Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
  • Post
  • Reply
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Facing down the skeleton shieldwall, Jad realizes the suicidal nature of charging well before the shouts and calls come from the others behind. "It's a trap!" he shouts, then nodding in agreement with Reza. "The advantage is theirs, we must fall back!" The calls from Kasra fill him with vigor once more, but not so foolish is he to run into certain death despite the order from their de facto leader. Easy to give the order to advance, he thinks, when you are stood well behind the men charging forward to die.

He begins to edge back toward the door with Reza, his shield held aloft in good time to deflect an incoming arrow. But Musad's charge gives him pause. He stops and thinks to charge ahead with the man, if only to defend him from the onslaught of blows he is sure to face, but then the arrow strikes and down Musad falls.

With his sword still not drawn, he wastes no time in marching out and he reaches Musad before the Bey even gets there. He is no stranger to battlefield injuries, so he proceeds with precision in extracting the arrow in one swift motion and tearing a piece of cloth from his clothes to bind the man's wound as quickly and firmly as possible. When the Bey does reach him, he casts her a grim look knowing her foolish order could well have been what spurred Musad on and lead him to possibly lose his life.

"Get him out of here!" He leaves Shodana to drag the man back to safety, raising his shield once more in the hopes of deflecting the next volley before he too makes his escape back to the others.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2016 around 22:02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She stares daggers back at Jad, he can tell by subtle movements she is considering dropping Musad and smacking him in the face, but she continues dragging Musad. She stews on Jad's dirty look at her after she has dragged Musad to safety, the fool starts a fight with Navid and drags us into a trap and I am the one to blame for this?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She watches grimly as events unfold. Musad charges like a madman, perhaps heeding his orders or lost in his in own demons, and is put down the way mad things are. The sister rubs her thumb along the broad side of her hatchet's head thoughtfully, waiting from the safe cover of the threshold. It is no time for a parable or a reassurance - so she offers neither. And though she feels her previous statements about treating this whole place with caution might be worth repeating, she does not. When the danger is clear, she will move to assist Zarina with tending to the fallen warrior.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Afreet's rear end," Kasra curses under his breath as blood is spilled once more. At a glance, the wound was grievous; there may be no hope for the Sundown Chaser, and certainly none left for his eye... Bey Shodana nobly (though, technically, all things she does could be described as such, Kasra quietly quips to himself) goes under fire to retrieve the man, and the bard can't quell the sudden rush of foolish heroism boiling in his stomach, either. Patting the boiled leather around his chest for encouragement, he darts down the hall at a low crouch, grabbing Musad's other leg and helping the Bey pull him back into the antechamber.

Doing this if next round's initiative allows
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 3 SPD: 8

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Leaving Musad to Kasra's and Zarina's care she stands up and yells "We need to get that damned door closed and barred!"

Next round's actions

Orders: Hold action, wait for skeleton archers to fire or until last player acts and then close and spike door, unless enemy melee has charged
<mpb> !roll 1d20 #close and spike door
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 3

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 7, 2016 around 05:53

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit feels his blood run cold as he sees Shodana and Jad dragging Musad out of the hallway, the arrow still jutting out of his eye socket. As the Bey lunges for the door, he drops his flail and helps her force it shut, spiking it in the process so the skeletons can't reopen it.

Breathing heavily, he leans his back against the door, bracing for the charge of the eerily quiet opponents. The last battle, even with its carnage had made them overconfident. This time they hadn't been so lucky.

helping bar the door!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid helps bar the door too,"Who has spikes?"
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Fae-Marked Pool
Ambiance

With Musad felled from an arrow to the head, the man’s fellows hasten to swiftly remove him from the hall before the skeletal sentinels bring further arsenal to bear; beyond the receding flicker of torchlight, those impassive faces gaze silently and steadily—once more disappearing into the dark as the fated delvers decide to withdraw. Quickly shutting the door, an effort is made to bar it as readily as can be hoped—and lacking pitons on hand, debris is used in its stead.

