Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

sniper4625 posted:

Senator Samuel Brannan

Omnibus Bill 1850

Allocations
Ranger Upkeep - 3
ICE Upkeep - 3
San Francisco Customs House - 5
Supreme Court - 1
Citizenship Board - 1
2 Wealth to the provisos below
Total Expenditure: 15

Citizenship Board
The Citizenship Board shall be formed, comprising of 5 Appointees (Insert names here, 2 GEP, 2 Fed, 1 Republican.)

Judiciary Act

A system of Inferior Federal Courts shall be established, [steal from the Judiciary Act 1790]

Land Registry Office

A Federal Land Office shall be established in order to coordinate and grant Land Claims, honoring as possible the existing verified legal claims.
President Kearny

The federal party throws its weight behind the omnibus, so that we may ensure the free elections the federalists and allies promised, and began the process for, can be reached as soon as possible.

In other news, Sokolov has shown himself a brilliant orator and leader, and he is hereby appointed to be a Speaker and council member in the Californian Federalist Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Excerpts from the private journal of Ford Wallingford

...I asked the proprietor of my inn if he knew of any good places to acquire a sandwich. He directed me to a restaurant a short jaunt away and recommended the roasted beef. I obliged, and can attest from my own experience that it was marvelous.

Spent 1AP getting a sandwich

While dining, I happened to encounter a most peculiar fellow. He looked like a caricature of a barrister - his hair was unkempt, his suit ragged, and pardon my French but his chapeau looked more like a crapeau, caked as it was with dust. He saw my stares and approached; I was expecting a lecture on manners when he smiled and shook my hand. I barely told him my name when he boasted that he was a Senator (oh how far from Cicero we have fallen!) and that he was from the province of Nimrod.

...He talked very quickly and with such familiarity. I sense, though, this is just how Americans are...

...The messy minister rightly determined I wasn't a miner and asked me where I hoped to gain my fortune. I managed to say "farm" through my affliction, which was enough for him to continue his boasting. "Nimrod is the best for farms!" he declared. "The land is a New Arcadia!". "From even the meekest seeds can grow the finest crops!". "The Lord provides prosperous bounties for all who ask Him!" &c.

Finally he asked if I would like to speak with his colleague who recently came upon a large farmstead and was looking for a worthy tenant.

And thus it was I made the acquaintance of Mr. Brigham Young.

Spend 1AP talking to Senator Brannan

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Another Excerpt

I gained such pleasure from the roast beef sandwich I requested another, and asked for it to be wrapped in paper, so I could enjoy it later.

Spend 1 AP on another sandwich.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 17, 2016

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.
Sergei Sokolov

It has come to my attention that the great town of San Francisco is severely lacking in the fashion department. For this reason, I will take it upon myself to set up a trading station for furs and fancy hats. I will be buying furs from trappers in the North and reselling them to the citizens of this fair city for a great price! Don't ever walk into the saloon and look drab again! Buy Sokolov Fur today!

Spend 3 AP setting up fur trading and hat store with ridiculously high markups because it's name brand poo poo and people love name brand poo poo.

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.
Sergei Sokolov

I thank you greatly for the appointment President Kearny, I look forward to a lasting friendship. I will do everything in my power to bring forward the truth about madmen such as Hays and garner support for the Party.

My first action as a Speaker of the CFP will be to travel to Los Angeles, in Dorado (2 AP).

While there, I give a speech in front of hundreds of Californios (2 AP):

Greetings citizens of this fair nation,

I cannot believe how many of you have gathered here today, it truly is a sight to behold. To think that so many of you would show up to hear the ramblings of some strange man from a foreign nation. But that is precisely the force that is needed to bring us together. You do not care what I look like, what religion I practice, or how much money I have. You simply see me as a fellow Californian, a man who's utmost loyalty lies with the state. Unity and solidarity are strong here in great Dorado.

However, that does not mean we are free from dissenters and troublemakers, men such as former senator Hays still prowl our nation, seeking to alienate and persecute anyone who they feel does not belong, such as Mormons, Chinese, and Californios. I myself faced discrimination when a man by the name of Sutter attempted to steal a small fortune from me. Our courts stepped in and dispensed justice, that is the might of our nation. We cannot let these men tell us how we can and can't live, put your trust in the state! California First!

A translator was present and repeated the speech for those who did not speak English:

Saludos ciudadanos de esta nación justa,
No puedo creer cuántos de ustedes se han reunido aquí hoy, realmente es un espectáculo para contemplar. Pensar que tantos de ustedes se presentarían a escuchar las divagaciones de algún hombre extraño de una nación extranjera. Pero esa es precisamente la fuerza necesaria para unirnos. No te importa lo que parezca, qué religión practico, o cuánto dinero tengo. Simplemente me ves como un compañero californiano, un hombre que tiene la mayor lealtad con el estado. La unidad y la solidaridad son fuertes aquí en el gran Dorado.

Sin embargo, eso no significa que estemos libres de disidentes y alborotadores, hombres como el ex senador Hays siguen rondando nuestra nación, tratando de enajenar y perseguir a cualquiera que ellos piensen que no pertenece, como mormones, chinos y californios. Yo mismo me enfrentaba a la discriminación cuando un hombre con el nombre de Sutter intentó robarme una pequeña fortuna. Nuestras cortes intervinieron y dispensaron justicia, que es el poder de nuestra nación. ¡No podemos dejar que estos hombres nos digan cómo podemos y no podemos vivir, confiamos en el estado! California primero!

vicious citrus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 18, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Robert Stockton

From the Diary of Robert Stockton

I am returned home at last, or to San Francisco, at any rate. I intend to deliver the material from the trip to the President, and then begin a lecture tour, describing northern Jefferson and the Northern Territory, and explaining the opportunities there. It was with regret that I had to turn down the invitation of the Governor of Sierra for lunch when we passed near to the state capital. While he was most generous in offering it, that level of social interaction with a gentleman of his race is most certainly impossible, given the circumstances.

Spending 2 ap to give a lecture about the trip in San Francisco, then 1 ap to go to Nueva Helveta and 1 ap to lecture there.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Wang Long

Letter to Manuel Sanjurjo, Governor of Golden Bay

Dear Sanjurjo,

I finally had time to sit down and write you a letter. I do wish I had better news to relay about Fremont. He is still ill. With him being silent, it comes down to us rank and file to continue on in his legacy. I don't know if you will hear the news before it arrives, but I heard what happened in Mariposa.

