Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
  • Post
  • Reply
tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Coriander follows their little press, walking surely but fluidly along the cobblestone streets. He smiles as Shodana makes her requests, "Prudent planning, oh Bey," a bit of a bow, "Armor me as you wish, but don't expecting this poor adventurer to be thrust into the forefront of battle. Morale is my demesnes, though I have been known to resort to ferocity when need be." He brandishes a thin dagger, flourishing it between his fingers before it returns to his belt. Walking backwards, he addresses Kamran and his bobbing, grey beard, "There is to be had, most awkwardly and necessarily, the uncouth talk of cyphers. Should we escape unscathed and victorious, which is of course the result all parties do truly hope for, what has your Magistrate in her purse to offer us? And please don't say roast goat and a princess's kiss." Kasra sighs dramatically, "I once sold my services for such, and was given the stringiest and driest portion of both."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Narkavrum - Butchery

Kamran bows his head to Shodana before moving swiftly to the door of the hall--waiting only long enough for those assembled within to rouse together before he sets off down the dusty path back from the outskirts of Narkavrum. Above, the sun has begun to dip towards the horizon, ocher hues cast across rooftops and creeping midst the alleyways between buildings. With Kamran taking to an earnest lead, passerby begin to pay mind to the men and women following the attendant--and before long, a trio of guardsmen can be seen standing abreast before a narrow street, adorned in the ruddy garb of Narkavrum's watch.

Listening to Shodana along the way, Kamran's brow knits in some consternation--gaze darting to the woman's counterparts as she gestures. "That is, ah--that request..." He seems to consider for a moment before nodding, moving quickly to the three watchmen before speaking in quick lilting intonations, gesturing. Exchanging glances with one another, the guards seem prepared to protest--before a wayward look towards the new arrivals gives them pause. Together, the three of Narkavrum's watch shed their leather cuirasses; the fit might leave something to be desired and the armor leaves one's arms exposed, but it was an improvement over nothing at all.

"Torches, yes, of course." Kamran mutters afterward, gesturing and snapping his fingers. "Torches!" He calls; a small crowd has begun to gather as murmurs spread. After a few moments, a young man steps forth with give torches bundled in his arms, tipped with soaked cloth. Nodding in approval, Kamran moves then ahead. "It is there." He notes anxiously, gesturing down the way: a few doorways lined the path ahead, a taupe awning sagging over a small stall with an overturned chair beside it. Opposite the stall, the way forward is clear.

Where the dusty stones of the street trail on, a squat building of mud bricks boasts a sign which reads 'Butcher' in the common tongue; the doorway beneath it sits open with dark smears of brown and black staining the stones and mat before it. At the far end of the narrow street, two more of the Narkavrum watch can be glimpsed, watching the new arrivals with no small interest.

After drawing nearer and glimpsing through the doorway, the interior of the butcher's shop appears largely derelict--but the door to what may have been the larder boasts a stairway descending into darkness. A dull stink of rotten meat emanates from the entryway, cloyingly offensive to one's nostrils.

Nightmare Incursions Primer
You've arrived at the entrance of your first Nightmare Incursion, which may be comprised of one or more lairs within. Your ultimate goal, in order to dispense with the incursion, is the recovery of whatever anchors are present deep within any lairs that may be present. A lair's anchor could be all sorts of things, big or small, but universally they are always monetarily valuable--and you'll always know an anchor when you see one (another perk like your ability to resist madness and mutation just by wandering into an incursion.) How fortunate for you!

As a party, you've a few things you'll need to consider in the typical sense--but foremost off the bat is whether you advance carefully or quickly. I encourage you to chat among yourselves in IRC for these sorts of things when forming a strategy as we proceed.

When you're being methodical, Scholar and Thief characters automatically find hidden things (provided the lair you're in is not above their level) and you are presumed to be able to successfully map out--physically and mentally--the layout of the lair as you move. There will undoubtedly be times ahead where your party wants to move with all due haste--such as if you encounter something extraordinarily perilous and need to flee from it, or other time constraints necessitate such. In those cases, you'll end up with gaps in your map and you're no longer so readily going to find hidden discoveries.

