Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Why does a man throw himself into a life of horror and pain?

Does he do it because it is the only way to survive? Such was not Musad's reason. His clan might be gone, but the Desert people frequently intermarried, and he could have found another clan to adopt him.

Does he do it out of duty, righteousness and kindness? Such was not Musad's way. He was not unkind or cruel, but when he fought, not once did he think of the people he saved.

Does he do it out of anger and vengeance? Now, one was closer. For it was true, that anger burned in the man's heart, far more than greed, far more than kindness. He sought out the nightmares with great zeal. But such was not the extend of his anger. It is part of the reason, but only a part. The full measure encompasses more. One should look at the other anger.

Not the anger at his chief who led his clan into its demise. For while Musad didn't often visit him where he was kept, enough of the coin made its way to the nuns who kept him there that he could live in relative comfort for one whose mind was gone.

Not the anger at the keepers of the Law who had told his chief to forego superstitions. For while Musad had bitterness in his eyes when he looked at the compass he wore, he yet used it, and still by and large respected the Law.

The anger Musad held towards himself. Now there you will find the other half of the explanation. For the Nightmares had wiped out his clan, yet Musad had fled. And while no court would condemn a man, especially one that had managed to save another, no court under the sun can be as harsh as a man's own heart. And no scholar or bey, no priest or emir, no Sultan or Prophet can over turn its judgement. And so even in victory, true joy would be denied to unhappy Musad. For only half the guilty party would find punishment. And his heart, with cruelty that would be damning should it be unleashed on his fellow man, did echo the desperate screams of his kin when a moment of silence would be had. And where the light of day had failed to let him see those closest to him fall, imagination was an eager accomplice in delivering the self-imposed penance.

Indeed, one might say that if not for his burning hatred for the shadows, might he not have taken up the roll as executioner rather than judge. But Nightmares still endured, and thus, so must he.

And thus, when the noble had spoken to him, and told him that there was vengeance to be had. He had simply, with curtness bordering on disrespect to one so elevator toward him, asked where they should meet. And when he arrived, his face was grim, his eyes looking around. "I'm here." He stated simply. "I'm Musad Sundown." He looked around. "Are we all gathered here to kill nightmares?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad sits down, though the wine is refused. To drink it would dull the pain, and he might start to become dependent on it. Over the years he'd seen men who had sought comfort for misery in the spirits, and many of them would soon find themselves drowning in drink and misery both.

He remained silent for a while. It had been some time since he had sought out companionship. Never had the man been a man of great charm, yet the look in his eyes did disinvite those who sought to offer him solace. Even now, part of him rejected the idea of finding these companions. New people to let down, an evil thought said. Already replacing your old friends. Whispered another. Yet their ill council was not heeded, for his hatred of the Nigthmares demanded he strike them in their very rotten hearts, rather than hope to track down a desperate escapee here and there.

He did listen to the Bey's declaration, and thought on it, then spoke. "If I might ask, Bey. If we put aside 'prejudice of class', does that mean you are not in command when we go down there?" Again, the question was somewhat blunt, and the man's language was rough, clearly not used to some of the finer language used.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

He didn't match her gaze for long at that remark, lowering his eyes. Perhaps the last of the Sunset Chasers might match her blade for blade in a fair contest, but when it came to a social contest, one who has survived the ruthlessness of court politics had him helpless as a child. A strike straight at the bleeding wound. "I wasn't suggesting anyone, least of all myself. Just wanted to get the question out there so we know whose lead to follow." he said defensively.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

"I agree. If we charge, we need to charge together. If we retreat, we need to retreat together. If everyone decides for themselves who they will follow or if they perhaps should be a leader, we'll get split apart and killed. Not just the weak. Everyone. I'm not saying we should consider ourselves subject, or that that person has absolute rule over us. But when we go in battle, we need one person we all know makes the call."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

Musad accepts the armor without much comment or thanks, but put it on anyway. Better than nothing. When the bey mentions the book, he briefly speaks as well. "If I die, and one of you passes by Neth, there is a sanitarium there. Take my part of any reward, and deliver it for a patient there named Malik, and tell them it's the last contribution.'

