Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
  • Post
  • Reply
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Taking stock of their surroundings, the fated spread out taking to task in tandem, with Reyhana helping to secure the rope for Navid's descent while Reza attends to Shodana in kind. Musad and Macit look to observe the doors and exits from the room, while Kasra doubles back to the entrance and antechamber of the lair--beginning to gather up planks for use in barring the doors of the adjoining chamber.

Kasra returns with material enough to begin work on one of the doors in time for the gradual descent of the duo being lowered into respective pits, torchlight flickering ever lower as the ropes are eased. Nearly twenty feet of chute follows each of the pits, their sides encrusted with foul-smelling filth--in which Shodana and Navid both can recognize an alarming array of both hand and footprints, the digits of each matched with what appear to be long, curved claws.

Both Shodana and Navid emerge opposite one another as they are lowered in kind, suspended some twenty feet apart from one another--and as their torches cast illumination, the pair garner a greater glimpse of a far larger space around them. A cavern yawns below, spanning easily two thousand square feet, its walls sloping upwards towards those same-such pits above--its floor a further twenty feet beneath the pair.

Across the floor of the cavern are numerous collections of gnawed-upon bones and other troubling remains, while debris, gravel and rocky outcroppings also form much of the base of the chamber. Several remnants of ruined structures can also be glimpsed, crumbling walls reaching haphazardly skyward--while to either far end of the chamber, broad caverns trail off into darkness well beyond the range of torchlight.

Twin oblong troughs have been fashioned with obvious purpose, each piled high with remains soaking in a dark slurry of pink and red viscera--glistening wetly in the torchlight. Splatters and streaking smears of dried blood surrounding the corresponding surface of the cavern floor beneath each of the pits above--it is clear that meat of a variety of sources has been fed down into the pit--and as movement shifts among the dark, Navid and Shodana are swift to see why.

Grotesque mockeries of the human form are huddled about here and there, many hunched over bones upon which they gnaw, while some toy with other objects--a scimitar here, a domed helmet there. One of the figures lifts its head toward the lowered pair as torchlight reaches it--and the duo can see a gaunt man of gnarled, twisted limbs, the whole of his face devolved and devoted into a great gaping maw of teeth as long as a man's fingers, its hands and feet boasting wicked claws.



Though the creature by all accounts seems to lack eyes, it reacts quite clearly having noticed the intrusion--giving voice to a hoarse gurgling wail that echoes in the cavern, soliciting other wails in chorus as throughout the shadows many more of the creatures begin to scatter and swarm.

From the periphery, Navid glimpses a large strongbox among a patch of ruined structure; both her and Shodana count at least eight of the creatures at a glance, but it is difficult to discern their full number as the clambering and wailing grows to an alarming din.

Up above, Kasra begins to hear scrabbling near the pit at the entrance, while the wails from below echo frightfully through all of the pits.


Shodana and Navid collectively tied with the creatures, leaving both sides to notice one another simultaneously; as such, there is neither advantage nor disadvantage. We are now entering combat, though will eschew initiative until actual contact with the enemy. There are at least eight of the creatures, possibly more--and they are making quite the ruckus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra Coriander

The bard's heels tense, and he turns from his work to the sudden rush of sounds from their back and their feet. "Trouble below," he says grimly, "and trouble behind us," Kasra nods towards the entryway, where he hears something shuffling near the room they just came through. "We'll need swords at the door, and strong arms at the ropes." He quickly joins Reyhana and takes the cord behind her. Kasra grips tightly, but it's clear that the good Sister will have to do the majority of the mule's labor on this one.

Rolled a 14 against Ferocity 10

tin can made man fucked around with this message at Nov 28, 2016 around 02:45

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

A mixture of awe and fear grip Shodana's heart, this was a truly a hallow place. "Lift us up! No survivors here only monsters. At least eight of the beasts probably many more, they are climbing out of the pits. Make ready we'll fight them on the high ground!" She bellows, she places the torch in her mouth and begins drops her torch and begins climbing hand over hand back up the rope.

