Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra

"Is there any creature as pitiable, as repugnant, as the heretic?" Kasra demands to be heard, his voice bellowing against the stone walls, bouncing and battering on the sound of roars and steel. The bard pulls his gore-soaked dagger out, keeping it raised high defensively as he twists and repositions himself behind Zarina and Navid. "And among the heretic, is there any as revolting as those who forswear themselves to the nightmare? These wretches are beyond our help, I fear, I fear. May the Divine judge their weakness, just as it emboldens our strengths!"

Spending 3 disposition, giving three to reza, two to shodana, and one to reyhana
C: 17 D: 11 F: 10 H: 9 I: 12 W: 9
AR: 13 DP: 3 SPD: 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shodana

As maggots rapidly crawled through her jaw, ripping apart skin, fat, and muscle, their chitinous yet soft epicuticle brushing against the wounds they created, she could not help but reflect on the familiarity yet strangeness of the sensation. Rites of her god had called for the infliction of fly strike upon oneself, but it was usually upon wounds that had already been formed and the maggots never devoured flesh so fast - usually they did not devour the living flesh at all unless the wrong species of fly was used. A slight wandering of the mind against a backdrop of white hot pain. Likely as not that friar is a servitor of my god, though from a different sect. It mattered not to her whether they killed each other. The god of maggots did not hold its human servitors in high esteem.

Having weathered blows from half of the cultists, her nerves rattled her body screamed at her to seek cover, to move to the corner that Reyhana had vacated and have thick walls shield her from the spells and arrows of her enemies, but with Kasra's words she found some inner resolve, from the way which the words projected and reverberated through the room though the content of those words was irksome to her. She held her ground and she remembered why she was here and reflected If I continue chanting they will probably cut me down... So be it. I am here to die for my kin... But I will not simply lay down and let them exsanguinate me Interrupting her chant, but not her all important focus on the abjuration she blurts out, blood flying from torn jaw as she does so "Shijack, interrupt the fat-bastard's spell weaving, shoot him!" Resuming her chant louder now each word spoken in defiance, with each syllable a jolt of pain shot through her ripped jaw, she raises her shield and begins banging on its boss with the flat of her blade, challenging her enemies to come at her.

Orders: Continue to abjure. Move to make sure that the melee fighters surrounding Reza will flee

<mpb> !roll 1d20+1 # disabled jaw
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for mpb and got 6
should be a 7 I messed up the roll, but the jaw isn't disabled

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:11/14 I:11 W:16
AR:16 DP:2 SPD: 7 (forgot to change armor from 15 to 16 she has had her shield out since she left the fae pool added in the 2 disposition given by Kasra)

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 22, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sister Reyhana

Picking her spots as prudent, she looks for an opening - but her patience wears thin. Two of the heathens have closed on Reza and... though it puts her in the open, she has to take that chance. Stepping over the body of the cultist she'd just felled, she raises her hatchet, face twisting in determination, and buries it into the fellow's back over, and over, and over.

Hacking up one of the guys attacking Reza!!
* LawBot rolled 2d8+1 for ambivalent and got 12
C: 8 D: 14 F: 13 H: 9 I: 10 W: 12
AR: 13 DP: 2 SPD: 8

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

The first hooded figure to meet his blade falls easily enough. A well struck blow sends the man down to the floor unceremoniously. It seems his allies are faring just as well from a glance, with more of the cultists falling to their blades. Keeping the momentum going, he strikes out at the next nearest cultist.

Hitting whichever cultist nearest to me that is still standing.

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1 (Attack)
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 2
<A_Velociraptor> woof!
#Damage still done on a miss, thankfully!#
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d8 (Damage)
* LawBot rolled 1d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 4

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Navid growls at the subhuman before him, parrying it and forcing it away. The abjuration makes it turn its back, but he has a more important target to kill–that "This corpulent spellcaster could stand to be deflated..." he hisses, drawing his bow and shooting while strafing to the least obstructed channel.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:10/14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:9 SPD:8 ENC:1/14/18
(10:27:22 AM) slydingdoor: gonna try to shoot the mage
(10:27:47 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+2
(10:27:48 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for slydingdoor and got 20
(10:27:55 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12
(10:27:56 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12 for slydingdoor and got 4

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

They're on him now. Not exactly unexpected. Holding the doorway had been a more futile exercise than Reza had expected - there hadn't been time enough to get enough bodies in the way before the cultists' charge began. And yet their position is now a strong one, and even if he can quite clearly feel the bite where the cultists' blade had been, his strength and will are buoyed by the bard.

"They are beyond anyone's help now," Reza says through gritted teeth, shifting his feet and his guard to better cover his wound. "It is written that those that forsake, shall themselves be forsaken. Thus they can be repaid only in this coin." He punctuates the last word with a quick, measured cut at one of the cultists before him. Not as strong a blow as he'd have liked; perhaps he'd checked his swing too early given his wound. But certainly enough, he could hope, to keep both cultists focused on him; and not, for example, on anyone creeping up on them from the opposite side to cut their backs open.

