Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
  • Post
  • Reply
tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

After he is feted and freshed, Kasra marches through the streets of Narkavrum with a renewed vigor. One splatter of oil had coiffed his hair into a fearsome scimitar curve, while two splatters had done the same to his black mustachio. The bard's flowing accouterments were no doubt cleaner than they had been when they emerged from the incursion, but were still far from pristine in an effort to maintain a certain rugged, windblown charm. Kasra preens and struts where the crowd's adulation grows stronger; when a bouquet is thrust into his fingers, his nose swims down into its stems and he swivels his face back and forth, eliciting moans of olfactory sensation. When at last Kasra's visage emerges from the petals, he kisses the side of his palm at the giftgiver - a grateful gesture if viewed from the left; a lewd one, if the right.

Kasra's cock-a-hoop gesturing sobers as they draw nearer to the palace's gates. "The local noble showing their gratitude is always a highlight of this vocation, you know," he opines casually to the group, then, lowering his tenor slightly, "I've heard from some beetles on the olive branch that many of the local gentry see hospitality towards vanquishers as a sort of competition. A fine way to attract heroes, fulfill a Divine Tenet, and put one over one's neighbor, don't you think?"

Whether or not his speculation is sincere, Kasra seems dutifully pleased at the courses laid out for them. After the necessary kinesthetic pleasantries are dispensed with, he flutters into what he intuits as the seat most expected for him - two or three spots from the most important-looking official. Coriander offers the assembled group a smile, a nod, and then, "We thank you for the honor, Magistrate Rafhezadi, and of course to you, Your Assembled Dignity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

Zarina wears a diaphanous long-sleeved robe over a coat and baggy trousers. A simple cap rests atop dark hair now hanging down to the small of her back. She opens her mouth only to close it into a smile during the bard's expression of gratitude. "The festivities celebrating our victory are indubitably a great honour for our families," she remarks, her gaze lingering on Vashti for a moment.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She laughs and heartily takes the bread offered, and joins a part of the crowd in a cheerful song, something about a fish in a bucket and a pebble in a shoe - probably some message long lost about the divine, whatever, it doesn't make much sense, but it's a good laugh. All that is left behind when they come in out of the street and into the more severe setting of Narkavrum's leadership.

Reyhana's change of clothes are still simple, a cinched dress of drab earth tones, likely spared from a serving girl's wardrobe, and nothing makes her happier. She seems unimpressed with the Magistrate's presentation, though she remains, of course, polite. It's simply in her nature to be skeptical, if not hostile, to displays of wealth and power. And if you don't have anything nice to say...

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at May 18, 2017 around 07:45

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Feeling refreshed after having washed and rested for a spell, the warrior now marches down the streets with his companions. Cleaning the dirt and gore stains from his armour and weapons will take a while, and the clothes he wore underneath are far too torn and blood-soaked to be worn again. So now he wears a simple yet elegant shirt and trouser combination, that he finds goes well for both regal and casual dinners, as well as a well looked after short robe over the top. As comfortable and light as it is, he cannot help but feel rather naked without his weapons and shield by his side so soon after leaving the Nightmare. But he assures himself that they are safe once more. The horrors are behind them for now.

He does not revel in the attention of the crowd like Kasra and the Sister, instead keeping his eyes fixed ahead as he marches on. The weight of those they lost still remains heavy on his heart and it would feel disrespectful to their memories if he were to celebrate so soon and as if he had no care in the world. Still, it does bring a smile to his face to see the townsfolk so happy in the knowledge that they have been kept safe.

Kasra's mention of the event as they walk gains a nod from him. "Indeed," he says to the bard. "Few actions by the majority of the nobility are truly selfless. There is always a game being played..." He sighs, speaking from years of experience with such things. "Truth be told, it is why I prefer the life of a soldier than one spent dealing with political intrigue. Blessed am I to have an older brother to carry out such tasks for my family when my father is no longer able to..."

Once they enter the hall, he bows before the Magistrate as she arrives. He may have no great love for such environments, but he will remember his manners now that he has had a chance to refresh himself and better his mood.

"You have my thanks, Magistrate Rafhezadi. As well do you all," he says bowing also to the officials. "We would be honoured."

He takes a seat and picks up a glass of offered wine. "May I request that we first toast to those whose lives were lost, for they will forever be remembered as heroes in The Age of Law. And to the swift recovery of our champion, Reza."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at May 18, 2017 around 08:29

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"To the losers, then." Navid mutters, minding the sack where he hid his gifted eel. He will have to remember to trade it for drink before it goes bad, for now his attention is divided by the wine and the ale that he mixes in his stomach.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:9 W:13
AR:16 DP:8 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Yes, to those lost," Kasra quickly adds, obscuring a wry smile with the lip of his goblet. "Raise your wrists, to adventurers and Narkavrum's brave alike, lost to the Nightmares today and yesterday, but through their courage we are allowed to dream tomorrow."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Ezra

Although he wanted nothing to do with the festivities, he knew that not being a part of them would bring other problems, possibly worse ones. When he came to join the others, he wore the one of the few outfits he owned. This one made of rough fabric and natural colors. Most of the outfit consisted of a robe he had bought when he first came to these lands. When he began to associate with these people, it dawned on him that he should make an attempt to look like them. That's when he bought the robe. He knew it was overpriced and of poor quality, but he knew wearing it would help him blend in with the people of this land. Worries about it getting dirty or having some other disaster happen to it, he rarely wore it. Today was one of those days when he wore it. Although he knew it wouldn't impress anyone, he hoped it would at least differentiate himself from any beggar they might come across.