<mpb> !roll 1d20 # ferocity target 15, climb climb climb
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 3

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 28, 2016 around 02:59

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Reyhana

She holds the rope tight and peers down in the pit after the warrior she'd just let loose. Rather than wait for him to call, she makes an executive decision and pulls back. She glances behind herself at the bard then sets her sandals square with the pit, tightens her grip, and pulls. The muscles in her back draw tight as she puts one hand over the other, dragging link after link back from the pit. Ideally, with a bearded man on the other end.

Rolled 12 vs. Ferocity 13. I bid thee return from the abyss

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She blinks in rapid succession once the din reaches her ears. "W—What was that?" she stutters as her heartbeat races! Zarina tries to retreat and position herself behind the more gifted fighters.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

At the call, Reza hauls with all his might. After all, he needs the rope out of his hands if he is going to put a sword in either. And he gets a sense - fleeting, yet he's sure of it - that he may yet have more of a surprise against the things below than just with the sword. To the other topside, he shouts: "Make yourselves ready. Trouble has been found. We prepare with blessings and steel."

[19:52] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20 ferocity 15 aaaaaaaaaa
[19:52] * LawBot rolled 1d20 for FractionJackson and got 5

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

The wails from below send a shiver slithering up Macit's back and he finds himself unslinging the bow from his back and reaching for an arrow in one fluid motion. As the others rush to the aid of the stranded comrades, Macit takes aim at the door back to the entrance. Kasra had heard something, and he'd be damned if anything was getting through that door without any hassle.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"You can trust me, Reyhana. I want to be able to shed this knot quickly if I need to fight. If I fall, it is still tight enough for you to catch me, and if I slip it off to fight down below, I am a highlander–I can haul myself back up without it."

And that is how it goes. Navid finds his enemies and races them back to the ground floor. He climbs even one-handed, keeping the torch upright. In his homeland, it could be a weapon in that hand and warriors would have to be able to fight with it, ascending or descending, rope or no rope.

(9:28:53 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20 for slydingdoor1 and got 1
(9:29:05 PM) slydingdoor: ayy

"Drop the scraps of furniture down the offal chute!" C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


*snip*

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 28, 2016 around 10:39

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Shouts come from beneath, followed by unnatural wails that reverberate around the chamber. A familiar feeling of cold terror along with the rush of excitement mixes through his body as his muscles tense and his grip on sword and shield tighten. With action now thrust upon them, it is time to see what these beasts and their unlikely group are made of.

The warrior positions himself near the fire pit with Musad, seeing the man's thinking of having all doors and pits within relatively equal reach. "That," he says to Zarina, allowing her to get between himself and Musad if she so wishes. "That is what will fall to our blades soon enough. Those wails will be nothing compared to the ones they scream in death." Despite his confidence, he still mutters a small personal blessing to himself before he raises his shield and adopts a stance.

His eyes roam to each door and pit in turn to see which one the beasts will come from.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

With only moments to spare after Navid and Shodana re-emerge from the pits below, shadows dance and sway from flickering torchlight as the fated men and women swiftly take up arms. From below, the scrabbling, wailing chorus of voracious creatures draws quickly nearer—and before long, it becomes quite apparent that scaling their way to the surface is well within their means. Sounds emanate with rapidly growing proximity from all four of the pits—and from the precipice of the two whence they came, Shodana and Navid are the first to glimpse grotesque faces leering up at them from below, beginning to ascend with frightful speed.

Towards the entryway, more of the creatures can be heard with alarming clarity—as Macit spies the first of the wretched things rounding the corner, slavering with drool as it screeches in delight upon the discovery of so many humanoid morsels ahead. More still can be heard in the thing’s wake—and with nerves poised and hearts racing, many among the men and women assembles feel adrenaline pour through their systems, first to act in the fray.



Initiative results: Macit 8, Shodana 2, Kasra 8, Navid 12, Jad 5, Musad 8, Reyhana 8, Zarina 8, Reza 10; current enemy opposition is Speed 6, which puts everyone but Shodana and Jad acting before them.

Note: If any of you have umbrage with me rolling initiative on your behalf for the sake of thread expediency, let me know.

For map readability, all friendlies have a green aura, all enemies have a red aura. Reza did not have character art, so I have nominally used this for him in the meantime.