Meanwhile, Zarina leads an effort to first staunch—and thereafter stabilize Musad where he lay. Somewhat delicately, the fighting man’s eye injury is tended—and though the scholar finds that Musad’s eye itself did not prove the final home of the arrow’s ancient head, the surrounding socket was damaged severely when from an impact along the side of his skull. At least for the immediate future, Musad has been blinded in one eye—but perhaps he may yet have a chance at a miraculous recovery in the future.

For now, with the portal closed and barred, the nine fated souls are left in relative silence once again as the far-marked pool at the center of the chamber ripples faintly from all the commotion.

Combat initiative has been suspended following the party disengaging with the sentinels successfully. Jad is presumed able to withdraw from the corridor, as the sentinels do not seem to be driven to pursue further engagement at the present juncture.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Having seen the skeletons not attempt to move and having successfully barred the door Shodana still livid but attempting a rictus of a smile begins barking out orders "Lets get all these doors barred up and get a fire started with whatever wood is left over from these broken benches and tables to spare our torches. We need to give Musad time to rest." Shodana appraises Musad "Good work on the eye Zarina" she gives Zarina an affectionate pat on the back with her slightly less dried-gore strewn hand. She takes another moment to survey the room. "If any of you are skilled in trap making arts you may want to attempt to turn this room into a fortress." She plucks out the throwing axe that Musad had pointed out earlier and hands it to Kasra to use as a weapon or improvised tool as needs be "Yes, manual labor is expected of you as well" she half-teases. She begins barricading the other doors.

hands throwing axe to kasra

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2016 around 00:08

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

Macit realises that he's bracing for a blow that isn't going to come. He wills his body to relax and lets his breath out in a slow hiss.

"I don't think they're worried about us anymore. I might be able to make a trap on the door, but any others are more likely to hurt us than them." He takes the chance while Musad is getting patched up to listen at the other doors.

"Kasra doesn't choose the path anymore."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"Hah, do you want to be the next fool-of-the-hour? Any path will lead to danger more likely than not.

"I say go through the door opposite the skeletons. Perhaps things are generally more deadly to the East, away from the entrance."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Musad's wound was bad, Kasra's breadth of medicine was enough to comprehend that. Leaning next to Zarina, pulling her robe or wiping sweat from her brow when needed. He gives Macit's suggestion a wry smile, "Can't say I disagree with that, friend." Kasra stands and catches Shodana's throwing axe as he rises, quickly going to work, hammering the butt of the handle and wrenching with the bladehead.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She mostly tunes out her surroundings while dressing Musad's wound. Shodana gets a nod and Kasra's assistance is met with a smile. "Are you awake?" Zarina gently asks the one-eyed warrior.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She glumly looks over Musad's injury, grimacing in distaste. It's an awful waste. The sister stands over Kasra and Zarina with her arms crossed, watching them work. Gently, she prods, "Will he be able to be moved soon?" She tries to make that sound less cold than it does.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad slowly opened one eye and looked up at several people looking up. "Ngh.... well, I'm not dead, so I suppose we won?" He said somewhat groggiy, then winced in pain as even that movement caused sharps pang of agony to course through his body. A hand rose reflexively towards his eye, only to likely be interrupted. "Ugh... this.... hurts bad."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She shouts over her shoulder, "Everyone who isn't working on the barricades eat and drink, get some rest now!"

rest!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

He works a moment on bracing the door, then turns once Musad stirs. "Best keep hands away from there, friend. Good you are awake already, though. A good sign." Moving to sit a moment, Reza looks down the hall, in thought for a moment. "They were waiting for us. Or for anyone. And we had no way of knowing before we were in the trap. We must find a way to guard against that; another such ambush would be...not good." A pause. "Another such would be especially not good in our current state."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Fae-Marked Pool
Ambiance

A decision is reached to rest, that those wounded and winded might have opportunity to recover from the arduous delve thus far. Bulwarking the entrances to the chamber of the far-marked pool, the fated folk hunker down thereafter—supping of rations, drinking of draughts and whetting dry throats and knotted stomachs. Here, deep beneath the street of the butcher’s shop among realms beyond the reach of Law, those men and women present steel themselves in anticipation of what horrors may yet come for them.