However, there are more poignant notes regarding which approach your party takes: out-of-combat exploration of a lair takes place in 'turns' of roughly five to ten minutes. When your party is electing for the slow, methodical approach, every turn that passes a check will be made for random encounters; additionally, checks are made for random encounters any time the party makes a ruckus. When your party is moving quickly, however, random encounters are only checked if you make a ruckus. Additionally, light sources are another consideration; torches last an hour and resting uses up any lit torches at the time.

So, to recap:

Moving Carefully
• All characters may search for traps, secret doors, and hidden treasure.
• Characters tend to move quietly when moving carefully.
• GM checks for random encounters every turn, and if the party makes a ruckus.
• Movement rate per turn is restricted by Speed score.

Moving Quickly
• Characters make more noise when moving quickly.
• GM checks for random encounters only when the party makes a ruckus.
• If movement rate is necessary, use rounds or minutes instead of turns.
• Only thieves may search for traps, secret doors, and hidden treasure.

Do note, this is chiefly concerned with random encounters--and existent encounters in a given lair are independent of this (which is where it matters whether you're being more quiet by moving carefully vs. making more noise by moving quickly.) Know also that a nightmare incursion may be comprised of multiple lairs, each with their own anchors, hazards, etc.; as your approach to this is by necessity somewhat free-form, I'm making note simply to advise you that at times discretion may be the better part of valor: Nightmares Underneath fully expects there may be times that you're forced to retreat and regroup if you're in over your heads.

Finally, if anyone has not yet done so, make sure you all have your Disposition determined before you proceed (most if not all of you already did your initial rolls during character creation in the recruit thread.)

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Reyhana

Her eyebrows tilt in concern as the bey makes her request. A protest starts to form in her throat, but the pragmatic side of her holds it down. Turning to the guardsman that has approached her, she solemnly bids him give her his name. "I will see this is returned to you."

She takes the cuirass and begins to fasten it neatly - a little oversized but she more than makes to, pulling the armor on. Casting her eyes down the alley, she drops her sack to the ground and crouches down to fish out a worn looking old hatchet - probably used for busting apart planks or other toolwork. Pulling up her hood, she graciously accepts a torch for her other hand. Dryly, she looks to the others, "See the armor is returned to him, please."

When Kamran does them the favor of pointing to the ominous, darkened Butcher's shop, she blinks at him, "Are you certain?" Without waiting to see if her sarcasm has landed, she moves down the alley to get a better gander.

C: 8 D: 14 F: 13 H: 9 I: 10 W: 12
AR: 13 DP: 5 SPD: 8

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 10:10

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug

Shodana drops her smile - her face loses any warmth. It is surprising how much more time worn and leathery her face is without that smile. She begins barking orders. "Kasra fewer words now, strip off your top and get your armor on, we have a job to do now. Talk of reward can come later - I will take the lead. Macit you seem to have the keenest senses of all of us, you'll follow a pace behind me. Macit, will be followed by Navid, Reza, and Jad."

"Kasra and Zarina, you will be next in line and you will support the frontline."

"Musra, you are our rearguard I would have you in the frontline, but I do not like the state of your armor and I want a competent fighter in the rear, so that we are not caught unawares."

"Sister Reyhana, you are our reserve, we will attract the attention of whatever creatures dwell in this place - you will flank them. I leave it to you to decide how to move, but keep out of sight of our foes and let those with real armor stay in the lead."

"We do not know what this nightmare contains - we will take this slowly. Navid if you rush ahead of us - if you endanger any us in a stupid way I will rip your balls off and feed them to you."

She takes out her ornate spell book, and addresses Reza. "I am about to bestow a gift of the Divine upon you, be not afraid, may you smite the enemies of the Law " she mutters an incantation. For those of you familiar with magic the incantation seems off for several reasons. The words are strange - oddly foreign and the incantation itself is oddly quiet, it seems almost like it is half mumbled. There is no showy effect, no glow no sort of light show at all. And finally it seems like Shodana has botched some of the verb tenses in the incantation on accident.