I am loosely using grid squares for ease of eyeballing distances and whatnot, but I’m probably not going to be super rigid about it for the most part. A character can move the equivalent of their Speed rating in 5-foot squares per round / Speed x 5 in feet per round.

As of yet, you are only facing your first newly encountered monster: Hungry Wretches. For purposes of mechanics, they are considered ‘beastlings’ in that they are human-like, but with warped and horrible alterations. The ones climbing up from the pits are a little over fifteen feet lower than the surface of the room you're in; standing at the very edge of the pit is somewhat precarious, due to the muck and smeared refuse, and makes for a somewhat awkward position. The claws of the hungry wretches are equivocal to daggers, for purposes of armed player characters having a potential reach advantage as described in the rules.

Combat Turn Primer:
As a general refresher / how-to for folks if you’re still acclimating to the system, when it’s your turn on initiative you may do one of the following:
• Declare that you are dodging.
• Hold your action.
• Move.
• Move and declare that you are dodging.
• Move and perform a simple action (or vice versa).
• Move and then attack someone.
• Perform a complicated action.
• Perform a simple action.

Additionally, before your turn, you may:
• Attack someone moving past you and take no additional actions during your turn.
• Attack someone who is charging you if they have a shorter weapon, and take no additional actions during your turn.
• Declare that you are dodging this round and take no additional actions during
your turn.

Actions:
As a simple action you may draw a weapon and attack, pick up or drop an item, lock a door, or pull a lever or two. Dropping something you hold in your hand doesn’t count as an action, but getting rid of your backpack or shield does, since they are (supposed to be) strapped on. Dodging counts as a simple action—you may still move, but you may not attack. You may also grab something but it requires a successful athletic maneuver to do so properly.

Complicated actions include things like aiming a rearm, casting a spell, lighting a torch, reloading a crossbow, retrieving something from your backpack, or anything else that is similarly involved. If you stop, drop, and roll, for example, it takes your entire action.

Examples of Simple Actions:
• Attack.
• Dodge.
• Draw a weapon and attack.
• Drop your shield.
• Kick over a lamp.
• Lock a door.
• Pick up an item.
• Pull a lever or two.
• Shrug off your backpack.
• Throw something.

Examples of Complicated Actions:
• Aim a firearm or missile weapon.
• Cast a spell.
• Light a torch.
• Reset a bear trap.
• Reload a crossbow or firearm.
• Retrieve something from your backpack.
• Stop, drop, and roll.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She performs rote hand gestures and intones the words Eldritch Dart to stir the hitherto dormant entity from her memory! It mutates into a different spell as Zarina fails to control it; she feels its transformed power harmlessly pass through her. In the end, she merely curses under her breath while frantically glancing about the chamber.

Controlling Eldritch Dart: * LawBot rolled d20 for Razeam and got 17; Miscast: * LawBot rolled d8 for Razeam and got 4; Different spell on self: * LawBot rolled d100 for Razeam and got 47 (Raise the Dead)

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

After clambering out of the pit, her lungs burning from the exertion of climbing in armor, the Bey takes half a second to catch her breath. As she stands erect her eyes blur for a second. She unsheathes her bastard sword and spying the nearest monster she moves to creature Shodana, raises her bastard sword above her head and smashes down upon the creature.

Orders: move to nearest monster and hit it
<mob> !roll d20+1 #Swinging at nearest enemy
* LawBot rolled d20+1 for mob and got 12<mob> note: this should be 13 forgot ferocity modifier
!roll d8 #Swinging at nearest enemy damage hit die d6 + double handed = d8
* LawBot rolled d8 for mob and got 6 err again this should be 7 forgot the ferocity modifier again

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 28, 2016 around 22:21

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

Her eyes flit about the room, sizing up each companion, the pits as presented, searching for the threat. She flips her hatchet around and moves to a far corner of the room and stalks the corner of the pit. It would be vulnerable while still climbing, still emerging from the pit. She waits for the sight of flesh and readies her strike.

Holding action to move to the northeast pit and striking at the creature emerging.
2d8 damage if Reyhana is successful in flanking the thing as it emerges.
1d20+2 (Level + Ferocity Mod) to attack if she doesn't. Happy to let you roll for me since I likely won't be around.

