Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
  • Post
  • Reply
tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra Coriander

The bard leans back on his heels, genuinely surprised by the aggressive show of affection. He rubs his lower lip, watching as the Bey whips and sashays through their group, momentarily drunk on victory. "Mimics often lurk in these dungeons, disguised as chests and crates. Unless the box below is one of them, it shan't move far. I advise taking the conventional path," he nods towards the doors, "Carefully and cautiously. Then, a measured treasure hunt. But not before we have destroyed the focus that makes this place exist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"The strongbox might hold something that will help us find the Anchor, which we need to remove to be rid of this place. Like it or not, this is a heist, not an assassination.

"I would prefer not taking an hour to rest, instead I could lend my bow to you Jad, and recover the arrows. Perhaps, then you could lend Macit your sword and shield, and you can take back your dagger."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:4 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18
Macit has 6 disposition after all.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2016 around 17:03

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She shrugs "It seems that most of our brothers have spoken. So be it. We go to save our brothers and sisters who came before us. Unless there is some further objection?"

If people appear ready she proceeds through the door next to the broken shield carefully.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad
Disposistion = 0. Health = 11

The warrior levels a look at Navid, clearly not caring for what the man suggests. "No," he says in a flat tone. "I would sooner give up my own arms than the sword my father gave me and the shield that represents my family. As long as I stand I shall not give them up to another and that is not to change. I appreciate the thought to my safety but I can stand through another fight, if we are to find one. Perhaps you should take the bow as you appear in the worst shape of us all."

As the Bey moves over to open one of the doors, he steps over to join her. "I do not wish to rest either, let us move on. If we come across this box then we can investigate, but our foes are what we should be focusing on."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"Indeed, if you refused the bow I considered myself next in line. Macit–I will lend you my sword now..."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:4 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit unslings the bow from his shoulder and hands it to Navid with a shrug. "I've got no problem with front lines, just as long we all get out of here alive."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Feeding Pits
Ambiance

Though there are somewhat raucous displays to be had, fortune seems to favor the men and women of the nightmare's delve: no further creatures arrive as of yet. Once the fated folk reach an accord of sorts, attention is shifted towards the southernmost door of the chamber after re-arming and steadying nerves among one another. At first, the door is found to be stuck--but with some shouldering, Jad is able to force the portal open, revealing the next adjoining chamber.

Sanctum of Slaughter - Charnel Hall

A broad, deep hall forty feet wide and seventy five feet long opens up before the party. To either side of the chamber, immense troughs have been built and piled high with bones, limbs and meat more indistinct in origins. Much has rotted and strewn about haphazardly--and the way itself through the center of the hall is littered with refuse and dried, tacky entrails.

Overhead, the ceiling vaults toward a lazily-sloped dome at its center of dusty sandstone, a faded mural painted on its surface seemingly depicting many robed men and women with joined hands ringing the perimeter of the dome, as if standing over those who pass through the hall itself.

Here, within this hall the stink is altogether overpowering, driving any who tread through the space to gag as eyes water and sinuses sting, stomachs turning irritably. If anything beyond grisly leavings might be found among the deep troughs, it would take time--and braving what may prove hazardous disease-ridden gore--to discover. More readily identified, however, is a discarded weapon: a flail lies next to debris partway down the hall, its spiked ball encrusted with dried blood.

For the interim, the way ahead is continued if naught for the sake of being clear of the wretched aromas threatening bile to surge to the surface and transform the chamber to a veritable vomitorium. With only a single door through which to proceed--this one fashioned of stouter wood of a more handsome make than the last--the party yet proceeds.

Sanctum of Slaughter - Pool Chamber

Seventy feet wide by fifty deep, the next chamber proves markedly more tenable than the hall which preceded it--though closing the door in the party's wake would better abate those foul smells whence they came. At the center of the chamber lies a grand pool twenty feet wide and ten across, seemingly fairly deep; water stands within the pool, seemingly clear and free of odorous vapors.

To the four corners of the chamber, tables and benches have been smashed and broken apart. Three more doors present themselves, with the doors set in the eastern and western walls fashioned of stout, darkly-stained wood--while the way across from the pool appears to be a door built of iron with a heavy rung at its center. Unlike the preceding chambers, there are no signs of detritus or gore in this room.

