Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
  • Post
  • Reply
MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana Khashayarsha

The Bey observes Kasra's performance, silently, but as he twists his foot she bursts out laughing, then cups her hand over her mouth to stifle her laughter "That was the general intent yes, but the whole performance was a bit... suggestive - and that last bit... Ah fortunately our friend over there will not mistake you for having a cloaca."

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

As the group rests, Macit takes the chance to chew on some hard bread in his pack. He's relieved to find that the smell of the place hasn't permeated it, the blandness a comforting counterpoint to the exotic horror he had witnessed. The group's fighting over leadership doesn't concern him, he'll go his own way no matter the orders. Not that he wants to lose any comrades in this place, the thought of being trapped here alone nags at the back of his mind. But he's kept himself alive all his life and that's not going to stop now.

---

As the group stares down the lizard person, Macit feels some sort of kinship with the scaly creature. He hardly questions why, he can imagine the way it happened: left by the group, confused and alone, unable to find a way out. Macit knows that he would have attacked anything that moved, and is amazed at the reptile's restraint. Kasra's performance is obviously foolish, but perhaps it's the right kind of foolishness to put the lizardman at ease.

Not rerolling disposition, sorry for the slow post!

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice
Ambiance

Shodana's words draw the lizard's bright gaze, pupils broadened before narrowing from the lap and dance of torchlight reflecting across the chasm. A long tongue flicks from the thing's scaled lips as its gaze flits towards the others who speak in turn--before attention falls to Kasra as the bard renders a most curiously dubious performance. Eyes narrow briefly, that large tail giving a twitch--before the reptile gives voice to a reply in a harshly accented branch of the trade tongue.

"Do not need help. I am here with purpose." A nod towards the bey's rope, clawed fingertips still clutching the bowstring warily. "I can climb. I can see." A nod towards the torches. "You? This is not a place for you." A snort. "There was a bridge here. It is gone now." Words echo faintly into the gloom of the abyss--those depths untold seeming to swallow up whatever torchlight wanders beyond the precipice of the ledge above.

Over yonder, Sister Reyhana makes her way warily towards the coffin ajar--searching eyes glimpsing what appears to be the ashen face of a young woman, her eyes closed, nestled within in repose. Red fabric seems bunched about beneath the figure in the coffin, while a single cypher rests against her throat.

From somewhere far below the precipice, a chill wind flows to sweep up and over both ledges--torches briefly guttering and waning before staving off the peculiar cold. Across the chasm, the lizard straightens, eyes widening slightly further; taking two steps, the short reptile cranes its neck to peer over its own precipice.

Drawing back, the lizard looks again to the adventurers with a wary gaze. "Did you wake the sleepers?"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



The middle-aged priestess

Shodana assumes a more sober demeanor and turns her attention back to the lizard "As far as I know we have not awakened anything, but who are these sleepers you speak of? Also what is your purpose here? We would not want to act at cross purposes with you." She motions at the group "As for us, we would not be in this place, but we are here to confront the nightmare that threatens our town, mayhaps you have seen the anchor which binds this place to this world or perhaps another band of humans who have ventured here before us? You may not need aid, but I have carried delicacies from my homeland within my pack that I would gladly trade with you for any information."

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2016 around 05:43

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad

"If he is not with the nightmares he's no enemy of ours this day." Musad said, then regretted it. The very vibrations of his voice, as well as every step, sent shockwaves of blinding pain through his head. He took a few moments to recover. "What purpose brings you to this damned place anyway, if not to end this damned corruption?"

C:8 D:8 F:13 H:2/12 I:12 W:12
AR:? DP:4 SPD: 6[/i]

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

The creature's voice is harsh, but not the snap of a bowstring, and for that Macit is grateful. How long has he been here? he thinks, becoming uneasy again. No creature of this world is suited to the nightmare, no matter their physical talents. But mad or not, having someone who knows the lay of the land might be a boon. He hopes that the sleepers are just the sentinels they found before and not some further horror.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice
Ambiance

With a snort, the lizard shakes its head, tongue flicking against the air. “This is their place, now. Before, maybe it was not. Was there a den here?” Again it shakes its head; some nuance may be lost to the clash of tongues, as it were—but the reptile speaks further nevertheless. “I come for what has value.” Yellow eyes gleam brightly.

“Anchor?” The lizard’s head cocks. “Through caves I have come. Many caves. Many caverns. I have seen this place, but differently.” Gesturing towards the ledge upon which the party stands—and the masonry behind them. Perking as Shodana makes mention of delicacies, the reptile straightens somewhat. “Sweet suppers, yes, yes. I would take what is succulent, sweet.” Again that tongue flicks.

