Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
While Captain Hviid has no comment on the matter, Cecilia praises it emphatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Beate, for her part, stays silent, mostly having nothing to add and quietly wishing she could get back to her work.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Magnus

"Now, there's one thing I don't understand about this plan.", Magnus says. "I understand the Christians and the Pagans on this island don't care much for one another. How are you going to get them to agree to this new settlement? And, even if you get their agreement, and get settlers, what's to stop them from fighting once they get there, or at least each side showing favoritism to their own side? It's not that I'm against it, in theory, mind you, but in practice, won't it just create more problems than it cures?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johann

"I quite have to agree with Magnus," Johann says after spending a moment puzzling over the parchment. "How does this make people happier? I had assumed we were going to have to sponsor the building of larger docking facilities anyways, but your reasoning seems rather odd."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Aleydis
"Don't underestimate my resourcefulness, my dear magi." She grins. "We only need to provide the opportunity, then some people will come. Perhaps not many, at first, but all we need is some. When the rest see those few prospering, then more will arrive.

"Truth be told, I'm not sure I could do it on my own. That's why I came to you for help." Aleydis's smile fades a bit. She peers at the silent faces among the council, then pushes forward the parchment and makes a quick bow. "Well, think on it. I'll be on the island for a few more days at least, if you have any questions. I'm sure you have many important things to discuss. Thanks for your time, and take care of yourselves!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johann

"Well then, I think that concludes our business for this meeting, unless anyone else has something that we all need to address?" The young mages gaze sweeps the table, seeing only looks of boredom from his Sodales. "Well then, I think we all know what we would rather be doing at this moment, so lets be done with this Council meeting."

Lets move on to seasonal actions! Johann is going to explore the resources of the isle, paying particular attention to trees, rocks and metal sources.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Indeed, we are on to seasonal actions! I will need thse for both magus and companions. Remember, companions need two seasons out of each year spent supporting their lifestyle.

My current list of actions:

Krystof of Moravia: ????
Johann Faust: Exploring the island and its natural resources.
Magnus: ????
Caj Hviid: ????
Bernardus Caritas: Research the Aegis of the Hearth using a lab text and experimentation.
Aileas: ????
Beate: ????

The Alabaster Man: ?????
Berchtold: Lifestyle maintenance doing good works and preaching among the islanders.
Jan van Leuven: ?????
Aleydis Burnt-Ring: ?????
Cecilia Rosenbaum: ?????
Menno de Graaf: ?????
Mariel: ?????

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 1, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aileas might tag up with Johann, if with more an eye towards getting to know the inhabitants thoroughly - but inhabitants are LIKE natural resources.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Alabaster Man intends to walk around the covenant's lands and get acquainted with whoever he bumps into. Starting from the fields and going in closer if things go well. New faces mean introductions!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Beate intends to spend her time studying Gwidion's Guide to the Forest, hoping that matters of politics and covenant business can just pass her by for now.

Mariel, for her part, needs to make contacts and allies still, and feels like volunteering to help the exploration of the island and its resources will not go unnoticed.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Menno de Graaf is spending this season picking up trade goods in Lubek and planning his trade journey across the Baltic Sea. Aka, he's working on Area Lore (Scandinavia) or whatever the region is currently called.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Krystof will spend his time improving the island's defenses, and wishing he could be off finding the Order instead.

Aleydis is going to devote her time to building her inter-faith docking village, relying on other seasons to make up the lost income.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Magnus will explore the island, looking for new sources of vis and also for potential familiars.

Jan will maintain his domain, planning for the future and providing justice, and also buying a dog.

lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
Caj Hviid will (somewhat begrudgingly at first) work with Krystof on shoring up the island's defenses. Perhaps they will find something in common.

