Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

"The bottleneck is now merely a bottle," Reza grunts in between steps and parries. "But the Divine is still on our side." He swings again, but checks it into a more defensive posture after only half a cut, partly trying to keep them at bay and partly trying to help simply block the charge from moving further into the room. "The battle will be joined soon, is it not so?"

[22:10] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[22:10] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 18
[22:10] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d10+1
[22:10] * LawBot rolled 1d10+1 for FractionJackson and got 2

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Nov 30, 2016 around 05:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

Seeing enemies to either side of Kasra and Navid moving to engage the one closest to him. Shodana moves to pull the other away from Kasra. She reverses the sword in her hands, holding the blade in gauntleted hands with pommel facing away from her body. She brings the sword down on the monster, intent on striking the small of the back behind its head, and then jerking it away from Kasra with the hilt. But the blood on the shaft makes handling the sword awkward, and it slips as she strikes, causing her to miss her aim and strike the creature with no force.

Order: move and thwack the wretch adjacent to Kasra, but further from Shodana (or whatever monster Navid/Reza do not target that is adjacent to Kasra)
<mpb> !roll d20 #smack the wretch adjacent to kasha, but furtherest from Shodana
* LawBot rolled d20 for mpb and got 4
<mpb> derp

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:4 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 30, 2016 around 07:09

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"I'd say this one has been definitively inhabited," Kasra makes a backhanded swipe with his dagger to fend one of the slavering creates off, even as a second - unseen by him - goes staggering harmlessly past, an arrow sprouting from its back as it howls in pain. The bard nods appreciatively at Macit, "But this is merely a scrape, your nobility, a scrape! The further we venture from the Divine's touch, the more horrid the nightmares become."

Two were now upon him. Kasra had thought to ambush them from the side as they barreled down upon Reza, but the abominations, defying his expectations, are smart enough to see the bard as the more tempting target. Being wrong on the cold read was never a reason to abandon a game, however; only the foolish and the obstinate don't know how to turn a surprise into an advantage. "That's a good pair of toothy fellows," Kasra coos, whipping his blade in his right hand, a light and willowy grip which allowed quick, fluid thrusts and cuts: a daggerstance not unfamiliar to the cutpurses and scullery scrappers of Geth's lower avenues. An upward slash goes for the uninjured monster, doing little but warding it off for just an instant longer "Just keep your senses on poor, humble Kasra. Don't think to look behind you."

[21:26] <tincanmademan> !roll 1d20 ferocity 10
[21:26] * LawBot rolled 1d20 for tincanmademan and got 11

C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 6 SPD: 8

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid pounces and growls, refusing to allow the enemy to form up or surround anyone. A calligrapher with his sword, only he and his comrades may draw lines and close loops.
(10:04:00 PM) slydingdoor: I'll hit one of the wounded ones ganging up on poor kasra
(10:04:07 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(10:04:07 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 15
(10:04:15 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12+2
(10:04:15 PM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12+2 for slydingdoor and got 10

C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

Now that her bare forearms sport a fine coating of gore, and she's worked up a good sweat, Reyhana steps back to search for her next prey. The advance is thinning - on this side of the room at least. Dimly, she's aware of the rest of the room, but she allows little thought for her companions. What she sees is another unholy beast, an abomination unto the Divine dragging itself from the depths and threatening violence. It is a demon but it moves like any other creature - all muscles and tendons and spines. The three that have fallen already are proof enough. She rushes the creature, hatchet held back, searching for a nice meaty flank to bury it in.

Don't know if this counts as Flanking, so I rolled Attack: 1d20+2 as 10, so that's a miss.
If I am flanking, then I rolled 2d8 for damage and got 10. Can't C&P

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

The creature falls, and none come to replace it. Given a moment's reprieve, the former caravan guard looks either side. Much more on the side of the hallway, but a lot of them standing there already. Best perhaps to finish up on this side, then go and finish them off. Moving carefully so not to slip on the gore-slick stones, he moves towards it, bringing his weapon to bear upon it.