Weariness abates in some measure, though Musad’s pain remains considerable—the man’s discomfort substantial once his initial shock has worn off. A makeshift covering of cloth helps to bind and staunch the injury—but the man can ill afford further trauma to his skull, let alone other prospective injuries should he not prove vigilant. Still, in spite of the casualty, the party remains largely in fit fighting condition—and having weathered and slaughtered the onslaught of the wretches before, surely other foes must await their deadly efficacy again.

For much of the hour which passes, the encroaching darkness gnaws at nerves and imaginations as torches gradually begin to dwindle and die out; faint sounds can be heard, partly muted by the doorways, as nightmarish creatures lurk beyond the way of those barricaded portals—but whatever fortune might favor those assembled, no such creatures attempt to breach their perimeter… for now.

Majority of the party has concurred to take a Short Rest here. This process extinguishes and consumes all existing candle and torchlight—so the five torches the group initially descended with have now been used up. Several party members have replacement torches, and folks are welcome to mix up who’s carrying one once you resume adventuring again.

Fortunately for the party, no wandering monsters were encountered during this short rest. Here is a quick primer for folks as we learn along and who may be reading the thread and curious:

Short Rest
When you spend an hour or so resting, eating, and re-hydrating, you may re-roll your Disposition, if you want to, unless you have already done a full day’s work.

Long Rest
When you sleep for 6 or more hours (depending on how exhausted you are), you must re-roll your Disposition. If it has been a full day and night, or more, since you last had a 6-hour rest, you get no benefits from a rest that is shorter than 6 hours per day you have gone without rest. You also lose 1d6 Disposition (but not Health) each night you go without sleep.

Day’s Rest
When you spend a day resting while awake after a full night’s sleep, you may recover 1 point from one of your attributes that have been reduced, unless there is something else preventing you (magical enchantment or a secret poisoner, for example). If you have more than one reduced attribute, you may recover 1 point from two of them, if either or both of them are your primary attributes.
However, you can’t recover your Health until you heal some or all of your injuries, if you have any crippled or mutilated limbs, or specific wounds (aside from just bruises, cuts, and lacerations). Injuries heal as they would in real life. You can look it up yourself, this is a game, not a medical textbook.

Re-rolling your disposition is optional here; because of Kasra’s presence in the party first and foremost, you get to make this roll at Advantage, so you can roll twice and take the more preferable result. Reza also provides this bonus for those who share his alignment, but multiple sources of advantage don’t lend any additional effect.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

During the rest, she takes out rations from her backpack, consisting of a goat cheese wheel, some flat bread, humus, olives, a jar of dried lentils, beef salami, and a oddly black jar with white spherical objects bobbing up and down in it. She shares the rations with all in the band, but she foists the black jar at Reza, "Pick one and eat it. They are balut raised by my kinsmen and given to me as a gift before I parted from Citadel, you would disrespect me greatly by refusing."

Rather than feeling better during the rest, the Bey feels much worse. Maybe it is her ancestral armor being covered in a thin spattering of gore, maybe it the severe wounding of the only member of the band of she has any empathy for. Mostly though it was her dwelling on Reza's disobedience and cowardice - the countermanding of her order in battle and his rapid retreat from the frontline and her impotence while a part of this group to do anything but take it.

After the rest:
Having rinsed off a good portion of the gore from her armor it once again has some of its former resplendence, though it is not fully clean. Despite her apparent abject misery she assumes her usual smile
"I believe we have agreed to the western portal this time. I will lead the way as I have since before we were ambushed" her gaze turns to Jad. "However, if Musad does not want to continue or if Zarina believes Musad is not physically able to continue we will escort him back to town where he may convalesce."

Provided Musad doesn't want to return to town:
She removes her shield from her back straps and proceeds to strap her arm tightly to the arm strap. She picks up a torch with her shield arm and grips it together with the hand strap. With torch in one hand and shield in the other she proceeds to the western door. "Fighters in front, Musad stand slightly aback" as they open the door she peeks through to see as much of the lay of the next room before actually proceeding through the door. Carefully she moves forward.