Cecilia will help Johann explore the island and draw a map for him!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spring, 1220

Krystof and Caj put their heads together on how to improve the island's defenses. The construction of walls would be a good start, but expensive - stone would need to be imported, along with an architect to oversee the raising of the walls, and possibly labor to speed their construction. Alternatively, a spell could be devised to raise the walls quickly, but this would require skill in Rego and Terram at the least, along with potentially several seasons of work for the mage to learn it. A cheaper option would be the construction of wooden watchtowers at various points along the shore, though it is unlikely that these would survive a harsh winter, and would need to be rebuilt each year - not an insignificant cost, but far cheaper in the short term than hiring a mason. Once they reach a decision on how best to proceed, however, the season's work should go smoothly.

XP will be given when you decide which route to take.

Bernardus gets to work in his lab, taking the covenant's lab text of the Aegis of the Hearth. He follows its workings for the most part, but experiments with the flow of magic as he practices the spell, in an attempt to modify it for the island specifically. It takes all season, but with a lab text to work as the base, it's doable. In theory, this is an excellent idea. In practice, it results in a spell that has a fatal flaw: it is tailored to protect the magi, but not the fae of the island. As a result, anyone who passes into the Aegis with a goal primarily related to the faerie court on the island will be unaffected by it. This ability to sense the goal of someone passing into the Aegis would be useful if it were not for the fact that Bernardus has no idea how to reproduce it. Whoops.

Base Rego Vim Lab total: 29. A roll of 4+3 on experimentation raises that to 36 - enough for a solid level 35 spell. However: a roll of 1, 1, and 2 on the experimental results table gets us an 8+3 for 11 - a modified effect. 4+3 gets us a 7 - the usage of the spell is restricted. The Aegis works perfectly most of the time - but due to the close ties of the area to a faerie court, it fails to protect against anyone who comes to the island whose presence is primarily as a result of involvement in the local fae. It'll work fine against an enemy that wants to gently caress with you, but if they want to mess with the faeries and gently caress with you as a byproduct, the Aegis cannot stop them. But hey! There's a level 35 Aegis of the Hearth lab text in the library alongside Bernardus' new, flawed one, so it's not like you can't learn the standard version.

Bernardus gets 2 XP to divide up as he likes between Rego, Vim and Magic Theory.

Beate curls up in her lab with Gwidion's Guide to the Forest. She voraciously devours the text. By summer's time, she has fully comprehended all that lies within it. Her mastery of Herbam is not that of a master, but certainly worth noting - and with a primer like the Guide to the Forest, that's as good as could be hoped for.

Beate gets 24 Herbam XP after Book Learner, which should cap her at Herbam 7 - the book can't take her any higher than that.

Berchtold spends his time preaching and doing good works. He is well-respected among the Christian population of the island, while the pagans shun him and occasionally perform minor acts of vandalism. The Christian group rally around him and take most of his lessons to heart, but several minor scuffles between the two groups break out over the course of the season. Nothing more than bruises and black eyes, at least.

Berchtold gains 2 XP to divide up for Area Lore: Condicion, Folk Ken or Chirurgy.

Jan takes care of his lands, such as they are. Setting up a proper kennel is costly, but as long as he stays within his means, he can manage to hire six men to run the place, one of them even properly trained as a decent master of the kennels. The man, a rough but ready fellow named Kirk, is taking charge of the training of the other kennel servants into proper dog handlers for the hunt. It is going to cost Jan five pounds of silver each year to keep the kennels maintained, however. Unlike his stables, after all, they are not expected of all noblemen. He can afford it right now...but only if he keeps a proper income flowing, and that's without the proper cost of dogs. With his staff, he could handle up to 48 dogs in the proper ratios.