Upon taking a closer vantage of the pool, torchlight seems to penetrate its relatively clear--if dark and otherwise unlit--waters; from what can be seen, the pool is at least ten feet deep, though it is hard to discern any details further. At its surface, the water appears to be just that. Around the rest of the chamber, faded patches of mosaic tiles can be seen here and there over what is otherwise unremarkable stonework which they have chipped away from.

Zarina's keen eyes spy a subtle but notable detail: someone has carved small symbols into several of the masonry stones which surround the pool of water. By her recollection, the symbols appear to be of a faerie tongue, though she isn't certain as to their meaning. As near as Macit, Sister Reyhana or Zarina can tell, the symbols do not seem to be hazardous in nature.



Presumption was for the party to proceed past the charnel hall, though at your option you can perform a more exhaustive search of the gore piles if it pleases you--though not without risk of what may be arguably more mundane but no less dangerous threats.

Within the pool chamber, the atmosphere feels markedly less oppressive than elsewhere in the lair thus far. By appearances, the water in the pool appears relatively clear, for as much as water in a standing pool might. Between Macit, Zarina and Sister Reyhana, you do not believe that the faerie symbols--or the pool itself--are a trap.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Temporarily scabbarding her bastard sword. She picks up the flail, then feeling its weight in her hand she passes it off to Macit.
Her calm smile lies on her face "Better than a knife."

She turns to the group. "Hmm, obviously one of our predecessor's weapons. If the owner's weapon is here, perhaps the owner is as well." She turns to the group and smiles "I will search the gore for the body. Finding the body will give us a sense whether our predecessors yet live or not. If the body is undergoing putrefaction - if it is bloated, they were wiped out perhaps a day or two ago, if the body is not yet stiff and pooling blood then we may expect others to yet live for death will have occurred hours ago, if the body has not yet cooled, minutes. We have three doors which lie before us, one of you see if you can pick up their trail, perhaps they left a blood trail, which will tell us which door at the fork they took." She pauses a moment above the gore trough "Let no one say I would not risk my own life and well-being for the sake of a brother or sister." with that she plunges into the gore filled troughs, and searches them thoroughly.

Note: If the trough search proceeds without incident save stats lost, she proceeds to the pool and takes sip of water using a container careful not to contaminate it, she then washes herself off in the pool.

hands flail to Macit
Order: Search the troughs/charnel room
<mpb> should i make a dexterity or health check roll?
<mpb> !roll d20 #health
* LawBot rolled d20 for mpb and got 1
<mpb> !roll d20 #dex
* LawBot rolled d20 for mpb and got 1

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2016 around 14:54

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

The next room reminds her, unfortunately, of scrounging for trimmings outside the back of the grocer's in Neth as a child. It is not a pleasant memory - nor is it a pleasant room. So she shuts it all away and resolves not to dwell on it - what they seek is not here. She wrinkles her nose to see the noblewoman fishing weapons from the detritus. It is not until the next room that she opens her mouth. As Shodana starts to drink, she places a firm hand on the armored woman's shoulder, "Bey, it is not prudent. Were it a bathhouse in the city, it would not be. It is much less so for being found in an otherworldly butcher's den. With due respect, be mindful - this world is not ours." She wears a warm, tight smile with just a hint of displeasure. "We must not forget that."

She points to the etchings around the pool, "It was not the hands of men that put this here." She is not the most scholarly of sorts, but she knows it is unlikely the party of five dungeoneers before them cared to make such marks.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2016 around 06:56

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

The Bey looks at the runes pauses and nods "What you say is indeed prudent. I will not drink from the pool if you think it unwise." Her form is caked with the gore and foulness from her search of the charnel room. "Do you have a waterskin on hand? My thirst is overwhelming my better judgement."

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2016 around 07:09

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid offers his, "You can have mine."

"Now then, I'll take the risk, perhaps it might be helpful." Navid cups his hand and draws some water from the pool. He sniffs it and touches it to his lips, taking a sip if nothing seems off.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2016 around 07:32

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Pool Chamber

Drinking from the pool, Navid can feel an electric tingle run through his spine as his head swims for a few moments; briefly held fast as something seems to course through his system and make his pulse race--as the feeling subsides, Navid feels reinvigorated from the earlier sortie and once more in more proper fighting shape--though his physical injuries remain.