“Others, yes, yes. Like you, but fewer. Weaker, stronger? I cannot say. Fewer, yes. Fewer now, than before.” The lizard snorts. “Wicked words, they spoke. Would have a meal of my flesh.” The lizard spits. “Some dead. The rest gone, off to be fools, deeper still. If you do not wake the sleepers, they will.” A pause. “Or they have all died. Who can say?”

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

The warrior lowers his guard a little now that the creature does not appear to be hostile toward them, at least not outright anyway. He still stays ready to leap into action though, wary of any beast they might encounter down here. "If you mean those eyeless creatures, then we have dispatched them. If not, what are these sleepers you speak of?" Still with his eyes on the lizard, he jerks his head in the direction of the coffins. "Did you put these people in here? Do you know who they are?"

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice

“Those? Appetite, teeth, how they wail and hunger.” The lizard shakes its head again. “Nasty creatures, yes, yes. But the sleepers, they are different. Fancy, pretty things they wear, covering their bodies. Quiet, very quiet—you will not hear them when they come. I have seen them, yes, yes—more than once in this place. Shikaj can be very quiet too. I did not wake them, when there were many.”

Flicking its tongue, the lizard—Shikaj, it would seem—bobs a nod with its head. “Venom of the valley, I have used; these arrows will slay any beast which bleeds.” A nod towards the nocked arrow—bowstring now less taut. “Before, I found one who had awakened. Twice it was stung, but it did not die when others must. This place changed as it walked—but Shikaj can be very clever too. Lured it, I did—to be trapped by this place while I am free. To be small is to fit well where others cannot.”

Gazing across to the coffins, Shikaj snorts again. "No, no, I did not. Shikaj does not bury man."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

Having been watching and listening with at best a detached sort of interest - perhaps more keen on ensuring they were not surprised yet again while they were conversing with the creature - Reza's attention snaps back. "That sounds quite different from anything else we have seen so far," he observes, stating the obvious. But it is the question that follows that concerns the champion the most - something the lizard had said that stuck in Reza's mind in the first place. "You say the place changed, friend - I ask, in what way?"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Bey

Shodana takes out a small cloth bag of lokum (turkish delight), a confection of gel, nuts, and sugar. She pops one into her mouth to show they are not poison. She exaggerates her happiness with the tasty candy "Mmm!". Then tosses the bag over to Shikaj. "Mouthfuls of delight." The Bey listens to Reza's question then issues one of her own. "You said you lured an awakened here, where is it now?". She looks around the room searching it with her eyes, ceiling and floor as well as the walls.


C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2016 around 21:33

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice

Shikaj relaxes the bowstring at last, holding the arrow in place gingerly before reaching to scoop up Shodana’s offering in its claws. Giving the parcel a light squeeze, the lizard tucks it into a pouch at its waist before peering from Shodana to Reza and back again. “Before, there was a bridge here. Paths led to a cavern, with a river which carried beneath the stone. Before, there was another place; there were stone men, with pretty hearts.” Tongue flicking, the reptile peers. “Another room, here; the stones shift and move and cages appear where they were not.”

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Matriarch of the Khashayarsha clan

Shodana bows to Shikaj "Excuse me I must confer with my brothers and sisters." She takes Navid aside and whispers to him "I have a feeling you will object to what I say next, but I do not want a show of disunity among us in front of any outsider to the band. I think we should hire this lizardfolk as a guide, whatever share of the treasure we give it will come out of my share, and if nothing else it is another fighter capable of surviving within the nightmare."

The Bey returns her focus to Shikaj "Oh cunning and powerful Shikaj. I propose we cooperate in finding treasure, you join our band, as guide. You are kingly in this realm when compared to us unworthy humans." She stands as straight as possible to emphasize her own considerable height "However, perhaps you can see the advantage of such large fellows hauling your treasure, and surely ten can bring back a greater haul than one. If you accept you will get an even share of the treasure and you will also have capable fighters assisting in reaching precious things that you would not be able to reach otherwise. We also have an expert trap finder and breaker in our party, she is likely the finest you'll find in the land" Shodana nods at Macit. "And we also have an expert on sigils and magic." She motions at at Zarina.