<mpb> !roll 2 1d6 #disposition
* LawBot rolled 1d6 for mpb and got ( 2 1 ) for a total of: 3
<slydingdoor> rip


C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2016 around 21:18

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad

"I'll be fine." Musad said, the pain in his voice the tell-tale mark of a lie. "Though I should... likely not be in the front. I can come in... if others are looking to fall. Every moment we dally this place might claim more lives." He got to his feet unsteadily, his polearm supporting his weight. "Once we find the cause of this, I can rest plenty and easily."

Rolled a 4 on the Disposition roll.
C:8 D:8 F:13 H:2/12 I:12 W:12
AR:? DP:4 SPD: 6

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid laughs at the balut, "That is street food where I come from! You nobles will 'elevate' anything." He takes one and eat it loudly in front of and before Reza. "Mm, savory."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

She snatches one balut for herself. "I do not elevate it, it is street food where I come from as well, but it was a gift from my kinsman so it is precious to me." She pops the egg into her mouth. "This kinsman of mine is a fourth cousin and he is a simple herdsman. " She crunches her teeth down into the bone and meat of the egg.

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

At first he says nothing in response to them, instead standing and walking over to Musad. "I've knives for throwing, if you wish. Give you some space to work with. This too," he adds, pointing at his helmet. "It has been in my family many years, yet you may yet have more need of it this day. Though if we survive, I would wish to have it back, if only for sentimental value."

Then he turns around. With an expression halfway between a smirk and a sneer, Reza looks to the Bey and Navid. "Hm. A generous offer," he says at first, tilting his head. But then, he continues. "I would so hate to disrespect one who has shown such regard for the lives for which they have made themselves responsible. Yet it is said, Bey, that though there is but one Law, duty under it is a river that runs in both directions." His eyes blaze, though his tone still carries at least the veneer of courtesy. "I am wondering - when the rest of us to charge had fallen in front of steel and arrows, exactly as our foes were prepared for us to do - what would you have done then?" He laughs. "Perhaps this should not be answered. Perhaps we should simply see if the next path is one somewhat less self-evidently futile."

For disposition:
[18:07] <FractionJackson> !roll 2 1d8
[18:07] * LawBot rolled 1d8 for FractionJackson and got ( 2 3 ) for a total of: 5

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

The bey drops the jar of baluts and it clatters to the ground. The Bey takes Reza aside and whispering to him she begins on a lengthy diatribe “In my thirty years as a commander on the borders of Neth, I have never seen a noble act with such cowardice or with such willful disobedience, as you have this day. You have had ample opportunity before combat to question my leadership - if the band had decided to make you or anyone else leader, I would’ve followed with more faith and respect than you have shown me. Yet after accepting my commands out of combat, you have chosen to question my orders while we were engaged with the enemy - I know not what martial training you have, but your actions go against every principle of war I know of. Right or wrong an order in battle is an order that must be obeyed.

If this were the border guard I could have you lashed or hanged simply for disobeying an order while under my command and not only did you display a willful disobedience, but also blatant cowardice or perhaps incompetence on the field with your actions. You broke the line, you beat feet back to the rear so fast you did not even lift a finger to help the fallen brother by your side. A poorly equipped man, you should have shielded him, or at least proffered yourself as target for the archers.

If you were not simply operating out of cowardice then your tactics shows your incompetence for it was thus: you trusted the enemy to fall into some sort of convoluted ambush that you had laid right in front of them. If the enemy had advanced as you wagered they would, then without you in the line, Jad would have been surrounded and alone and he would be dead now. Musad would dead as well stabbed on the ground while lying unconscious.

If we are to fight the same enemy again we will have to charge them - as per my original order, for they will not move so that we may engage them on more favorable terms. Why would they do otherwise even they were not mindless sentries? For they have the weight of missiles on their side and what good will our sole bow do against enemies with no vitals? If we are to charge, how can I trust you to fight with me shoulder to shoulder against the enemy?"