He hasn't got those. He has twelve running hounds for the chase, none especially well-bred, a single lymer, and a trio of cheap alaunts - enough for a basic hunt, but truly exceptional dogs will take time to acquire. At least the alaunts and running hounds will breed themselves in the coming years. Jan does follow tales, however, of the best place for lymers - it will require a trip to Switzerland, but the monastery of St. Hubert is famed across Europe for breeding the best tracking dogs in all the world - the Saint Hubert breed, of course. The abbot does not sell them easily, however - he will need to make friends within the Church to get access at anything like a reasonable price. Two of these, some better-bred greyhounds from the Scots or wolfhounds from the Irish for the chase to breed up, some big mastiffs and better-bred alaunts - now that would be a pack to be proud of. Toss in some harriers for smaller game or Iberian spaniels to help if Jan were to take up hawking...the price rises ever higher, of course, but with it the glory.

Jan gains 2 XP to divide between Hunt, Profession: Master of Kennels and Animal Handling.

Aleydis gets to work trying to get her docking village built. The local carpenters are useful for this, but the workers are not. Several houses go up and the dock is begun over the course of the season, and good progress is made...but it is clear that just building the village is not enough to bring the two groups together. Their arguments and fights are currently focusing around the presence of a local monk, Berchtold, whom the pagans resent deeply and have been needling, while the Christians are trying to defend him and taking vengeance on the pagans for their acts. This is clearly going to escalate if something isn't done.

Aleydis gets 8 XP in Area Lore: Condicion.

Menno heads to Lubeck for trading and planning. He makes several good purchases and sales, but is planning something bigger. He's going to need more time to really spend on making his living, because he's selling cheap now to gain information. The Swedes have apparently invaded Estonia under the command of King John the First, elected four years ago after the death of his rival and former holder of the throne King Eric the Tenth. He only got recognition from the Pope last year, and remains unmarried. The jarls of Sweden apparently are quite fond of the man, besides the rival dynasty - the House of Eric, whose jarl is currently a four-year-old child, but whose family is favored by the Papacy. Interesting times are sure to be coming in Sweden, and if John's ambitions in Estonia continue, weapons sales will be up there.

Menno gains 5 XP in Area Lore (Sweden).

Everyone else sets about exploration of the island and its people. The covenant's vis sites are primarily located elsewhere, mostly on the mainland of Germany, but that doesn't mean there's nothing of interest on the island itself!

The adventure will be taking place asynchronously via Discord - it's still post when you can, but it should be faster than by forum. I'll get a dicebot in there shortly.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Krystof
"I will send for a mason," Krystof suggests as he and Caj work on the beginnings of the new wall. It is slow going at this early stage, but he does not mind a little hard labor. "My mother is a baroness in the area, I'm sure she would know who to speak to." He sighs. "Speaking of which, what of your own parents, Captain? Are they pirates as well?"

Aleydis
"Nice place for myself, at least," she says as she surveys the results of her season of labor. She is disappointed, though not surprised, that no one has yet come, despite her building it. Time for a more direct approach.

Aleydis goes to speak to this monk, Berthold. Perhaps she can puzzle something out through conversation.

lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
Caj Hviid looks into his own resources, but eventually can find nothing better than the option to bring in a mason, agreeing with Krystof at long last. He knows a lot of carpenters, and even has some facility with magical woodworking himself - but this won't suit for a long-term solution. "My parents?" Caj scoffs, when asks. "Farmers. They may as well be dead, for all I know. It matters not to me."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Bernardus Caritas

Bernardus resolves to return to the Aegis at some other time, once he is more experienced. A spell of his own, however flawed, is some accomplishment in and of itself! Of greater importance is the strife growing within the people of the island. Word of the skirmishing bands has reached even the ears of solitary magi. To fight amongst each other is to invite catastrophe. While the common house Aleydis proposed is a good start, it would be helped along by some magical support. To this end, he resolves to improve his skill with Rego, so that in the future he may craft a spell, or even an item, to enchant the covenant with the spirit of compassion and cooperation.

Studying the Rego text in the Covenant's library.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sup, folks. We will be transitioning entirely to Discord - I'll get the stuff set up for that over the next week or so - because I am not finding SA to be an environment conducive to my posting, and I want this game to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Apparating over to discord.

• Locked thread