<mpb> !roll 1d20 # target 10 convince Shij to come with us
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 19
<mpb> !roll 2d6 # not clear if we've established common ground and I need to make a Persuasion roll
* LawBot rolled 2d6 for mpb and got 7


C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 13, 2016 around 09:12

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Wandering rooms, shifting hallways, wayward chambers," Kasra sneers from unfortunate clarity, "Some powerful dungeons are like creatures of the nightmare, themselves. They wriggle and squirm, shifting their organs from one configuration to the next. We must be war of every door we open from now on, lest it suddenly become the one which brought us to that damned arrow-wall." Kasra rubs his chin, "As for these 'sleepers'? Revenants and mummies, I'd expect: the restless dead. Some say the nightmare spawns them, though others posit that the anchor draws them in like dragonflies to the torch. Troublesome, regardless. Consider those skeletal sentries, and add a bit more festering flesh and conscious malice, and you're close to it."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

"Hmm… this protean effect the sleepers have on our surroundings is interesting," she murmurs, pausing to moisten her lips. She glances at the coffins and adds, "Our predecessors may be lost due to the shifting geometry. It would be a possible explanation for why they wouldn't return despite suffering casualties." The scholar begins to meander over to join the sister in examining the sepulchres.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She cheerfully offers, "We appreciate the maps none the less. They may still be useful." She frowns, still eyeing the body in the coffin, the open one. In her hand, she holds the red wool strip she'd retrieved from their last room. Showing it to the scholar, then gesturing to the red clothing of the body in the coffin, she furrows her brow, "I do not know what to make of this. It is disquieting, but is 'disquieting' enough for this place or must there be a hidden threat as well? I cannot say."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

Zarina scrutinises the fabric on hand and eyeballs its faraway counterpart with a sudden vivacity. "A cypher placed… a bed of scarlet… customs? But wounds… wool instead of… a different fate," she vocalises her thoughts in staccato. She moves her head from side to side and finally answers Reyhana, "My first impression is that it's a threat." After sparing a look at Shikaj, she continues to speak, "If we assume the red piece in your possession originates from the coffin, I believe the coin being undisturbed is unusual. He suffered a violent demise while clasping that fragment. Additionally, it is curious that our little treasure hunter either decided against taking the prize or hasn't been provided an opportunity." A pause. "But I shall ruminate on it, sister." The learned woman draws on her academic training to more thoroughly contemplate the information.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice

Shikaj seems to consider Shodana’s proposal, yellow eyes darting to flit over the faces of the other men and women assembled at the precipice. After a moment, the lizard bobs a nod, finally relaxing the nocked arrow to replace it in its quiver. “Yes, yes, this is agreed.” Rounding back, the short reptile gestures to the barrels and boxes about the island pillar in the abyss. “Heavy things, valuable things. Much to carry with soft hands.” Pacing back nearer to the edge of the precipice, Shikaj peers across it. “How will you fetch it?”

For the moment, the party has gained Shikaj as a somewhat unique 'hireling' of a sort; Shikaj will operate with wants / needs / morale, so far as you are aware.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana

Reluctant to carry the bulky baggage, which is all too likely a bunch of junk the creature has found, she nonetheless makes a suggestion to placate Shikaj "For immediately moving everything off that island we can use rope and pulley, however for the longer term I see two options here the first is you appraise whatever is inside, barrels, boxes, and chest, whatever is sufficiently unbulky we can transfer to packs or haul, however you must prioritize treasures you hold as being most valuable, while being light enough that we might still be able to fight enemies lurking here, if this what you choose it may or may not be practical to bring everything. The second option is this we secure more rooms so that we have a clear path, then we haul everything out with rope, pulley, and wooden slat. Choose what you prefer."

Shodana begins preparing rope so that people can move to and from the island easily without having to risk a jump. "Macit and Zarina, are both experts in appraising what is valuable & the art of hauling valuable bulky goods, they can likely assist you best Shikaj." She addresses everyone in the room "But before we begin moving anything what should be done about these coffins and their contents?"

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2016 around 01:30

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

The Bey puts on her court voice and diction again and Kasra interjects to help the poor lizardman navigate, "We've still a bit of a holy mission to complete, can't afford the extra weight just yet. Either you take what's light and shiny with us now, or we clear a path and drag the whole bunch."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Macit

As the bow finally lowers, Macit nods toward the creature. He steps forward when Shodana introduces him and eyes the pillar. "Kasra's right. We need to get what's easy to carry in case we need to get out of here quickly." He gestures toward Zarina, "You wouldn't happen to have a charm for flying would you? It would save us having to do this the hard way."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

The question snaps Zarina out of her reverie. "A flying charm? I'm afraid I lack such a useful item," she sighs, making a face at Macit. Her gaze shifts to the party in general and the scholar says, "I suggest we focus on gathering treasure and intelligence while our little friend lends us their expertise. As for the coffins, I am leery of their contents unless our guide says otherwise." She leans forward and tilts her head at Shikaj. "It's a mutually beneficial arrangement when we both gain wealth, after all."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

She closes her eyes and shrugs her shoulders, somberly noting, "What is wealth but sweat and bondage?" On a lighter note, she winks at the lizard fellow, across the gap, "But for a friend in need, I may have a hook and some rope. It is always good to be prepared." Fishing the pecularly fine silk rope and hook from her pack, she looks to the others, "If it will help."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

"More poor souls lost," he says looking over the coffins. "We should take them back to the surface once our goal is achieved, if we are able to do so."