I do believe we need to respond as a party to this event, but in principle in the manner that our founder would want. Therefore, I have decided to call all members of our Republican party down to the capital. I am working toward securing a space to be our party headquarters. It is actually opposite of the King Dragon Tea House in Nueva Helvetia. I hope to have a convention where we will discuss and decide what is to be done. A place that will be lively with honest debates about what we need to do. and I have called all members of the Republican party down to Downieville for a convention. I discussed this with senator Harding and believe having our convention there will be a good way to gather up Republican support not only in Sierra but elsewhere too. It will also allow us to go forward with what needs to be our new platforms and all. I have talked with Senator Sutter and he has allowed me to use his press to distribute literature that will be used for the events and all.

Do let me know if you are able to attend though.

-WL

On Forming Our State
I will be focusing on setting up districts and all that to ensure proper democratic procedures can occur in Sierra. I also will like to propose these following minor taxes to our congress, who represent our people, for their approval in the coming revenue and spending bill for the next year.
I suggest for now a minor tax on various vices such as prostitution, gambling, etcetera. Another minor tax on luxury goods as well such as coffee, suger, etcetera.

Focus on inviting all Republican officials to Downieville for the Convention 3ap
Set up the Republican HQ in Nueva Helvetia. 2ap
Setting up infrastructure for the state to work and having state congress set up a revenue and spending bill and accepting my tax proposals. 2ap
AP: 7

Ramba Ral fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 18, 2016

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: I have made a kind of base character sheet for people to help me keep track of what they have, their long-term plans, their goals, secret orders, etc. People will need to set up their sheets themselves. If you get me a gmail email address, I will create and share a google doc of a character sheet with you. The character sheet looks like this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Etx7tEmu-4ltH5-eBRbqRXjRFyjOCxxhStdZsqOAU24/edit#gid=0

and here is a filled-out one of a pretend character so you can have an idea of how to fill it out...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nY8gEmG1QMjVccgW_ohz2Tyzvgf_KAV7j_cw38jKBNA/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to PM me with your email, here on the forums or in Discord, since you probably don't want to share your email address! Another option would be for you to open up the base sheet or even John Sample and make your own copy (File->Make a Copy) then just share it with me. If you need my email PM me or ask me in Discord, or ask someone else!

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 18, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

As his campaign through the mining camps of Sierra and Nimrod comes to a close, Hays and his small entourage rides into Downieville as the decorations and banners for the arrival of the President are being put up. He eyes a small posse of Chinese Rangers warily.

Well, fellas, looks like we got us a fiesta here.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Excerpts from the private journal of Ford Wallingford

...boarded a ferry across the bay, and hired with Mr. Young a voiture to his town of Moroni. He spent our long and bumpy trip convincing me of the virtues both of his newfound homeland and for his strange, pagan faith. I told him I was already a Christian, and he apologised, but said he "wouldn't be doing His job" if he didn't proselytise every man, woman, and child he met.

He was exceedingly eager to provide me with a farmstead with significant acreage, despite barely knowing me and despite my affliction preventing me from speaking my own mind. I sensed a loneliness behind his eyes, belying his public life of polygamy and religious fervor. It was as if, even though he has thousands of sheep in his flock here in Moroni, he still feels as if a prophet alone in the wilderness...

In a tender moment he told me he hoped the two of us would become good friends, and to call on him if I needed anything. I cannot say I would mind having friends in such high places, but do Americans really place their confidences in strangers so hastily? It is a miracle their meagre nations have not yet been obliterated.

Spend 1AP traveling to Moroni. Spend 1AP speaking with Brigham Young about purchasing a farm.

...Mr. Young sent half a dozen of his followers, my new neighbours, to help build my cabin. Very generous of him. I may need to employ some permanently from Moroni, as maintaining this land will be a lot of work...

...300 acres, roughly, approximately three miles from a confluence of rivers... should be good for irrigation... abundant wood for my construction needs...

Spend 1AP purchasing a farm from Brigham Young (300 acres). Spend 1AP building a cabin, digging irrigation trenches, and tilling the field.

...wheat seems easy enough. If the soil is as fertile as these Mormons say, it should be a trivial thing to plant the seeds and let the irrigation do its job. I hope my arrognce [sic] is not my undoing; I've started construction of a primitive mill, expecting at least a satisfactory harvest. I am tempted to contract with bakers in Moroni for my flour, but there is the old adage about chickens hatching that comes to mind.

Spend 1AP planting a harvest of wheat, constructing a windmill, barns, and other farm buildings.

I am a farmer! I have grown life from the dirt! I am absolutely giddy. & in pain. I definitely need labourers.

Spend 1AP harvesting my crop!!!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 18, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
President Kearny, Leader of the Californian Federalist Party.

Arriving in Downieville, I hold my rally stressing national unity, and the federalist role in diffusing the most recent crisis. Meet and great the local leaders, show them the nation is here to help them, and ensure no one can do them wrong, etc, Fluffless post so as to not miss action deadline.

(1AP for travel 2 AP for rally alongside legitimacy effort of the rangers)

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 18, 2016

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Downieville vibrates with activity as the Republican convention, Kearny's presidential entourage, Hays and his rabble rousing associates, and Berreyesa's rangers all begin to filter into the town limits. Ladies of the night and saloon owners work double shifts to accommodate the influx of traffic, while the disparate political sentiments on display virtually guarantee a rising of tensions in this gold rush town. Senator Harding himself is stressed out and overworked, but seems resolved to see the town through this congregation of minds to its conclusion.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

A Proposal to the Governor and Notables of Golden Bay on the Formation of a New State Constitution

Governor, while I may not share your party, the Golden Eagles possess a strong presence in Golden Bay, and thus I present a suggested constitution that hopefully we may find common ground on. I have taken liberally from that of Nimrod, it being the most developed state constitution, but with obvious changes to fit our unique circumstances. As you have largely been an inactive presence over this last year, I hope I am not being too presumptuous, but we must act now if we wish to move forward in an organized manner.