<mpb> !roll d20 #casting inspiration on Reza target 11
* LawBot rolled d20 for mpb and got 12
<mpb> !roll d8 #miscast inspiration
* LawBot rolled d8 for mpb and got 8
Effect of Miscast: The smell is half effective (up to the GM to interpret this effect)
Effect of Inspiration: This spell allows one target you can see, hear, or touch to re-roll their Disposition score. If the new roll is lower than their current Disposition, instead of using the
new roll, they add caster level to their current Disposition. ey can choose to re-roll Psychic Armour instead of Disposition.

(if nothing else Reza feels slightly refreshed)

She removes another book from her backpack and tosses it to Kamran.

"This is for my husband and daughter in citadel, if I die make sure they get it." She fastens her shield to her back straps and unsheathes her bastard sword with her right hand and grabs a torch with her left hand.

"The stink of corruption comes from the larder, we will start there and make our way back up." "No debate now, only action." She carefully begins moving towards the larder.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2016 around 02:57

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Reyhana

She turns back and raises an eyebrow as the noblewoman issues marching orders. Her expression darkens, stormy eyes honing in hard on that beetle-helm. The look grows darker still as the spell is cast, and her grip tightens around the haft of her dull hatchet. The moment passes, and her expression lightens back to that serene low-key cheer, a smile beaming back to the party, "Um, well, alright then - I will try not to get in anyone's way." Her hand has not loosened upon her weapon.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

As the discussion of proper payment is deflected, Kasra gives an indifferent shrug with shoulders now weighed down with leather and buckles. "Don't complain to me when you're trying to chew through inedible goat," he jests, not unkindly. The bard takes a torch, twirling the dry stake and feeling the heft of the oilcloth, "And I've a charm for bravery, if the need arises."

Kasra ostentatiously positions himself along an imaginary grid, punctuated with an exaggeratedly deferential tip of his head, "Fourth laterally, as instructed. As far as all this," he waggles his fingers, "tactical appointment goes, I'll give some advice: in this line of work, most adventurers already have a keen enough sense of what they're good at doing. And every man you meet knows himself better than you do, the day you meet him," the bard pauses. "That's from a good fortune benediction I learned along the riverbeds, but it doesn't rhyme unless it's in Narangi. And the luck is always better if it rhymes." He sighs.

Coriander creates a space between his palm, roughly a person's girth, and feels the empty air between he and Sister Reyhana. He shuffles his feet forwards, adjusting. "And what of you, wise Abbess? We've already spells and foreign rhymes of questionable efficacy. Have you a prayer to the Divine before we sally forth?" He considers for a few seconds, "I don't mean that flippantly. Prayers embolden the spirit and bring us closer to the Law we descend to uphold. Especially if they rhyme, even a little bit."

Disposition: 6, Memorized Spell: Fearlessness

tin can made man fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 11:14

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

The warrior remains silent through the meet and greet, choosing rather to listen and analyze the various characters he is to be working with. Some, if not most, seem hardly the sort to fair well in combat against the Nightmares, but one cannot be picky with who has the gift of keeping their wits about them when descending into the deep. And he must admit, he has been surprised by seemingly ordinary folk who reveal themselves to posses power able to fight back even the fiercest of beasts, so perhaps this rag-tag assortment of strangers might prove themselves heroes of the people yet.

When all have arrived and names, titles and pleasantries have been passed around, he is the first to stand when the decision to start their task is uttered. "Finally. The longer we wait, the longer the Nightmare taints the land and lives of these innocents." And with that, he follows first behind Kamran to the site of the incursion, offering the man some words of comfort as they walk. "Fear not, for if they yet live we shall bring them home. And if they have fallen then their memories will be forever immortalized as heroes of Law."

As they come upon the butcher's shop, he follows Reyhana up to inspect the interior. Dark, derelict and smell of rotting meat; it is indeed a place of Nightmares if ever he saw one.