Move to attack the mauler on the right hand side, if he's already dead, go for the left hand side. Since I'm late in the initaitive, hard to say which creatures will be alive on my turn, so feel free to decide.
<Shoge-work> !roll 1d20+2
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shoge-work and got 16
<Shoge-work> !roll 2d10+2
* LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shoge-work and got 12

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

When the scholar spots the larger creatures, she worries if a connection exists between them and the ominous feeling following her failed sorcery. It is an ultimately ephemeral concern once she spots Kasra being mobbed by the ravenous beasts! Unlike her cohort, she decides discretion is the better part of valour. The fear coiled inside her maintains its readiness to be channelled through a metal point should a monster decide she's an appealing target.

Hold action: Readying an attack just in-case something draws near!

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

The beast is far larger and tougher than the rest of it's ilk but fear does not show on his face, rather a look of sinister glee adorns it instead. "Good," he says ducking and avoiding the creature's blows as he stands with it toe to toe. "I had hoped one of you might prove a challenge!" At last, a proper chance to test his strength. This foe will fall before him for the road he must travel stretches further on than here... The warm up was over. Time for the real thing.

Letting loose another roar, the warrior swings his sword around to cut a new hole into the creature.

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 17 (Attack)
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 2d8
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 7 (Damage)
#Just keep swingin', Just keep swingin'~

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Heartened by the hit scored on the filthy creature, Macit squares himself up once more, trying to ignore the sound of frenzied melee behind him and letting go of another arrow.

.permotriassic> !roll 1d20+2 #shooting at one of the ones on the west side
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for permotriassic and got 18
<permotriassic> !roll 1d6 #damage
* LawBot rolled 1d6 for permotriassic and got 6
<permotriassic> Boom

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

With boots firmly planted, Reza weathers the mounting onslaught of beasts with vigor, steady ceaseless strikes and maneuvering further harrying his foes; an arrow loosed from Macit skirts past the champion’s shoulder, thudding into the skull of the wretch before him with a sickening crack before its body crumples lifelessly. Nearly in tandem, Navid arrives at Reza’s flank with a furious blow that carries force enough to drive another wretch to its knees as the man’s blade cleaves through its collarbone and ribs like so much chaff; side by side, the men form a re-bolstered bulwark—and not a moment too soon.

From beyond the chamber, the second of the brutish beastly maulers bolts with alarming alacrity, vaulting feckless past its felled lesser brethren as it sweeps its wicked claws whistling overhead as Navid deftly ducks the blow. Without missing a beat, the frightfully savage creature bears a harsh blow from overhead which the berserker narrowly manages to absorb with a brace of his blade, the man’s own ferocity brought to measure—and not found wanting. Another wretch charges Reza from among the chaos and manages to catch the champion with a rake of its claws—a pang of pins and needles setting hairs to stand on end as he feels having narrowly avoided injury.

Kasra’s short blade is darted deftly, the man’s tongue equally sharp as one of the wretches that had assailed him topples nearby, still gurgling its death throes from Navid’s strike. Left with another of the creatures, the bard holds the vile thing’s attention as nimble footwork spares him tooth or claw; Shodana emerges from behind the man to swing at the thing, driving it back again—the odds shifted much more favorably thereafter.

At the far end of the chamber, a feverish pitch grows as the brutish beast assails Jad as the warrior maneuvers against it, avoiding the first of its blows as Reyhana darts swiftly to join the fray. As the assassin seeks another vital purchase, the beast surprises the woman with a dart of its head as it avoids her blow—yet the momentary distraction sees Jad’s long blade connecting with the beast’s tough flesh. With a snarl of rage the mauler lashes out with its powerful claws, driving past Jad’s shield as he feels the creature catch flesh among his armored form.

Just as the monstrous creature lunges to bring its fangs to bear against the fighting man, Musad lunges his pole-arm with a fierce thrust from the thing’s flank, blade driven between the thing’s ribs and cleaving into its heart and lungs with a grisly squelch. When the long weapon is wrenched free, the mauler topples over with a spasm and death rattle, the din of combat carrying still from the entrance to the chamber.



Reza struck a wretch and Macit’s arrow plugged it in the head, slaying it; Navid joined Reza’s side on the north and slew a previously wounded wretch. From the hall, the second mauler entered the fray and made two attacks against Navid, the first missed by the man’s nimbleness, the second deflected by his ferocity.