He followed behind the others as they were paraded around. With his head down, he probably looked as if he was someone's servant. It wasn't an image he wanted to contradict. No one paid attention to servants.

When they entered the audience chamber, he followed them to the table and kept an eye on them to know how he should act. When told to sit, he did.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

The Bey enters the streets of the city, her wounds dressed and the filth washed from her body. Her head is shorn, a fashion among some of the nobility to show honesty and modesty. The garb she wears is a stark contrast to the variegated lavishness of her family armor. Shodana wears simple linen clothing of a penitent consisting of pants with hempen belt and a sleeveless undyed shirt, which leaves her swollen and badly bruised shield arm on full display. A cloth wrap circles the top of her head and her jaw. The wrap keeps in place an acrid poultice on her torn cheek. Her feet are bare, leaving on full display her dry and calloused skin. Her toenails are black and broken from scabs which have formed underneath them, the effect of leading frequent patrols and skirmishes within the hilly chaparral of her homeland.

As the procession makes its way to the Magistrate's hall she smiles and is diligently polite to the exuberant crowds of Narkavrum. However, it is a veneer of civility, her true affection is reserved for the sullen eyed gaunt of frame refugees lingering on the edges of crowd, not celebrating but merely observing the adulation of the town-folk. Evidently friendly words are exchanged with them in the strange clicking tongue of her home and many cyphers from her share of the loot are passed to the bedraggled onlookers. 

As they enter the magistrate's hall, Shodana the Bey approaches the magistrate’s table, and with the proper obeisance takes a seat by her side. As is her privilege.

At Jad’s words she stands and raises her cup and with a reverential tone exclaims “To all the fallen of Navakrum, may the Divine give them succor and may they never be forgotten.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at May 21, 2017 around 23:46

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Narkavrum - Interlude (Magistrate Audience)
Ambiance

Glasses are raised in a toast to the fallen, agreement offered among the gathered government and noble men and women of the town and its council. Magistrate Rafhezadi dips her head in acknowledgement of the gathered expedition in kind, taking a measured sip of her own glass before setting it neatly aside. Folding her hands together before her, the Magistrate addresses all seated—new and old alike.

“While together we sup and the brothers and sisters of Narkavrum seek to mend all that has been broken, the need for vigilance and the Just in the face of chaos and mayhem remains ever present.” More agreement from the rest of Narkavrum’s present upper echelon. Turning her attention next to Shodana, the Magistrate dips her head once more. “You and yours have our thanks for your duty and diligence in these matters—though I fear, they have not yet reached an end.”

Murmuring and exchanged glances proliferate around the table, with Magistrate Rafhezadi spreading her palms towards those assembled. “Discovering the blossom of darkness within the bosom of the great Narkavrum was most distressing; it speaks, however, to the fester and bloom of weeds left unchecked for far too long. Severing bulbs will not staunch the stalk which foists them—and as long as the nightmare is allowed its free spread, more blood will yet be spilled to slake its ceaseless thirst.”

Drawing her fingers to steeple together, Magistrate Rafhezadi levels her gaze. “While the wise Sultan of Neth sends his great condolences and esteems in our times of trial, the burden of our task yet falls to the mantle of our shoulders—and we must bear it, on behalf of the good men and women of Law who live among our care. Narkavrum cannot—and shall not fall to be consumed from beneath by these depraved creatures and machinations—nor can we tolerate the sins of schemers or the wiles of warlocks and worse.” Her nose wrinkles at this, if only slightly.

“It is for these reasons that I would call upon you again, on behalf of the people of Narkavrum as its protector. More malevolence lurks and must be torn up by the root, lest it grow and blossom within the sanctum of Narkavrum once again.” With a gesture then, the Magistrate motions—and from above the handsomely adorned guards present, a woman steps forth of impressive stature with beautiful bronze accoutrement adorning tough lamellar armor emblazoned with Narkavrum’s officiate sigil.

“Captain Khadija Jade has reported the discovery of an enclave of disrepute not far from Narkavrum.”

Captain Khadija draws off her helmet, her dark hair cropped close beneath it, before she continues on the Magistrate’s behalf. “What we had known to be a frequent lair to banditry seems to have become much more. A company of my men sought to disperse brigands from the location, but instead discovered robed figures and… monstrous creatures responding to the call of battle in kind.” Khadija scowls, the lighter flare of a scar standing out against her chin.

Magistrate Rafhezadi continues again, a nod dismissing the Captain back to stand among the guard. “Regrettably, the site is popular to heretical belief—it had served once as foundation to idolatry of old. Previously, its inner reaches had been buried—but it would seem that recently it has been unearthed for dark purposes.” She shakes her head, several of the assembled council members wearing sour faces—though some markedly more fretful than others. “When you are rested and able, I would ask of you to seek out this site and bring its bearers low.”

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Shodana nods her head in acknowledgement of the Magistrate's request “We can leave as soon as we re-supply. We need to replace gear which was destroyed; armor, weapons, climbing equipment, and we need provisions." She looks to Captain Khadija "Captain, I take it that you lead the initial expedition, can give us more information on what you faced?"