He offers no objection the Bey's marching orders, just simply readies his shield on his left forearm and checks over his armour once more before drawing his sword. "When we find the beasts down there, I suggest those at the front move to stand behind me."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug

Shodana wills herself to ignore Kasra.
<mpb> !roll 1d20 #Ignore Kasra willpower target 16
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 11

There is no response as she stoically marches on.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Should your shield arm feel fatigued, I know some stretches and massages which will loosen and warm the muscle. As well as some dances from the southern mystics which stimulate the muscles and clear the mind; they do occasionally compel a person's wind, but they are invigorating for reasons beyond that."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Reyhana

She flashes the bard a wan smile, correcting him without much ado, "Sister." Casting her eyes up to the stars, then back to the butcher shop, "How about... 'Courage grows in the light of necessity, from the soil of duty.'" Real warmth comes from the smile on her face as she hold her torch aloft, "Whatever reasons have brought you all here for, and by whatever grace has been given us, the people of this town need our help. It can only be us. We should remember that."

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 11:51

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

He turns slowly around to look at the bard, eyebrow cocked with a face of stone, and simply stares at the man for a few seconds before turning back to look at the butcher's shop without a word. Although the helmet he wears hides his face from behind, the bard might still hear the warrior chuckling softly.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad accepts the armor without much comment or thanks, but put it on anyway. Better than nothing. When the bey mentions the book, he briefly speaks as well. "If I die, and one of you passes by Neth, there is a sanitarium there. Take my part of any reward, and deliver it for a patient there named Malik, and tell them it's the last contribution.'

At the Bey's words, he scowled a bit. "I better not be denied my share of slain nightmares. I did not come here to watch others kill them." Once inside, he briefly runs his arm over the edge of the blade, drawing blood. "There. Unlucky to try to through a battle unblooded. It's tempting fate."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

He turns to Musad, observing the drawing of his own blood without a word but offering a nod of understand when he locks eyes with the man. "Worry not, friend. More blood than your own will meet your sword edge today, I'll guarantee it. Plenty of beasts down there to share, I'd wager." He offers a slight smile to the desert man. "They'll know the pain they have caused others soon enough."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit stands from the table, his wine only half drunk and follows the attendant, replacing his mask. He had not expected to be part of the first group into the incursion, but only two days ago they lost another? He suppresses a shudder looking at the entrance, the foul stink of meat reminding him of a midden outside a restaurant he had once had to hide out in. The stench hadn't come off for days. The deep darkness emanating from the stairwell was like nothing he had ever experienced before, even from a life spent in the shadows. He feels his senses starting to twang, that feeling of sharpening and focusing before a job. He takes a deep breath of the foul air and makes himself slow down. The focused man misses things, the sharp man cuts too deep.

He bristles as the Bey starts barking orders, but nods to his place. Let the one who worships something out of nightmares lead them into the Nightmare. He watches as the others perform their various good luck rituals and say their piece. Macit sits cross legged, checking his tools and packing them neatly in their places. "Did the others who were lost have their rituals and blessings too?" he says, scraping some grime off of a pick with his nail, "Do what you will, but be ready to rely on yourself"

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 15:17

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid interrupts the putative leader the second she turns hostile towards him, "I will not be spoken to this way. If you want to lead you must learn respect. Apologize if you think you deserve any authority in this group. The burden appears to be too much for you.

"Jad is best in the front with you, he has armor as hard and together you can keep enemies from running past.

"Macit, I will lend you my bow. Fall back at the first sign of enemies and support us from there.

"And Musad is his name. He is slow of step and I should switch places with him, and weapons as well, because his has better range."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 17:45

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

"Oh for sand's sake. I'm sure the bey didn't mean whatever the hell you think she meant, Navid. We're about to go fight nightmares, not at court somewhere. We need to focus on killing these damned things, not on snapping at each other because of some hurt pride. And see how you're now also trying to give orders? Can you imagine how much fun that's going to be in the middle of battles with two people shouting orders? THAT'S why you don't 'let a leader arise naturally', you pick one up front, by lots if needed. I'd rather have one foolish commander giving clear instructions, than two geniuses shouting conflicting commands. She spoke up. She's in charge. If she does badly and we live, we'll pick another one next time."