[12:29] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[12:30] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 21
[12:30] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d10+1
[12:30] * LawBot rolled 1d10+1 for FractionJackson and got 4

C:11 D:15 F:15 H:10/13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:3 SPD: 8

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Sanctum of Slaughter - Chapel of Khanaj
Ambiance

Chaos continues to unfold on the approach to the wicked chapel as screams and shouts fill the air midst the slaughter of masked men. Zarina is gripped by adrenaline as she thrusts her blade once more, only to miss her mark; as the masked man turns towards her with a baleful, bloodshot gaze—the scholar is spared as Musad lunges forth at her behest, stepping over a corpse and cutting down the cultist with a decisive strike of his blade that hews the foul fellow’s head from his shoulders in a gory crunch of cracking vertebrae.

Momentum carries Musad’s weapon through to a second cultist nearby, slashing across the man’s chest and drawing a short-lived cry before Jad steps forth to end the man just as swiftly. Freed from the melee, Navid maneuvers past the din to draw his bow and loose a swift shaft towards the fat friar beyond the portal to the chapel. Navid’s arrow sinks against pustule-ridden flesh with a squelch, drawing the foul man’s grotesque grin to become a mask of anger as he gurgles an alien curse.

Shodana’s rebuke, however, continues to resonate—and the cultists who remain beyond the chapel begin to hasten for a retreat. Reza Sister Reyhana dances nimbly from the shadows to bury her hatchet into the head of a broken-spirited wretch with a sickening crack, while Reza slashes after the back of another robed man as his morale breaks and he flees. Shikaj looses another arrow, this time towards the rotund friar—but the shot fails to connect with his corpulent flesh.

It is then that the foul friar lurches forward with alarming alacrity, a horrible cavernous gurgle roiling up in his rotund guts; before Reza, Reyhana and Shodana can react, the monstrous man looses an explosive rush of vomited acid in a spray, the trio failing to avert the gruesome expulsion in time. Sizzling, stinging, cloying—Sister Reyhana’s armor sloughs away in a bubbling slurry from her body as melted chunks splatter against the dusty floor, while clinging acid swirls over top of Reza’s armor, melting knives and pitting pockmarks against the leather as his flesh beneath burns painfully. Ahead, Shodana’s fanciful garments wilt and melt apart, while hearts begin to race.

In a further surge of chaotic energies, the trio feel a swelling of desperation in their bellies—against so dangerous a foe, they could scarcely afford to hesitate a moment longer.

Initiative results: Macit 4, Shodana 5, Kasra 6, Navid 10, Jad 2, Musad 11, Reyhana 4, Zarina 12, Reza 10. Shikaj is Speed 8, the Cultists are Speed 7, the Filth Friar is Speed 6.

Zarina attacked a cultist, but missed. Shodana continued her abjuration, which has broken the morale of the remaining cultists in the melee and forced them to flee recklessly rather than achieve any attacks this round. Musad attacked, stepping over a corpse and completely obliterating the cultist Zarina tried to stab; I had forgotten his damage on a miss previously and applied it retroactively as spillover to the next nearest cultist by Reza—rolled 2 damage. Jad struck a light blow to that same cultist for 4 damage, and coupled with Musad this killed him.

Navid fired on the filth friar for 4 damage via archery. As the cultists made to retreat, Reyhana killed the remaining cultist that was fighting Reza. Shikaj missed an arrow with an 8. Reza struck a fleeing cultist for 4 as they began withdrawing from the abjuration. Macit is MIA and skipped. Cultist archers fired on Shodana with no effect.

Filth Friar advanced and vomited a spray of acid onto Reza, Reyhana and Shodana; all three failed their save vs. 1/2th their Dexterity, as Friar is higher level using higher level magic. Friar dealt 3 damage to Reza’s health directly, as he did not have disposition at the time of damage. 1 damage was dealt to Reyhana, which did not overcome her disposition. 2 damage vs. Shodana this round burned off her disposition and left her health exposed.

Friar’s vomit attack was a gross variant of Acid Spray, which has ongoing damage; in addition to the damage dealt, each round it ruins a piece of equipment based on its damage roll. Reyhana’s armor was destroyed, Shodana’s clothing was destroyed, Reza’s result was a random other piece of equipment, which skewed somewhat awkwardly into throwing knives. Given that his damage was against his chest in-fiction, I figured his armor looks rough and the knives melted, leaving him not having a very good day.

On a slightly positive note, Filth Friar miscast, with result of original spell as intended + additional spell, which came up as Inspiration. Reza, Reyhana and Shodana can elect to re-roll his disposition as a result of the miscast.