C: 8 D: 14 F: 13 H: 9 I: 10 W: 12
AR: 13 DP: 5 SPD: 8

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

The rope is out of his hands with the Bey once again topside, and the sword is quickly in them instead. Rather than bring it down on the enemy, he simply holds it in front of him. His voice booming, he intones: "Creatures of the Nightmares. Enemies of the Divine. You are not welcome here." Well, it sounds good, at least...

Abjuration attempt:
[14:27] <FractionJackson> !roll 2d6+1
[14:27] * LawBot rolled 2d6+1 for FractionJackson and got 3
[14:27] <FractionJackson> nuts

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


*snip*

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit sees the vile creature round the corner in the hallway and nocks an arrow, his heart thumping in his chest. The horror screeches upon seeing him and he looses the arrow, hoping that his aim is true.

<permotriassic> !roll 1d20+2 #to shoot the leading wretch with my bow
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for permotriassic and got 5
<permotriassic> Wow, ouch

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad's scowl deepens as the creatures emerge. "Come on then, creatures. Try your luck against those who are not helpless. See what it gets you." He growled hatefully at them, holding position, trusting in those behind him, and gazing from one of the pits to the others, his polearm held in readiness. The first of the ever hungry nightmares to come within its arc, would find the polearm would strike with the swiftness of the desert wind, and with the same absolute lack of mercy as well.

Holding my action, but figuring one of these critters is going to decide to charge me, and I have the range on them
<Shogeton> !roll d20+2
* @LawBot rolled d20+2 for Shogeton and got 17
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 12

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid draws his two handed sword and wordlessly slashes at the nearest beastling.

(3:51:01 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(3:51:02 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 17
(3:51:09 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12+2
(3:51:09 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12+2 for slydingdoor and got 3
(3:51:11 PM) slydingdoor: rip

C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Do not let us become surrounded, friends," Kasra doesn't move to strike, though his fingers find his dagger quick enough. From the sounds of these creature, a few planks of wood would do little to slow their ascent, and bring him right at the ridge of disaster, besides. Instead, the bard moves near Zarina, with Navid, Shodana, and Reza as buffers between him and the pits.

Drawing a weapon and moving
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 6 SPD: 8

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Bursting forth from one of the chutes, one of the hungry wretches lunges towards Musad with a guttural screech--before its cry turns to an anguished gurgle as the man plants his weight and greets the beast with a thrust of his pole-arm; blade buried into the guts of the monstrous thing, Musad feels its weight lurch down and test his grip as it looses a death rattle. At Musad's side as Jad stands tall, another of the creatures shrieks free from the opposite pit--its claws scrabbling against the other fighter's shield as he avoids the thing finding purchase for now.

Nearby, Shodana delivers a sweeping slash with her large blade as another of the creatures emerges before her--opening a sizable gash along the back and shoulders of the thing before it clambers free from the chute. Lunging with a piteous wail, Shodana feels claws skid over the surface of her armor ineffectually--before managing to stave back the thing's drooling maw of needle-sharp teeth with the flat of her blade as the wretch pursues her.

While Reza yawps his dismissal of the ravenous beasts to little apparent heed, Navid delivers a sharp, swift slash of his blade as another of the creatures emerges before him--though the blow only manages to graze its pallid, sickly hide. Just as it moves to lash out at Navid, Sister Reyhana's hatchet buries squarely in the thing's spine--leaving it to collapse abruptly before the berserker with a wheezing rasp, limp against the edge of the pit.

Macit's shot down the hall does not find its mark as the hungry wretch moves with erratic, loping steps; as the creature nears the doorway, the thief can see several more of its brethren not far behind it, the lot of them clamoring for warm, fresh meat in tittering tongues no longer common in the age of Law and Reason. At the center of the chamber, Kasra moves to Zarina's side in time to hear the scholar intoning words of power--but the arcane phrase crackles on the air as both he and she can feel it distort strangely. Something feels very poignantly off on the air after the magic is breathed--and fails--leaving the pair with a prominent sense of foreboding...



Initiative results: Macit 9, Shodana 1, Kasra 9, Navid 21, Jad 14, Musad 14, Reyhana 14, Zarina 15, Reza 10; current enemy opposition is Speed 6, which puts everyone but Shodana acting before them. Jad, being the odd man out last round, has effectively two turns at his disposal before enemies act.