Berserkers draw their Armor from their ferocity, so flavor-wise I figure blows that fail to connect > 10 attack results are generally signs of him parrying / out-fighting his foes. Another wretch from the hall charged to engage Reza and this time managed to land a solid blow dealing 4 damage to the man, which I believe penetrates his Disposition and damages his Health directly at this point (Correction: he is at 0 disposition now, no Health damage this round.)

Kasra and Shodana both missed the remaining wretch, which also missed Kasra in kind; generally, the three of them are keeping both sides at bay without landing harm at present. Reyhana + Jad + Musad teamed up against the southeast hungry mauler, Reyhana missed, Mauler missed first attack, Jad hit the mauler for 7, mauler hit its second attack on Jad for 6 piercing through to his Health after 5 disposition, Musad hit the mauler for 12 and slew it.

Any time you lose points from your Health score, you must roll your current (modi ed) Health score or less on a d20 in order to prevent the wound from temporarily incapacitating the affected location. You might have blood in your eyes, or have lost all feeling in your arm, for example. It takes at least one round (a complicated action) to pull yourself together and recover your senses.

Reza was hit in the lower body, Jad was hit in the head -> skull. Jad has the option to have his helmet break in lieu of taking the health hit, but it's probably not worth it for 1 point.

Edit: Belatedly realized Reza, with the disposition re-roll, was in the clear from taking actual health damage. He is standing on 0 disposition this round now, though.

As a reminder, a short rest (1 hour) allows anyone to optionally re-roll their disposition, and is the main way to recover depleted disposition; you can potentially end up with less disposition than you had before the roll this way. Fortunately, Kasra's bard presence allows you to roll disposition with advantage (as does Reza's champion ability for anyone else Lawful.) A long rest (6+ hours) requires everyone to re-roll their disposition.

Initiative results: Macit 8, Shodana 11, Kasra 9, Navid 7, Jad 6, Musad 6, Reyhana 8, Zarina 8, Reza 6; remaining opposition has two wretches acting at 6 and the mauler acting at 8. Tied initiatives resolve simultaneously.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Nov 30, 2016 around 19:13

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Seeing a chance to take out one foe so his fellows could collapse on another, Navid breaks away from the mauler, circles behind Kasra and Shodana and swings head height at the beastling between them. But it is not to be.
(10:12:29 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(10:12:30 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 4
(10:12:32 AM) slydingdoor: rip

C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

"Merely a scrap eh? The schoolchildren in your township must have looked very strange indeed for you to say so. Ah well if you are a exemplar, physically, of your schoolmates I can see why you say what you say."- She wheezes out to Kasra the fatigue of constant fighting in heavy armor keeping her out of breath. As she quips she lines up a blow on a beast. The Bey maintaining her grip of the blade end of the sword, strikes with the hilt as if it were a hammer attempting to jerk a monster into a pit with the blow. Her blow lands true. "Naught but a schoolyard tussle indeed"

Attempting pull off the maneuver described in p222 to drag the nearest enemy I can over the edge
<mpb> !roll 1d20 #hold action into enemy, hit and drag enemy to nearest pit and push them over the edge
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 18
<mpb> this is what i should've been doing each turn would've been 3 kills :/
<mpb> !roll d8+2 # damage if unable to drag enemy into a pit
* LawBot rolled d8+2 for mpb and got 4

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:4 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Nov 30, 2016 around 19:54

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"It's not so much the peers of my childhood I compare these beasts to," Kasra keeps his footwork nimble, slashing and thrusting at the lone monster now threatening him, "As it is the more horrid acquaintances I've met on these fated forays. We haven't so much as descended a flight of stairs or bore witness to a bleeding effigy of all our mothers, joined at the hip, bare at the chest to show a dozen naked breasts with grasping fingers at their peaks." The bard flourishes an exaggerated thinking stance between cuts, scratching his chin with his free hand, "Or was that one a few? I shudder at either possibility."