Kasra healed party members at the bottom of the round, which applies his disposition bonus on top of the results of whatever his included targets may have re-rolled (up to max disposition.)

Cultists with right-facing portraits are armed with bows. The rest have various blades and broken morale. Filth Friar is very clearly packing magic and is very likely above your party’s level. I forgot to mark the icon, but the Friar was hit for 4 so far.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid's eyes narrow as the friar approaches to unleash its magic on his allies, strapping his bow over his bare chest and advancing, hand on sword. He runs up the wall nearby to avoid stepping on the vomit, draws his blade and delivers a spinning slash at the corpulent cultist, hissing with exertion. Without slowing or stopping, he turns sharply and completes a full circuit back to where he stood seconds ago.
[i(11:03:17 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20+3
(11:03:18 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 23
(11:03:35 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12+2
(11:03:35 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12+2 for slydingdoor and got 8[/i]

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shodana

The Bey’s attention is split between the arrows whizzing overhead, channeling the power of her deity, and the impressive material display of her allies in dispatching the enemies ahead of her. So distracted is the Bey she barely registers the gurgling of the fat friar before his putrescent expulsion is upon her. Even though the acid does not directly hit her flesh, enough of the substance has gotten on her that its caustic vapor seems to have caused the thin underclothes she wears under her armor to melt into a brownish sludge. Wooziness gives way to rage as the prospect that harm could have been done to her family’s armour fills her mind. Generations upon generations of Khashayarsha had worn the coleopteran armor. This iridescent armor was the birthright of her daughter and those that would follow her. Whatever happened to the Bey herself was less important than that legacy. The bey drops her chant. “Cut down the fat one!” she bellows and charges. Upon coming upon her first opponent, she feints briefly with her sword then she slams the edge of shield into an exposed joint.

Orders: Avoid walking in the acid (not sure if it is persistent on the ground or not) and hit nearest living enemy - preferably the fat friar if he is still alive.

<mpb> !1d6 #disposition re-roll
<mpb> !roll 1d6 #disposition re-roll
* LawBot rolled 1d6 for mpb and got 4
<mpb> !roll 1d20 #stop abjuration hit nearest enemy
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 18
<mpb> !roll 1d6+1 #damage, shield + b sword
* LawBot rolled 1d6+1 for mpb and got 4

C:10 D:9 F:16 H:11/14 I:11 W:16
AR:16 DP:4 SPD: 7 (Diposition re-rolled from 0 to 4)

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sister Reyhana

She cringes and turns in a flourish, quickly slipping free from the corroding leather armor passed to her by the guard, passing her hatchet deftly from one hand to the next. It is unfortunate - that armor had not been hers to ruin. She would endeavour to make it up to the man who had granted her the boon.

Shucking the armor clean, she flips her axe and takes a step back - the threat is clear. This bloated sorceror has to be dealt with. Reyhana draws her arm back and hurls the hatchet for the hefty haruspex.

Taking a step back (out of the goo) and throwing my hatchet at the friar.
Re-rolled disposition is 3. New Armor Rating is 11
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for ambivalent and got 13
* LawBot rolled 1d8+1 for ambivalent and got 3
Likely not enough to hit!
AR: 11 DP: 3 SPD: 8

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

Another foe felled, yet their gruesome blob of an enemy is proving just as vile with his attacks as he is with his appearance.

Pulling his blade free from the dead cultist, the warrior eyes the battlefield for the best way to strike at their enemies.

Phone posting so unable to roll. Sorry!
I'll attempt to strike at the big one at close range if it's possible to avoid the vomit. If not, I'll try to hit the next nearest enemy or simply hang back until i can hit something!

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra

"Mind the archers!" Kasra shouts as arrows whizz past and through their party. The putrid hulk was the clear leader, and their first priority, but the bard isn't keen on the idea of them massing too closely and becoming a tempting arrow target, "Slash and move! Don't let the monster overwhelm you, and don't allow the cultists to flank!" From behind a boulder, Coriander leans out and whips his throwing knife towards the corpulent mass of filth.

[10:15] * @LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for tincanmademan and got 9
AR: 13 DP: 3 SPD: 8

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 28, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

The stinging pain of the caustic burst leaves Reza gritting his teeth in pain, tensing so as not to cry out. No matter. The as-yet useless knives were now effectively half-stuck to his armor - and, he was sure, some had leaked underneath. No matter. The enemy's spell had betrayed it - the Divine had renewed the strength of his limbs even as the Nightmare sought to sear the flesh from them.

With something close to a snarl, he strides forth, moving just outside the lingering spray of acid, or at least trying to - face to face with its creator. He swings. Mostly at air.