More enemies have arrived on the scene. Two Hungry Wretches made attacks that failed to connect for damage. Two Hungry Wretches were killed this round. Zarina's action seems to have had an ominous effect, which mechanically speaking translates into her having reduced the Countdown die for the Nightmare Realm here.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Good crusader, the door!" Kasra's daggerpoint thrusts at Macit and the hallway, which only seemed to be growing louder. The air fills with the sounds and scent of blood, as well as something ineffable... something crueler and all that much harder to grasp. Coriander spares a chilling, anxious glance at Zarina before rebolstering his voice, "It would be untoward to leave our poor Macit alone against the interlopers. And indeed," he sidesteps a spray of viscera which comes whipping off the head of Musad's lance, just as Reyhana's hatchet sledges into another monster, "You would not want to miss out on the glory!" Kasra unleashes a bellicose laugh which attempts to envelop the abominate snarling in the chamber.

Using the Bard Bullet Point to spend one disposition and give two to Reza
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 5 SPD: 8

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

"Die, filthy creature, die, die die!" Musad shouted as he roughly moved his blade aside, causing the spasming critter to fly off his blade and land in a little heap on the floor, moving his blade up in a ready position to receive the next one. "You want some too, piece of filth? Come and get it! Come get the last of the Sundown Chasers if you think you have spine for it, you miserable little dog!" He cried out, his calls not the pure rage of the berserker, as one might erroneously think him the berserker of the company. No, the insults were not called out of rage, for rage needs no words. They were that mix of hate and spite and vengeance. A cocktail that might prevent the heart from drowning in sorrow and guilt, yet toxic in its own way. But who knows, given his life and calling, perhaps it would not matter how deep he drank from this drought.

Will hold my action, expecting the new critter to charge Musad again.
<Shogeton> !roll 1d20+2
* @LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shogeton and got 18
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 10

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

Shodana was ecstatic, jubilant, brimming with religious fervor. her heart racing at the spilling blood -HUMAN blood in this place of her God, she had never spilled human blood in a truly sacred place for her deity, on the battlefield yes, but never in the hungry depths of the earth. (OOC: at least former human or humanoid -whatever she is considering them to be humans)."For the Divine Brothers!" She cackled as she brought her sword back in preparation for another swing. As she swung she saw Macit firing into an onrushing mob, "Mct pft behind shieldwall" she blurts in the half second before the swing connects - her intention for Macit to shield himself behind the bodies of his fellows carrying melee weapons, though there be no shield wall.

Orders: Move to bop the nearest enemy head
<mpb> !roll d20+2 #move and thwack or just thwack
* LawBot rolled d20+2 for mpb and got 13
<tincanmademan> might give navid a bundle of disposition since he has a starting low, but he's also fairly well armored already and hasnt been hit
<mpb> !roll d8+2 #thwack away
* LawBot rolled d8+2 for mpb and got 5


C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:4 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 29, 2016 around 04:17

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit curses under his breath, watching the arrow ping against the wall of the hallway. His hands are shaking and his breath is ragged as he watches the gibbering thing barely take notice of the attack in favor of single minded bounding toward the room. Toward him. He steps back toward his comrades and the sound of stricken cries, hoping to buy himself enough time to aid them. He has no time to steady himself before he grabs another arrow and lets fly.

. permotriassic> !roll 1d20+2 #shooting again
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for permotriassic and got 10

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

Yanking the hatchet free from her prey, she permits the beast to fall back below sans intact spine. The reality makes itself evident - they could hold the hall, only so long as they were not flanked by the beasts emerging from the pits. She casts her head this way and that, taking in the melee, then sprints for the far corner of the room to take up position over the pit and stem the flow of foes.

Not sure if the creature coming from the northeast pit is attackable at the moment, but Reyhana is going to cover that location and attack this round if possible. 1d20+2 if she's not flanking. 2d8 if she is. Phone posting. Sorry!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid snorts like a warhorse and charges the enemy Shodana weakened. His last foe was finished by another, it was only right that he finish another's foe in kind.