Rights and Powers:
-Basic constitutional rights; free speech, assembly, practice of religion, militia, etc
-Rights to property
-The right for the state to levy taxes, including but not limited to property taxes and excise taxes

Structure
-A Governor, elected to 5 year terms, no term limits, veto power
-Lower House, Popularly elected, etc House of Representatives power
-Upper House, popularly elected, similar in function to the Senate. The Upper House will elect Senators to the federal Congress.
-The two houses assembled will be referred to as the State Congress, and be apportioned similar powers and duties.
-The State Supreme Court shall be apportioned similar powers, and be comprised of seven individuals serving for life.

General Laws
-San Francisco is to be the state capital.
-Supporting the national homestead act, surveys and apportionment should begin posthaste.
-Property rights are to be respected, and the state militia and police created and authorized to enforce relevant laws and rights, in support of the federal rangers.

-Creation of relevant state-level officials and bureaucracy, to be based in San Francisco, in the state capital upon its completion.
-The authorization of the Golden Bay Militia, as a state level military force. Members will receive compensation for any service, as well as preference in allotment of homestead land following such service.

Revenue Law of Golden Bay

In order to collect revenue, the following taxes state are authorized:
-Excise taxes on the sale of liquor, tobacco, coffee, and other forms of luxury goods
-Excise taxes on gambling establishments and other houses of "entertainment", a portion of their sales
-Property taxes on agricultural land greater than 150 acres for single men, 200 acres for married men, 250 acres for families with children (meaning small homesteaders would be exempt)
-Property taxes on mining claims greater than 100 acres, but NOT dependant on the actual value of the find - intended to give mine owners a stake in property rights, and pay for enforcement thereof, and not overly burden them above the gold tax.

I welcome your further thoughts on the matter.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 18, 2016

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

San Francisco District Chief Chu

Excerpt from a speech given by the San Francisco District Chief to his subordinates

...I think it a necessity to understand our purpose here. As rangers, the grand cause of our formation was the enforcement of the gold revenue tax. As officers of the law, our purpose (as such can be determined) is now towards maintaining a fair and just execution of both the law and the protection of those who claim California their home. San Francisco is not in and of itself a region rich in resources. San Francisco is not in and of itself a miner's town. San Francisco is the heart of our republic. San Francisco is the heart of our republic's commerce. As such our city will accumulate and attract both the productive and parasitic elements which inevitably gravitate towards a vibrant economy. Bums, miners, merchants, tradesmen, swindlers, medicine doctors, thieves and proprietors will eventually find themselves here, make no mistake about that. With every individual diligently and honestly working to find his way, we shall find the vagabond and miscreant looking to find the promise of an easy dollar. Our aim is to guarantee that productive trade go unimpeded or compromised. Our focus is to make sure all who wish to conduct themselves lawfully and honestly get a fair shot to exercise their trade. Our vigilance is focused against those who prey upon the honest. Our malice directed against those who choose savage methods...

Chu's Ranger Standard
•Accept no bribes
•Never compromise with criminals
•Partner with local law enforcement agencies
•Turn down reward money

4 AP Towards building a sense of common solidarity amongst the San Francisco rangers towards the struggle of bringing civilization, law and order to the district.
3 AP Towards vetting and assigning rangers to the task of securing the roads and enforcing safe passage for federal and local tax collectors.
3 AP Towards vetting and assigning rangers to the task of building rapport with the locals, chiefly in guaranteeing the safety of their property, livelihood and persons.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Fellow citizens of California! Even as many excitements and thrilling crises envelop the frontiers of this newborn nation, greater work must be invested at the capital, the core of the republic. Here, the Taiping Mission seeks to do good and spread the good news of Heavenly Brother Hong, and so fulfill the precepts of the Heavenly Father above by both works and word.

And thus, it is in this time we announce the establishment of the Heavenly Love Hospital of San Francisco. This establishment shall serve as the first and premier private hospital to help all in the nation, specializing for now, the treatment of those afflicted with frontier ailments, from measles, to snakebite, to dysentery, to exhaustion. With the beginnings of such a medical system to serve the public, we may then rest easy from being afflicted by the fear of epidemics from smallpox to stabbings. The Heavenly Love Hospital will utilize cures and treatments from all cultures, combining wisdom both Western and Eastern, so long as none engender fraternization with demonic sources. As of now we only have space to house only a score of patients at a time, but the Love Hospital will increase its capacities as contributions increase. The God-worshippers Congregation of the Taiping would like to acknowledge and applaud the Hudson Bay Company's generous seed donation to the Love Hospital, and bless them in the name of the Heavenly Father and Brothers. May their mission of commerce and wealth abound, and we shall send glad tidings of their generosity to our brothers and sisters back in Old Cathay. After all, wealth stems from health.

And there is a spiritual health in addition to those of the physique. The work on the Heavenly Love Hospital has preoccupied much of my time this past season, and the rest of it has been spent on missionary work for the God-worshippers Congregation, extolling the virtues of Scripture and elucidating the will of God to the unchurched of Golden Bay. The Taiping mission seeks to enlighten the world with the visions of Heavenly Brother Hong, who has completed the revelation of the prophets who came before him. Even in the far lands of Old Cathay, the Congregation is teaching the people of the Celestial Empire the words of the Bible and dispelling devils, both human and infernal, with his Demon-Exterminating Sword. Come, Golden Bay, come California, come to the word and accept the completed Christianity that the Heavenly Father has seen fit to reveal to a humble Chinese scholar? Repent of your sins, reject idolatry, and serve God with sincere and loving hearts.

the Blessed Heavenly Brother Hong Xiuquan posted:

When our transgressions high as heaven rise,
How well to trust Jesus’ full atonement;
We follow not the demons, we obey
The holy precepts, worshipping alone
One God, and thus we cultivate our hearts.
The heavenly glories open to our view,
And every being ought to seek thereafter.
I much deplore the miseries of hell.
O turn ye to the fruits of true repentance!
Let not our hearts be led by worldly customs.