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at May 25, 2017 around 12:24

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She pouts with downcast eyes. Zarina shifts her attention on Khadija when she hears the inquiry.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She smiles passively, taking time to admire the rim of her cup, as is befitting of her station in such august company. Reyhana beams pleasantly, setting her cup down at last, "A scholar once said, 'our problems are cast in bronze and spelled backwards.'" She nods in agreement. The sister pauses to see if anyone follows, then continues anyway, "But if the peril that weighs so heavily on the heart of Narkavrum is fiends and bandits, then I suppose right-thinking men and women cannot ignore these things."

* Bronze being the material of mirrors.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at May 25, 2017 around 11:49

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"And the minstrel replied: solutions are cast in gold, and spill towards," Kasra takes a deep draft of his goblet, gilded, while listening to the Magistrate's plea. "Heretics in the hinterlands. Now that's a familiar text. Less maddening than the Nightmare proper, but if they managed to repel a rout, I imagine they must be quite entrenched or formidable." Another drink, "We'd need pathfinders for the road; ones versed in discretion. It's likely this roost has ravens along the branches."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

It is no surprise that such a request comes so quickly. They have proven themselves capable of defeating the nightmares in their own realm and such a thing is proof of strength found to be in great demand these days. "All who bring chaos to the lives of good folk will be made to answer for their crimes. These heretics will be no exception."

He nods then to the Bey in agreement. "Indeed. We will first need time for wounds to heal, not least of which the ones sustained by Reza. The man was a great help to us and we would be unwise to not seek his assistance in this task as well. Whatever supplies and assistance we can be granted to fulfill this task will be greatly appreciated."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Narkavrum - Interlude (Magistrate Audience)
Ambiance

Magistrate Rafhezadi lifts a hand as Shodana finishes speaking, inclining her head. “I would not have you depart until your wounds have mended, much as can be hoped.” She notes. “It would do Narkavrum no justice for the wounded and weary to become lambs to the slaughter.” She turns to motion to Captain Khadija again, who dips her head before answering afterwards.

“Bandits in number on the surface—along with what I can only conclude to have been cultists among them. Criminals and cutthroats beholden to chaos and misery by blade and arrow.” Khadija begins. “But what they unearthed, into the old ruins—caverns and dark places from which the twisted folk of the depths clamored. Bestial things with scales and wicked claws—jaws like a hyena.” She shakes her head, brow knit in consternation.

Captain Khadija pauses for a moment before she continues. “My men heard cackling calls and crooning beckons, bidding them enter into the dark. Who can say what foul sacrilege against all that is righteous occurs beneath the surface?” With that, she steps back once more as the Magistrate nods, addressing the gathered again.

“It is my understanding that there may be a desire to share of the treasures you’ve recovered from the dark beyond, that Narkavrum might be enriched and strengthened. If such is true, Kamran will help make the arrangements for the council’s involvement as necessary. In the meantime, take whatever measures you deem necessary to prepare yourselves for an expedition into the badlands—and enjoy this evening’s indulgence in your recent victories.”

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Ezra

Sitting at the table, Ezra said nothing and listened. Part of him worried about breaking some social custom about speaking when leaders were speaking, but mostly he said nothing because he worried about drawing attention to himself. He worried that his appearance would mark him as a peasant or a barbarian. As long as he didn't speak up, he hoped he could avoid any kind of accusation like that. The others were quite comfortable speaking, so he hoped that meant no one was expecting him to speak up.

When the Magistrate speaks up about the new threat, Ezra dreaded the thought that more cultists were involved. The way she spoke of the cultists made him think that perhaps she thought all cultists were evil and in league with bandits. He knew he didn't want to dispute that claim. Safer to let her maintain her current prejudices against them. The information about dark and foul beasts being unleashed from the bowels of the earth at least demonstrated that these cultists were nothing like him. They worshiped some dark and sinister force. These cultists were no followers of Urr. No followers of the bringer of light would have dealings with the demons of old.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"It sounds quite treacherous," Kasra opines between pours of the flagon. Throughout the evening, he urges the night's revels to push just barely along the edge of politeness - nobles often excited in a dribble of the salacious, but rarely more in mixed company. A bawd here and a flattery there, but the lot here seemed to be made of stonier stuff than most courts of whose company Kasra has had the pleasure. He wisely backs away from racy dinner conversation and assumes a more business-like tone among the other adventurers, "I suppose one of us must quartermaster. Steel, boots, ropes, rations, libations... though after supplies and succor, I'd like to move some cyphers to the local Sulaymanean House; if we're to hover about Narkavrum and its hinterlands on a longer term, I'd prefer it had at least one house of amusement or wisdom." The bard is careful to direct his voice away from the merchants and bourgeoisie at the table.

Rolled charisma to perform for an audience with Bard ability
[21:34] <tincanmademan> !roll 1d20+4 charisma and level
[21:34] * MadBot rolled 1d20+4 for tincanmademan and got 8

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

"Oh, you are most helpful, Kasra. I had almost forgotten the loss of my precious rope - the most expensive thing I'd owned, really. One can never really go wrong with nice rope, I find. But I digress. Go! Perform!" She applauds him and watches in rapt attention.

