used that much, you'll often only have 1 squad while you use things like armed serfs and IG to see if the place is safe. The best lore story about space hulks is the admech opening up a spacehulk to the public and flooding it with hive gangers, mercs, governor household troops, PDF, and even hiring some orks. They all died while the admech stole abuncha tech then bailed and told the governor to enjoy his insanely dangerous spacehulk and peaced out--the short story ends with an inquisitor showing up.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Elendil004 posted:

Which discord are folks using?

the standard one, come on by, find us in voice, my host and connection have been stable. We've go three steady and 4th slot rotating with randoms

DraconicBlade
Jan 12, 2010
Playing with 3 other goons having a blast, no host crashes through maps 1-7. The lack of in game voip is terrible though. I only had one fatal error in 6+ hours of gameplay. So far all the levels have had reasonably unique areas with plenty of skulls and gold and tyranid bitds splashed across them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Played the first mission of the campaign and died because i was hoarding my pysgates to much haha. I don't get these complaints, AI was fine for enemies and allies. Stealers would dodge, flank when i had them down long hallways, go prone when charging up said hallways to make harder targets and actually run away when i set up defensive bottle necks. Squad AI was really nice, they take a little long to shoot at stealers but respond well once set up.

Surprised how much better melee is then firing when your getting swarmed. Games loving awesome totally worth buying.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

DraconicBlade posted:

Playing with 3 other goons having a blast, no host crashes through maps 1-7. The lack of in game voip is terrible though. I only had one fatal error in 6+ hours of gameplay. So far all the levels have had reasonably unique areas with plenty of skulls and gold and tyranid bitds splashed across them.

Yep, we've had no real issues.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

DraconicBlade posted:

Yep, we've had no real issues.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arghy posted:

Its also because of the radiation, the terminator suits were originally glorified janitor suits for inside reactor chambers so one thing they're great at is blocking radiation. Environmental hazards is the main reason for using termies and even in the lore they aren't used that much, you'll often only have 1 squad while you use things like armed serfs and IG to see if the place is safe. The best lore story about space hulks is the admech opening up a spacehulk to the public and flooding it with hive gangers, mercs, governor household troops, PDF, and even hiring some orks. They all died while the admech stole abuncha tech then bailed and told the governor to enjoy his insanely dangerous spacehulk and peaced out--the short story ends with an inquisitor showing up.
Which story is that, out of interest?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Arghy posted:

Played the first mission of the campaign and died because i was hoarding my pysgates to much haha. I don't get these complaints, AI was fine for enemies and allies. Stealers would dodge, flank when i had them down long hallways, go prone when charging up said hallways to make harder targets and actually run away when i set up defensive bottle necks. Squad AI was really nice, they take a little long to shoot at stealers but respond well once set up.

Surprised how much better melee is then firing when your getting swarmed. Games loving awesome totally worth buying.

Like with any game, the more difficult the enemies become, the more obvious faults in gameplay mechanics become. The first 2 or 3 campaign missions are basically just longer tutorials.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I finally gave the Thunder Hammer and Stormshield a shot last night. On the one hand it really reflects the tabletop where assault terminators are slow to get into the fight but on the other the thunder hammer may be the most satisfying melee weapon I can think of in a video game. Pulping a wave of genestealers with a single swing following by a peal of thunder feels pretty :black101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think the power fist is the most satisfying. Just a straight up crunch

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I still don't get why they don't just blow Space Hulks up, instead of boarding them.

Teleport a couple of nukes into the reactors/warp cores of the ships and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hammerstein posted:

I still don't get why they don't just blow Space Hulks up, instead of boarding them.

Teleport a couple of nukes into the reactors/warp cores of the ships and be done with it.

Because a STC for a new type of toaster is worth more than the lives of an entire Hive City.

• Locked thread