Phone posting so no rolls, but attacking at ferocity 10

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

With the last of the enemies in his immediate vicinity dispatched, Musad takes two breaths as he looks around to make sure his side is done. "Take care of Jad," he says to the sister, as he runs at his relatively limited top speed towards the final melee, noticing that a few on that side too were hard pressed.

Move towards the remaining battle.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit can hardly suppress a whoop as the wretch falls to the ground, dark blood leaking from its corpse. It falls, but he has no time to celebrate as the larger one closes on his fellow combatants. He draws his bow, but can't get a good bead on the thing through the fierce melee. The arrow flies, but misses the ducking and weaving creature by a wide margin.


<permotriassic> !roll 1d20+2 #shooting at biggun
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for permotriassic and got 8
<permotriassic> Nooope

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

That very nearly could have been his whole leg, Reza realizes. His reaction, though, is less shock and more wrath. With a defiant yawp, he swings back at the one furthest south, the one that had hit him - both for its temerity in doing so, and so as to attempt to turn the flank positively. While he doesn't hit his mark, he is able to open up space.

[16:23] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[16:23] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 11

Will take a 5' step S to help clear some room for Musad or Jad once they show up.


C:11 D:15 F:15 H:13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:2 SPD: 8
Had 2 extra Disposition thanks to Kasra. Resolved to now keep combat block handy for that reason.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She flips her hatchet's grip around, watching the creature fall to the others' blows, Jad and Musad get a perfunctory nod from the sister before she points across the way and begins to circle the room toward the remaining threats.

Just moving west to help fight next turn!

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

Her gaze stabilises its formerly erratic course onto the remaining enemies. She relaxes the grasp on her weapon and more calmly scans their surroundings. After she looks over her shoulder and spots Jad's injury, she faces the ongoing melee while biting her bottom lip.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Their fearsome foe is down, but he's gained a rather nasty wound for it in return. He sucks in through his teeth in pain as he feels a sizable gash between his armour along his head where the beast's claws caught him. No matter though, merely one more scar for his collection. He still stands and the wails of their enemies continue to emanate from the other side of the room. "I hardly need caring for," he grunts to Musad as he and the Sister move to join the ongoing fray. "Merely a scratch" He seems to say it more to himself than anyone else.

Hefting up sword and shield, he sets off across the room to lend his aid. The fight still continues and he will not simply stand idly by whilst it does, wounded or not.

Moving west.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2016 around 12:39

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Switching her grip from hilt to blade, Shodana brandishes the pommel of her weapon with deft, sure strokes as she speaks—bludgeoning about and working to drive the hungry wretch before her aside; driven around and away from Kasra, who weaves, thrusts and menaces with his own blade. Shodana presses her surprise against the wretched beast—until a whirring arc of her blade’s hilt cracks against the side of the thing’s head, sending it stumbling backwards to topple head over heels into the chute. Shodana hears the thing collide with and scrabble desperately at the side of the pit before tumbling down, a dull thud heard a moment later.

Nearby, Macit nocks and looses another arrow meant for the brutish mauler engaged with his fellows—but in his measure to avoid striking an ally among the chaotic ducking and weaving of combatants, the shaft whizzes off its mark to embed in the far wall of the chamber. Snarling, salivating and scarcely deterred, the beastly brute pursues Navid with ravenous ferocity—and while the berserker moves with impressive agility and poise, the wicked thing’s relentlessly savage assault wears the man down before at last its claws catch him twice—the first time, a grazing blow that tears ribbons from the man’s shirt with a stinging pang below, the second gouging that much more sharply over Navid’s chest, pain blossoming as his pulse pounds.

With Navid and his opponent maneuvering north, Reza endeavors to re-position for the benefit of his fellows—heart racing and adrenaline coursing as the thing continues to assail him. Here among foul aromas, blood and entrails strewn throughout the nightmarish chamber of crumpled bodies and flickering torches, the measure of oneself and one’s mettle is tried and tested. Faced with needle-like teeth and wicked claws barraging and buffeting, one’s resolve can be driven to the brink—and Reza is left at that very precipice as the beast seeks to make a feast of his flesh.

As Zarina gazes on, Jad, Musad and Sister Reyhana make due haste to join the remainder of the fray, making their way past the grisly remnants of the start of this sordid sortie.