The battle approaching made the desert-folk fighter's blood run hotter, and he clenched his polearm eagerly. Today, some measure would be repaid.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"It is better to air our concerns outside of the dungeon than to suppress them when we need every advantage we can glean. This is no challenge for leadership. I will listen to you, Shodana, inside the dungeon, as you speak the quickest and rose the fastest, as I said the leader would rather than being chosen by committee."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 17:54

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

"A butcher's seems an inauspicious place for this," Reza comments, studying the exterior of their location . "Just a touch too direct for a place where beasts will be slaughtered." To the proposed marching orders he simply nods and places his helmet back on, and readies his steel. He feels a little bit of...something, as he does, from the incantation.

"Prayers, and recitations, and rhymes. These are all to the good, and much appreciated. But it is faith in the Law that is our most surest shield. Let us remember that. Our disputes can wait, else we can discuss them in a civilized manner, for we are supposed to be a civilized people." He smiles, and doesn't seem to be addressing any of them in particular. "Is that not so?"

Not sure if I'm rerolling disposition from Inspiration or not because of the miscast.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 17:58

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit accepts the bow from Navid with a nod. He strings the bow and plucks it approvingly. The string makes a long sustained note, mid toned and sonorous. "Thank you, brother," he says with genuine gratitude, a hint of surprise entering his voice. "It'll be a fine friend indeed."

Macit slings the bow over his shoulder, securing the arrows around his waist, on the side opposite his pry bar. He stands and stretches, jumping lightly on his heels. He can barely smell the place anymore, just a stinging in his nose to remind him that he was used to it. He hopes that it doesn't dull his sense of smell too much, just in case it becomes necessary.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra Coriander

"Some oxen chafe against the wagoner's yoke, while others crave the whip, so long as it moves the caravan forward," Kasra gives an upward push of his shoulders once more, "But when one travels the road by foot, and not palanquin, one sees plenty of carts careened along the trail; sometimes because the beasts refused the merchant, or the merchant refused the beasts. Looking at splintered wheels and burst crates, it's impossible to tell which." The bard claps his hands together and attempts to warm the group with a smile, his oiled mustache bobbing as his lips curl, "Come, there are nightmares to behold. So long as I am ringed by strong men and women with powerful arms and sharp blades, I am satisfied." He falls in behind the crusader, Shadhevar, then smiles at their masked thief. "Our trapfinder, Macit, has the most unenviable duty of all. Should an errant dart or swinging blade come thrusting at me from the walls, I shall have sharp words with you, sir." He chuckles.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit glances at Kasra and gives him a wink. "Sharp is what happens to you if I fail, not me. And if it does happen, I'll make sure it's quick enough."

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

The bard laughs, "Thank the Divine for small mercies."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug

She gives the group enough time to make preparations. "Lets go." she barks then she lights her torch and moves into the room adjacent to the larder. Whoever is following her is following her. The smell of old death brings back fond and terrifying memories of the hallowed places of her deity.

OOC:Shodana spends a turn searching the room that is connected to the larder
<mpb> !roll 1d20 #dex searching room next to the larder
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 17


MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2016 around 01:55

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She continues to observe having taken her place in their formation alongside Kasra.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Narkavrum - Butchery

Once raised hackles and roused tempers and tempered and tamped, the fated folk advance into the butchery proper--first taking a preliminary examination of the surface structure before addressing the dark recess of the larder ahead. Above, all the signs of an ordinary butcher's shop remain--but all meat that may once have been present has been whisked away, leaving only gristle and dry, foul-smelling residue clinging to most surfaces.

Arriving at the top of the descent into the larder, it is unmistakable to any present: the way ahead crosses the threshold into the nightmare realm.