For most of the rest of the dining, she's content to eat a little, chat a little, provide some counsel and scripture - but for the most part, she holds little interest in the other guests if they are not willing to open their heart - and more importantly their pockets - to the city's less fortunate. She can be overheard explaining her proposal to a wide-eyed ironmonger's wife, "...and so you see, I am charged with finding opportunities for good works. Narkavrum has such potential - with a little refinement, it could be a diamond amidst these rough-hewn hills. My patron has established small madrassas in several cities, but this would be a larger undertaking, you see..."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

The scholar seeks out other learned individuals to discuss matters of Law and Narkavrum throughout the evening. She specifically inquires about the foundry and its strategic importance to Neth. When drifting back to her cohorts, she perks up at the bard discussing a business venture. "A house of wisdom would be most agreeable to me, Kasra. I shall support your investment with some of my portion from our spoils," Zarina pledges her support with a smile.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

As the party ceases to address the assembled nobility the Bey privately negotiates with the magistrate on the terms of their agreement “While it may be the case that these bandits and heathens have gathered because of an incursion it is just as likely that they are simply bandits and heathens. If such is the case, it would not be appropriate for those chosen by the divine to spend their time on dealing with such scum when there is an abundant need for those such as us to deal with nightmares elsewhere in the realms of Law. Such work would be better suited to local mercenaries or the town guard. However, I see in your town a great need so I am inclined to lend you support unconditionally, but clearing bandits is un-rewarding work and we will need supplies and to replace our loses afterwards - hence the regular pay provided to those who sell their swords. So, I would ask you for a small concession on lodging and feeding us as if we were soldiers in your employee, and possibly granting a bounty per-head of bandit brought to justice.” She pauses and catches her breath “If you are unwilling to consider this – grant our band official status as defenders of the Sultanate, in which case we would nominally be under your command we would wear your insignia and symbols and thus be afforded the respect of those who serve the Law in official capacity rather than merely as freeboot adventurers.”

The Bey then spends most of the dinner conversing with the nobility of city, discussing politics, news, and the state of city. She inquires on how long the emergency grain supply can last with the city’s population swollen with refugees and with bandits choking off relief supplies and preventing arms exports. There is also the issue of grain hording by speculators and the fearful, all of which is likely to be exasperated by the influx of coin from the adventurers of her band. However, things panned out the Bey suspects there will be many hungry riotous bellies before too long. She also inquires about the latest border skirmish between Neth and Geth, and the state of her home in the east and her daughter the nominal ruler of Citadel.

Later as the group talks amongst her comrades the Bey talks quietly to Reyhana "I would gladly support a house of wisdom with my share of the spoils however I have concerns. Sister Reyhana, your talent for violence is quite remarkable – I daresay I have never seen an individual butcher men and beast with such cold efficiency.” She rubs her throat uncomfortably the memories of the combat in the depth flooding back. “Tell me sister did they teach you how to cut down men in that madrassa of yours. If so I would say I have concerns about the curriculum of those educated in such a school.” She looks Reyhana in the eyes “Long ago with the peace of the divine the Sultans of old either disbanded or outright destroyed such schools of the martial arts. No sane law-abiding individual would seek to actively promote the knowledge you seem so adept at, and I believe the Sultan would frown to know of it as well. Can you reassure local officials with some guarantee that the education provided would concern merely the scholarly and inherently peaceful – rather than the martial and seditious? If you cannot I trust you will at least be discrete and not involve me in any sordid dealings."

In the middle of the night when the crowds have disbanded and her party has drifted off to sleep she goes out into the streets to minister to her people, to provide them alms and comfort and serve as arbiter for disagreements amongst them and to lead them in dark rituals and prayer. With the prayer done she asks about those dwelling in the badlands, and asks for warning to be passed to them to disperse before the coming of her band. She does not return to her lodging til the first light of the rising sun appears, and afterwards only manages an hour of sleep before waking up and beginning the business of the day.


Negotiation - mostly I don’t want to deal with the logistics of housing and rationing, but I still want to squeeze a little bit more out of the Magistrate than we received from clearing out the butcher nightmare – either some cash per bandit head - or as another possible deal we’ll become more beholden to the Magistrate’s orders in exchange for food + lodging and a reduction in how much resentment we generate from settlements

<mpb> !roll 2d6+1
* MadBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 10
<mpb> #negotiations with magistrate
social status +1

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She listens furtively as the noblewoman addresses her in low voices, giving her some facsimile of the regard due the difference in their stations. Until at once, she laughs, a bright, airy sound, the seamstress and schoolteacher grinning wide, "My lady, I must apologize, but that is the queerest compliment I've yet been paid. That my supposed prowess could conjure such a tale! Sadly, it is rough streets and late nights that have much to do with my competence. And of course, faith." None of that is really a lie, of course. "That a trained commander could praise me so... well, it is something to behold."

She winks, humoring Shodana, "If it pleases, you are more than welcome to personally scrutinize the curricula, though it would be a simple establishment, for the simple needs of simple people. Trade skills, the Law, maths and nature - not the heady salons of greater academia, nor the sort of tutelage your daughter is given, I think - I don't know of such places myself." She smiles pleasantly and takes another healthy drink from her cup, "And perhaps, when you have seen what we can do in Narkavrum, you could invite me to your home, the Citadel, and we could see what could be done there." There's a predatory glint in her eyes, and for just an instant, the face of the schoolteacher is gone. And then it is back again, fast enough to make one doubt it had ever left.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She scoffs at Reyhana's pretense, but her eyes glimmer when she mentions coming to Citadel "I would be glad to invite you into my home, I suspect my beloved Bilya would benefit greatly from your personal tutelage." Shodana rolls an olive to and fro on her plate with the tips of her index fingers "In fact I see no reason that some of your brethren cannot go immediately to Citadel. Provided they do not attract the Sultan's attention on the way, the people of Citadel have already been far too libertine in the eyes of Sultan on the matter of religious dogma and inviting in an order which has managed to see the replacement of the Lawfully chosen Emir of Ferakheen with one of their own would invite reprisal. However, the Sultan has no eyes in Citadel itself, except for the occasional traveling merchant or bureaucrat." She pauses to take a sip of water "It is difficult to attract competent teachers to Citadel; the roads are frequently blocked by landslides and monsters from the dead province make the countryside unsafe. Your people cannot expect much in the way of pay of course, Citadel is poor, we have no mineral wealth, little arable land, nor are we situated on any major trade routes. All we have are our herds, our garrison, and the scraps the Sultan chooses to give us to sustain said garrison. Yes, we could get quite a great deal of use out of your order. If you are willing, I can send word to my folk to expect and house your associates, and make space for a madrassa."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Narkavrum - Interlude (Setting out)
Ambiance