Shodana used a Special Maneuver on a wretch, prompting a regular attack roll, but with Dexterity modifier instead of Ferocity. When performing a Special Maneuver (Such as pushing, tripping, disarming, etc.) if you score a hit a 20+ result succeeds at the action, while 19 or less prompts the target to either take Disposition damage as if a regular attack went through, or concede to have the Special Maneuver succeed. Note: this is still incumbent on scoring a hit, so e.g. a 10 result against an Armour 15 opponent doesn't give you the ability to proceed with that either/or scenario.

In the event that the Disposition damage would be enough to defeat them anyways, however—the Special Maneuver succeeds anyways without a choice in the matter. Which, in our case, is exactly what happened: Shodana’s 18 wasn’t enough to send the wretch down the chute, but the 4 damage was enough to make it moot and force the beast to take a tumble anyways. Bonus points for Shodana pulling a mordhau.

Kasra attacked, but missed, and was the last of the ensemble to act before the brawl of simultaneous initiative resolutions.

Remaining hungry mauler continued to chase after Navid and managed to score 21 and 22 on its two attack rolls this time, both landing blows against the berserker, for 4 and 3 damage respectively. As Navid was at 3 Disposition, these attacks spill over 4 damage to his Health in total. From hit location rolling, both attacks did health damage to Navid’s upper body (this only particularly matters when attacks to a hit location deal 50%+ of a character’s health in one go, but I’m noting it for flavor / reference.)

Remaining wretch continued attacking Reza, scoring a 20 to hit for 2 more damage—which this time does zero out his Disposition just shy of Health damage.

Navid’s target was no longer on this floor when his initiative came around, so his attack defaulted instead to the mauler, but nevertheless still missed. Jad, Musad, Reyhana all moved to engage this round, covering ground across the chamber.

Initiative results: Macit 4, Shodana 2, Kasra 10, Navid 8, Jad 10, Musad 7, Reyhana 13, Zarina 3, Reza 7; remaining two enemies are speed 6 and 8 respectively, meaning we have one simultaneous resolution this round.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad
Disposistion = 0. Health = 11

He sees foes fall as he moves across the room, yet two remain. The one as large as the beast that wounded him appears to be brutally mauling Navid, so it's to him that the warrior rushes to aid. He roars as he charges, in defiance of the beast but also in reaction to the pain he feels from his wound as he moves. All thoughts to his own safety are nonexistent as he rushes forward with all his strength, his sword pointed directly at the creature.

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1 (Attack)
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 20
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 2d8 (Damage)
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 8
#Moving up to hit the Big One.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

She shakes her head at Kasra- "I hope this is merely a fancy of your depraved mind, then again as nightmare in part takes form from our..." Seeing the creature rip a chunk out of Nima she drops what she is saying and rushes to his aid. Only to find Ser Amir has already dispatched the beast.

Order: Repeating the order from last round expect on the biggun' Moving to smack the wretch but leaving the fluff as is.
<mpb> !roll d20+2 #lets try that shove magic on the big this time
* LawBot rolled d20+2 for mpb and got 3
<mpb> whiff...

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:4 SPD: 7
OOC: Bard might want to drop Nima a butt ton of disposition while staying out of the fight. Bad things start happening when you hit half health. Or if any of us take a whole bunch of state damage in one instance. Mauler the biggun' was take out by Jad before it had a turn this round, only the wretch left- might be good to drop Reza some disposition so he doesn't take health damage, then again it might be good to still drop Nima disposition in case the wretch suddenly decide to go after him - but the wretch is already engaged with Reza and he is the closest target and if the wretch lands his max damage (d4-d6?) on Reza it wouldn't be good.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 1, 2016 around 20:13

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid snarls and throws off his damaged shirt, as the line behind him collapses, "Quit bending needles and break the sword!"
(10:48:13 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20
(10:48:13 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20 for slydingdoor and got 20
stunned

C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

"This one has some fight in it too," Reza growls. The temerity of such beasts, thinking they could simply just refuse to die? Reza is not having it. The beasts' assault was crumbling, though not without cost; he just has to do his part to bring the battle home before anyone else is hurt - or at least keep the thing occupied long enough for the rest to come up and end it. It is not the heaviest blow he has ever struck, his posture now more defensive as he better appreciates the thing's quickness; but the quick cut is still well-guided.