Sanctum of Slaughter - Entrance
Ambiance

Down the steps, one by one, the fated assembly descends--for more than twenty feet beneath the surface of Narkavrum, clearly far deeper than ought be reasonable for a humble butcher's larder. The way is dark, staved off only by lit torches as eyes gaze keenly into the flickering gloom--that fetid, nauseous aroma growing only more potent as each makes their way below, the source soon enough apparent upon reaching the landing beyond.

At the foot of the steps, a sort of antechamber awaits--resembling the stores of the butcher's shoppe in some crude facsimile. Sixty feet long and forty wide, the chamber's ceiling hangs perhaps ten overhead--comprised of dark, wet-looking earth bleeding curious moisture here and there. Throughout the chamber there are tables and benches arrayed for the preparation of meat, along with the broken remnants of what had once been wooden furnishings.

Streaked about the stone floor are trails of dark brown and ruddy muck--with thick remnants leading toward the first conspicuous sight within the chamber: a sizable opening, some seven foot squared, is set into the floor to the far corner. Ringed in rusty-looking metal, a cautious approach spies the pit trailing deep into the earth below--farther than torchlight seems apt to reveal. From beyond the dark of the pit, a fetid smell of offal and other unidentifiable miasma seems to emanate.

Venturing further, the antechamber proceeds into a long hall, ten feet wide and fifty long; as the party advances carefully, Macit spies what appears to be a tripwire strung across the base of the passage, attached to some unseen mechanism. Upon closer examination, the thief finds the tripwire to be fashioned of taut fleshy sinew. It is unclear what the sinew's rupture would affect, but he and Reyhana are comfortably certain it would be bad.

With attention drawn and directed, the party is nevertheless able to proceed cautiously beyond it; at the far end of the hall, an open archway leads into a large, strangely shaped chamber, one hundred feet long and fifty feet wide throughout most of its span. Four pits are arrayed at corners of the chamber, each larger than that which was glimpsed in the first chamber--with smeared, ruddy trails terminating at the edges of the two nearest pits. Each of these larger pits measures easily ten feet to a side, yawning down into blackness below as foul odors waft free.

Three doors can be glimpsed both across and to either side of the chamber; each of the doors appears to be fashioned of warped wooden planks, with large iron rungs for handles, flaked with rust; the door to the left shows signs of having been scorched with flames. Along the wall to the left from the entrance, bones can be seen strewn about on the floor--several still boasting pink and bloodied meat clinging to them with obvious signs of gnawing along their length. To the right from the doorway, a splintered tower shield lay on the floor streaked with dried blood on its surface.

At the center of the chamber is a stone-ringed fire pit, though it is not currently lit; ashes still linger at the base, while a sizable rotisserie spit has been arranged over top of it--an unidentified hunk of charred meat run through upon it. Faint, intermittent sounds can be heard from within the pits.


Macit was able to automatically detect a trap while the party moved cautiously, as presently this portion of the lair is within his level. He may elect to attempt to disarm the trap with a roll of a d20 equal to or lower than his Dexterity score. Alternatively, Reyhana can also attempt to disarm the trap now that it has been spotted.

Since the nature of the trap is a visible tripwire, the party can safely avoid it as they proceed--and it will only prove a hazard if someone has cause to move recklessly back this way without it being disarmed.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Reyhana

She sinks to the balls of her feet, eyeing the wire Macit has pointed out, grimacing at the odd construction of it. Not a wire at all, but... well, sinew. Standing, the sister grimly holds a hand for the others and points out the way with her torch, all the while her neck cranes around, looking for what the wire is connected to.

The whole complex starts to hurt her head, as her sense of direction tries to assert itself and understand where it is they've passed into, trying to reckon where it is in the physical world they are. Her stomach is mostly empty but for the wine, and she's glad of it. Following into the next room, she looks askance at the pits, regarding them forbiddingly. Looking to Kasra, or any of the other more experienced of the party, she finds her voice, "Is this... typical?" It's hard not to look at the broken shield and wonder if it belonged to their predecessors.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2016 around 06:02

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug

Khashayarshazadi smiles serenely at Reyhana, her eyes darting about from floor to ceiling "No dear this is quite... Pleasant." She looks at the trip wire. "It would be best if we disable this now. We have a quiet moment right now, and I do not want our line of retreat hampered."