"This entire expedition I have ever been first to put myself in danger - but Jad wanted to lead this breach so I gave him the van. I would've been first to charge if I had the position, I do not value my skin so much above my comrades, unlike you, you cowardly worm."

She sighs. “What would you have done with a man such as yourself if you were in my place? If you want the lead then take it you yellow cretinous creature or stop whining."

Finally she shouts to the group “If you have no faith in my abilities bring it up now and we can decide on a new leader. I have no desire to have two voices yelling opposing orders at every engagement, that is the path to death for us all. If you choose a new leader I implore you to treat them with more respect than you have treated me. I for one know the folly of questioning a commander in battle. "

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2016 around 02:25

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

At this, Reza laughs louder, echoing, amazed as he is by the incredulity of the Bey. "Ah, words to hide a callous heart. You would have sent us to our deaths without a thought, for naught. Is this how they teach to command in Citadel? Is this your idea of what the Law requires - martyrdom without purpose?" He shakes his head. "I fought, in truth, side by side with you an hour ago, and helped stop us from being overrun, at the point of the sword when the beasts came for us. I held your rope before that." He points, stabbing at the air with his fingers. "Now, faced with your own mistake, an order you never should have given, you blame me. I suppose that is your right, but it only marks you more the fool."

He doffs his helmet, eyes still bright with conviction. "If you want to lead - lead well. If you want to be respected - show respect. If you want people to die for you - make it be for something. This is the only way." He sighs, heart heavy. "I countermanded your order because we would have failed and everyone in this room knows it, except, apparently, you. My only regret is that I did not do so soon enough for Musad's sake. You call me incompetent, as if you have an idea, but those instructions of yours...there is no other word for them. Who is more the fool - the fool, or the fool who follows the fool?" At that the vitriol goes out of his voice. "I tell you this so you can learn from it, so that we do not all die following you and give this place a few more ghosts. I do not want your responsibility. I just want you to take that responsibility for what it is. We have all put our lives in your hands, and I am now wondering what you will do with them in the future."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2016 around 02:48

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

She shakes her head some of the anger draining from her features "You are not some wise sage and your simple moral axiom is not profound. This is an issue of tactics and military dogma, if you are a lover of learning then you should know, no military functions on disobedience no society functions without some hierarchy. To disobey a commander on the battlefield means chaos and death. A bad order followed is better than a good order and a bad order shouted. You say that Musad had fallen because of my order, but I see it different if you had not broke the line early Musad would not have fallen at all. You evade this fact with your flowery language, you should have been a shield to the shieldless man else you should not have been on the frontline at all. Once you broke the line Jad and Musad's lives were forfeit. It is by luck the enemy did not advance and crush the weakened line." She pauses."You call my orders foolish but do not answer the question: if you were to fight those sentries, what exactly is your plan to fight them other than to charge them? For luring them out does not seem to be in the cards. I never claimed my order was ideal but what you offered as alternative both then and now is no better. You say I that I still hold your lives in my hand, but tell me how can any leader lead when they know they will not be obeyed, perhaps you would say Ah tis obvious we will only obey the good orders, but what leader does not make bad as well as good decisions? You offer me a chalice filled with dung and tell me to sup on it heartily. Who be mad enough to accept such a gift? Or am I the only one here who is willing to suck down this offal?"

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2016 around 06:06

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Turn the chalice over; give the dung to the earth, and the cup to the sinkbasin. With a few scrubs, it'll be back to a fine enough vessel from which to sip as you watch the flowers bloom," Kasra shrugs airily, but not without confidence. "Wise decisions are based on practicality and patience, not bravado and obstinance."

C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 6 SPD: 8

tin can made man fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2016 around 03:57

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

"If this world were governed solely by wise decisions, there would be no need for battle or war, the vices and everyday horrors that these nightmares are born from would not exist. As it is both obstinance and bravado have their place on the battlefield. If we were not obstinate in our fight against the nightmare we would have left it long ago, as is such with our own bravado. We are not wisest of men and women to be here in a nightmare."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She dampens a cloth with her own water - not trusting the basin - and moves to help tend to Musad wordlessly, cleaning around the warrior's wound with the attention of someone who has seen similar. Her own face still flecked with gore from the previous battle, she finally gives the fighter a tight smile, "If we return to town, it can be treated better. If I had brought my needle, I could do better work - but I am without. If your flesh becomes hot to touch, tell me or Zarina."