He observes their new lizard friend over the gap. This one might prove a fine ally against the Nightmares. "It is good that we are assisting this creature and he us. No one should be left to fight this Nightmare alone." To the question of what to be done with the valuables, he shrugs. "Better to clear the foulness from this place before we think of gathering treasure, but if you all think it best to carry some with us for now then I will assist." Nodding to Reyhana, he too shows a length of rope from his pack. "I too have rope to be of use, but I feel we should use our strength and time to fight rather than haul heavy valuables that might wait until our mission is completed."

He shrugs in his armour and turns back to watch the corridor behind them for approaching enemies. "Whatever you decide, I shall help how I can. Let us decide quickly though, for there are Nightmares still waiting to be put to the sword."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - The Precipice

Shikaj bobs several nods at Sister Reyhana. “Yes, yes, cast the line, I will gather.” Already the lizard turns to rummage after slinging its bow. Stooping low, the short reptile shifts aside the lid to a container and digs claws against its contents, the clinking of cyphers and other small objects faintly apparent over the chasm. From the opposite side of the precipice, the party can see Shikaj stuff several handfuls of objects into a bag before hoisting it over one shoulder, cinching it in place against a leather band.

Gathering up Sister Reyhana’s tossed line then, Shikaj secures the rope—and makes a swift, dexterous crossing to the other side. Shikaj straightens; tongue flicking against the air, the small lizard folk’s gaze darts among the many markedly larger men and women about the vicinity—reaching then to slop the bag down at Kasra’s feet, the mouth of it opening to send a scattering of cyphers, small gemstones and even a ring to spill partway out.

Making a curious point to shore up to its full height, Shikaj pronounces with a thick accent: “Shares, yes, yes; you are big and will carry. Protect Shikaj, and I will share this protection.” Among cursory glances of the contents, it is clear to keener eyes that some of the lizard’s proffered prize are more than mere mundane trinkets.

Shikaj has crossed the gap and brought the party a parcel of prizes along the way. As you have a Scholar in attendance as well as a Bard, you’re able upon sorting through the articles to discover that some of your new prizes are magical in nature.

Here’s what you’ve been given:
    * 198 cyphers in ordinary coinage
    * Several cut gemstones (a chalcedony worth 30 cyphers, two chrysoberyl worth 90 cyphers apiece, and a red garnet worth 100 cyphers)
    * Five unworked gemstones (roughly cut rubies with purplish-red colouration shot through with veins of orange; worth 35 cyphers apiece, or 175 cyphers in total.)
    * A tied rawhide strip with smooth polished wooden beads in a simple loop, stained to show wood grain—a set of worry beads. (valued at 1 cypher.)
    * A metal flask embossed with an emblem of a large tree, filled with fragrant whiskey. (30 cypher value)
    * A dented copper ring with a barely legible emblem of a pair of crossed daggers (valued at 45 cyphers)
    * A pair of ivory dice in a velvet purse (valued at 50 cyphers)
    * A bronze jug fashioned to look like an elephant’s head with its curled trunk as the handle (valued at 20 cyphers)
    * A magical wooden ring with a strange protrusion—Ring of Tinders which can spark small flames when struck against a rough surface, allowing for far quicker lighting of torches and other flammables than a traditional flint and tinder (valued at 36 cyphers.)
    * A magical spice jar, two inches in diameter and four inches high, with a metal cap screwed down on the top of it. Small organic matter kept in the jar remains fresh indefinitely. Presently, the jar contains ground tumeric; though magical, the jar is no more durable than its ordinary glass equivalent. (valued at 100 cyphers.)
    * A magical golden ring with a thick, heavy band etched with intricate symbols of vigilance—Ring of Vigor; while worn, this ring provides the wearer +1 to their Disposition per character level. The initial wearer receives this benefit immediately, but thereafter it takes 48 hours for a new wearer to begin receiving this benefit. (Valued at 2000 cyphers.)
    * A complete magical formulae of Featherlight (valued at 100 cyphers)
    * A synecdoche of Acid Spray (valued at 150 cyphers)
Total treasure value 3215 cyphers.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