(8:30:36 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(8:30:37 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 23
(8:30:50 PM) slydingdoor: do crits do anything?
(8:30:53 PM) mpb: later sir
(8:32:13 PM) mpb: agreeing with tin about Reza ^ moving to help out macit
(8:32:26 PM) mpb: and keep the bottleneck bottled
(8:34:58 PM) slydingdoor: looking like nat 20s do not do anything
(8:35:47 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12+2
(8:35:47 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12+2 for slydingdoor and got 10

C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

A gasp escapes her lips before she returns the bard's look. Zarina brandishes her dagger in case proximity with a monster necessitates a desperate defence!

Hold action: Attacking a Hungry Wretch if it gets too close.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

He looks to his side to see one of the beasts scramble out of the pit, only to be impaled shortly on Musad's weapon. "Fine work!" he shouts to the fellow fighter, but he doubts the man hears him. And from his screams, the man doesn't seem to be focusing on much else except the thrill of the kill.

And thrilling it is for he soon has his own beast to contend with. He stands unmoving as he feels the wretch slam into his shield and lash out at him with it's claws. Behind, he spies yet another foe climbing out of a pit and ready to be felled when he's finished with this one. With a wordless roar, he brings his sword around in a deadly arc to finish the first creature in one strike before moving onto the next.

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 14 (Attack)
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 2d8
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 15 (Damage)

#For my second turn, I'll continue to attack this one if it somehow doesn't go down or, if it does die, I'll move and attack the one coming out of the NE pit.

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 10 (Attack)
#Not sure if this hits? Although if it doesn't, I still roll damage for being a fighter.#
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d8
* LawBot rolled 1d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 8 (Damage)
#If I did hit, the second damage roll was 8 again.#

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Wailing resonates from throughout the chamber as the wretches scramble and swarm, their shrill, hungry cries setting the nerves of even the most righteous of fated folk on edge; something, it is certain, stirs—but in the din and chaos of the melee, it is well enough already to attend to grasping claws and searching fangs at the fore. Musad bellows as he sloughs free the first of the foes, readying himself promptly as a second screeches towards him; another fierce thrust of the man’s pole-arm connects with the creature as a wicked gouge is carved against its flank—before it surges past the blade of the great weapon to bear down against him.

Drawing back cautiously from the entrance to the hall as slavering beasts grow near, Macit nocks and looses another arrow with his bow—the shaft narrowly missing one of the wretches as it careens off into the darkness of the antechamber, lost in the gloom. Carried with a surge of well-honed ferocity, Navid bolts past the thief to take up Shodana’s side, whirling with remarkable poise; the wretched thing looses a scream at the man before the sound becomes a whistling gurgle when Navid’s blade whips through its’ neck, sending the head of the beast bouncing down the chute beside it as its body crumples lifelessly.

Bold alongside his brother at arms, Jad shouts in jubilance midst the chaos, maneuvering with well-measured precision as first his shield knocks back the wretch clamoring for his flesh—before he brings his immense blade to bear with brutal efficacy. Jad’s bastard sword cleaves through the wretch’s torso like so much candle wax, leaving in his wake a gory rift as collarbone and shoulder are split asunder, innards spilling out to splatter against the floor with a sickening swell of nauseous stink.

Striding with purpose, Jad moves to engage the next of the wretch’s brethren as it emerges from the pit behind it, sweeping his sword to and fro in a withering assault as he works to drive the thing back—an errant swipe severing one of the thing’s limbs at the elbow as it wails. It throws itself toward the stout man’s shield—then Sister Reyhana appears from behind as a whisper, a swift precise blow of her hatchet buries deep against the thing’s spine with force enough to fully sever that column of bone; the wretch doubles over backwards as a further blow from Jad splits open its belly, setting an eruption of innards to roil free in a grotesque slurry.

Hauling itself over the edge of the pit, another hungry wretch emerges to assail Shodana, driving the woman back a pace or two as she avoids its teeth and claws; with broad sweeps of her blade Shodana keeps the beast at bay, the edge of her blade opening several narrow gashes in its pallid flesh as it slavers wildly for the meat it knows lurks beneath so much armor.

From the hall pour forth several of the wretches as Reza maneuvers along with his fellows, weapon at the ready; as the first of the wretches charges the champion, he lashes out at it with his bastard sword in quick sweeps as the thing ducks and weaves—and though the weapon does not connect, the measure proves well enough to keep its claws at bay a few moments longer.



