Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Ezra

Seeing the skeletal figures rise up, Ezra begins to ready his staff for combat. He sees what Zarina does. Taking the hint, he moves towards the offering dish. As he makes his move he reaches for some coins to offer up.

AR: 13. DP: 7 memorized Cure Wound x2, Martial Inspiration
Cha 11, Dex 9, Fer 7, Health 14, Int 12, Will 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

His sword is raised immediately and ready to bear down with all his might upon these monsters as they start to rise. But the Bey's instructions, and the others moving quickly to follow them, give him pause.

'Sometimes a sheathed sword wins the fight.' Taking the same path, he moves to pinch a coin and toss it into the offering dish. If it prevents a needless fight then so be it. And if not then at least he can gain satisfaction in destroying these monsters.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reyhana

She looks around the chambers, raising her guard and reaching for her axe. The sister watches the others place their coins, then scoffs, "Absurd." She holds her torch aloft and looks down the steps from the doors, "I'm not going to appease whatever devils and nightmares dwell here." As the skeletal creepers turn to face her way, she looks at the others and prepares to rhetorically defend herself, "It's a matter of principle." Even as they start to advance, she is also moving in the opposite direction, moving along the wall, keeping as much distance, "We're here to confront this evil, not bribe it. And if we give a little regard, then we empower it - and further evil is done not just in their name, but our name too." Reyhana admirably keeps a fast pace walk, staying out of arm's reach of the skeletons as she labors her point, "And while I've been talking, and they've been ignoring you, you could have smashed their brittle skulls in."

One imagines she would cross her arms stubbornly, if she weren't climbing over a pew and dragging it in position to obstruct the skeletons pursuing her, "Also, I left all my coin at the shelter." She looks around, her cheeks flushing, "What? Why would I bring my coin purse into a labyrinth? Why did any of you?"

Reyhana is playing keep away and hoping these are the slower kind of skeletons and not the fast kind!! If they turn out to be fast then maybe she will have to climb up something or run out the door...
C 8 D 14 F 13 H 11 I 10 W 12
AR 12 D 8

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Vault of the Vanished Idols - Worship Hall
Ambiance

Creaking, clattering clamors join the chorused din within the worship hall—several dozen of the desiccated, derelict skeletons scrambling for purchase against the perpetrators present. Following Shodana’s lead, the tinkle of coins are hastily tossed to the offering dish as Zarina feels skeletal fingers tugging and hooking against her sleeves mere moments before.

Ezra arrives just as a figure grasps at his staff, another’s bony arms encircling his waist as he can feel the fell press of the animated remnants press against his back; as his own coins tumble free from his grasp in the jostled grapple, two manage to slip into the dish—offering the man a reprieve from his assailants just as dry bone brushes the back of his neck with claw-like fingers.

Making his way across the hall, Jad moves alongside the panicked bandits now scrambling to follow the Bey’s direction—though not before a blood-curdling scream rings out as three of the skeletal figures overwhelm one of the brigands, tearing him to the ground in a grisly dismemberment. Another of the bandits dives for the bowl, only for two skeletal revenants to seize his legs and pull him away from it, clawing and raking as he struggles and shouts.

A skeletal worshipper throws itself against Jad’s shield as the fighting man feels bony fingers clawing and pulling at his heavier armor, seeking purchase against the warm, living flesh beneath—muscle and sinew tugged taut as the bulwark stands his ground against them. Powering through the crowd, Jad is able to arrive at the dish in turn—though he can feel several of the figures assaulting his flank and back along the way.

Shodana spies one of the bandits shouldering her way to the alms dish, scraped and bloodied as she hastily dumps damaged coins into the dish, grimacing as a empty-eyed skull bites at her shoulder. Others are struggling to fight against the crowd, overwhelmed on the peripheries of the chamber as shouts and cries fill the air. “But I have no coin!” One man screams before an anguished gurgle follows.

Separated from the rest of the group, Sister Reyhana finds herself swiftly beleaguered as figures scramble after her with increasing tenacity and severity—more joining them as they beg off from those who have offered their own alms. Moving nimbly, pulse racing, the dexterous assassin maneuvers and weaves as clawed hands swipe and seek to seize her. Twice, thrice, four times she narrowly avoids her undead pursuers—before Sister Reyhana feels bony fingers close at her throat as she turns, finding herself staring at dark, empty sockets.

Spots flash before Sister Reyhana’s vision as those dusty bones constrict with alarming efficacy, choking the air from her. Brilliant light flashes, filling Sister Reyhana’s vision with spots anew—the pressure falling away as sizzling heat crackles and dust burns away on the air.

Myritoesa appears at the Sister’s back with inhuman agility, straightening alongside her—and brandishing a curved blade of golden flame; the multitudinous worshippers of are given only momentary pause around the pair as the throng of their number grows all the more animated.

Jad suffered 4 damage. Ezra suffered 3 damage. Sister Reyhana suffered 4 damage. Several bandits suffered far worse. Reyhana managed to avoid the worst of her assailants—then received aid from Myritoesa.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Shodana

"“Please Reyhana!” in Shodana's voice anger mixes with desperation "Liken this trap, magical though it might be, to mechanical ones you are so familiar with, this is not a matter of faith or principle, but of magical gears and tripwires - the coin given is just the jamming of the trap! " Doubting that her words will influence Reyhana she tosses her coin bag to Myritoesa "Please! Save the sister and yourself!"

Throwing coin purse to Myritoesa, coin purse contains 9 coins - target dexrity: equal or lower than 9 1d20=8

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14/17 base:(11/14) I:13 W:16
AR:17 DP:7 SPD: 7

Memorized spells- 3x Inspiration

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 27, 2018

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Ezra

"Misbegotten necromancy!' Ezra curses. He moves away from the skeletal guards that attacked him and went towards Reyhana to protect her. Raising up his staff, he prepares to knock the guardians away, so that Reyhana can make her offering.

AR: 13. DP: 4/7 memorized Cure Wound x2, Martial Inspiration
Cha 11, Dex 9, Fer 7, Health 14, Int 12, Will 13.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina

The scholar stands akimbo at Reyhana's speech and stammers, "M—My action was merely a pragmatic gamble to bypass this hazard." She leans forward with a huff. "And I assure you that monetary solutions are feasible even within these depths! Any being with intelligence may… um," her eyes widen as she belatedly processes the punitive fury of the skeletons. Zarina regains her posture as she murmurs to herself, "Surely they won't comprehend my artifice." She spares a quick and furtive glance at her armaments.

C 15 D 13 F 11 H 10 I 14 W 9
AR 13 D 5 PA 3 Spd 8
Memorised Spells: Binding, Binding, Eldritch Darts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

He grunts in pain as the skeletal monsters press themselves upon him, feeling their attacks bite under his armour. But it seems their offering is indeed working. The Sister seems rightfully hesitant to make what could be considered a 'deal' with these beasts, but if it saves them then it must be done. With any luck she will notice it having the desired effect and move herself to do the same.

Moving from the offering dish, he strides purposefully to Reyhana's side and puts both his shield and heavily armoured body between her and any of her assailants.

AR: 16. DP: 2/6
Cha 7, Dex 11, Fer 13, Health 13/13, Int 8, Will 8.

• Locked thread