"This wooden ring acts as a more convenient flint and tinder while its golden counterpart protects its wearer. As for the jar, it preserves perishables for an eternity," she relays her findings for each mystical treasure. She examines the documents detailing spells and states, "A magical formula renders its target nearly weightless. Hmm… other is an abbreviated version that sprays a vitriolic substance." Zarina furrows her brow and harrumphs! "The latter is annoyingly complicated to add to my repertoire."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



worrying mother

Shodana retains her accustomed smile throughout, she is however slightly surprised Navid has not shot the lizard long before now. She gives him a thoughtful glance - perhaps I have misjudged this one. The Bey is also surprised Reza has not cut down the lizard - so much for beasts being an affront to all built by the hands and minds of those with reason, you hypocritical fraud. She gives the lizard two quick kisses on the sides its cheeks "You are very much welcome to our band Shikaj. As we march you will be most protected in the middle of our formation." and where if try to stab us in the backs you will perish first she thinks coldly.

-----------------
While sorting the goods:

As they comb through the goods and Zarina talks about the acid spray spell, she takes a look at it herself "Ah yes, it is complex, but also shorter than a true-master formulae, good for a single use and not much else. You should hold onto it and the other formulae."

"That ring which restores vim and vigor should go to brother Musad, he is the most badly injured and requires it the most" She said though she badly wanted that ring for herself, she was tired and deeply miserable. That cursed cowardly, Reza and his smirking self-righteous smile - hypocrite! Bastard! He is just like that smug Sultan, condemning me to death by nightmare, exiling me from my home. With that thought her eyes sadden and she shuts them. Oh, Bilay... Ballam. I miss your touch and your voices. I want to go home and have you all around me. We shall sit under the oak upon the hill and listen to the cicadas play to the fading sun. She opens her eyes and then stares hard into abyss' sightless depths. Slowly she turns her gaze away and moves on.

-------------------
After sorting the goods:
She addresses the group "So now to the southern portal from the fae-pool. If none object, with our usual marching order?"

-------------------
Just before they leave the room:

Before they leave the room she clasps her hands and bows her head slightly and says a silent pray to the god of maggots over the body of the fallen adventurer. She was glad she had confronted the adventurers earlier on about their customs for burial. By their inaction, it was clear they favored expediency over all - they held no real respect for the dead. So all the bodies they would find all those that they slew would belong her god, as its servitors feasted on their earthly remains so too would her god feast on the souls of these divine worshippers. It was a small consolation in this prolonged execution.

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2016 around 23:01

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Until our esteemed guest says otherwise, all of this belongs to Suhulian Shikaj," an abbreviated bow towards the lizardman, "It is his to lend and to apportion. We're not brigands, after all." Kasra smiles at Shikaj, eyeing the lizardman's sizable haul and giving names to some of the more arcane finds as Zarina identifies them. "A Ring of Tinders, or a Tinderring, as it's called in Geth. I once spent an evening with a stunning Northern Blonde," he runs his fingers through his hair and puffs his chest for emphasis, "who called these jars Forever Flasks, but her brother - equally stunning - named them Pouch-Larders. The vigor ring has as many titles as there are lands where adventurers tread, so I shan't bore you with them. Much the same with the spells. The one for lightfulness I know, and learned as Sahim's Soft Slippers. The synecdoche's spell's names often allude to dragons, manticores, and other such spitting beasts. Like it's namesake, the conjuration is deadly and difficult to contend with in tight spaces."

Kasra takes what loot he can carry into his pouch, eyeing the flask and sniffing the heady brown liquor inside with a smile before recorking it. The dice are admired but, when found to be quite evenly weighed and lacking in magical charm, wrapped and stuffed into his bag with little more interest.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at Dec 15, 2016 around 00:58

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Chapel Approach
Ambiance

Having divvied up findings and gathered among their ranks a reptilian accompaniment, the party returned through the sordid cells and far-marked pool chamber, leaving the precipice in their wake for now. Heading south, the heavy iron door is leveraged aside with a screech of creaky hinges that echoes throughout the area sharply enough to draw Shikaj to cringe.

Beyond, a hall spans southward not altogether dissimilar to that in which the silent sentinels had been encountered: smooth, aged tiles form a central path twenty feet wide and forty five feet long, though each appears more heavily weathered and worse for wear than those before the sentinels prior.

To either side of the path, ten feet of dusty soil and un-worked stone can be seen, with numerous larger rocks and quarry stones scattered about—as though at one point one may have deigned to further bolster the masonry here. At the end of the hall, another pair of sizable stone doors can be glimpsed etched with a bas relief of innumerable skulls, as if befitting a mausoleum. Unlike the doors beyond the silent sentinels, however—these have already been opened.