For the remainder of the evening, libations and princely vittles are enjoyed along with a myriad mixture of company. Zarina is swift to discern that Narkavrum’s foundry serves very much as the anchor of its importance to Neth—but also sees a great deal of its production sent elsewhere throughout the region in order to outfit external forces. Such was the small irony in Narkavrum’s own comparatively spread-thin soldiers and protectors—and ever more the need for stalwart souls such as herself.

Shodana’s negotiations are leveled—and though ultimately the Magistrate remains reluctant to a more officiate conscription, she does offer the concession of coffers allotted toward the apprehension—or execution—of the lawless curs surrounding this latest intrusion of the nightmare’s reaches.

A bounty upon each bandit’s head would be provided (though the particular amount remains in question as of yet)—and as well, Narkavrum would provide a small assignment of professional fighting men and women to render assistance in dealing with the bandits and as an escort to the mouth of those maddening depths.

With the gathering concurred and celebrations completed, the intrepid men and women of the expedition are then left with what little opportunity prevails to recover—before being once more thrust back into the fray. Narkavrum proves hospitable enough for the week that follows, still obliging for the heroics thus performed—but with any such measures, the passage of time would prove the most arduous of opponents: so soon capriciousness could bristle at the periphery, sowing the seeds of resentment.

As was known by one and all, the nightmares had not ceased—and so it was for Narkavrum, with Magistrate Rafhezadi’s next entreated assignment of her ‘champions’ to be. With the agreements made at the dinner, concessions are provided among the town’s governance to assist in the establishment of new institutions—though it would take time for such seeds to bear meaningful fruit.

Supping, resting and exploring as one might muster, seven days lapse with startling alacrity, after which the morning arrives with a ready call to marshal forth into the badlands seeking out this latest of threats.

Everyone will have had a week to do as you please in between expeditions, which includes the recovery of damage to any Attributes at a rate of 1 point per day of restful activity (for those of you who took damage directly to your Health during the last excursion.)

In this span, you’ll have had an opportunity to train up to your next level, as well as pursue any shopping you deem for supplies, equipment, arms and armor. Due to the inflation caused by your recovered cyphers entering the economy, prices for everything have doubled for now—so keep this in mind when doing any purchasing from the book.

You’ll need fresh disposition rolls afterward. This is also an opportunity to seek out some shored up spells and potions and the like prior to departure. You can also pursue more hirelings as additional help on top of the fighting sorts the Magistrate is sending with you (four men and women to serve as an added escort as far as reaching the excursion itself.)

As of yet, Resentment has been mitigated down.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

Her leisure is as many others' work. In a week, she does much as she would at home, goes out amongst the community. Sews. Teaches. Plans. She talks to the man the miners look to as the closest thing they have to an Elder, she talks to the madam of the baker's street. Once she has received the Abbess' blessings via missive, she bids the ironmonger's wife, and secures a humble trading house at the heart of the markets for the planned madrasa and community center. The storage areas and stall fronts take little effort to convert - for rudimentary teaching, all one needs is shade from the sun. The wealth is unlike anything she's ever possessed before - but it makes little impression on her, a testament to her devotion, or the thoroughness of her instructors. The remaining ciphers are stored away, secured for future investments.

~

The sister is at the gates, bright and early, talking to a bare-chested dusty miner enthusiastically about something of little interest. Reyhana is clean-faced and her garments are maybe a little less frayed but otherwise, she looks much as she did upon arriving in Narkavrum. Her leather satchel is new, but the familiar haft of her hatchet juts from the flap. There is little evidence she is any more prepared for a hunt in the hills than she is for gathering herbs from the outskirts of the city, and truthfully, that may be so. She is a creature of cities, after all, not the wilds.

Bought a replacement silk rope for the one I lost in the labyrinth. Reyhana Lived Poorly during this week but made a friend!!
Contact: Hamid the Foreman, a middle-aged veteran of the mining operations of the city - which qualifies him as an elder among miners.
She has spent 100 cyphers to begin the establishment of her institutionthe Dayr. She will invest 500 more if others help make up the other 500 to get it to a Level 2 Institution! Otherwise, she will sit on her money and wait til next time to invest.
Also I rolled a 3 on my Disposition. ur bot sucks

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

A reddened Zarina follows through with her promise to assist in establishing a local branch of the Sulaymanean House. She donates a hundred cyphers to the sister's charitable venture soon after handing Kasra the same sum. The young woman hones her craft when she's not investigating the Rafhezadi name. A handsome historian called Hasan Etrin joins her investigation and commits to working on it while she quests against the nightmare. When it's time to embark on their mission, her yawning betrays a fitful sleep. Otherwise, she fidgets and squirms on her newly bought steed.