She pushes the hair back out of her eyes, eyeing him meaningfully, "Be careful with your life - you carry a rare name now, and if it is left here, then your people are truly lost."

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2016 around 04:17

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid's voice is firm, "Companions, we can go in circles and laugh and shout louder and louder until monsters come to shut us up, or we can finish this now and continue on–both of you must dine on dung together." He claps each of their shoulders in either hand, squeezing first Shodana's:

"Shodana bey, your order was rash, and if everyone had been as quick to follow it as Reza was to follow his own sense, more would have fallen. Consider, if everyone had been as quick to see the ambush for what it was and all had defied you, and thus no one had been wounded, would you not admit then that you were in error? You know your hierarchical military theory is made for purposes other than ours, such as governance and conquest, and itself is of our world, not this one, where we are more fallible than anywhere. We must respect what we do not know and sometimes whose sense is quickest."

Then he turns to Reza, "Reza, a warrior knows they will be shot at and their life will be threatened, moreso if caught isolate. You left your fellow in that position, and he nearly paid with his life. If it had been you who were the slow one, and someone else had left you alone, and you were gravely wounded, would you not have cursed the one who left your side? It is better to share the burden than to let it all fall upon the slowest and weakest. You know this, it is the Law by which we all thrive.

"In conclusion, neither abandon your allies to be surrounded nor commit them forth into the dark, like pawns when you cannot see the other side of the board. Nor argue loudly and at length in a nightmare dungeon full of monsters." He releases them both and heads toward the next door.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

"Musad would benefit from convalescing above ground but I… um," she breaks her silence after dressing the last Sundown's injury. She wrings her hands for a moment and then continues to speak, "I believe it'd be prudent to secure a more tangible result before we return to civilisation." Zarina forces herself to smile at the other adventurers.

Disposition 4: * LawBot rolled d4 for Razeam and got ( 4 3 ) for a total of: 7; Psychic Armour 2: * LawBot rolled d4 for Razeam and got ( 2 2 ) for a total of: 4
Scholar special ability on restoring Musad's Health score: * LawBot rolled d4 for Razeam and got 1

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013


Shodana

Emotionally drained she looks at her fallen jar, as she sees the liquid has spilled out along with most of the eggs she gets on her hands and knees “drat” she says quietly and begins picking up her eggs one by one putting them haphazardly back into to the pickle jar “drat drat drat drat!” she bends over the jar holding it tightly in her dirty hands and hiding her face from the group, she cries. She wipes her tears and stows her gear and follows Navid to the western door with an empty smile plastered on her lips.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2016 around 05:12

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Solemn Cells
Ambiance

Tempers and passions flare, a question of bravery, camaraderie and leadership measured in kind while what tender mercies may be rendered are offered to the injured. With torches guttering out fully, once the men and women of the delve have prepared themselves best as they are able, new lights prove necessary--crackling flames setting heat to billow once more as light flickers and shadows dance and sway.

Roused from resting in the relative silence of the fae-marked pool's chamber, the party proceeds westward instead, hoping for gentler fare. Removing the makeshift barricade, Shodana and Navid are among the first to take to the fore this time--though opportunity is given for Macit and Sister Reyhana to set keen eyes to task. In the adjoining space west of the pool chamber, a smaller hall is found, some thirty feet wide by forty long.

To either side of the center isle of stone, scuffed and marred, eight holding cells are spied behind rust-flecked bars of pitted iron rooted stoutly in floor and ceiling alike. In several of the cells, old dried bones lay crumpled together in roughly human arrangements.