(+3 AP for hospital, +5 AP for preaching)

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 19, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
James Sinclair

Spending 1 Wealth to assist in the construction of the Hospital; spending the remainder of my AP to invest in the river trade.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: I have to administer some final exams tomorrow, bveen busy today getting ready for Christmas, but I should have the turn out tomorrow or Tuesday morning at the latest, so feel free to take some extra time to get your turn out if you haven't already.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

I am terminating my membership of the Federalist party.

I believe the party lacks a coherent ideology and is merely a vehicle for President Kearny's political aspirations. The founding charter which first appealed to me spoke of a strong central government. However, President Kearny, rather than strengthening the executive, has sided with the Mormon particularists in the Senate, who have a stranglehold over legislation. Instead of remedying that with a decisive show of strength by organising new elections and appealing to the electorate for a mandate, he has allowed the efforts of his government officials to be wasted battling the intransigence of the Mormon special interests.

The development of our nation's bureaucracy has probably been set back years thanks to Senator Brannan's obsession with bizarre Mormon fantasies, such as pointless and expensive railway systems. That President Kearny tolerates this demonstrates his lack of a coherent political philosophy.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

I am terminating my membership of the Federalist party.

I believe the party lacks a coherent ideology and is merely a vehicle for President Kearny's political aspirations. The founding charter which first appealed to me spoke of a strong central government. However, President Kearny, rather than strengthening the executive, has sided with the Mormon particularists in the Senate, who have a stranglehold over legislation. Instead of remedying that with a decisive show of strength by organising new elections and appealing to the electorate for a mandate, he has allowed the efforts of his government officials to be wasted battling the intransigence of the Mormon special interests.

The development of our nation's bureaucracy has probably been set back years thanks to Senator Brannan's obsession with bizarre Mormon fantasies, such as pointless and expensive railway systems. That President Kearny tolerates this demonstrates his lack of a coherent political philosophy.

President Kearny, Leader of the Californian Federalist Party.

The party will have no love lost for the man who takes federalism to mean aggrandizing the office of the vice president to the power of the Caesars of Rome. The fact you attempted to hijack authority clearly designated to the people and the senate from a position of powerless tie breaking, suggests that perhaps all frenchmen seek the blatant hypocrisies so cleanly displayed in your own "revolutions".

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Senator Brannan

I am vastly amused that it is my railway proposal that merits especial attention as a "Mormon Fantasy," considering that the California Railways Act has been the only one thus far to receive unanimous support in the Senate - if a fantasy, it is a shared one. As for your other charges, laughable all - to reject an overreaching radical Vice President is not to reject the bureaucracy he intended to stack with his supporters. All the necessary institutions of state will be created in due and good time, regardless of the grandstanding of some.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Republican Party Flier

Republican Party's Platform:
The Republican Party is dedicated to taking a strong stance for immigration! Everyone that comes to California shall find a voice inside our party! They shall be able to participate in the national narrative and pursue their inalienable rights of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
The Republican Party shall continue to do all they can to protect the personal liberties of all Californians, and act as eternal safeguards of our rights!
The Republican Party shall push for protection of our nascent industries so that California can compete!
The Republican Party shall maintain a strong neutrality in the matters of religion, being careful not to act in bias against any religious group in California.
The Republican Party shall push for public education to the benefit of all Californians!

The rest of the flier mentions various accomplishments such as pushing through federal emancipation while trying to avoid using the letter W, for obvious reasons. It appears to be

OOC: Sutter said he'll spend the AP if I posted this flier. So done with my agitprop.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Spend three AP printing and distributing it!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

José Castro

I implement a property tax to cure my budget deficits. 1AP

And I build a new capitol in pueblo revival style ala: this. 3AP

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: Got some stuff coming up tonight... stay tuned

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

CALIFORNIA - JANUARY-FEBRUARY 1850

[b]As 1850 comes into full swing, life throughout California is changing day-by-day. A continual stream of new settlers, none of whom can be considered citizens, is swelling the populations of Nimrod and Sierra. 75% of these settlers come from the United States, but there is also a stream from South America, especially Peru and Chile, and some from Mexico. Chinese have been offloading in San Francisco by the boatload, more than 2,000 in a single day. Almost all head immediately for the gold fields. The pressure of these new settlers is definitely being felt. In 1848, the average miner was earning $20 per day. Today, it seems to be more like $14. As the pressure grows on miners, there is a very real, and very dangerous sense of ethnic and national rivalry growing. Many Americans, who may feel themselves entirely the masters of their new mining towns and exercise complete control, are ignoring many aspects of governance. While the expansion of the Rangers and their movements through the towns is creating a sense of law and order, there is a very real resentment growing, especially among Californians. A number of Californios, citizens all, have been run off of their lands and claims by larger, more belligerent, better-armed gangs of Americans. This is creating resentment in states like Dorado and Eden, where it is claimed that the Californian government does not protect the rights of the true natives of California (irony left to future generations).

"We're payin' taxes to these Californians but ain't no citizenship for three years. Well, if there's an ounce of gold left here in three years the way things have been going, then I suppose I may as well run for President and kick out all the foreigners so there will be something left...." - An American rabble-rouser in Mariposa

Brigham Young finds himself in possession of two fully-translated Books of Mormon, one in the Chinese tongue, the other in the Spanish. The quality of the translations is somewhat unknown, and the Chinese is almost impossible to verify, but they seem to both be of the appropriate length and bolded and numbered in the appropriate places.

In the high passes of the Sierras, starving and confused travelers find new comfort in the Mormon Mountain Trailblazers, informally known as Mounties. These former members of the Mormon Brigade are helping travelers to make their way across the high mountains to safety, which saves a number of lives, and brings great comfort to others. Some of these men (and a few women) are led to Moroni to recover, and find there comfort in food and the Book of Mormon. Trust in Mormons increases among many of these new overland miners, and begins to spread throughout the American communities specifically, though much of that trust is little more than overcoming intense prejudice.

In San Francisco, Prince Hasmim Keeburday Bagoo arrives in a half-wrecked boat. This fascinating Negro prince of the Booboni people soon makes his story known to the people of San Francisco in his increasingly fluent English. His throne seized by his uncle, the evil regent Mapootee, Prince Bagoo regales the people of San Francisco with the riches of his nation. His Praetorian guard is willing to restore him to the throne, but only if he can pay them off. He promises that any money lent by the government of California will be repaid "100 times over."