Disposition & Psychic Armour 2: * MadBot rolled 1d4 for Razeam and got ( 1 1 ) for a total of: 2! 25 cyphers per week on living well, Charisma check gained a contact: * MadBot rolled 2d6+1 for Razeam and got 8; buying a horse, saddle and saddlebags for 220c; replenishing torch sack for 2c; Investing 100c into the Sulaymanean House and 100c into the Dayr.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

The warrior spends his week between expeditions resting and healing the numerous amounts of wounds sustained in the Nightmare realm. On each day he still trains with his blades and some newly acquired throwing axes, but far more lightly than he would usually. He knows all too well that he needs to give his body appropriate time to heal so that he can more quickly bring the fight back to those deserving of it. On one day he accompanies Sister Reyhana on her excursion to found an institution for the people. Wounded as he is, he still lends his strength to clearing the rooms and setting things in place ready for use. When done, he thinks nothing of providing some coin to invest into the new centre. What is he fighting for if not to provide safety for such places to grow?

~

On the morning of their travel, the warrior is one of the first at the gates. He once more wears his silver-coloured armour that's now been cleaned, treated and looks almost like new despite a few new small dents on closer inspection. Some of his wounds still have yet to heal fully but he is not about ready to sit this out.

He stands brushing down a newly purchased horse and checking once more over all the mount's fittings. He still has yet to pick a name for the steed but perhaps the travel to their objective will provide inspiration.

-One whole week of restful activity puts me at 12 Health, still 1 point off from full.
-Re-rolled Disposition and got 10.
-Bought Throwing Axes x4 for 40c and also a horse with all the gear for 220c.
-Bought x10 days of rations for 60c
-Helping to invest 200c into the Dayr.
-340c left over and stored.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2017 around 18:19

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

The day after the feast, Shodana takes Reyhana to the slums in which the refugees from Citadel congregate and implores her to employ refugees, she points out individuals who she talked to the night of the feast, a gaunt and hungry bunch, whom she believes are the neediest and have requisite skill-set and temperament to work at the Dayr, before passing Reyhana a hundred cyphers and distributing a few more cyphers worth of alms to her hungry kinfolk. Her nights are devoted to her role as Priestess, she administers the rituals of her deity in the hidden nooks and crannies of the city, she emphasizes the need for those among the faithful to hide their true nature and seek to make themselves of use to their oppressors. One day the Divine and the Law would disappear, as the conquerors of this land before them had, but those who believed in the nameless god would remain as they always had. She mentions Reyhana in her sermons as one whose actions might bring about the end of the Divine's rule - this one will turn the lowest who worshipped the Divine against the highest. Blood would run freely throughout the land and the cult would grow fat and happy upon Law worshippers' mutual slaughter. With a seasoned campaigner's vitality and sleeping habits Shodana makes use of her days for less unseemly activity. She spends some of the time preparing her spells and pouring over manuscripts to enhance her repertoire. She also spends some time with Zarina attempting to deduce all the effects of the Amulet of Feasting and consulting with her about the arcane, specifically about the nature and origin of nightmares - academically she inquires to Zarina whether the Divine may have had some hand in development of nightmares, as the historical record showed no real evidence of the nightmares before the coming of the Law to the Kingdom of dreams nor were nightmares a typical occurrence in barbarian lands. Her investigation of the functions of the Amulet leads her to contact Abdul Alhazred "the mad", a scholar and antiquarian of some renown and whom she befriends despite his strange behavior. With a few days left to the start of the expedition she meets with Captain Khadija to go over the logistics and planning for the expedition, she finds the Captain's professionalism to be refreshing and in stark contrast to her own band of individually minded adventurers. Shodana discusses with the Captain the importance of bringing back live bandits for interrogation, but also as a potentially lucrative business deal - any bandits brought back alive could be sold into slavery depending on physicality and disposition to the mines or as mamluks for the Sultans slave armies or as domestics. Shodana also attempts to negotiate trading some of the profits of the expedition in exchange for borrowing a horse, the Captain flatly refuses this.

~

The day of the expedition she emerges from a tower house near the gates. Resplendent in her prismatically colored armor and new silver helmet, she nonetheless feels a slight twinge of embarrassment leading mounted men on foot. However that passes and quickly and barks the order to march when all have assembled.



<mpb> !roll 2d6+1 # negotiate borrowing of a horse for the expedition with the Captain
* MadBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 6

<mpb> !roll 2d6+1 #lifestyle roll
* MadBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 11
-Contacts gained Abdul Alhazred scholar/ antiquarian who specializes in bizarre magical artefacts and lore
-Contact gained Captain Khadija of the city guard

<mpb> !roll 2 1d6 # new disposition
* MadBot rolled 1d6 for mpb and got ( 1 4 ) for a total of: 5



Expenditures
262 Cultist restriction - alms to the poor cultists 200 c goes to establishing a local cult, 62 c goes back home to her family's branch of the cult
100 Reyhana's Dayr
100 tower shield
20 helmet
4 sling
4 a dozen bullets
25 living expenses for living well
4 Rope 50'
12 2 Rations
4 a dozen torches
-7 selling shield


Spells Memorized:
1. Inspiration
2. Inspiration
3. Inspiration

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:17/17 I:13 W:16
AR:17 DP:5 SPD: 7

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Much of Kasra's leisure time is spent at the burgeoning Sulaymanean House - lounging about its canopy beds and telling tales at the small theatre, yes, but also in establishing logistics, and managing the soft flow of cyphers he and Zarina manage to scrounge together. Some of it is sent to the good Sister's mission on the paved ends of the road, for what good is a house of letters without those to learn them? Kasra's local manager handles most of the finer figures, though clucks her tongue at the notion of such a band routing a nest of, by most accounts mundane bandits.