Sanctum of Slaughter - Chapel of Khanaj

It is then as the fated men and women advance that the party very clearly catches glimpse of light emanating from torches not among their own—and carrying them, figures garbed in robes festooned with heavy chains, their heads hidden behind sewn burlap masks. Immediately, it is clear that the robed individuals were well aware of the party’s approach—having armed themselves with blade and bow!

Standing at the far end of what appears to be a chapel devoted to some vile god of old is a man of hideously corpulent and grotesque proportions who looses a horrendous fit of gleeful giggling upon sight of the party. “Fresh offerings!” He declares with a pitched squeal—before taking a sizable bite of a gnawed-upon severed arm he waggles about in his hand.





Initiative results: Macit 11, Shodana 5, Kasra 6, Navid 4, Jad 6, Musad 10, Reyhana 12, Zarina 11, Reza 9. Shikaj is Speed 8, the Cultists are Speed 7, the jolly cannibal-looking fellow is speed 6.

Cultists with right-facing portraits are armed with bows. The rest have various blades.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sister Reyhana

All the loot is watched with a wistful eye. Everything she carries is worth less than almost any piece in that pile, and so much good could be done with but a handful. It is maybe lost upon the others. If they made it out, maybe she would have some of that wealth. The Abbess's voice comes to her. The wealth would be a temporary respite, a salve that only soothes the corruption that causes such want and need, while others lived in grandeur that some could merely dream of.

She watches the distressed Shodana thoughtfully, and picks up the beads from the pile of loot and hands them off to the noblewoman as she passes by, "You seem like you need them more than I."

~

Reyhana grips her hatchet, eyes fixating further ahead. Wordlessly, she extinguishes her torch. The skeletons had been unnatural creatures, with great perception. But these... these seemed closer to men, or at least mortal things and all their failings. And they had a leader.

I kind of want to see if I can make a stealth roll to slip through the doorway. But I want to ask Gaist what sort of modifiers/penalty I'd be taking before I commit to some obviously laughably bad attempt. Once I ask, I'll come up with what to do.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

She glares at the grotesquely ripe man. The dagger wielding woman stammers to her warrior cohorts, "I—I shall follow your l—lead! T—Their garments will yield to even my b—blade."

Holding my action to move (and possibly attack a cultist) until after all our front line fighters act.

tin can made man
Apr 12, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis


Kasra

"Friends of your's, Shikaj?" Kasra rears on his heels and pulls the throwing knife in one hand, still lingering in the rear. "Charge and bar them at the doors, or fall backward and let them funnel into us," the bard suggests quickly, "Whatever we do, let's not sashay into their chapel, methinks. Cannibalism and idolatry make a poor tonic for properly faithful folks such as we." He holds the dagger between his fingers, ready to let it fly at the first cultist to get into his view.

Holding an attack, maybe
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 6 SPD: 8

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007



Jad

Humans. Or something close to it. But they are foes all the same and just as grotesque as the monsters they have faced thus far. "They shall fall as easily as the eyeless beasts!" he shouts to the others. "Fear them not, but grant them a quick death for they have surely been corrupted by this unnatural place!" The hooded figures move faster than he has time to react, so before he can hope to block them by the doors he will have to slash out at the first who come to greet them.

*Seeing as I go after these guys, Jad will simply slash at the first one to get close enough. If for some reason they do not move, Jad will move to block one of the doorways.*

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1 (Attack)
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 16
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 2d8 (Damage)
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 12

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?


Navid settles into stance, but is unsure where to strike at these corrupted humans.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18
(9:42:06 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(9:42:07 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 6

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013



Shodana

“Thank you, Reyhana.” Shodana says quietly, but apparently with genuine affection. Gingerly she takes the beads and she begins moving the beads through the loop formed by the string one by one. After a moment she returns the beads to Reyhana. “But I am not here for pillage.”


"I will hold the mob at bay!" she shouts. Sneering at the cultists she raises her head. Shodana stands tall with chin upturned looking down on them, she begins to chant. “O yeeh wi*click*cked may thou be smote…” And so on. The chant went on and on. The incantation was pure bullshit, but it had been established long ago by her ancestors to convince the Lawful that it was simply some strange branch of the enchantment or law schools of magic. The inability of wizards and scholars to replicate it was attributed partially due to the oddities of the local dialect of Citadel and partially due to the relative disinterest of scholars towards a simple garrison town on the fringes of Neth.