[i][14:13] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[14:13] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 18
[14:13] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d10+1
[14:13] * LawBot rolled 1d10+1 for FractionJackson and got 4


C:11 D:15 F:15 H:13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:0 SPD: 8

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

Zarina tenses as injuries mount during the violent exchange between the beasts and her comrades.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Good to see you don't shirk from a bit of blood, Navid," Kasra inches away from the ravenous monster while it slashes at the berserker, his words slow and reassuring, "But still, let's not invite more of it. Your blade is true, your feet swift. This beast is merely a pittance compared to the nightmares of the past and yet to come!"

Spending two disposition to give Navid 4
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 3 SPD: 8

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

In long, bounding strides, she skirts the edge of the offal pit and take a small leap to cut the corner, hurrying to close the gap on the last remaining beast, circling it even as it draws blood. With a a pounce, she's all but upon the nightmare creature, her free hand grabbing at it's clawing arm even as she brings her hatchet down in a rain of hacking blows, gradually carving out a meaty, bloody canyon in the small of it's back - and all around just making a very large mess of herself.

Attackin that last one. chop chop
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for ambivalent and got 19
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for ambivalent and got 10

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Carried still by the exhilaration of her successful maneuver, Shodana attempts to level the same fate against the brute before her--but the brawny, savage beast proves far more formidable than its lesser brethren. Stunned and reeling from the grievous wound he'd been dealt, Navid can naught but draw away from the beast as he claws at his shirt--the ravenous thing rearing and raring for his bared, bloodied flesh.

Having made haste across the bloodied, entrails-strewn span, Jad charges at the mauler as it seeks to snuff short the candle of Navid's life; with a righteous and most vigorous thrust, the man buries his large blade against the exposed, sinewy flank of the beast before wrenching it out and free. Collapsing, the mauler is cut down, falling dead to the floor; nearby, the last remaining wretch is held off by Reza's blade--before Sister Reyhana seems to materialize from the gloom, assailing the monster from behind as her hatched it brought to bear time and time again until its savaged remains are left in a bloody heap.

As the last of the creatures is cut down, silence hangs on the air, the wailing at long last ceased. Bloody entrails cover much of the floor, corpses strewn throughout--butchered and slaughtered to the last. It is all the fated can do but to catch their breath, steady themselves--and see to the wounded before turning their attentions onward in the incursion.

Together, Jad and Sister Reyhana have slain the remaining mauler and wretch prior to their turns--ending this combat encounter. Well done, gang!

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Beaming with the endorphin induced euphoria of a vigorous workout the Bey is positively giddy. She approaches Reza and gives him two quick kisses on either cheek, “Habibi” (dearest) - she says in a motherly tone. She dances light toed on mailed feet over to Kasra and also gives a succession of friendly quick kisses on either cheek, however she pauses a moment before leaving him and grins evilly.

She gives him a smacking great kiss and then bites down hard on his lower lip, flashing him a naughty smile (waggling eyebrows), before dashing off to Zarina.

Shodana embraces Zarina in a great friendly bear hug, squeezing her hard and lifting her up with great powerful arms, the Bey’s bloody gore strewn metal sleeves leaving streaks on Zarina’s pristine form and armor. “Ah how wonderful it is to be alive and victorious!” she pronounces merrily.

She puts Zarina down in a dainty fashion, remembering herself she spits out half-embarrassed by her actions: “Ah ha, forgive me. The rush of battle seems to have gone to my head.”

She pauses a moment, bloody gauntlets resting across each other at chest height, as she surveys the room.

