Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
C He's a dead man, he won't ID us when we make off with the goods. Let's change buses the next place we can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I need a tie breaker!

Hobo quest must continue.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 28, 2016

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

A. He has loot on him too.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You stop the bus and run off, charging to your very brief friend. People seem to be assuming he's drunk and walking by, and it's simply too cold to stop and help him up. You run to his side and see his briefcase by his side, his body lying stiff and motionless. He's got that stench of death on him and the cold won't preserve it long. You see a cop far off not looking in your direction yet, but you don't have much time.

What two items do you take?

A) The briefcase

B) His wallet

C) His keyring

D) His coat and whatever is in his pockets

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah man, I sure hope we didn't catch what he had...

That briefcase sings to meta-senses about plot, so let's grab A and C in case the case is locked.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Elfface posted:

Ah man, I sure hope we didn't catch what he had...

That briefcase sings to meta-senses about plot, so let's grab A and C in case the case is locked.

This and if he gave us his real name we can go to his office and/or apartment.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Elfface posted:

Sounds good to me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
ABCD. No half measures.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You grab his suitcase and keys and walk away quickly. A cop begins walking in your direction but stops at him and begins kicking him.

"Listen drunk, get off the street"

Truly a city of wonders.

You pick up the pace and turn as many corners as you can and now you need to decide on a path.

A) I'm really hungry and this has been a day, I want to go to my diner. The people there trust me, I can get some coffee and search through this stuff inside out of the cold.

B) I have Donald's apartment, I could just go there now. He doesn't have any family, no one is going to be looking for him.

C) Time to bet on the ponys! My luck could not get any better if I tried!

D) Find a dark alley and begin searching through this stuff. It is very cold though and your pants have some holes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B.Your house is now mine.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

AJ_Impy posted:

B.Your house is now mine.

And his spare pants!

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

D. Let's not leave too evidence around his place. We need to make a clean break. Those goods were meant for someone important and I don't want them fingering us.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You arrive at the address at Mott and Hester, a spot where little italy meets china town. The apartment is located over a diner you've never been to and an appliance shop of some kind. You go up the narrowest set of stairs you've ever been through and arrive at the apartment. One of the keys on the ring works just fine and you get in. There's boxes lying all around, it looks like Donald never even had a chance to unpack. A typewriter, desk, and phone lie on one end of the room. A Murphy bed lines the wall and folds into the living area. There is a kitchen surprisingly with gas utilities and electrical lighting. Thousands of parcels lie all around. A clock on the wall ticks away the day. A wardrobe and small safe lie in the corner. After you walk in, you step on a note that looks like it was slid under the door. It's still sealed, but what the hell.

quote:

"Thank you for covering this and next months rent so ahead of schedule as I was away. Now, I know you have some business visitors coming in and out but this is a residential property only so please do not make noise. I still need to meet you, sorry I was gone. I work my shift in the diner most days, just come down when you're ready."
-Minh

The note is written on the back of an order receipt with no info on it.

What do you want to do?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Hello, new identity! Go through his affairs, shave our beard, and become The Donald

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Pawn it all. Get rich..

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We can't shave! That beard conceals our secret identity as a woman/vampire/alien/other!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You go around and start really checking out the mans personal affairs. Donald wasn't a rich man so you could make a few bucks pawning his stuff but you'll need some help hauling it back and forth. There's a safe with 48 dollars in it and some stock certificates, a bottle of very old whiskey, and a couple boxes of .38. In the desk drawer which has been locked, you find Donald's personal effects all scattered around including a birth certificate, some schooling papers, a vehicle ownership title. There's also a a Saturday night special rattling around unloaded. Probably what the bullets are for.

Donald doesn't have a paper waiting anywhere, he probably wasn't much for one. There's some Harding campaign paraphernalia roaming around there. On the shelf are just a few books, including a bible that looks like it's never been opened. There's a diary.

The briefcase is relatively boring, other than a series of ornate envelopes (Sealed with a foil of some kind to show tampering) there's nothing else in there.

You take about an hour really going through everything. You get a quick shave in, and find a pair of wool pants that fit well enough, and strap some suspenders to them so they don't sag to the ground (He was a bit of a hefty fellow). You're looking more respectable by the minute. There's definitely stuff to sell but you do need a second set of hands.

The phone rings.

A) Answer the phone.