Musad hit but did not kill a wretch; it attacked him, this time managing to land 1 point against his disposition. As Disposition is an abstract for general fighting resolve before injury, it is weathering such with its frenzied assault, albeit not too terribly yet.

Macit missed his arrow; Navid obliterated the wounded wretch on Shodana. Jad slew a wretch, then tag-teamed with Reyhana, who delivered 15 damage from another sneak attack, together taking down a second wretch.

Emerging from the pit, another wretch attacked Shodana but did not connect.

For the sake of rolling to a new round with only one player postponed, I presumed Reza would move to join the others in helping to safeguard Macit, Kasra and Zarina, and subsequently make an attack in retaliation to a charge thanks to his reach. Regrettably, the roll result was an 8, so this blow did not connect. On the plus side, the wretch also failed to overcome Reza’s armor.

Initiative results: Macit 8, Shodana 9, Kasra 7, Navid 10, Jad 10, Musad 6, Reyhana 12, Zarina 9, Reza 8; most enemies are speed 6, but one enemy is speed 8.

It has been determined through combat that the target Armour of the Hungry Wretches is 12. As a reminder, any attack result of 11 or better allows you to move 5' in the mix.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Surprise crosses his face as he sees the Sister appear as if a ghost from behind the creature, burying her blade into it's back to allow him a clean cut that brings the beast down. He nods in gratitude, with a small smile to the lady. This one is more than as she seems, clearly.

Another foe is seen clambering out of the pit at his feet, yet he also spies Musad still occupied with one beast whilst another begins to emerge from the other pit nearby. The man will soon be outnumbered. Feeling the Sister is more than capable with one beast, the warrior moves to the other pit to try and keep their foes from overwhelming those nearest to him.

"Face me, foul beast!" he shouts as he strides over and swings with his blade.

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1 (Attack)
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 15
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 2d8 (Damage)
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 3
#Moving to the South East pit and Attacking the one coming out.#

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Finished. Finish another. With little else in his severed memory, Navid's attacks all burn themselves therein.
(9:04:46 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(9:04:47 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 12
(9:04:57 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12+2
(9:04:58 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12+2 for slydingdoor and got 5

C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

He had started to move when called upon to block the doorway, but the first thing was already charging, and so he meets it head-on instead to at least fill the gap in the line before more come. Reza and the beastling trade sweeps and probing slashes to little effect. "Too late," he finally replies. "Already through."

Reza determines to do his best to keep them from getting any further, though, a religious fervor in his eyes and steel in his hand ready to mete out the Law. This time rather than short sweeps, having felt out the enemy's guard, he swings in a wicked, backhand arc. This goes much better.

[10:22] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[10:22] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 16
[10:24] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d10+1
[10:24] * LawBot rolled 1d10+1 for FractionJackson and got 6

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

"Madar Sag." She utters, as she half hears Reza's pronouncement, her focus on avoiding the teeth and claws of the beast in front of her. "We'll just have to hack them all to pieces before they group up!" She laughs her high-spirits un-dampened by the situation. Then she sees an opening and thrusts her sword deep into her enemy.

Orders:Same move and hit nearest monster or just hit nearest monster
<mpb> !roll d20+2 #hit thing with sword
* LawBot rolled d20+2 for mpb and got 13
<mpb> !roll d8+2 #rarrrgh
* LawBot rolled d8+2 for mpb and got 8


C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:4 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 29, 2016 around 19:05

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Back to back with his fellows Macit feels a surge of relief and his hands start to steady. They're fighting them head on and killing them! Bolstered with new courage, Macit moves to the side and takes aim at one of the creatures still trapped in the bottleneck of the hallway and lets go of another arrow, this time being rewarded by a wet thunk and a scream of pain.

.<permotriassic> !roll 1d20+2 #shooting at one in the hallway
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for permotriassic and got 15
<permotriassic> Finally a hit
<permotriassic> !roll 1d6 #damage
* LawBot rolled 1d6 for permotriassic and got 4

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

With another beast dispatched, the sister finds her rhythm and sets about her task with a grim certainty. She doesn't match Jad's look, barely acknowledging there's anyone else about all. She has a singular focus, stalking the edge of the pits with her axe, searching, looking for that next clattering of claws to reach the lip. Her greeting for the third is the same as the others. Two quick hacking blows to the skull.