[18:04] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d8 disp
[18:04] * LawBot rolled 1d8 for FractionJackson and got 5
[18:11] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[18:11] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 5

C:11 D:15 F:15 H:7/13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:8 SPD: 8

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina

She stifles a squeak when the cultist turns his ire towards her! After Musad dispatches the potential threat, she smiles at her rescuer. The scholar then moves into cover as she squints at the robed archers.

Only moving!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad

Satisfied with the amount of violence dealt out in this fight, Musad moves out of range of the archers. Considering how he still felt a hair away from death's door, he didn't think he should tempt fate further than he already had. But if one of the others would go down, he would quickly move to drag them out of the acid, and out of sight, so they could be treated. He didn't want to lose more people to this Darkness.

Gonna be standing by, considering there are only so many people who can get to him, and Musad is still one good hit away from death.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Ambiance

Hastily, Zarina seeks out cover as the chaotic melee continues to unfold with wicked fervor. Maneuvering swiftly, Navid kips off from the stone underfoot to ascend the wall beyond with his carried momentum, whirling with a perfectly devastating slash of his blade as the berserker darts back and away from the grotesque friar; the blow would have been severe enough to strike down most men, of this Navid is certain—but the repulsive friar only cackles, bulging eyes wild as great gouts of pus gurgle free from the wound rent against his gruesome flesh.

From the rear, Shikaj nocks and looses another arrow, the shaft whizzing past its mark as the little lizard endeavors to avoid hitting newfound allies in the fray; from the grim recesses of the vile chapel, two more arrows fly free, one skirting and deflecting away from Shodana’s exquisite armor ineffectually while the other whizzes past Reza's head. With the woman’s rebuking ceased, however—and the friar himself sallied forth, the panicked cultists within the chapel rally back into the fray as the rotund monstrosity bellows. “Back at it, cut them down! Together we will feast!” He howls; stirred, the robed men loose inarticulate shouts as they shoulder their way back into the corridor.

Reza swings at one of the men, but as he struggles with the acid still sizzling as rope sloughs away about his flesh, he fails to find his mark; the cultist cackles madly, swinging witheringly at the champion and driving his mettle to be tested once more—before a yawp from Jad is paired with a decisive series of strikes that lay the masked man low in a bloody heap, the stones below slick with gore.

In tandem, Shodana is assailed by the other madman as he bobs and weaves, swiping at her with a wickedly curved blade as the woman’s heart pounds in her chest, driven nearer to the brink. Wading past the bubbling bile and billowing foulness, the friar bellows a gusty cackle before slashing out at Shodana in kind, his cruel blade skipping over the woman’s armor as she narrowly avoids the brunt of the blow.

As adrenaline pours through her system, Shodana looses her shout and levels her own assault against the monstrous man—managing to cut several gashes in his corpulent flesh as he quakes and cackles wildly, acid sending fresh stinging pain through her body as her own rope melts and falls away in ruinous chunks. Musad, though badly injured, maneuvers to join Shodana’s flank to waylay her assailant, striking out and delivering a sharp blow to the surviving cultist beside her.

Taking an opening swiftly, Kasra hurls his knife at the friar—only to watch the blade disappear into his voluminous flesh with barely more than a small gash in its wake. Sister Reyhana lobs her hatchet in kind, the wedged blade catching against the flank of the enormous man with little apparent effect—while the acid still clinging from eating through her armor makes short work of the clothing beneath such, leaving the assassin very nearly naked as she seeks out cover from the chaos.

Initiative results: Shodana 11, Kasra 8, Navid 9, Jad 6, Musad 6, Reyhana 7, Zarina 5, Reza 6; Shikaj is speed 8, Cultists 7, Filth Friar 6.

Zarina moved into cover. Musad held fast, being badly injured already.

Navid advanced and made a solid attack on the Filth Friar for 8 damage; rolling damage with advantage, I re-rolled on slydingdoor’s behalf and got a 12 total instead. For an aside, it was brought up on IRC that natural 20 results were not particularly more ‘exciting’ than 10+ results, as TNU doesn’t have critical hits per se.

I had some discussion with the game’s author, and he noted one suggestion as rolling with advantage, but cautioned that (much like in most natural-20-crit setups) player characters are liable to be on the receiving end of punishment a lot more from this. I’ll roll with it as it stands for now, but I’m open for discussion from folks and what you would enjoy more collectively.

Shikaj shot another arrow, but missed. Cultist archers fired arrows at Shodana and Reza, but both missed. With the abjuration halted, the two remaining melee cultists rallied with the filth friar and burst into the corridor with a fervor, both rolling quite well, which helped them in jockeying the positioning involved. Reza missed one of the passing cultists. One struck Shodana for 3 damage, which did not penetrate her disposition, but took it to 1. The other attacked Reza for 3 damage, which reduced his disposition to 5.