“Ahem, but there is an important matter to be discussed before we attend to the obvious” she glances at the unbarred portals and the wounded men. In her loud clear battle voice she announces “This matter may be more pressing, depending on the hour. There is an ethical dilemma here for you Sister Reyhana. As you may or may not know these bodies, these beasts were likely as not, men. The butcher the baker the common folk of Narkavrum and likely as not they were twisted by the nightmare or some foul wizard’s design.” she pauses for breath, then continues in an even-handed tone. “It is known under the Law, that the soul of a body not buried before sunset will not see the grace of the Divine and will wander forever as an accursed ghost on this mortal plane. What would you have us do with the bodies good Sister? For a nightmare fades once it is un-cursed and all inanimate things within disappear. And to bury them in such an unholy place would surely be haram and only barbarians untouched by law would dare do something as haram as cremate them - as bad as leaving them unburied before sunset. If we are to leave the nightmare to bury them we forsake those who have already entered or been abducted and risk the lives of those still alive in the town. So as the most learned in the ways of the Divine what would you have us do dear Sister? “ Her speech finished she wears a dim smile on her lips, her eyes coldly judging Sister Reyhana.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 05:54

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

The heat dwindles in her eyes until it is all but gone. As she extricates herself from the mess of the conflict, she holds her hatchet lamely, like an unfamiliar thing she has just found rather than the instrument it had been a moment ago. She blinks her eyes a little and starts to reach up and wipe a spattering of blood from her cheek, until she notices her hands, too, are covered in filth.

She clears her throat, and fixes her cheerful smile back into place, still breathing hard from the strain of combat. When posed the burial practice, she looks to the others, uncertain, but especially to the scholar. "It is as often as you say, Bey." She cautiously takes the cloth of her scarf and dabs at her sweating brow and dirty face, "I recall, though, that the Prophet Safiur tells of the Battle of Ahud - when the faithful were besieged and the idolators were at the gates. The bodies of the slain could not be recovered in a suitable fashion. The Prophet wrote that it is of little concern - the defense of the bastion of Law, of the people the Law serves, took primacy. The Law is not so inflexible as to defy sanity."

She smiles warmly to Zarina, "The ritual is a display of obeisance from the faithful to the Divine. When we mourn, we oft feel adrift - prayer and ritual anchor us to our values and keep our heads about us." She looks to the beasts they've laid low, "In truth, a proper burial escapes many of us less fortunate in Neth, and the Citadel I am certain too. I cannot speak as to angry ghosts." And back to Zarina, "But much of my education is informal and at the feet of true scholars, far be it from me to presume when we have such a scholar here."

In truth, she sees no value in returning these twisted bodies, if they were men at all, to anyone waiting beyond this labyrinth. These are not the loved ones they lost, and burying a creature could only serve as pain. To say nothing of the logistical issue of dragging the bodies free.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 06:21

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She bows her head, her hand touches her forehead, "As you say sister, I bow down before the wisdom of those with greater learning on such matters than I." She raises her head, another jolt of giddiness shoots through her body as her gaze sweeps the bloody gore strewed room. She subvocalizes a silent prayer “O friend and companion of night, thou who rejoicest in the baying of dogs and spilt blood, who wanderest in the midst of shades among the tombs, who longest for blood and bringest terror to mortals, Gorgo, Mormo, thousand-faced moon, look favourably on our sacrifices!”

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

The grand celebration from their leader elicits a nervous smile from Zarina. When it somehow segues into an ethical debate, she stands with her lips pursed and arms akimbo. "Hmph! I doubt it'd foster harmony in the community if they saw these grinning corpses. Everyone here would resent us if we surprised them with this macabre haul. I think the question of their humanity is pointless when we can't identify them now. If someone above lodges a serious complaint, we will show them one of these bodies and that should suffice as an answer." She then lowers her gaze and pouts at Reyhana.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid clenches his teeth as he checks for broken bones or foreign objects that might exacerbate his wounds. Satisfied that the bleeding is stopped, he takes a quiet moment to pick up and replace his hat, frees himself from the tatters of the upper half of his garment, and checks back in. "Hah, as one who nearly became one of those accursed ghosts himself, I say we instead think of the logistics of recovering the contents of the strongbox on the lower level.