She takes out her bundle of rope from her pack. And ties one end around her waist, she passes the other end to Reza. "If you would sir, I wish to examine those pits. There may be survivors... Left fresh for ... A feast. We will clear this room thoroughly before proceeding to the others." She approaches the nearest pit torch and sword in hand to look over the side. She tries to recall any lore of rituals that the spit and the room in general might have.

<mpb> !roll 1d20 #intelligence target 11 discern if this room has some ritual/religious significance to some cult or another
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 6

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

He follows cautiously behind Shodana and Macit, his eyes darting every which way about the lair as they adjust to the darkness beyond the torches light. Steps are taken gingerly around the tripwire as he attempts not to think too much about what it's made from. His mind is kept steeled, his senses sharp and his body ready to turn and face danger at a split seconds notice. If nothing else, it helps keep himself steady in this horrid place where no mortal man was meant to tread and the dark passages bring madness to people's minds.

Following Reyhana's gaze, he mutters a small curse at the sight of the bodies. "Sadly so, Miss. Sights like these are all too common, but we are likely to see worse during our time here." The sight of the broken shield has him shake his head. "I fear these may be the poor souls sent in before us..." Perhaps some might yet survive though.

It appears their fearless leader has the same idea. As the Bey begins her search of the pit, the warrior moves over to stand by Reza. His sword is kept up and ready to strike incase a beast should be waiting in the darkness below.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

"You'd spark a debate between my peers, sister Reyhana," she comments as her writing instruments render a map. The scholar looks up at their surroundings and mumbles to herself, "Devils playing at butcher? Perhaps fey or a cult?" She frowns at the three doors leading deeper into the dungeon. "Scorch marks," "Gnawed bones" and "Broken shield" are sketched near the entrances as represented on her paper.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

As the party creeps down the fetid stairwell, Macit trains his eyes on the walls. It's a rookie's mistake to stare at the floor looking for a trip wire or a pressure plate when one can look for some indication on the wall, some disruption of the pattern of stones or fine cracks in the mortar. The stairwell seems to go on forever, but at least its safe.

Reaching the hallway, Macit feels his gorge rise as he takes in the sight of the carnage. But more than that he notices something along the wall, a shadow in the flickering torchlight that shouldn't be there. He holds up a fist and drops into a crouch, examining the whisper thin tripwire across the hall. It was shinier than most, a silvery blue color that reminded him of... Oh merciful prophets, that has to be a tendon!

Macit stands gently and makes his way to the far side of the room checking each end of the tripwire carefully. If you knew which end the device was on, these were easy. He knocks on one of the walls, and satisfied with the sound, pulls a small scalpel from his kit and slices the sinew free with a twang. Then he walks to the other end of the room and gently coils the wire beside the wall.

As he finishes, he becomes aware of the others talking. He replaces his scalpel and faces them. "It is done," he says.

permotriassic> !roll 1d20
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for permotriassic and got 11

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2016 around 14:21

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

Frowning, Reza mutters some sort of prayer before saying, "Such fell sights as these should not belong anywhere. Yet here we are, where the Law meets that which holds itself without." He is most interested, though, in what lies further on and underneath - here at least it seems there are only traps, but it certainly does not take a seasoned veteran to be sure that the bigger danger is not too far off. Still, being thorough is also vital, and it also did not take a seasoned veteran to be quite happy to never find out to what that tripwire was hitched. Thus, as Macit announces his success, Reza nods happily. "That was fine work."

He takes hold of the end of the rope from the Bey, and braces himself, feet set for good balance. "Whenever you are ready."