Kasra resolved simultaneously with the Filth Friar, hurling a thrown dagger at the big fellow for 1 damage. Filth Friar waddled up and swung at Shodana, but missed her. Ongoing acid damage dealt 3 to Reza, reducing his disposition to 2 and destroying his rope; acid damage dealt 3 to Shodana, which rolled over past her 1 remaining disposition and dealt 2 more directly to her health, while also destroying her rope as well.

Acid damage dealt 2 to Sister Reyhana, which also destroyed her clothes; fortunately for Reyhana, she found cover quickly. Sister Reyhana threw her weapon for 2 damage (ferocity modifier is only added to close combat attacks for damage.) Shodana struck the Filth Friar for another 4 damage. Total of 19 damage dealt to the Friar so far.

Rolled on behalf of Raptor’s phone posting for Jad, scoring a hit for 10 damage, slaying a cultist. Though Musad did not have reach to intervene on a cultist, I reasoned that his delay would allow him a chance to swing nearer to the end of the round to engage the remaining cultist.

We’re coming up on a month with no word from Permotriassic; unless this changes shortly, I’m going to have to presume that they’ve dropped from the game. For the time being, I have removed Macit from initiative and the map, reasoning that in-fiction he had taken the last few rounds to subtly withdraw from what has transpired.

Cultists with right-facing portraits are armed with bows. The rest have various blades and broken morale. Filth Friar is very clearly packing magic and is very likely above your party’s level.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 6, 2017

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

"Fear me," Navid rasps after darting behind the friar and slashing at his neck like an executioner. Then he continues past the fat man, using the corpse of a cultist to avoid stepping in the acid, and preparing to parry any parting blow he might make. The archers firing uncontested behind the pews are the next focus of the berserker's ire, he glares at them past the edge of his sword to let them know without a word that they are next.
(10:57:32 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d20+3 for slydingdoor and got 20
(10:57:43 AM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d12+2
(10:57:44 AM) ***LawBot rolled 1d12+2 for slydingdoor and got 13
(10:57:47 AM) slydingdoor: ayy

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shodana

Cutting deep into the mass of flesh of the friar, she hoped this would be enough to bring the freak down, but she was convinced it would be given Navid's own mighty strike. Her jaw still a mass of pain from the Friar's earlier strike against her and now feeling her flesh burn as the acid seeped through her armor she wanted this fight to be over. None of her men had fallen yet, but they were in bad shape. Hoping that death of their massive leader would break the will of the already shaky remaining cultists, she resumes her stance after her strike and shouts "Surrender now and you will be spared! You cannot win, more than half your number are already slain and your leader has fallen!" Never corner a rabid rat.

Orders:If fat friar is still alive hit him, else hit nearest living enemy - attempt to intimidate mooks into surrendering
<mpb> !roll 1d20+2 lvl #if friar still alive hit the friar else move and hit nearest living enemy
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for mpb and got 17
<mpb> !roll #1d6+1 #damage
<LawBot> !roll [rolls] [Dice Equation] <Table>  xdy rolls x dice size y.  e denotes an exploding dice (Max value rerolled). xey.
<mpb> !roll 1d6+1 #damage
* LawBot rolled 1d6+1 for mpb and got 5

Not sure if you can attack then try to intimidate
<mpb> !roll 2d6+1 #intimidate
* LawBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 4

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:9/14 I:11 W:16
AR:16 DP:0 SPD: 7

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina

"Why am I the lesser spellcaster?" Zarina whines under her breath and pouts at the pool of acid. She chews on her bottom lip while peeking from behind cover at their desperate melee.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra

The wretched's bile had lingered, misting the floors and eating away at anyone within its fumes. "Kill him this instant, or retreat!" a steely roar bellows from Kasra's lungs, "Show a foe that you can obliterate him on the grounds of his choosing, or otherwise fight not on them at all!" Still leaning against the stone, he reaches for the knife at his belt and holds his arm protectively aside Zarina while shouting towards the melee. "Bey Shodana! The beast is slow and corpulent! Cut him as you would toughened meat - slowly and powerfully!"

Spending one DP to give Shodana two
AR: 13 DP: 2 SPD: 8

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad

While he was not sure if Kasra's words were intended for him, Musad definitely heard them, and any restraint that his closeness to death might give him was discarded. With a guttural cry, he stepped forward toward the closest enemy, be that the cultist in front of him, or the abominable friar a bit furhter should the cultist be dead or fled by that time, and delivered a vicious overhanded strike.

<Shogeton> !roll 1d20+2
* @LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shogeton and got 18
<Shogeton> Probably a hit on whatever
<A_Velociraptor> Decisive strike
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 15

Attacking the guy next to me, if he's still there, otherwise, moving for the Friar

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

And yet another falls to his strikes, cut low by the force of his blade. But the fat man still remains standing and that must change now. Witnessing Musad charge their foes despite his injuries insures his vigor remains, so he frees his blade from the corpse at his feet and joins the man in his wild cry. "Strike true, brother! Make them feel your pain!"