Continuing to safeguard the eastern pits, Reyhana is striking the next one to emerge. Damage:
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for ambivalent and got 14

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She holds position in their formation with a white-knuckled grip on her dagger. The wide-eyed woman tries to remain vigilant of threats amidst the carnage.

Hold action: Stabbing a monster if it gets near!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Holding his position against the bleeding little critter, Musad used the blunt side of his weapon to push him back some distance, taking advantadge of his disorientation to deliver an overhand strike that split the creature's skull and sent it sinking to the ground like a marionette whose wires were cut.

Attack roll was 12, damage roll was 8, was already wounded so it killed, but still gets to strike Musad on its turn

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Well met again, Cypress; with this veritable bulwark of bodies, I've no doubt that your aim will be surer," Kasra smiles as the thief doubles back to him and Zarina. Another laugh as an arrow descends into the darkness to wet, fleshy retort of pain. "Masterfully strung! Kuvir Anid and her Destructive Crescent could barely have done it better!" The bard watches as the western pits grow silent, their eastern counterparts well-ringed by steel. All that remained was the doorway, and the stream of beasts coming through. They had surrendered the immediate bottleneck, and these creatures would be swifter without a portal to ascend.

"May as well put this ponderous leather to the test," he chuckles, bounding north, around the empty pit while taking care not to clop too messily in the viscera splattered around its rim. Dagger in his hand, he loops around to prepare and flank the creatures charging mindlessly through the hall for Reza.

Don't think I can move far enough to get in attacking range, but moving around the NW pit, closer to the bottleneck
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 6 SPD: 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Bearing down on the wounded beast together, Navid and Shodana strike blows in near succession--the first from the berserker staggering the wretch with a wicked slash to the chest--before Shodana thrusts through the clear ribs of the pallid creature, driving it lifelessly to its knees as it claws ineffectually at her blade. Nearby, Reza strides with purpose after the wretches erupting from the hall, his backhand arc cutting true against the beast before him and spilling more ichorous blood among the muck on the floor.

Between his comrades, Macit nocks and looses another arrow--the flight landing true this time as the shaft buries against the shoulder of one of the creatures; it's enough of a stagger that the beast misses its frenzied lunge after Kasra. Maneuvering nimbly, the bard staves off a second wretch with his own blade as he ducks and weaves, avoiding the blows of twin adversaries.

Across the chamber, Sister Reyhana moves silently to maneuver around another of the chutes, poised and ready with her bloodied hatchet once more; as another of the wretches lifts its head to gaze upon her fellows, she buries the wedged blade at the base of its skull, sending its head and body tumbling back down into the darkened abyss below with a dull, distant whump.

At the opposite end of the chamber, Jad issues his challenge as he engages another of the creatures--only to find the beast far more formidable than its brethren. Ducking and parrying against the brute, Jad stands his ground--but even from those avoided blows it's clear the creature is most dangerous. From down the hall, another similarly hungry, hulking brute lumbers nearer, bellowing with hate as it approaches the fated ahead.



Navid attacked the wounded wretch, not quite killing it, before Shodana hit the beast again, together taking it down for good. Reza struck a solid blow against the nearest wretch, while another took an arrow from Macit. Kasra swung at a charging wretch, but did not connect.

Wretches charges Kasra and Reza, all three just barely not managing to connect (thanks to Kasra's new armor, to boot!) Jad delivered a series of swings at the hungry mauler, weakening its disposition. The hungry mauler attacked Jad, but failed to connect.

Musad finished the foe he'd already engaged, which swung simultaneously--managing to graze him for another singular point of disposition lost.

Sister Reyhana slew the wretch emerging near her with another decisive strike.

Zarina continues to hold.

Initiative results: Macit 11, Shodana 6, Kasra 8, Navid 8, Jad 7, Musad 6, Reyhana 8, Zarina 8, Reza 10; current enemy opposition is Speed 6 and 8 respective of wretches and maulers.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«15 »