On the eve of their expedition, Kasra manages to emerge from some doorway or another to procure a fine yew long bow, replacing the scavenged one found in the morass of meat below. Fresh leathers are bought, and several hours spent to accessorize them into something approaching couture. Nothing lavish, though when he arrives at the gates in the morning his wallets and purses are oddly flat and lifeless.

It was a string of beggar's at Orphan's Way, Kasra claims - the bard could not deny himself one last act of blind altruism and had spread the last of his pocket money as alms. Or such is the story he tells in the morning. His hair is unkept, his gear haggard, there are bits of what could be die or tile ink along his fingertips, and his aroma carries the faint tang of what might be expensive liquours or cheap perfumes.

"Good morrow, salutations, and hello." Kasra is hunched and blinking throughout their preparations. It's clear he's afflicted with an ache in the skull - no doubt inflicted by the weight of his charity.

Buying a longbow, some ammunition, and light armor. Putting 100 into the Dayr and 100 into the Sulaymanean House; Living Poorly Roll:

[02:40] <tincanmademan> !roll 2d6 living poorly
[02:40] * MadBot rolled 2d6 for tincanmademan and got 6

Lost all me money

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Ezra

The week was spent on the outskirts of the city proper. The place where the dispossessed and the transients could find shelter. The cyphers he had made sure that his accommodations involved a roof and some bedding. While the accommodations themselves weren't bad. Being surrounded by so many people made him uneasy. He didn't understand how so many people could be comfortable being forced to live so close together. As he lived among them, he grew to know them. A part of him realized that these were the people would be most willing to join his faith. The religion of the civilized was nice to speak of, but it didn't alleviate the suffering of people at the lowest rung of society's ladder.

After the week had passed, Ezra made his way to the gate. The week was good to him and he thought he was prepared for the upcoming tribulations. Seeing the other members of the expedition, he nodded towards them.


Bought 10 days of rations (60c), Rope 50' (4c). Quality Barber-surgeon tools (100c) (rolled 2d6 and got 5). Ezra lived poorly (10c)

Rolled for living poorly:

Docbubonic !roll 1d20
MadBot rolled 1d20 for Docbubonic and got 14

Made 2 contacts. I'll come up with them later.

174c in expenses, giving the Dayr 200c. Also saving 446c for future cult investment.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Badlands - Wilderness Travel
Ambiance

Departing from Narkavrum accompanied by an escort of four members of the town watch, the men and women of the expedition set forth once more—seeking to bring righteous law to the doorstep of another precipice of the nightmare’s reach. Traveling into the badlands sprawling further from the reaches of the foundry’s environs, the sun hangs high over that span of stony strata and sparse vegetations.

Of what little shade is found, intermittent patches of growth and respite may be spied—but over the journey’s course uncertain glances are cast with regularity to nearby hills and rocky slopes interspersed among eroded, clay-rich soil. Camp on the first evening away from town proves a tense affair, with posted guards peering intently into the star-lit wilds; strange whispers seem to carry on the wind, with steeds restless and nerves on edge.

But despite apprehensions, no ambush blossoms among the dark—perhaps a credit to the size of the amply armed ensemble or its soldierly escort. In the morning, camp is broken and the remainder of the journey as directed proceeds largely without deterrence beyond the inhospitable nature of the land itself—a testament perhaps to the faltering of all that was Right and Law.

Midway through the morning, the party discovered the burnt-out remnants of what had seemingly been a traveling wagon of merchants or pilgrims; plucked well clean of belongings or wares, only the barest of grisly detritus suggests that men had been struck down in the vicinity—their bodily remains conspicuously absent. After satisfying curiosity and concern alike, the party proceeds—and by early afternoon, the escorts offering guidance signal that the destination lies ahead.

Badlands - Ruins Approach
Ambiance

High above, the sun hangs in the sky as the noontime hour approaches, heat wafting visibly in wavering distortions off of rocky outcroppings and stretches of dusty, gravel-laden terrain. Patches of tall grasses and other disparate growth cling tenaciously here and there—while together, a winding, somewhat shallow valley stretches among eroded slopes of stone and pockmarked clay.

With careful precision, Sister Reyhana and her accompaniment reconnoiter the approach ahead—discovering the interspersed presence of ancient stelae of varying sizes and complexities, in as much as time and the elements have not weathered away their markings. Craggy mounds and rock grow more prevalent deeper into the valley, culminating in a broader span which encircles the partially unearthed entrance of a ruined temple of sorts—a relic of an era long-since passed.

From a distance and the benefit of cover, nine figures are identified about the vicinity before the ruins proper—men and women garbed in drapery to shield themselves from the sun and other elements, keeping mostly to the shade. Each figure seems to wear a scimitar at their hip, and several seem to carry slings or javelins as well. Higher among the ruins, at least two individuals are spied with bows, presently resting while keeping watch. Bandits, the escort assures the ensemble—and not all of them, as well as they can remember.