Navid passed a Health test and rolled Disposition with advantage, regaining 9 Disposition. Please be advised, this is not necessarily a guaranteed outcome.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Hovering near Reyhana, Kasra watches with interest as Navid sips from the pool and rises, seemingly energetic and refreshed. "If it's all the same, I shan't risk that, myself. And I think it admirable to be on the hunt for our predecessors, but..." he cups his ears, listening to the eerie stillness which seems to mix with edge of the devilish odors locked in behind them, "I'd be willing to wager it's just us and the monsters, down here. Hoping too much is a strange sort of poison on its own, in places like this."

The bard considers the doors, "East, I think. No particular reason."

tin can made man fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2016 around 19:58

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

"'If you are thirsty and there is an oasis, drink. You never know how long before the next one.'" Musad considers, looking at the water. "But I'm not be thirsty enough to risk drinking anything in this place, looking clean or not. Especially with those writings around it."Carefully he looked of any trace of those who went before.

Looking for any traces of the previous group. Dexterity 8
<Shogeton> !roll 1d20
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for Shogeton and got 5

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2016 around 21:00

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit holds his breath as they pass through the abattoir, but the stink burns his eyes and he can barely stop himself from breaking into a run to get out. He lets out his breath slowly as they enter the next room, taking a welcome breath of sweet air. The pool at the center of the room is suspicious to say the least, but he can't see any evidence of a trap.

Macit nearly gags when the Bey hands him the filthy flail, but nonetheless accepts it. "Thank you sister, I'll use it well."

He muses about what the writing on the fountain might mean, a warning or a boon? He kneels down beside the fountain to inspect the words, fascinated by the following script in stone.

He nearly jumps out of his skin when Navid takes a gulp of the water. He doesn't even realize he's holding his breath again until Navid stands again and shakes off his wounds. Stupid, he thinks, stupid and lucky.

Macit stands and looks at Musad inspecting the room. "Find anything, brother? Any sign of the missing?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

He throws up a hand to cover his nose and mouth as they move through the trough hallway, making his way through hastily to the other side. Although he may be used to the sight and smells of gore, the sheer volume of it here is near-overwhelming to his senses. His eyes widen in horror as the Bey lunges into the troughs. He can understand the desperation felt to find clues of those missing down here, but even still it is a horrendous sight.

Within the next room he watches curiously as Navid proceeds to drink from the pool without any hesitation. "How do you feel?" A foolish risk, he thinks to himself. Lucky the man did not fall over dead there and then. And lucky if he is not somehow poisoned in some unseen way now. "You should not be so quick to consume anything you find down here. It is more likely to harm than aid you."

He looks down at the strange markings around the pool. Not by man, the Sister states. "The nightmares wrote this then? Why would they bother?"

He nods to Kasra. "The eastern door seems as good as any. Although I am curious about that one." He points to the iron southern door that stands out from the other two in the room.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid shrugs at the unsolicited advice, "You all envy me my luck, but do not lecture me as if I did not weigh the risk. The fey are fickle but they are not of the nightmare, and you need all the help you can get, in here."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

He is silent for a time, studying the scenery in the hallway with pointed disgust. The pool room is perhaps more hospitable, but for Reza that is a matter of degree and not kind. The place itself is an abomination, and Reza is not apt to treat it otherwise. When he realizes what Navid has done, Reza looks a touch surprised - not at the action, but its result. Relieved that it did not go wrong, as well. "That may well be true," he says finally, "But I am suspecting that we should not all be so fortunate, if we all were to drink. As you say: they are fickle." And of course he himself has vows. Obligations. Beasts they were not, but still far from his conception of the Law.

With that, he stands at watch while the others search - interested in the findings as he is, he recognizes that there will be no truly safe moment until they are above ground and the proverbial pillar of the place has been dealt with.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

"Fey?" He all but spits the word out and his hand moves to his sword hilt as he visibly tenses at the mention of them. "Fey will help us as much as the Nightmares will. Anything of their origin should be avoided just as much, if not treated with more suspicion and cautiousness."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at Dec 5, 2016 around 20:09

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She busies herself with taking an etching of the faerie symbols. The scholar also adds a notation to their map referencing the curiosity.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

At the outburst she looks up from her work picking through the gore and ichor "Calm down Ser Amir. Fighting among brothers here in this place is not acceptable. Besides if this pool has granted strength to Navid then it is a simple weapon. If an enemy tosses a javelin at you on the field of battle would you hesitate to toss it back at them simply because you held hatred in your heart for the owner? As with the Javelin such with this pool, it is merely a magic weapon with sigils rather than pointed edges - as a citizen of Law you should know that magic is a thing that can be studied, understood, and used by all no matter its origins." She points out Zarina's work scribing "See the work of our Sister Zarina she knows too that what we understand, we need not fear irrationally." She tosses back Navid's waterskin having drunk her fill, more the halving its contents. She resumes her grisly search.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 5, 2016 around 20:51