Decisively stepping over his recently felled opponent, the warrior brings his blade to bear down on the horrifically corpulent man that continues to insult their party by still drawing breath.

#Moving to hit the Friar.#
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20+1 (Attack)
* LawBot rolled 1d20+1 for A_Velociraptor and got 14
#Guessing this is good enough for a hit#
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 2d8 (Damage)
* LawBot rolled 2d8 for A_Velociraptor and got 9

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

He doesn't expect an offer of quarter to be accepted - likely not by the cultists. Almost certainly not by the big one. And of course, staying close enough to fell them presented its own set of problems. The acid seems to splash with a mind of its own, the rope gone, now. It doesn't seem, to Reza, to act in accordance with any usual law of nature, but this was the Nightmare, and Reason had been left above with the sun. "Mind the floor," he cautions to the others now surrounding the Friar. "Strike quick, and watch your feet!"

[13:27] <FractionJackson> !roll 1d20+2
[13:27] * LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for FractionJackson and got 10
Assuming a miss. If the Friar is already down, assume that Reza moves S to harass the archers.

C:11 D:15 F:15 H:7/13 I:11 W:14
AR:13 DP:2 SPD: 8

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sister Reyhana

She bites and tears at a leather tie that fastens her armor and shakes it clear, trying to avoid any of the bile or whatever hateful substance the friar had spewed upon her. Shedding the armor, she crouches down and lifts a spear dropped by the downed cultist, hefting the weapon experimentally.

Removing the corroding armor, which actually only loses me one armor rating because ~Assassin~. Also scrounging for a weapon from a fallen enemy, since I threw my hatchet last round. Pretty sure that's all my actions for the round!
AR: 11 DP: 3 SPD: 8

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Ambiance

Shodana lashes out against the corpulent friar, further opening the grotesque man’s form as he gurgles and growls, eyes wild and bulbous; opening a maw of wicked teeth, the filthy wretch wheezes forth a foul proclamation. “Your sins weigh heavily, you too will join the final feast! All of you will—“ The man’s wild words are cut short as Navid darts with furious fervor, his blade finding bountiful purchase against the bloated horror’s body—and rupturing a gushing wave of copious pus, bile and blood to spill forth about the boots and ankles of those before him; the friar’s fetid form collapses in on itself, scarcely a gluttonous shell in which countless fat maggots writhe free from their hollow unhallowed housing.

Rallying, Kasra’s words cut through the distracting din to rouse further vigor within Shodana’s chest—as another arrow sails past the woman from behind as Shikaj catches one of the bowmen in the thigh with a howl of pain. As the last dregs of disintegrating sizzling garments slough away from Sister Reyhana’s bared form, the assassin scrounges a wicked sickle from the dead hands of a cultist below, narrowly avoiding scurrying maggots as large as her palm. Belatedly, Sister Reyhana hears a dull clank as the grappling hook falls free from her rope, melting away into pitted nothingness as the acid continues to burn against her for a few final moments of pain. After prolonged bubbling as sizzling, Shodana finds her weapon pitted and ruined by the blasphemous fat man's acids, pain still resonating through her senses.

Staggered by the demise of the friar, the robed cultist before Musad turns toward the man in stunned disbelief before the wounded warrior cuts him down with a measured blow, crumpled dead to the floor—where plump maggots gleefully begin to scurry to overtake his corpse. “We have been forsaken!” Cries one of the bowmen beneath his hood, while the other hisses wickedly at his faltering, wounded fellow; surging through the gap and treading into the vile chapel, Reza and Jad march forth—before the latter fighting man dispatches the last of the foolhardy cultists. Sizzling, stinging, the clinging acids eat away at Reza's clothing before the painful assault elapses.

Alone, with an arrow protruding from his thigh, the final remaining cultist discards his own bow with a wooden clatter, raising dirty palms to bare at the haggard fighting men before him. At last, the fighting seems to have ceased for now—while wriggling maggots begin to clamber over the many corpses left in its wake.

Shodana struck the Friar for 5, taking him to 24 damage. Navid then struck the friar for a whopping 13, taking him to 37—and slaying him spectacularly. Kasra bestowed Shodana with 2 disposition with his bardic ability, Shikaj fired and hit for 3.

Reyhana sought a fresh weapon while the remaining cultists failed their morale check, as they are now considered to be at a disadvantage with the powerful factor of the Filth Friar lost.

Musad struck down the remaining cultist to the north, Jad was able to cut down one of the archers upon headed south. Final round of the acid spray dealt 2 more damage to Reza and destroying his clothing, 4 to Shodana while destroying her weapon, and 3 to Reyhana, destroying her grappling hook. While the mental image of the acid leaping to and fro is silly, presumably the idea is that the targets were generally doused and the random results were simply which articles finally gave way each round as it continued to burn.