"In California you white men esteem a nugget of gold a great matter of consequence. Ho ho, in Booboniland, such a nugget would be little more than a child's plaything. If you will help me to reclaim my throne, I will present you with a thousand such nuggets every day, for a thousand days!" - Prince Hasmim Keeburday Bagoo

Nimrod's first constitutional amendment is quietly passed, outlawing the broad marriage freedoms which were understood to allow polygamy. The damage is done, and people see this far more as a matter of Young's hand being caught in the cookie jar, but it certainly does not decrease anyone's opinion, save that for a minority of Mormons who seethe in bitter, monogamous resentment.

Jack Hays is a man on everyone's tongue these days. An intensely polarizing figure, he is either loved or hated, obviously depending much on one's religion and race. Though opinion polls are nowhere to be found, popular opinion sees many Americans speaking out on behalf of Hays, and the Democrats, while the Republicans and GEP are seen as having created a Californian citizenry and then failing to expand that franchise sufficiently. Those who find the populist's appeals little more than boorish Jacksonianism are centering around the Republicans and GEP. The miners on the other hand, seem virulently anti-slavery, as the very idea of a man doing nothing while letting his slaves collect gold is antithetical to their very lives. No man wishes to be seen as doing slave's work, and many slaveholders who bring slaves to the mines are run out of town, and the slaves freed.

In Downieville, Senator Harding's pleas help bring a calm to the atmosphere of the town, with an increasingly large and vocal minority seeing the government in Nueva Helvetia as disinterested in the affairs at the edge of the Sierras.

"Why would I head over to Helvetia? Why the hell am I gonna go an do a thing like that? The whole dang place is one extortion racket! Shops, bars, flophouses, from beginning to end it's hell for a working man..." - A Downieville Miner

The conflict over the time elections will be held seems to be the overwhelming political issue of the day. While Republicans and Golden Eagles seem well-content with the schedule, the Democrats have succeeded in rousing a great deal of opinion. As more and more Americans enter the nation, and feel disenfranchised in a way they never have before, they are seeking to make their voices heard. Without a vote however, there seems to be no legal way to have that done (awkwardddd)

As Postmistress Fremont embarks on a tour of the nation, she wends her way down the coast, in each city selling her postal bonds. Folk songs sung out to the groups of men who haven't yet left for the mines find a receptive audience. The new lyrics to tune of 'Old Rosin' the Beau' are well-received, and in many places the very presence of a lady is enough of a spectacle to draw every man for miles. Her folksy charm and casual nature bring her name renown throughout the state, and if there were an election for a First Lady of California, surely she would win by far. Though the communities she passes through are mostly poor once she makes her way through San Francisco, she does manage to sell a number of postal bonds in each city she stops by. She collects the money herself, and it is expected to be quite a deal of wealth overall, which will have to be deposited in the treasury of the nation, for eventual repayment with interest (+1 wealth for Fremont)

"I had to see it myself, and well... it were worth the walk." - An elderly miner who claimed to have traveled more than 40 miles by foot to see Mrs. Fremont in person

President Kearny's attempts to push forward a nationalist Federalist agenda seem to be falling on hard times. While people appreciate his powerful looking bird upon a saw-wheel, his message of some kind of Californian unity falls on almost entirely deaf ears. Anglos have little desire to associate themselves with Chinese, Negroes, or Mexicans. Many of the older Californios, in possession of ranches spreading out over thousands of acres, look upon the ragged miners as little more than locusts. The Federalist message seems to have chosen an even less compelling message, and as the actual percentage of Californian citizens decreases every day, the idea of a Californian nationalism championed by a decreasing minority finds little favor. The Democrats, with a core message seem to be gaining the most support from former Federalists, while the lack of clear policy differences between the Republicans and GEP apart from their stances on Mormonism seem to be causing issues for their expansion, as both seem to be currying favor with a similar demographic, with opinions on Mormonism being the defining characteristic.

In Edén, Castro's movements to register and keep track of all land claims, obviously to the benefit of the landed Californio ministry, are well-appreciated by that group. Though there have been a few instances of miners probing the hills of the area, the lack of any appreciable amount of gold has kept most miners heading straight through or around Eden's rough landscape for the central valley. Very little immigration has reached the area, though those who do make it to the area seem to find the name fitting. The bureaucracy necessary to register and keep track of land claims has grown however, and will need to be paid for, though overall the state of law and order and the contentedness of the citizens is high, with almost everyone seeing Castro as a positive force in the state.

In San Francisco, Vice President Bonaparte's attempts to staff the ICE bureau with his own partisans creates a clear debate on the nature of the executive, especially the vice-presidency, which in the United States had never seemed to do anything nearly so interesting. His own departure from the Federalist party seems to be a tremendous blow, as President Kearny is left as the leader of a party which seems to have little connection to the people. Bonaparte does manage to get through most of the men he wished into positions, though the conflict over the actions seems to make it difficult to collect money, a keen eye being on every action of ICE at the moment.

"Did you hear the next Federalist candidate for the presidency? The mustachiod-warbler... his platform has already been passed, flying around all fanciful-like but ain't goin' nowhere. Sure does look pretty though..." - An anonymous comment in the Alta Star

ARRIVAL OF FOREIGN DIGNITARIES
Entering the nation a few at a time, foreign dignitaries have arrived in San Francisco. While many are from nations which do not officially recognize California as an independent nation (and some which would be fiercely opposed to such), all are now residing at various places in San Francisco, seeking lodging, hearing petitions, and making friends. (Anyone can speak with a dignitary in San Francisco for a cost of 1 AP. I will take the position of the dignitary to speak with you.)

Mr. Percival Thorpe - A British merchant and man of stature who has been authorized by Parliament to represent British interests in California, and confirmed in the position by Queen Victoria herself.
Count Vladimir Vladimirovsky - A Russian naval officer who represents the court of Emperor and Autocrat of All Russias, Nicholas I.
Hasmim Keeburday Bagoo - A prince of the Booboni whose uncle has seized his rightful throne.
Marlin Goodrich - A representative of the United States government who claims that he was sent to oversee "the fair and equal treatment of American citizens in Mexican territory."
Colonel Albemarle Julep - A Texan rancher and elder statesman, representing Texas, and firmly tied in friendship to Mr. William Walker, who recommended him to the position and arranged for his safe transport overland to San Francisco.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: There's a partial, I will finish the rest tomorrow...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

Letter to President Kearny

Sir,

Perhaps you have heard of the appearance of a certain Nigerian Prince in San Francisco. While I am opposed to the idea of monarchy per se, we should respect the Prince's rights while he is a guest in our Republic. He should be allowed to raise funds for the expedition to his homeland.