Within one of the cells sits the slumped remains of a man bearing the attire of a soldier of Neth--though he seems to have been stripped of armament and armor. Beneath what armor he may have worn, his tunic is dark with dried blood, showing signs of numerous lacerations and gouges. Nothing of express value seems to be on the man's person upon further inspection--though he clutches in one hand a wrinkled scarlet ribbon fashioned of wool.

At the end of the short hall, a heavily bolstered wooden door sits reinforced with iron studs; this door features a heavy wooden bar to barricade it from the eastern side among the cells--with the bar presently set aside instead.

Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice

Through the unsecured door, once satisfied neither trap nor lock bars the way, torchlight reveals un-worked stone and cavern walls spanning out from the masonry of the chambers whence the party came. Over gravel, rocks and dusty earth spreads a span some sixty feet wide at its broadest--though after thirty feet, it terminates to an abrupt drop to a sheer cliff-like precipice to an abyss of unknown depth.

To the sides of the cavern prior to such--five coffins can be seen, the lid of one partially ajar. Of more immediate interest, however, is movement spied from the edge of torchlight across the chasm: another ledge protrudes from the abyss, fifteen feet away from the narrowest of spans, some twenty by twenty feet roughly in proportion. There, several barrels, a crate and a large chest can be seen--as well as a pile of cypher coins glinting faintly in flickering torchlight.

Standing on the 'island' among the darkness is a reptilian humanoid perhaps four feet in height, its largely bared, scaly hide a rich green hue with a yellow underbelly and eyes to match; the tip of its snout sports hard black scales, while black stripes mark its three foot tail intermittently. Though the creature is largely unclothed, several belts and leather straps have secured a sheathed blade and a quiver of arrows to its body, while bolas can be seen dangling at one flank.

Holding a short curved bow with an arrow nocked at a half-pull, the reptile looses a low hiss as it gazes back at you, eyes gleaming brightly from reflected torchlight.





Following the group's rest, you elected to head west. There, you discovered the remains of one of the members of a prior party sent down here. Proceeding further, you have arrived at a strange but doubtlessly perilous precipice with coffins stowed nearby--and an island with what appears to be at the very least a pile of cyphers, along with other stored goods.

Standing before you is a small lizardfolk individual who, as of yet, has not proven immediately hostile. Lizardfolk of various sorts, along with other 'beastly' races, are not unheard of in the Kingdoms of Dreams--but typically are not found living among most 'civilized' lands of Law. At a minimum, you are comfortably certain this is not a creature of the Nightmare Realm--but that's about all you can be certain of at this time.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

Briefly regarding the body of the adventurer she thinks "And then there were three."

Eyes still red she bows and smiles affectionately at the lizard and speaks in as soothing and gentle manner as she is able - (she tries to use whatever bits of beastmen language she might have picked up as a ruler close to the frontier) "Peace be upon you, o'scaled one. We are humble fated here to combat the forces of evil, are you perhaps in need of aid?" She slowly reaches into her pack and shows a length of rope to the lizardfolk. Her eyes dart between the lizardfolk and the coffins, attempting to direct some of the group's attention to the coffins, especially the one slightly ajar, and after dropping the rope on the ground she rests her sword on her shoulder in a readied, but non-hostile fashion.

Orders: lets be friend with the lizardperson
<mpb> !roll d20 # roll dat charisma
* LawBot rolled d20 for mpb and got 3
<mpb> !roll 2d6 # just in case!
* LawBot rolled 2d6 for mpb and got 9


C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2016 around 02:34

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

During their rest, the warrior simply assists in barricading the doors before he sits in a corner and tends to his own wound. The bleeding has stopped, yet the pain still persists slightly. He calls no attention to it though for it will hardly hinder his duty here. When this is done, he simply rests, eats and drinks.

When the argument ensues, he merely watches and lets it play out. Tensions are running high and it's only natural for soldiers to blow off steam in these situations. Only if blows are exchanged will he move in to stop it. Whilst he agrees with Reza, he does not lend his voice to the argument. Musad is thankfully alive, although in a shaky condition, and their enemies are thankfully not seeking to pursue them. What anger and frustration he feels for the foolish order is best served toward the Nightmares than his own allies.