Reza proceeded south as Zarina observed from safety; the final cultist has surrendered.

Combat has concluded!

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina

She tiptoes out from cover before scanning the battlefield with both hands on her hips. "I suggest we remove their hoods to facilitate our interrogation. And… hmm," she trails off into silence as her lips purse at their would-be prisoner's crippling injury.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid starts scavenging clothes for the naked, and replaces his own slashed shirt. He also pokes through the maggots in search of anything the friar might have been hiding in his robes. "Bows are good for wounded warriors. Get something accomplished without getting yourself killed..."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

Musad backs away and the weapon, still covered in blood, turns back into a walking stick as he leans heavily on it. His one good eye is removed from Sister Reyhana, and focuses on the surrendering cultist instead, careful to avoid all the maggots as they wriggle and writhe. He looks down at the man, one eye tired, both with the long lasting fatigue of the heart, and the more short lived, but more acutely felt fatigue of the body. The other eye hidden and red. Neither of them seemed to hold much mercy or kindness for the cultist. His foot moved the bow out of the man's reach.

"Your prisoner, Shodana. Do you have a use for him?" The hold on the walking stick shifted, and all of a sudden it was a weapon again. But a heart's beat away from having the cultist join his fellows in rot and decay if he moved. "Is he even a man? Or just some monster that looks more like a man than the others here?"
"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shodana

With the last cultist surrendering, she cleans off the remaining acid from her body using rags torn from a dead cultist.There is none of the giddiness she displayed in her last battle, just a tired grimness and pain.She tosses her useless sword away. An old sword, but not irreplaceable unlike this. She gently taps her armor testing its integrity. Then the bey walks hurriedly over to the remaining cultist and yanks the arrow out and then applies pressure to the wounded thigh. “Our lizard friend’s arrows are poisoned. Removing it quickly should give you a little more time. If you answer my questions quickly and truthfully and we’ll hand you the antidote. If you do not answer your death will be agonizing.” Antidotes to poisons are as often as not fairy tales, but this one need not know this, though I do not know if Shikaj poisoned all of his arrows. “ Tell us what lies in the chambers beyond this one. Where is the anchor to this place? How many more of your friends still remain and what are their capabilities? Who recruited you to this cult - who are your leaders? What deity does your cult worship?”

<mpb> !roll 2d6+1 #intimidate ferocity
* LawBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 10

C:10 D:9 F:15 H:7/14 I:11 W:16
AR:16 DP:0 SPD: 7

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra

"Men have been known to venture into the depths and lose themselves to the very powers they crusaded against," Kasra shrugs almost casually as he helps Navid and Musad scavenge and move the corpses, careful not to ruin the bottom of his boots with one of the corpulent maggots scurrying about. He kicks one towards a wall with a disapproving sneer. "Likely we've found some of our missing adventurers and townsfolk. If our Bey can get some knowledge from the survivor, we'll be blessed. But there's not much else to help the wretch other than a blade - hot and sharp if you're kind, jagged and rusty if you're cruel."

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 10, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sister Reyhana

Far more naked than she'd prefer, the sister scoffs and cuts a fleeing maggot with the salvaged sickle, ire rising enough to test even her patience. Red rash spots her stomach where the acid had lingered too long. Wincing, she dabs a clean scrap of cloth torn from her attire with fresh water from her flask and pats the afflicted areas, attempting a modest effort at sanitation. The sister is in little mood to be grateful for their victory, salvaging her hatchet from the ground and belting the sickle just in case. Picking up the grappling hook, she wobbles the corroded silk rope in front of her, and sighs, lamenting the loss of what was probably the most expensive thing she owns.

The sister crosses her arms and eyes the rest of the room warily, content to let the noblewoman conduct her interrogation. Looking down to Shikaj, she pries a little, "These... men. Do you know of them?"

Reyhana is down to 0 disposition. Which is what happens when you roll 3 or under on all your d8 disposition rolls!

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 10, 2017

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra

The bard ostentatiously covers his eyes with one hand and glances away as the pious sister tends to her nudity. "It is a sin against the Divine to ogle a holy woman, you know. Gentles, avert your gazes." He flips over one of the maggot-encrusted bodies with a thump of his boot.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

Slashing down one of the last foes, he turns his fearsome gaze on the one left standing but lowers his blade as the cultist drops his. Panting out the adrenaline, the warrior cleans his blade and averts his eyes from the unclothed whilst they regain themselves. "A deadly fight," he comments, looking over the large maggots crawling over the corpses. "Well fought," he adds simply with a stout nod.