However, we should also protect the interests of our citizens. Therefore, when he attempts to board a vessel, representatives from the Rangers and Customs should seize all gold on his person and present him with a Treasury IOU, to be redeemed upon his return with sufficient evidence of his nobility, as determined by our court system.

If he fails to return after 10 years, Californian citizens with proof of their participation in his plan can then claim their assets back from the Government.

Yours etc,
Bonaparte

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

Reading a letter from a friend in Texas, Jack Hays is told that Colonel Julep will be arriving in San Francisco shortly. He immediately begins packing to leave Downieville and head for the capital.

1 ap to travel to SF and 1 to speak with Colonel Julep.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
FSAD, we passed 1 year citizenship last round.

I also thought I had been pretty clear that the GEP party is more business/conservative friendly as opposed to the radical republicans, but I guess I can make it clearer?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 22, 2016

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: I will fix the citizenship stuff as this is considered an ongoing thing, rather than an all at once, so I am trying to do this altogether. Remember news also travels slowly here, so it's entirely possible that a law passed in San Francisco might take weeks to be well-known throughout the nation *adjusts uncomfortably-tight necktie* Ahem. I've been called to go to Colorado tomorrow and I need to rest so I don't die on the roads, so I won't be able to knock out the rest of the turn tonight, but I assume everyone is moving around for Christmas and busy so I'll get it out as soon as I have the time in the evening to sit down and knock it out, and then things should be normal after Christmas and I'll have the time to keep to it as I had initially wanted, responding to people's actions on a much more individual basis than large turn reports... also everyone will get a Christmas present for the turn, except for Sniper and others who do not recognize the savior's birthday.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fall Sick and Die posted:

OOC: I will fix the citizenship stuff as this is considered an ongoing thing, rather than an all at once, so I am trying to do this altogether. Remember news also travels slowly here, so it's entirely possible that a law passed in San Francisco might take weeks to be well-known throughout the nation *adjusts uncomfortably-tight necktie* Ahem. I've been called to go to Colorado tomorrow and I need to rest so I don't die on the roads, so I won't be able to knock out the rest of the turn tonight, but I assume everyone is moving around for Christmas and busy so I'll get it out as soon as I have the time in the evening to sit down and knock it out, and then things should be normal after Christmas and I'll have the time to keep to it as I had initially wanted, responding to people's actions on a much more individual basis than large turn reports... also everyone will get a Christmas present for the turn, except for Sniper and others who do not recognize the savior's birthday.

:jewish:

Thanks for the responses.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 23, 2016

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
February-March 1850

OOC: Apologies for the delay on this, things got messy at the end of finals week, then of course Christmas, but here it is! The Christmas (and Hanukkah) gift is that for each person who is still playing, you will get a free stat improvement of your choice SO LONG AS YOU HAVE MADE A CHARACTER SHEET. I won't implement a stat improvement if you have no character sheet, so please make it, and ask someone else for help if you don't know how to do it. When you have your sheet, just make a note in a post that you are increasing X stat by 1 point to the new value of Y.

Other things to do this turn: flesh out NPC senators, add something to the spreadsheets for foreign representatives, get everyone's spreadsheets settled. Next turn will end on Monday, January 2nd, 2017!

(Forgot to mention this) SB 14, which allows the Spanish language to be used for citizenship matters under the enforcement of the Brannan Plan, passes easily through the Senate. This brings a large number of supporters from Dorado and Edén to the Golden Eagle Party, which is increasingly looking like a party of everyone except Anglo Protestants.

The passing of SB 15, which allows citizenship to be had after 1 year, is met with a resounding cheer by Protestants and Anglos alike, but with great consternation by Californios, who are increasingly left out in the cold by all major parties. With the GEP, Democrats, and Federalists clearly supporting increased immigration, Californios feel that they are losing what was 'their' nation, and the previous 3 years of settlement which had been a crucial compromise to gain Californio support, is now left by the wayside. Edén and Dorado states are clearly unhappy. Senators in both states are threatening to quit all those parties which support increased and uncontrolled immigration, and to form their own bloc within the senate, of four votes, which would prevent all further citizenship being offered, as well as levy a heavy tax on all foreign miners.

In the case of Sergei Sokolov and Mr. John Sutter, the Supreme Court makes it clear that the judgment against Mr. Sutter has been issued, and that it is the responsibility of the executive branch to enforce judicial decision, unless the government wishes to imbue the Supreme Court with an enforcement body.

The festivities in Downieville are a rousing success, with hundreds of miners making their way to the area, drinking and carousing and rabble-rousing. While there are a few fist-fights over political matters, they are quickly quieted down and the atmosphere in the city settles down somewhat from the fever pitch that it had been at for the past few weeks.

Vice-President Bonaparte's work to hire a board of citizenship-reviewers who will take payment to expedite processing is a mixed bag. While he is able to hire such a group and set them to work in San Francisco, very few persons seem willing to pay any fee for the right to citizenship, most arrivals were in fact unaware that California was an independent country, and they see no reason to purchase citizenship as there is no legal or political difference between citizens and non-citizens in the mines. With few payments coming in, and fewer citizens being registered by the body, employees are up-in-arms about the lack of payment, seeing no way to resolve the issue, many have taken to simply registering anyone who wishes as a citizen in protest at a uselessly contradictory government post.

As the Rangers, led by José de los Santos Berreyesa, make their way to Downieville, there is a bit of tension at first. While the Rangers are camped on the outskirts of town, they make multiple forays into the mining areas. A bit of investigative work becomes the norm for the Rangers, as they have to determine the validity of claims with whatever local land-title agency any district has developed. As the Rangers are seen more and more around the camps, things settle down. When a large group of Anglos from Massachusetts try to force a French couple from what seems to be a legal claim, the Rangers step in and in the end, one of the Massachusettsmen is shot in the arm. The Rangers are applauded for their evenhandedness by most of the middle-class miners, while those who had previously profited from the lack of law and order quietly make their way out of Downieville altogether. Law and order is solid within the city, and though the mines are not producing at the extent they were in mid-49, people are generally dealing with it well.