The traditional dialect of used in Citadel while recognizably derived from the same linguistic tree as standard Gethian, used archaic and bizarre phrasing at times and there were strange changes in tone and pitch of certain words and an odd click of the tongue which they added seemingly at random. In truth almost all in Citadel spoke standard Gethian, but the dialect was preserved as a way of local traders feigning incomprehension or fast talking outsiders to get better deals and as the ritual language for the priesthood of the nameless god.

The Bey was expert enough on spellcraft to know the skill with which her forebears had crafted this ruse. That in truth invoking the power of her god required no hand gestures no elaborate mantra, it simply required focus. Still she had always been hesitant in using this rebuke of man. As the invocation takes place, bystanders feel a faint wave of unwholesomeness - like whispers of incest or the images from a trypophobe’s nightmare: like a thousand-asymmetrical holes on a corpse each with a tooth-like maggot head bobbing up and down undulating back and forth with each tiny breath. For her companions, the feeling quickly fades and is replaced by a tingling by the ear-lobe by something lithe and slimy - something that hungrily wants to get in. Yet a gentle, but firm hand seems to quickly yank these invaders away. Then the warmth of the hand seems to ward away these things. These sensations too fade quickly from her companions minds, but her victims still feel the presence of these tendrils reaching hungrily for them


<mpb> !roll 2d6+2 #abjuration
* LawBot rolled 2d6+2 for mpb and got 7


C:10 D:9 F:16 H:14 I:11 W:16
AR:15 DP:2 SPD: 7

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at Dec 17, 2016 around 23:10

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad

Musad hesitated, not charging forward. Part of him cursed himself a coward. Did he not seek to fight to the death here? Why was he hesitating now. But death is sometimes like a girl at the harvest festival. When the cups are full and she is far off, she is tempting, yet sometimes, when faced up close, she is not quite as appealing as she was earlier. And painful as life might be, one wants to keep it, and burneded as the heart might be, it wishes to keep beating. And so Musad held and waited at the back, waiting to have an enemy distracted by his companions, before he'd go in.

Going to delay till after the enemies, then come in and try to get a swing in after they went. Don't want to risk being the target for an attack

C:8 D:8 F:13 H:2/12 I:12 W:12
AR:? DP:4 SPD: 6[/i]

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

Not quite beasts, this time - but men with beastly, wicked souls. Abominations before the Law all the same, and destined for an end commensurate with their sins. We will all have to see to that personally, thinks Reza, silent, jaw set, eyes ablaze even in the dim light, and blade gripped in both hands ready for its intended use as an instrument of war. This time they might just have the advantage, and he would see it pressed while they could.

"At the doors," he says sternly, less a command than a statement of intent as he advances to begin the grim work ahead. Not even strange, unnatural assaults on the senses slow his steps. At the threshold he takes aim at the nearest cultist, a quick step-feint leading to a point-first jab that doesn't quite do the job.

[15:24] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[15:24] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 7


C:11 D:15 F:15 H:13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:3 SPD: 8

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Sanctum of Slaughter - Chapel of Khanaj
Ambiance

It would seem parley is the furthest from the intentions of the sinful congregation in the chapel ahead. With the growing clamor as carnage leers, Sister Reyhana seeks stealthy entrance into the chapel—but upon sight of cultists surging forward as Reza moves to meet them at the doorway, the assassin vanishes among the shadows behind broader boulders and bides her time.

Reza is met by bawdy shouts, his own blade missing its mark as a pair of cultists beleaguer and batter him back; the blows of the first he ducks and maneuvers aside, but the second cultist catches the man beneath his armor, cutting against his belly in a stinging wound with a curved, wicked blade; encrusted in some vile substance, Reza can feel pangs of dizzying ache—but overcomes such as his mettle proves to be forged of sterner stuff.

Macit stands frozen in a momentary daze, uncertain of action to take in the face of what were, perhaps, human foes—and as Zarina and Musad hold back, an arrow whizzes free from Shikaj’s bow—striking in the torso of one of the first cultists to barrel his way past Reza. Three more cultists rush into the corridor, the first making an overbearing swing at Jad—before the fighting man delivers a harsh and decisive chop of his sizable blade that fells the robed man in a single blow. Another of the sinful cretins seeks purchase against Navid—the pair maneuvering around one another’s swings with fervor as neither finds purchase.

With the lizard’s arrow still protruding from his chest, the fore of the cultists shouts wildly as he swings at Shodana, missing the woman; he is joined by another screaming madman, the holes in his mask black and indistinct—the cultist’s curved blade thudding against Shodana’s heavier armor as it manages to spare her both injury and rattled temperament. From within the chapel, two arrows sail through the doorway, both seeking their mark with Shodana in kind; one deflects from the pauldron at her shoulder while the other zips wide.