At present, they do not seem to be on particularly high alert—seemingly well sated in their remote lair. From what can be discerned, at least two wagons had been claimed and stowed among the ruins, with a great fire pit having been dug out at the center of their camp. There are horses and donkeys also visible, penned in within an enclosure off to once side. Toward the rear of the encampment a trio of cages hang above the ground—and within one languishes what appears to be a woman of tattered garb trying to shield herself from the sun.

Even at a distance, one can intermittently hear the dull clinking and clanking of pickaxes emanating from the shadow-shrouded entrance to the ruins. Rubble and debris have been piled high to either side of the stony archway—and it is clear that some active effort of excavation is underway.



Good news for a few of you who had poor fortune checking your disposition before setting out: the party managed to complete the first leg of travel without encountering anything, surprisingly. After the evening’s rest, you now re-roll your disposition; unfortunately, this may also mean that some of you now end up with a lower roll. Nevertheless, not a bad trade-off for making it through the badlands without a fight (or worse!)

Now you’ve arrived with the guidance of your escort (which also meant that the party got to skate by without having to make navigation checks or the like.) You presently have the element of surprise, it would seem—though the bandits appear to enjoy a modestly defensible position, should alarm be raised.

They do not have any meaningful defensive structures beyond segments of ruined walls or stony outcrops; the valley approach itself is winding, with rocky outcrops and dilapidated, crumbling structures interspersed intermittently—thankfully offering some cover along the way.

You do also have four members of Narkavrum's guard in attendance, though it is your discretion how you aim to press them into participation from here, if you decide to do so; their original assignment was to help defend you in case if you encountered resistance along the way, and guide you to your destination.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She is in good humor, here in the daylight, taking a seat on a sun-baked rock, "I do not imagine we could go and speak with them, civil-like? Not all who wander outside the cities are lost souls." She is maybe only half-joking.

Others have contributed 400 ciphers collectively, so Reyhana will dump pretty much all her remaining wealth in and get it to 1000! To upgrade to a tier 2 institution. Hooray! We're building a community!
Disposition: 8

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 05:55

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana

The Bey was not in a particularly good mood. 

The last half of the march had been a tiring slog in hilly terrain made infinitely worse by wearing armor in the heat of the day, but what had really caused the Bey to go up the wall was Zarina’s horse.  The colt had its rear end a few feet from Shodana’s face for most of march and it seemed to delight in tormenting the Bey. When Shodana attempted to lead the march it would canter ahead, when the Bey resigned herself to walking in the rear or in an intermediate position within the column the colt would slow down. All the while it dropped dung at her feet and kicked half the trail into her face.

As the bandit camp came into view, Shodana her eyes watering and her face covered in dust and nicked by kicked up gravel projectiles, attempts to rally her band’s allies to fight, while maintaining a volume of speech low enough not to attract attention of the bandits “Warriors of Narkavrum you have seen the wreckage and ruin that these bandits…” She coughs violently and spits up dusty phlegm, she resumes as the coughing subsides “…these bandits have caused to your land it is time to bring these Law-breakers to justice!”

She turns to address her campanions her face flushed “Here is what I propose; we will attempt to take them by surprise, but Sister Reyhana go ahead in secret and will scale the heights that their lookouts occupy. When she signals, we will begin our attack upon the main body, and then she may dispatch their archers while they are distracted by our assault.” She pauses “We will attempt to take captives if it does not endanger those within our band. If anyone is inquisitive about this line of action or has sage advice to add, it is best to let your voice be heard now.”  

<mpb> !roll 2d6 # new disposition
* MadBot rolled 2d6 for mpb and got 2

<mpb> !roll 2d6+1 # inspire the soldiers to fight + social status
* MadBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 3


C:10 D:9 F:15 H:17/17 base:(14/14) I:13 W:16
AR:17 DP:2 SPD: 7

Memorized spells- 3x Inspiration
This spell allows one target you can see, hear, or touch to re-roll their Disposition score. If the new roll is lower than their current Disposition, instead of using the new roll, they add caster level to their current Disposition. They can choose to re-roll Psychic Armour instead of Disposition.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 07:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Jad sets orders for the Narkavrum guard to take up scouting and defensive positions within their formation as they ride, slipping into this militaristic role almost unconsciously as he is so used to giving orders to those looking for them. He does not attempt to subvert the Bey's overall authority though, merely giving the guards the quick order before he slips into silence and keeps watch himself too.

Once the stop is called on their arrival at the ruins, he slips down to solid ground and secures the various horses amongst the party. He keeps back as those who scout further on bring back news of the bandits. He grimaces and curses under his breath at the mention of the caged woman. "Barbaric bastards." He will feel no guilt if he has to kill them, but he does agree with the Bey's order; Taking prisoners to face justice is always preferable to granting them a quick death.

He unsheathes his sword and readies his shield, carrying only weapons and armour whilst leaving all else with his horse.

After the Bey gives her rousing speech and sets out her orders, he nods. "A decent plan, if our Sister does not mind splitting off alone." He looks to Reyhana. "I would suggest someone accompany you so that you are not left to fight alone, but I doubt any in our band are capable of stealth quite like you..."

When suggests are asked for, he speaks once more. "We should think of securing the female prisoner quickly, or she may be used as a hostage against us. If our Narkavrum guard are willing, may I suggest that they and I first cut a path to the lady where I can then leave them to secure her safety whilst I help subdue her remaining captors."

AR: 16. DP: 6
Cha 7, Dex 11, Fer 13, Health 12/13, Int 8, Will 8.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«13 »