At the Bey's words, he scowled a bit. "I better not be denied my share of slain nightmares. I did not come here to watch others kill them." Once inside, he briefly runs his arm over the edge of the blade, drawing blood. "There. Unlucky to try to through a battle unblooded. It's tempting fate."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

"Oh for sand's sake. I'm sure the bey didn't mean whatever the hell you think she meant, Navid. We're about to go fight nightmares, not at court somewhere. We need to focus on killing these damned things, not on snapping at each other because of some hurt pride. And see how you're now also trying to give orders? Can you imagine how much fun that's going to be in the middle of battles with two people shouting orders? THAT'S why you don't 'let a leader arise naturally', you pick one up front, by lots if needed. I'd rather have one foolish commander giving clear instructions, than two geniuses shouting conflicting commands. She spoke up. She's in charge. If she does badly and we live, we'll pick another one next time."

The battle approaching made the desert-folk fighter's blood run hotter, and he clenched his polearm eagerly. Today, some measure would be repaid.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

Musad gazes around the place, gritting his teeth as he looked around, holding position near the fire pit from where he had all three doors within relatively easy reach. "I almost wish they'd show themselves. I'm ready to kill." He peers around. "And let's try to make sure we bring anyone back we can. Dead or alive."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

Musad's scowl deepens as the creatures emerge. "Come on then, creatures. Try your luck against those who are not helpless. See what it gets you." He growled hatefully at them, holding position, trusting in those behind him, and gazing from one of the pits to the others, his polearm held in readiness. The first of the ever hungry nightmares to come within its arc, would find the polearm would strike with the swiftness of the desert wind, and with the same absolute lack of mercy as well.

Holding my action, but figuring one of these critters is going to decide to charge me, and I have the range on them
<Shogeton> !roll d20+2
* @LawBot rolled d20+2 for Shogeton and got 17
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 12

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

"Die, filthy creature, die, die die!" Musad shouted as he roughly moved his blade aside, causing the spasming critter to fly off his blade and land in a little heap on the floor, moving his blade up in a ready position to receive the next one. "You want some too, piece of filth? Come and get it! Come get the last of the Sundown Chasers if you think you have spine for it, you miserable little dog!" He cried out, his calls not the pure rage of the berserker, as one might erroneously think him the berserker of the company. No, the insults were not called out of rage, for rage needs no words. They were that mix of hate and spite and vengeance. A cocktail that might prevent the heart from drowning in sorrow and guilt, yet toxic in its own way. But who knows, given his life and calling, perhaps it would not matter how deep he drank from this drought.

Will hold my action, expecting the new critter to charge Musad again.
<Shogeton> !roll 1d20+2
* @LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shogeton and got 18
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 10

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

Holding his position against the bleeding little critter, Musad used the blunt side of his weapon to push him back some distance, taking advantadge of his disorientation to deliver an overhand strike that split the creature's skull and sent it sinking to the ground like a marionette whose wires were cut.

Attack roll was 12, damage roll was 8, was already wounded so it killed, but still gets to strike Musad on its turn

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

The creature falls, and none come to replace it. Given a moment's reprieve, the former caravan guard looks either side. Much more on the side of the hallway, but a lot of them standing there already. Best perhaps to finish up on this side, then go and finish them off. Moving carefully so not to slip on the gore-slick stones, he moves towards it, bringing his weapon to bear upon it.

Move to attack the mauler on the right hand side, if he's already dead, go for the left hand side. Since I'm late in the initaitive, hard to say which creatures will be alive on my turn, so feel free to decide.
<Shoge-work> !roll 1d20+2
* LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shoge-work and got 16
<Shoge-work> !roll 2d10+2
* LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shoge-work and got 12

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

With the last of the enemies in his immediate vicinity dispatched, Musad takes two breaths as he looks around to make sure his side is done. "Take care of Jad," he says to the sister, as he runs at his relatively limited top speed towards the final melee, noticing that a few on that side too were hard pressed.