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

He cocks an eyebrow up at the gore-covered Bey. "If you think I am starting a fight amongst us then you are mistaken, for I have no quarrel with any of you. Navid is safe and we should be thankful for it, simply put. But I still state that we should be cautious of all we encounter down here as we proceed, be it of Nightmare, Fey or even human origin."

He grunts, knowing he will start a fight if he wastes time talking any more. He moves over to the eastern door, ready to open it when the others appear ready as well. "Regardless, this pool does not matter. We have Nightmares to kill."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Charnel Hall & Pool Chamber

From her thorough search of the gory remnants in the hall, Shodana discovers a woman's arm which has been gnawed upon--still festooned with a marvelously intricate pewter armlet which seems of some value. Additionally, she unearths an azurite gemstone--albeit caked with flecks of blood. Though her constitution proves stout, Shodana is left with the creeping feeling of filth.

Back in the pool chamber, Musad takes a much more measured search of the surroundings--and perhaps it is a trick of the light or his imagination, but he seems to glimpse something protruding among the rubble in the corner previously missed. Upon closer inspection, the man finds a throwing axe embedded in the underside of a broad plank of wood that has overturned.

Shodana avoided catching a disease in her excursion and turned up a pewter armlet (valued at 70 cyphers) and an azurite gemstone (valued at 10 cyphers.)

It's a little skewed with searching when generally thief + scholar are going to automatically find hidden things when the party is taking their time, provided things are their level or lower.

That being said, Musad was able to find something a little extra this time; generally speaking, the automatic checks are the go-to if simply to avoid nine instances of 'I roll to search the room' every time you enter a new area, which I suspect is the reason for the automatic search rules.

Will update with the next room when I'm home later.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Showing the arm off to the group "There is not enough of her left to know if this occurred the day before, but" she makes a show of trying to bend the arm at the elbow "The arm is inflexible, so we know she perished more than a few hours ago. Sparse information I suppose, but you never know what you might catch when you go hunting." She shows off the pewter armlet and gemstone to the group " We will return these to her next of kin or family." She puts the items in her pack and places the arm carefully on the ground. She waves at Jad to proceed through the eastern door.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Kasra blanches dramatically, "The armlet would have sufficed, and we would have trusted your word on its source. Actually bringing the poor remnants of its owner was perhaps untoward," he eyes the discarded and dismembered arm with a raised eyebrow, though his interested eye drifts from the gore-caked limb to their gore-caked Bey, "Better to keep it as scoured treasure, I think. Canvas the families of all the women who ventured or were taken down here, and every son and sister will insist that their beloved departed carried that armlet with her wherever she went, and that it must be returned, for value sentimental. Ask the families of the men, and they will shout that their brother or father also carried a treasured bauble about his delicate, feminine wrists. Give it to the Magistrate's man to bequeath, and likely you will find it upon his niece's arm at the next shah's sup."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She shakes her head, "My dear Kasra, I would not be as fool as that. After these precious baubles have been cleaned, I will turn them over to Sister Reyhana, doubtless she has contacts who may better ascertain the true owners - certainly the common folk would be less keen to lie to her. If the owners still cannot be found , she may pawn them and donate the proceeds to charity or simply give them away to a needy family."

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2016 around 02:18

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Glancing from Shodana to Reyhana, "Dear Sister, am I not needy enough?" The bard turns out the cypher-pouches of his bag and pats the side of his robes, "Do remember your funny little pauper when you're redistributing alms."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She has no shortage of imagination for the kinds of things that armlet could do to serve less well off communities, but publicly voicing such feelings is not the Abbess's teaching. To the bard though, "My dear friend, you are wealthy in health and wit, it is we who are gracious that you share such bounty with us."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Silent Sentinels
Ambiance

With a decision struck to venture east from the fae-marked pool, the door there is foisted open with a measure of effort--hinges creaking in protest as the portal is opened. Torchlight flickers and sends shadows to dance into the chamber beyond, revealing a marked departure from the dark stone flooring of the lair prior. Here, smooth albeit aged tiles form a central path twenty feet wide which stretches onward; to either side of the tile, ten feet of dusty soil and stone sits un-worked, with larger rocks scattered about before well-worn walls.