Annoyed though he may be with her, even one so hardened as he cannot help but feel a pang of compassion for Shodana when the woman attempts to hide the flow of tears. However, she seems in no mood to be comforted, far from it, so he simply hefts his shield up once more and follows to the door when the order is given to move on once more.

The warrior marches behind silently, observing everything yet admiring nothing. When they pass the cells and come to the lake, he eyes the coffins warily before looking on in surprise at the appearance of the lizardman. With the creature's bow half-drawn, the warrior readies himself to rush forward and guard those in front with his shield at the slightest hint of the beast taking aim.

Re-rolled disposition and got 6.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She is quiet as they progress, mostly watching Musad with concern as they make their way. The sister stops over the fallen guardsman and looks him over, taking in his appearance and committing it to memory. She takes the red wool from his grip and tucks it away in her sack before moving on.

In the next room, she is truly puzzled. It is an alien place, but... the isle of stone in a chasm is especially odd. Eyeing the distance, she moistens her lips. It is possible to jump that distance, if necessary, she thinks. But it is the coffins and the lizard fellow that draws the most of her attention. Looking to Kasra, she nods after the bey's diplomatic overages, "Do you know tales of lizardman? Songs of salvation to soothe their scaly selves?"

As she speaks, she approaches one of the coffins warily - the one with the lid ajar - not wishing to be taken by surprise by the contents - especially given the skeletons that had already greeted them just over yonder.

Reyhana is going to eyeball them coffins. I rerolled and went from 5 disposition to 1. Go me.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

He listens closely to Navid, and nods at the end of the mediation. "I should have made sure we were all ready to move before I did," Rexa admits. "A mistake I am sure will not happen again."

---

Beyond that acknowledgment he too is silent for much of their next move - until, of course, they come across unexpected company. Reza keeps his sword in hand, but point-down and at-ease. And, pointedly, his attention is also not so much on the lizardfolk as it is on the coffins around them. The last thing they need right now is another ambush...

C:11 D:15 F:15 H:13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:0 SPD: 3

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


"We find a killed and looted man just outside and now we parley with the nearby scavenger... I bet the belongings of the departed are recently stored in that coffin. Or perhaps more beastkin are hiding there or under the precipice to ambush us? I will not lower my guard."
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She looks askance at the upright reptile and its almost nocked arrow. "I am indeed curious if this one is stuck on the precipice," Zarina wonders aloud as her gaze fathoms the nearby abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

Kasra smiles and replies to the Sister in a sidelong whisper, "I know few tales of lizardmen, though I can balladeer quite a lot of The Tails of Lizardmen; it's unfortunately a rather ribald sailor's song, and not like to earn us the endearment of this fellow. Especially if he's stowing adventurers in boxes and cages." He moves forward, and as he passes Navid he adds, "You're correct to be wary, but it's not unheard of for more bestial adventurers to survive the loss of a band and be mistaken for a creature of the Nightmare when the next comes courting. He may have even been tricked by a djinn or a fae; show someone a glittering hoard of treasure, but fail to mention the finer details of its geography."

The scoundrel sashays aside Shodana, still smirking. Gingerly, he leans backward, curling his back and showing his profile to the lizardman and rolling his shoulders in just the slightest way. He doesn't know much of lizardfolk or their customs, but had met many in drinking houses and jail-barrows over the years. Kasra had picked up instances of their body language, understood how they presented themselves to potential enemies and friends with subtle flashes of their scales or swishes of their tails. Lacking either, he rubs his chin to let the copper links, bangles, and medallions sewn into the sleeve of his coat catch the glimmers of torchlight, and swings the flow of his robe in gentle circles. "You seem quite out of sorts, suhulian. Our noble bey is right; do you need assistance?" He twists his foot awkwardly and grits at the mistake; flat feet was a lightly rude gesture, near as much as he could figure from watching the dragons nip at each other in the clay-yard.

[19:14] <tincanmademan> !roll 1d20+3 performing for an audience
[19:14] * LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for tincanmademan and got 7

C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 3 SPD: 8

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«13 »