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"We can now heedlessly retreat, should the need arise," Kasra nods approvingly at Macit, "In this line of adventure, one needs every warm or wan comfort they can hold onto." Their Bey descends down into one of the pits, while the others remark on their environs, "These warrens are often rather... prescient in regards to what spawned them or what junctures along the mortal world through which they choose to breach. As we delve further, the facade of a slaughterhouse will either wither or intensify, dependent upon the whimsy of the abominations with lurk beneath. It is meant to disarm us, to disturb us with the perversion of what we know is normal. The nightmares simulate corruption, so that it better seeps through the runnels of a mortal's mind."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug

OOC:Given she doesn't recall anything useful or see anything simply by standing near and leaning over the edge of the pit

"Make sure you secure that rope properly". She gives them the moments they need to secure the rope, then tests her weight against their ability to pull back on it.

"Reza, you are in charge if I should perish. If our enemies come, release the rope and fight" "Do not try to save me. Merely make sure you report to the Sultan's men that I died fighting for the Law." With that she begins her descent to see what the sounds coming from the pit are.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2016 around 23:14

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"Bar the doors with the planks from the destroyed furniture in the first room, and someone watch that first pit in the corner of the first room. Cannibals with cleavers are what I expect judging by the offal–beasts and good cooks would not discard it with their waste. Anything to stay an ambush while split or from many angles.

"Time is also of the essence. Every minute we spend, danger mounts, so lower me down the other pit emanating sounds to halve our time in this room. Needing no armor, I weigh the least." Navid sheaths his sword, gets in the climbing harness or crafts his own from rope, and descends with his dagger in his teeth and one foot standing on the taut rope. Should he need to, he can climb it as others pull it up.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2016 around 21:06

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

He looks over at Kasra, tilts his head and smiles even as he grips the rope. "So long as we maintain our wits and our love of the Divine, we will not be disarmed. So long as we know the ruse is not normal, then we may see it for the attempt at disruption and corruption that it is. Their games will not deter us when they are expected, if our Reason prevails."

To the Bey, he says: "Let us hope we need not exercise those orders."

Rerolling disposition from Inspiration, with at least some success:
[17:25] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d8
[17:25] * LawBot rolled 1d8 for FractionJackson and got 4

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad gazes around the place, gritting his teeth as he looked around, holding position near the fire pit from where he had all three doors within relatively easy reach. "I almost wish they'd show themselves. I'm ready to kill." He peers around. "And let's try to make sure we bring anyone back we can. Dead or alive."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Reyhana

She nods as the Bard explains for her, "It is truly like a nightmare then - a distorted mirror of kind." She presses her lips in a tight smile, "Let us not give it any encouragement."

When the others begin making plans, she raises an eyebrow, mildly impressed or bewildered at the bey's enthusiasm for descent. She waits for someone to protest and, finding none, she shakes her head and begins helping Navid secure his line. She checks the tie, and undoes the knot and redoes it to her liking, speaking low, "You will want it like this, trust me."

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra Coriander

"Consider these portals barred and shuttered," cheerily, Kasra goes to retrieve whatever sturdy planks of wood he can from the previous chamber and goes to propping them against handle and door, "We must remember to take down the barricades before we advance, however. Dungeons can have a way of rearranging themselves, and we would be look quite the fools if, after our hard-won victories, we find our only means of egress has already been blocked by our past selves."

He watches as Navid and the Bey prepare to drop into the pits, "Be careful of what you see and hear below. Our bold crusader and humble..." he fights for the correct title, "Sister," a self-satisfied smile at Reyhana, "are correct. The nightmare will try and repel or seduce you with sights and sounds most terrible. Keep firm in your faith in the Divine, your place in its Law, and the role both have blessed and chosen for you. There is, after all, a reason why we have been fated to fight these beasts - as opposed to say, a hundred men drilled and armored by the Sultan's generals."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit shakes his head at the ones descending into the pits. Too many points of failure, too many ways this could betray their position for little gain. Nevertheless, he stands back and lets the brave and foolish take their turn. He keeps a wary eye on both exits to the room. In a place like this, who knows what could appear from behind as well as from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

The scholar draws closer to the remains near the trio of exits. Zarina looks back at the charred centrepiece during her ambulation. She then returns her attention to the gnawed bones, muttering a self-directed question: "Just how many victims rest on this floor?"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«13 »