Move towards the remaining battle.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

"Should we continue to move so carefully?" He looks grim at the broken shield. "There's people there that might need our help. I'd hate to leave someone in these things hands any longer than possible."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

"'If you are thirsty and there is an oasis, drink. You never know how long before the next one.'" Musad considers, looking at the water. "But I'm not be thirsty enough to risk drinking anything in this place, looking clean or not. Especially with those writings around it."Carefully he looked of any trace of those who went before.

Looking for any traces of the previous group. Dexterity 8
<Shogeton> !roll 1d20
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for Shogeton and got 5

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 4, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

Musad stood, hesitating for a moment as these were entirely different than a bunch of vermin. These looked like trained soldiers. But then, the order came, and Musad's own words earlier made pride demand he'd follow, the bard's words ignored, as was Reza's advice. A charge was commanded, a charge would be started. Hatred for the Nightmares and guilt conspired to drown out fear and caution, and though he was not the fastest, he'd charge forward, eagerly leading the charge, if others would wait for someone else to charge first.

""I'll break their line then! Come on, creatures. I've not yet had my fill destroying you!"

Well, this might be a bad call, but considering the way I've plaeyd Musad, feel like he's got to do this. Charging the closest

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

Musad slowly opened one eye and looked up at several people looking up. "Ngh.... well, I'm not dead, so I suppose we won?" He said somewhat groggiy, then winced in pain as even that movement caused sharps pang of agony to course through his body. A hand rose reflexively towards his eye, only to likely be interrupted. "Ugh... this.... hurts bad."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

"I'll be fine." Musad said, the pain in his voice the tell-tale mark of a lie. "Though I should... likely not be in the front. I can come in... if others are looking to fall. Every moment we dally this place might claim more lives." He got to his feet unsteadily, his polearm supporting his weight. "Once we find the cause of this, I can rest plenty and easily."

Rolled a 4 on the Disposition roll.
C:8 D:8 F:13 H:2/12 I:12 W:12
AR:? DP:4 SPD: 6

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

"If he is not with the nightmares he's no enemy of ours this day." Musad said, then regretted it. The very vibrations of his voice, as well as every step, sent shockwaves of blinding pain through his head. He took a few moments to recover. "What purpose brings you to this damned place anyway, if not to end this damned corruption?"

AR:? DP:4 SPD: 6[/i]

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

Musad hesitated, not charging forward. Part of him cursed himself a coward. Did he not seek to fight to the death here? Why was he hesitating now. But death is sometimes like a girl at the harvest festival. When the cups are full and she is far off, she is tempting, yet sometimes, when faced up close, she is not quite as appealing as she was earlier. And painful as life might be, one wants to keep it, and burneded as the heart might be, it wishes to keep beating. And so Musad held and waited at the back, waiting to have an enemy distracted by his companions, before he'd go in.

Going to delay till after the enemies, then come in and try to get a swing in after they went. Don't want to risk being the target for an attack

AR:? DP:4 SPD: 6[/i]

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

Three cultists down, but their own blood is flowing. Musad breathes heavily as he looks at the position. The cultists forming a line that would require anyone fighting them to put themselves within sight of the door. But because of the magics of the bey, they seemed to suddenly waver. It was all the encouragement he needed, and with a hoarse cry, Musad charged. He might find that he did not wish to be dead, yet he was no coward. He brought the polearm down into a downward diagonal slash, finding purchase in the cultist's neck, letting the blade bury deep before withdrawing it to let the meat fall to the ground. "Not... done yet..." he said, the pounding of his blood causing stabs of pain in his head, and his reduced vision to grow red around the edges.