"Either hoist it up with the ropes or open doors, find our way down and drag it out."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/14/18

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 07:41

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad
Disposistion = 0. Health = 11

He stands over the dead beast, panting as the adrenaline leaves his body. After some seconds of this, he simply bends down to pick up a piece of cloth that Navid discards and uses it to wipe the blood from his blade before he sheathes it. With his now free hand, he reaches to his wound and pulls his hand away slightly bloody. A nasty little wound, but hardly life threatening. At least the pain of it will keep him alert down here. He watches the Bey's display cautiously, as if he were watching a madwoman, unsure of what she might do next. When she takes a more serious tone, he simply shakes his head. "Leave the beasts here, burn them, or throw them into the pits, I say. The townsfolk should be spared from having to see their twisted forms for they have suffered enough without suggesting this is what has become of their loved ones. If they were once men, they are not anymore. They are Nightmares that belong as much in our world dead as they did alive."

He walks over to Reyhana and Musad then, nodding his head in appreciation to them both. "Impressive moves, indeed," he says, looking longer at the Sister when he does. "Those beasts stood no chance. I had hoped they would prove more of a challenge, yet I suppose numbers were their only strength."

At Navid's suggestion, he glances over at the pits and then to the doors. "Let us inspect these doors. Perhaps one lends an easier way down than lowering ourselves with ropes again. The contents of a box do not interest me, only the eradication of these creatures. We should continue until we are sure that none remain."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit lowers his bow and finally takes in the carnage around him. He steps around the corpses of the fallen wretches and kicks at one experimentally with his shoe. had this thing ever been human? Is this what happens to those who delve into the darkness and don't come back? He suppresses a shudder and busies himself by taking stock of the situation. 5 arrows used. Allies injured, but not fatally. 10 fresh kills.

He shoots a hard look at the Bey's celebratory dance. "We need to be quiet now. We don't know if anything else heard the fighting. Maybe if the things deeper in don't hear us they'll think we're all dead and won't come running to finish the job."

He nods at Jad. "He's right. If we come back through and aren't being pursued, maybe we can get the box, but right now we need to be cautious."

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 16:23

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

The warrior looks to Macit and sees the man counting his arrows and the bodies around him. Not seeing a weapon on his person other than the bow, the warrior steps over and flips up his sheathed silver dagger, holding it out to the man. "Keep this handy, should we run into more and they get closer than you would like. Try not to lose if, for I would like it back once this is over."

Handing over Silver Dagger to Macit.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

"Should we continue to move so carefully?" He looks grim at the broken shield. "There's people there that might need our help. I'd hate to leave someone in these things hands any longer than possible."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit catches the knife and looks down the blade approvingly. He looks up at Musad and shakes his head.

"Look around. If we don't move carefully we'll end up in worse shape than they are. I'd rather find them too, but one missing party is better than two"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Having no cloth or rags and realizing now the extent that her arms are covered in bone and blood, she shakes and hand wipes off as much as she can. This would be hell on her armor if she did not clean and oil it soon. Deeply disturbed by Macit's and Jad's reaction to her earlier outburst the Bey strikes a cool even tone while maintaining a smile "I agree with Sir Amir that the treasure is not what we should focusing on, especially given its position. Clearing the portals that we may simply walk through would seem more prudent. And perhaps we can take a moment to bind our wounds properly and refresh ourselves. For me battle takes a heavy toll on the body - even a battle as one sided as this leaves me with a heavy thirst and I have not eaten this day, for the magistrate did not provided the feast she ought to have."

She turns to Musa - "The nightmare is like a the surface of a pond, the more we disturb it the greater the ripples we can expect. I would not bring undue attention to ourselves." she reddens "My outburst earlier was unacceptable." "If the company is willing to ignore their injuries and press on I am willing - but I think it unwise."

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 17:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

Breathing heavily, still clutching his sword, he is quite surprised at the Bey's giddy outburst - but he makes no mention of it. As the conversation then drifts, Reza straightens in posture and shakes his head. "These were creatures of the nightmares, fellows. Abominations before the Law, and subject to it only in the means of their destruction." That seems to be all he intends to say on that matter.

He peers back towards the pits. "We should see what there is to see down there. With prudence but without over-slowness. There may be more than just boxes and beasts...and to leave the job unfinished would be to maintain the threat to the community in which this is only a butcher's shop, and not the charnel house that it is for so long as we tarry."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«15 »