Combating the pitch darkness deep beneath Narkavrum, Jad, Musad and Reza are the first through the span, taking to the vanguard for the group. Silence hangs on the air, save for the subtle crunch of gravel underfoot as the men advance several paces--before movement is heard among the darkness ahead as something--several somethings--stir. Quietly, metal and leather slide and shift in a curious chorus of unison--and as torchlight is brandished to reveal the source, four skeleton faces grin back at the torchbearers from empty sockets.

Four figures stand abreast in formation ahead, adorned in heavy armour and holding shields; in perfect synchronicity the four draw free curved khopesh blades as they rise into matching stances, lifting their shields and taking to fighting positions with nary a whisper between them. It is as the four brace for battle that the torchbearers can make out three more skeletal figures beyond them--each wielding a long yew bow, the supple wood creaking only faintly as they mechanically draw and nock arrows, bowstrings slowly drawn taut.

Seventy five feet down the passageway, a pair of sizable heavy stone doors can be glimpsed, their surfaces embossed with a bas relief of two halves of a solar eclipse casting darkness over a sea of men and women on their hands and knees, heads bowed.



Initiative results: Macit 13, Shodana 5, Kasra 11, Navid 8, Jad 5, Musad 5, Reyhana 9, Zarina 9, Reza 11; known standing enemies are Speed 8, one action will resolve simultaneously.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2016 around 03:03

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

The Khashayarshazadi quickly goes from a resting position of left hand holding sword pommel and the flat of her blade resting on her shoulder to a high guard position, left hand on pommel right on hilt, her sword raised above her head. A stance from which blows were easy to predict, but powerful. Glimpsing the hint of bows she shouts "Charge them! Break their line!" The logic of the tactical order she made ran through her head: it would be extremely awkward for three fighters to walk backward through the narrow squeeze of the doorway while under fire. In general retreating in the face of the enemy was against her instincts as a soldier - you were never more vulnerable than when you were running away. Closing with an enemy which possessed the weight of ranged weapons seemed natural and if her band fell back they would gain no advantage as falling back would simply forfeit the bottleneck to the enemy, and they could destroy her band at range from the doorway. However despite this line of thought the Bey prepared to get into cover, she did not trust the metal of her compatriots, odds were they would break and run - the possibility of an ordered retreat and the discipline it entailed unthinkable to her in this band of civilians.

Orders from Shodana: Hold action. Advance towards enemies if majority of fighters advance towards them, if people begin falling back get behind the northern wall, adjacent to the eastern wall, but relatively close to the doorway, but not in line of sight from the hallway.

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:4 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2016 around 08:33

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

"Ah!" Zarina gasps and scurries into nearby cover! Her eyes strain to scrutinise the distant figures illuminated by torchlight.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Bey Shodana!" Kasra nearly falls over as he reaches out. Down the hall he can see the hulk of armor, the oppressive flatness of a shieldwall, and, as he would no doubt swear later, the very glint of an arrowhead. This would be too hard-won of a fight, if won at all. "Back! Back! They are too many! It's suicide!" But their stoutest warriors had already entered the fray; no helping that. "Swift feet! Narrow profiles! You've faced worse and survived! But now, we are deep afoot in grass, where it is better to be the viper, than the ox!"

Dropping one more DP to give Jad two
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 2 SPD: 8

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

More creatures. She looks to the bard with a heavy heart and unloops her hatchet from her belt. The bey orders charge, and while the Sister seems less than enthused, she is, admittedly, not an experienced soldier. In her... narrow experience, caution is the watchword and patience is a way of life - an unfavorable opportunity is not an opprotunity at all. If you see a path forward that will make you bleed, then it is not a path forward.

Kasra is experienced, she believes, and the bey and the soldiers too. She grips her hatchet and hangs back, hesistant to rush in.

Holding action. Will commit after the front line folks commit

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

He hesitates for a split-second as they pass through - at least, once his eyes and mind register the rather surprisingly regular-looking formation of their next foes. Not to mention wicked arms of a much more threatening caliber than the claws of the beasts before. "...very organized," hisses Reza, as much displeased at their preparedness as he is at the fact they had all simply walked into it unawares. Poor luck, but strength and cunning would have to both save them. And cunning first.