As the Bey questions their new prisoner, the warrior helps with scavenging what weapons and items of clothing he can from the bodies. The larger of maggots crawling about are quickly dispatched with his sword with a grimace on his face. "Gruesome creatures..."

He keeps clear of the friar though, not willing to damage his much needed weapons and armour on what corrosive liquid still remains about the body. "Be sure to watch yourself with that one's acid," he mentions to Navid. "He may still be just as deadly in death."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sister Reyhana

In spite of the locale, she manages a laugh amidst the morbid and grotesque, shaking her head at Kasra, offering a dry, sarcastic graciousness, "My modesty thanks you." She manages a rueful shake of her head, "A saber's wit worth ten sabers. In your considerable experience, are there many wardrobes along these paths?"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Shodana

As her party members willfully destroyed the creatures of her God Shodana seethed. It was one thing to destroy the servitors when faced with life or death and another to pointlessly smash them when they were of no threat. Momentarily she turned away from her interrogation. The already tired and pain addled Bey snaps slightly. Coldly over her shoulder she says "Reyhana, Jad can you please stop torturing those animals like sadistic children. They seek only to live. It is distracting." Remembering how strange this sounds she adds with affected warmth and her habitual smile made more menacing by the gash in her jaw "Besides I doubt they are of any threat on their own, but by toying with them you may contract some disease." She pauses a moment "Here I return the prudent advice you gave me earlier at the pool Sister."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sister Reyhana

It's guarded, but one might sense the iron and heat rise up in Reyhana's mood. Her jovial chatter with Kasra dries up a little and she regards the bey with a queer look. "They are vermin at best, and envoys of a demon and it's supplicants at worst. But if you insist." She relents, not willing to make a debate of this. To the bard, she shrugs, "One finds compassion in the strangest of places." And in a hushed voice, she confides, "One wonders if the people of her lands enjoy such sunny regard." This remark carries a notable edge.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad

He halts and turns to the Bey with a quirked eyebrow. "Torture? I am giving them a swift end, which is as much as these creatures can hope for in a place such as this." Seeing Reyhana relent, he too does the same to avoid another of the Bey's unwanted outbursts. Orders are orders, after all... "Have it your way then." He sheaths his sword and continues about his work.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Shodana

Trying to make amends and with an even tone she exclaims "Not all creatures that are found within the confines of the nightmare are servants to demons. Look at our comrade Shikaj. If I had believed that all that we might happen upon in this place were evil we would have cut down our comrade before exchanging words. Shijack did not attempt to do us harm and neither do these creatures and it is evil to harm without cause." She pauses a moment "We all return to the earth one day and if it were not for such creatures we would not have a soil, merely stacks and stacks of putrid bodies as far as the eye can see. They have their purpose as willed by the divine just as we do."

Overhearing bits of the conversation with Kasra, she says quietly and sadly almost to herself "I have always tried to do the best for my people. I never wanted any harm to come to my kinsfolk, but I acted too late."

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 10, 2017

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Scrounging among the deceased, Reza, Shodana and Sister Reyhana are able to find a number of robes and linen garments among the corpses—though most have been bloodied considerably, damaged or otherwise soiled. Still, it is an opportunity to glean coverings for want of better options to spare.

Making his way to the crumpled remnants of what had been the friar’s form, Navid prods to reveal even more of the bulbous maggots wriggling around whence his innards had been—but among the grisly remains, reveals a heavy golden amulet carved with a grinning maw and hung from a length of thick iron chain. As well, the friar wore a pouch at his hip in which a sizable collection of knuckle bones and teeth are discovered.

Shikaj looks to Sister Reyhana, eyes bright in the flickering torchlight as the lizard’s tongue darts against the area. “Cruel, strange men.” Scaled snout crinkling slightly, the lizard’s head shakes. “Always seeking meat.”

Unmasked, the remaining cultist appears to be a sallow-skinned man with sunken eyes and a patchy beard, his complexion blotchy—and beading with sweat as he wavers on his feet. Whetting parched lips, the man looses a sharp cry as the arrow is removed, brackish blackened blood beginning to ooze and run from the wound as he clutches at it.

“The Devourer.” He rasps hurriedly, shaking. “Only with—only that which can—can free us all from the shackles of this false land.” A small rivulet of blood begins to trail from his nostril and tear duct. “Death is no release. Don’t you see? We are all damned to this… this charade.” Shaking his head in an effort to clear it, the man groans. “Anchor? Ha…” He cracks a manic grin, his gums beginning to bleed. “Layers upon… layers. Deeper.”

Cultist does not seem to be faring well from Shikaj’s arrow. He appears to be devout to a rather familiar ancillary sect to Shodana. The amulet seems substantial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The golden amulet gets drenched with water and rubbed with a cleaner part of cultist linen before Navid throws it to Shodana. "Spellcasters, what do you make of this? It's owner was powerful..."

• Locked thread