As the former-Senator Hays makes his way north along the Sierras, from Nimrod to Sierra state, he rouses up crowds of Anglos on his path for the Democratic Party, against taxation of gold, and for a land where Protestant Anglos can become citizens immediately. This is overwhelmingly popular among the miners of the Sierras, 75% of whom are American Anglo Protestants, intensely suspicious of Mormon government in Nimrod, and angry at their lack of a say in how things are done (though not enough to pay Mr. Bonaparte for citizenship.) The Democratic Party seems to be growing in strength as a center of Anglo Protestantism, who make up an increasingly large percentage of the population every day, though not reflected in their citizenship numbers. There is no official census which has taken place, yet it is clear that Anglo Protestants form an increasingly large majority within California, and they are calling for elections which they feel can only increase their power.

John Sutter makes his mark in the printing world as a newspaperman, with a vicious weekly paper which scours Mormonism and the current administration. Anglo Protestants flock to the Free Press throughout Sierra and increasingly in the eastern portion of Nimrod where Mormonism and the state government governs with a light hand. His sharp attacks on 'King of the Mormons' Brigham Young and President Kearny are extremely popular, and drum up support for Sutter as a man willing to stand up and speak the truth against Brannan's Alta California, which while popular as the only game in town previously, was seen as little more than Brannan's personal mouthpiece. (-1 influence for Brannan, +1 influence for Sutter). The newspaper definitely decreases public support for Brigham Young's joint control of Mormonism and the state government of Nimrod, while also pushing Anglo Protestants further towards immediate elections. Some Anglos in Nimrod speak even of being able to out-vote the Mormons there, despite a continual influx of Mormons along the trails, with the richest gold-fields in Nimrod, and no real count of people, it's almost impossible to know how many people are there.

The omnibus spending bill passes, allocating federal funds to the various portions of the government. Though it manages to appoint the necessary inferior federal courts and a kind of federal land registry, whose duties remain somewhat nebulous and potentially conflicting with state-and municipal land registries. The Post Office is de-funded with little argument, and the few postal workers immediately abandon their jobs for the mines or other forms of more reliable remuneration. Where this leaves the Postmistress-General is a matter up for debate, but there will be no further budget allocations until 1851's spending period, an eternity in Californian time.

Mr. James Sinclair establishes an HBC warehouse upriver from Sacramento, which works to sell equipment to miners heading up the Sacramento river or down into Moroni as they move in that direction, pulling business away from midway points like Nueva Helvetia and Moroni, though few people live in the area now, and it's little more than a few shops, a warehouse, and a ferry dock. As the river traffic in the central valley increasingly falls under the control of Sinclair, he pushes out rivals by undercutting their prices, and manages to increase his own wealth at the same time (+1 wealth to James Sinclair)

Sergei Sokolov makes his way to Los Angeles where he assembles as large a crowd as can be found, many more interested in seeing a Russian than anything else, and several are disappointed as they had heard that all Russians had red hair, while Mr. Sokolov has no hair whatsoever. Speaking on behalf of the Californian Federalist Party, Sokolov makes a mediocre case for support for the Federalist agenda. Trusting in the inherent strength of far-away courts entices few Californios to support the Federalists, many of whom are far more interested in news of the G.E.P.'s creation of a federal land registry, as news of the government's failure in multiple cases to maintain the land titles of others, as well as their lack of enforcement in Sokolov's own case, make his speech fall on relatively deaf ears. Though Californios are by no means hostile to Federalists, they see little in common at the moment, and feel far more Mexican than members of an Anglo-dominated California.

Sokolov's attempts to start a fur hat brand in San Francisco are far more successful however, as many newly-wealthy are happy to have what come to be known as a Czar's Hat during the chilly Californian winter along the coast. Sokolov increases his wealth by +1, and San Franciscans seem to have their first fashion trend erupting.

As Commodore Stockton's group returns to San Francisco, a crowd of well-wishers make their way to welcome him and give him what is essentially a Roman Triumph through the heart of the city. Regaling the crowd with hints of his tales of the fabulous lands of the far north, Stockton commands the city's attention for more than a week, equivalent to years in any other nation's time. He brings with him news of a more fortunate kind as well, "Gold, there in the north, in the territories... nestled in the mountains, south of our border with British Oregon by our measure... nuggets were found by one of our crew, an educated man who exclaimed Eureka!" Stockton continues along his way towards Nueva Helvetia, lecturing and speech-making at every turn, he is thronged by masses of people. As they hear of his travels, the wonders he has seen, and the news of gold, large numbers of out-of-luck miners head north based upon his description of 'Eureka', to see about a change of circumstance, or scenery at the least. (+1 influence Stockton)

As President Kearny makes his way to Downieville, Hays' own rabble-rousers had been calmed, and Senator Harding himself sets the tone, welcoming the President. His speeches on the necessity for unity and the forging of a strong Californian identity fall on the ears of a mass of miners who have no intention of remaining in California, who seek only to make their fortune and return home, and another group of those who would be willing to stay, but are currently not citizens, and ineligible to vote. While a large number of Californians are impressed to see this manful President speaking to them of things of great consequence, the Republican party is in no way damaged in their loyalty of the majority of Downies.

In San Francisco, Ranger Chief Chu forms what comes to be seen as the Ranger's Standard, a moral standpoint which sets them apart even further from other law enforcement agencies of the time, and fully separates them from much of the local Chinese community, for whom graft, bribes and compromise are essentially the way things had always been done. With more and more persons disembarking at the docks of San Francisco each day, flooding the streets to create a sea of nationalities and races, the Rangers stand apart as incorruptible, treating everyone equally. Though they could not know it now, the Rangers will go down in history alongside European Knights and Japanese Samurai as emblematic of the flower of an entire class of warriors, bound by a code of honor. Everywhere the Rangers travel, law and order increase, and banditry is on the run.