He starts to drop back to the other side of the doorway. "Suicide is not required of us," he agrees, echoing Kasra's words as he relays the message to Jad and Musad. "They are set and ready for us - we must fool them before we can break them! Back behind the door!"

Backpedaling and seeking cover at the edge of the doorframe outside.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2016 around 17:13

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad stood, hesitating for a moment as these were entirely different than a bunch of vermin. These looked like trained soldiers. But then, the order came, and Musad's own words earlier made pride demand he'd follow, the bard's words ignored, as was Reza's advice. A charge was commanded, a charge would be started. Hatred for the Nightmares and guilt conspired to drown out fear and caution, and though he was not the fastest, he'd charge forward, eagerly leading the charge, if others would wait for someone else to charge first.

""I'll break their line then! Come on, creatures. I've not yet had my fill destroying you!"

Well, this might be a bad call, but considering the way I've plaeyd Musad, feel like he's got to do this. Charging the closest

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Silent Sentinels
Ambiance

Faced with the skeletal sentinels, Shodana shouts out the order for a charge while Zarina moves more fully away from the doorway; shouts cross one another in the air, with Kasra calling out in the hopes of bolstering his fellows as mettle was about to be tested. Reza is the swiftest on his feet as he speaks to countermand Shodana’s charge—moving to fall back through into the pool chamber to seek cover.

Jad and Musad, however, prove slower on the draw—and with a trio of sharp twangs shafts are loosed from down the hall; the first clips and skirts past Musad’s upper body, rattling the man’s nerves mere moments after he prepares to charge his foes. In that same heartbeat, another shaft strikes and deflects away from Jad’s shield harmlessly.

Musad’s endeavor to close the gap with his foes is cut short decisively by the third arrow, however—and all present bear witness to the man sent careening over backwards as an arrow catches him in the eye, spilling the fighting man to the dusty floor in an unconscious heap as blood begins to ooze from his head. It is immediately clear that he is out cold and bleeding out—and will surely perish if the flow is not staunched and the body not brought to safety.

Partial round resolution between folks acting, holding and making decisions. Three shots from the skeletal archers, one apiece for Jad and Musad as they remain in the hall slower on the initiative draw; Jad’s missed its mark, but Musad’s hit for 7 damage and blew through his remaining Disposition, clipping Health against his upper body for the hit location.

So far so good—but the third arrow was a coin toss for who it was fired at and Musad was the unlucky winner; it found its mark for another 7 damage like the first, directly to Health, and the hit location was determined to be Head -> Eye. As Musad was not wearing a helmet, he had to eat the hit and subsequently failed his Health and Willpower tests for Shock -> Unconsciousness. Additionally, the 50/50 odds turned poor as well and left him bleeding out, with 2 Health remaining.

Musad requires immediate medical attention. Binding his wounds requires someone spending a round attending to the wound (roll not necessary, just a complicated action) to slow his bleeding from 1 Health per round to 1 Health per 5 - 10 minutes instead. Spending a further full turn will fully staunch his bleeding afterwards.

Archers have fired for this turn; the remaining sentinels remain at the ready and do not appear, now that some have hesitated and observed them, to be making any motion to close the gap toward your end of the hall.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Seeing Musad fall before her, arrow sticking out his eye she yells "Fallback! Musad is down! Jad help me with him NOW! Try to stop his bleeding!". She runs forward and grabs Musad by the armpits and begins dragging him to cover. "Scribe get your instruments ready!". She glares coldly at Reza. Some "Champion" this coward, disobeyed orders and let an unarmored man take an arrow meant for him while he ran for cover in his heavy armor and shield, so much for the convictions of the lawful.

<mpb> !roll 1d20 #target 15 ferocity attempt to drag musa away
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 3

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2016 around 20:04

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

As the door opens with a thump, Macit tenses again. Although helpful, this respite has been all too short and he girds himself for what's coming next. He can't see, only hear the shuffle and rattle of the armored skeletons as they make their move. The next few seconds are almost a blur even to his highly trained senses. The call to charge, the twang of bowstrings, and Musad's fall. He flattens himself against the wall behind the door and awaits the first enemy to come through, his gore coated flail at the ready.

Holding action to ambush the first skeleton through the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She stifles a cry when Musad drops to an arrow. "Yes!" Zarina answers Shodana while trying to steady her hands.

Queuing up stabilising Musad for next round.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«14 »