Rushing ahead, Zarina thrust her knife at the robed man before her—but her blade found only fabric, not flesh; without delay Kasra danced nimbly past the scholar, driving his throwing knife squarely into the injured man as rich blood surged free, a gurgled gasp signaling a punctured lung as the man collapsed before him.

From within the darkened recess of the foul chapel, the corpulent monstrous man muttered dark intonations then—before the flesh of his outstretched palm bubbled open, a trio of grotesque maggot flies darting through the air towards Shodana; the burrowing horrors claw and gnaw about the woman’s jaw, drawing blood as they try to worm their way beneath her flesh—before a ripple of wild magic turns the insects to so much ash just as swiftly, much to the friar’s surprise.

Blood dripping against her cuirass, Shodana intones the potent thrum of her abjuration—rousing force enough to give the remaining cultists a primordial cause for pause—and leaving her fellows an opportune opening as the morale of their vile foes seems suddenly to waver.

Reyhana attempted to stealth into the chapel, but a tenable opening was not available; her stealth became a held action instead. Zarina and Musad delayed pending enemy action; Macit was MIA and despite waiting, did not materialize, so I proceeded without him at this time. Reza advanced, but missed his blow. Shikaj fired and struck a cultist for 4; the cultist resisted the arrow’s venom. Cultists all acted on initiative 7.

Two cultists advanced on Shodana, though neither managed to injure her; her armor ate one of the better blows. A cultist advanced on Jad and missed; another advanced on Navid but missed. Two engaged, Reza, one missing narrowly, the other hitting him for 6 damage; after 3 disposition, 3 remaining damage punched through to his Health, with the hit location lower body. Reza rolled against and successfully resisted the disease rider on the cultist’s attack.

In the chapel, the two ranged cultists fired at Shodana; one missed her, the other hit her armor without harm.

Jad’s initiative resolved simultaneously with the Filth Friar; he struck the cultist in front of him and cut the man down on the spot. In turn, the Filth Friar fired a burrowing maggot flies at Shodana (variation of magic missile); he failed to control the magic, and received the wild result of ‘spell works as normal, but additional random spell affects target.’ Of all the odds, he rolled Cure Disease for the secondary spell, which saved Shodana from the disease rider on his modified missiles. Nevertheless, he dealt a total of 5 damage to Shodana, minus 2 disposition, leading to 3 penetrating to Health, hit location Head -> Jaw.

Navid swung but missed his cultist this round. I rolled on behalf of Musad, but he missed a cultist. Zarina attempted to stab a cultist, but just barely missed. Kasra engaged the arrow-struck cultist and knifed him, finishing him.


Map prior to Shodana’s initiative.

Shodana abjured, driving cultists back. I rolled on behalf of Sister Reyhana after presuming she’d taken an opportunity to sneak attack and kill one of the cultists in the panic afterward. Remaining cultists are in theory about to be driven back into the chapel—but the majority of the party has beaten them on initiative for round 2.


Map after Shodana’s initiative.

Initiative results: Macit 6, Shodana 10, Kasra 2, Navid 8, Jad 9, Musad 9, Reyhana 8, Zarina 11, Reza 7. Shikaj is Speed 8, the Cultists are Speed 7, the jolly cannibal-looking fellow is speed 6.

Cultists with right-facing portraits are armed with bows. The rest have various blades. Filth Friar is now very clearly packing magic and is very likely above your party’s level.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Zarina

Zarina clenches her teeth as she repeats her erroneous strike on another cultist!

Attacking the nearby cultist on the left: * LawBot rolled d20 for Razeam and got 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad

Three cultists down, but their own blood is flowing. Musad breathes heavily as he looks at the position. The cultists forming a line that would require anyone fighting them to put themselves within sight of the door. But because of the magics of the bey, they seemed to suddenly waver. It was all the encouragement he needed, and with a hoarse cry, Musad charged. He might find that he did not wish to be dead, yet he was no coward. He brought the polearm down into a downward diagonal slash, finding purchase in the cultist's neck, letting the blade bury deep before withdrawing it to let the meat fall to the ground. "Not... done yet..." he said, the pounding of his blood causing stabs of pain in his head, and his reduced vision to grow red around the edges.

Charging the northern most cultist currently beset by the three in the north-west of the map. Rolling
<Shogeton> !roll 1d20+2
* @LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shogeton and got 17
<Shogeton> Probably a hit
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 16
I took the liberty of assuming I killed it. Will edit if this somehow ends up not the case. Also, Gaist, did you take into account I still damage even on a miss?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«15 »