B) Ignore the phone, go to the diner to see if you can get someone to help you move this stuff.

C) Ignore the phone, find a speakeasy and enjoy being Donald.

D) Ignore the phone, open one of the envelopes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B. This ain't our place, best not let anyone know we're here for now.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

D Let's see what gave this man his heart attack.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone else?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You turn the radiator on so the place will be warm if you come back. As you drop your weight down the stairs you turn the corner fast and fling the door to the diner open.

You find yourself a seat inside. The prices are extremely reasonable, though the diner looks really empty. You notice the heating inside it is busted, that's why the sole waitress is the only person you see.

She walks up to you and asks "What can I do for you?"

A) "Are you Minh?"

B) "I'd like some coffee and pie."

C) "I'm sorry ma'am, can I just buy today's paper from you? I'll be on my way."

D) "Excuse me, I just forgot something", exit, and go to your normal spot where there will be far more people (probably).

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

B Time for some real talk: my home just ran out of pie in real life, and having game pie is wonderful comfort. Thank you, for your game that shines light in dark times.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"I'd like some coffee and pie"

She comes back with a cup of coffee, and it's nothing special but it is warm and fresh. With the snow piling up outside and the wind blowing it's really just the thing.

Then she comes with the pie. Some kind of abomination of sweet apple and gooey tart cherry that fogs the window when it's set down next to you. You just devour all at once, the slight burn on your tongue being worth every moment of deliciousness.

You put down two dimes satisfied. Unfortunately no one has come in yet.

What now?

Ideas:

Go to the race track

Go upstairs now that it's warm and check out these envelopes, see if there's anything valuable in them

Switch to Honest Joe

Switch to Ashcan Pete

Go upstairs and call your normal diner, see if Pete is there

Or other.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 29, 2016

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

bump

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Check out the envelopes.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Check out the envelopes.

Same. It's time to know what we're up against and see who might be calling.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You go right back to the apartment, and it is blissfully warm now. You go to the envelopes which only have an address and open them up, revealing an even smaller envelope.

quote:

To master William Vanderbilt the 2nd only

You look over your shoulders and take the risk and open this second envelope. The envelope is designed to open into a full sheet of paper. Inside is a normal looking key and an address and date/time, and nothing more.

quote:

7:00 on December 8th
at
19 Cliffside Lane
Innsmouth Massachusetts.

You feel around the other envelopes, they all have keys.

You hold the other envelopes up to the light to see the other names.

Rockefellers. Fords. Kennedys, as well as lots of people you've never heard of.

There's about 25 envelopes total. You now have the personal addresses of some of the richest people in the city, as well as a key to some unknown building off the coast.

What do you do?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure we just snagged an invite to a massive rich-person orgy!

Do we have a way of getting out there?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

On hand you have 148.74 even if you don't pawn anything. That's more than enough to hop a train and a bus. Hell, you can get there for free if you really want. Ashcan Pete and you have been up and down the Eastern coast and even done some stints out West.

You can get there pretty much anyway you want.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
We have the time, the place and the means of ingress. I suggest we use them. This is it, this is what we've been waiting for. To Innsmouth!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

quote:

Innsmouth Massachusetts.

Oh hell no.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

FaustianQ posted:

Oh hell no.

Afraid of a few shadows? Grasp the nettle! Seize the day!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Look this is clearly a once in a lifetime opportunity, but also a BIG job. We need associates to pull this off.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Let's find Pete and get ready for a trip to Innsmouth Let's get to the place early in case there are goods for the taking or set up to rob any riches who got their letter.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Knowing Pete you figure right about now he's probably at the tracks or your normal diner by now. You swing by the diner but no dice.

You are off to the tracks hopeful you'll find him and indeed you do. You see him scrounging through the trash, probably for misread betting stubs.

"Hey! Jack! How'd you like the movie man? I can't remember what you said last night we were pretty out of it. You looking for me? What is the matter?"

A) I found invitations to some weird meeting on the coast with rich people and I need a second set of hands and an angle. You want in?"

B) Your apartment was false Pete, but luckily I found another so I think you owe me. I got a great idea for how you can pay me back though."

C) I got a whole bunch of stuff to sell, I'll give you a piece if you join me?"

D) Have you ever been to Innsmouth Massachusetts?"

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
B

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B You owe me, you're in luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

B

• Locked thread