Charging the northern most cultist currently beset by the three in the north-west of the map. Rolling
<Shogeton> !roll 1d20+2
* @LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shogeton and got 17
<Shogeton> Probably a hit
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 16
I took the liberty of assuming I killed it. Will edit if this somehow ends up not the case. Also, Gaist, did you take into account I still damage even on a miss?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

Satisfied with the amount of violence dealt out in this fight, Musad moves out of range of the archers. Considering how he still felt a hair away from death's door, he didn't think he should tempt fate further than he already had. But if one of the others would go down, he would quickly move to drag them out of the acid, and out of sight, so they could be treated. He didn't want to lose more people to this Darkness.

Gonna be standing by, considering there are only so many people who can get to him, and Musad is still one good hit away from death.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

While he was not sure if Kasra's words were intended for him, Musad definitely heard them, and any restraint that his closeness to death might give him was discarded. With a guttural cry, he stepped forward toward the closest enemy, be that the cultist in front of him, or the abominable friar a bit furhter should the cultist be dead or fled by that time, and delivered a vicious overhanded strike.

<Shogeton> !roll 1d20+2
* @LawBot rolled 1d20+2 for Shogeton and got 18
<Shogeton> Probably a hit on whatever
<A_Velociraptor> Decisive strike
<Shogeton> !roll 2d10+2
* @LawBot rolled 2d10+2 for Shogeton and got 15

Attacking the guy next to me, if he's still there, otherwise, moving for the Friar

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

Musad backs away and the weapon, still covered in blood, turns back into a walking stick as he leans heavily on it. His one good eye is removed from Sister Reyhana, and focuses on the surrendering cultist instead, careful to avoid all the maggots as they wriggle and writhe. He looks down at the man, one eye tired, both with the long lasting fatigue of the heart, and the more short lived, but more acutely felt fatigue of the body. The other eye hidden and red. Neither of them seemed to hold much mercy or kindness for the cultist. His foot moved the bow out of the man's reach.

"Your prisoner, Shodana. Do you have a use for him?" The hold on the walking stick shifted, and all of a sudden it was a weapon again. But a heart's beat away from having the cultist join his fellows in rot and decay if he moved. "Is he even a man? Or just some monster that looks more like a man than the others here?"
"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

When talk is made of death not being an escape in this place, Musad's good eye seems to glare fiercer. His thoughts turning to his family and friends who were likely still suffering in that place. "I suppose that is a good reason to not kill him right here. Not out of mercy, but simply because we don't want to feed this Nightmare one more soul, even if it's filthier than a plague stricken brothel's mop."

At the matter of withdrawing, he sits down, now that the cultist is properly chained. "I'm not worse for wear than when we started this particular fight." Which was pretty bad for wear honestly. "But it might be good for me to hang back and use one of these bows. But we know these things come back if we give them the time. If we wait till I'm healed, we'll wait weeks. Let's rest here. Then push on."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

If Musad was in the temptation to start using the Fae Marked pool, hte fact that someone had washed of blood in it certainly removed it. For now, he just took one of the bows and quivers along, then rested up against a wall, letting Kasra's music take away his thoughts from his own closeness to death, and the final fate of his clan. "We barely survived the skeletons while we were a lot more whole. If the item is behind the skeletons, we are not going to get it before we have left the dungeon to recuperate."

He looked at the slowly dying cultist. "Like I said, don't feel like wasting antidote on him. But I don't feel like granting the Nightmare anything. I say we take him to the exit, hand him over to the authorities there, and let him die in the light. Or maybe someone there can heal him if they want it. But poison arrows can go astray in a battle, and I'd rather keep those antidotes for ourselves." And honestly, he wanted the cultist to die.

Rolled a 7 on my Disposition roll, I've also been told my Health goes up to a 4 now

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad

"Sounds good. We're already getting worn down. And if whatever thing that rules this has intelligence, hiding the item that sources this nightmare at the bottom of a pit might be the thing to do."

• Locked thread