In Nueva Helvetia, governor Wang Long extends his tendrils of power, setting up a Republican Headquarters to serve as a nerve center and base of operations for the entire Republican Party. The mere existence of a headquarters with several paid employees puts the party ahead of all others in terms of organization. Letters and other preparation for a Republican Party Convention, to be held in Downieville in the near future, make great progress, and several important Republicans plan to make their way to this stronghold of the Republicans, to gather and make strategy. Sierra state manages to push through a number of taxes, though they are harder to enforce on the freedom-loving Republican Sierrans than on the stoic Mormons and chastened miners in Nimrod state, and so bring in less income altogether. (Adjustments to Sierra budget)

Dong Reagan quickly, and with the support of the Hudson's Bay Company, completes work on a hospital in San Francisco, catering to all comers. The Heavenly Love Hospital is a great success, the first public hospital in San Francisco, and the first introduction to most Anglos of Chinese medicine, which is exactly as effective as other medicine available in California at this time, but with the added exoticism and mysticism of the Chinese race. Those who enter it find that it also incorporates what the Chinese call 'Western medicine', presumably the theories of Galen and Hippocrates. Through this new hospital however, many people are exposed to what the Chinese call 'The God-worshipper's creed', a kind of Chinese-tinged Christianity with an apocalyptic bent. Many confused foreigners from elsewhere are plied with poorly-translated tracts speaking of Hong Xiuquan, the younger brother of Jesus, who will soon reign over China. A small but fervent core of mostly Anglo Protestants who had failed at mining convert to the new religion, several even taking Chinese wives and names.

From the Governor Don Mariano Vallejo of Dorado state, the foundation of the Aztlan Rangers is applauded in order to combat the threat of two really hot bandit women with fiery Latina blood, however the lack of any formal taxation structure means that the Aztlan Rangers are little more than a jumped up posse, and will be until payment comes to formalize and train the group. With many young men leaving Dorado state to seek gold in Nimrod and Sierra, this might prove somewhat difficult. A plan for a grand church to be build in Los Angeles is put on hold as well, for lack of funds, though the sheer will of Don Vallejo allows a great deal of informal work to be done, with a number of donations making their way to the church as a representation of Dorado's Catholic, Hispanic heritage. Still, 3 wealth further will be needed, as well as the time to complete it.

As the winter wraps up and the chill leaves the air of California, the coming months show that the Republican Party is making strong headway into organizing, as Sutter's newspaper begins printing Republican Party fliers, The publishing of the party platform sets out the Republican Party's issues clearly for everyone to see, and further increases the demand, now nearly overwhelming, for early votes to recognize the changing nature of Californian society in the scant few months since the nation was established.

In Edén state, the governor manages to pass anemic property taxes, which fill the shortfall in the budget, but without the vibrant mining communities of the North and East, and with what may now be California's smallest population, attempts to build a State Capitol building without funds fall flat. The plans are made, the laws passed, but the funds are lacking, and shall be until the basis of a state economy can be created on a firm foundation.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Oops forgot the new map, click for larger version:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Increasing Command of 5 by 1 to 6.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
wow rude I was forgotten????

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Will you be on Discord today?

Adding my +1 to Charisma.

The Golden Eagle Manifesto

Preamble

Up until the current moment, the Golden Eagle Party was content to allow its actions speak for it. From our expansion of the franchise to our Spanish-speaking brethren to our efforts to spur trade and infrastructure development, we have sought to advance our mission of building a stable and prosperous California. Unfortunately, recent events have transpired thus that we must once again introduce ourself to the people of California, that our true purpose be made clear for one and all.

What do we believe in?

First and foremost, we believe in California. A sovereign and independent Nation, standing proudly as equals among every other Civilized Nation. A Nation economically prosperous, welcoming foreign friendship with the open hand, foreign aggression with the closed fist.

We believe in Californian Ingenuity. The Government’s primary role is to protect the people, providing necessary law and order and an environment that fosters economic prosperity and investment. We believe that when so provided for, people will act to advance their own interests, and support actions to enable Californians to succeed. While targeted and effective Government stimulative action is to be encouraged, Unnecessary and harmful government interference in the marketplace is to be avoided.

We believe in Stability and Common Sense. We reject both the paths of reactionaryism and radicalism, and instead advocate the tortoise’s path, the slow but steady path that ultimately wins the race. Peace and calm bring immigration and investment - both, so long as managed correctly, ultimately contributing to the further development of our nation. Through a path of steady progress, we avoid both the excesses of the French Revolution and the Thermidor that followed it. As we slowly develop the land, so too shall we develop a national character - of steely optimism and a determination to overcome the myriad challenges of life.

We believe in Equality Under the Law. A functioning and impartial legal system is the foundation of a modern civilized society, and a Government must apply the law equally to have full legitimacy in the eyes of all the population. Any who meet the requirements of and pursue citizenship should be welcomed with an outstretched hand, any wishing in good faith to advance the cause of California should be encouraged to do so. Men and Women of all Races, especially our Californio brethren who comprise such a large part of our population, should be encouraged to participate to their fullest desire in the grand Californian Experiment. Freedom of Religion too, so long as it does not seek primacy or supremacy over the Civil laws of California, should be allowed to flourish as well.

We believe in Fair Trade and Fair Taxes. An overly mercantilist position leads to corruption and economic inefficiency, both of which are to be avoided in this modern era. However, we are not blind, and are fully cognizant of the base nature of our economy, and will support efforts to establish Necessary and Vital Industries native to California. On the necessary evil of Taxation, we support such limited taxes as prove necessary to fund the Public’s Works.

We believe in Free States and an Effective Central Government
We believe strongly in the Federal System adopted during the recent Constitutional Convention, and the necessary and proper roles of both State and Federal Government. The Central Government, while never an all-powerful behemoth, must maintain the power and efficiency required to adequately perform its duties - lest the mistakes of the Articles of Confederation be repeated.

Conclusion

In short, California, the Golden Eagle Party seeks to give every Californian the opportunity to pursue their goals. We welcome all interested parties across California to inquire further about how we can work together to form a free and prosperous California for the generations to come.

Opportunity
Stability
Prosperity

Join the Golden Eagles today!

(Spend X (3?) AP getting the GEP established as a party - SF HQ, branch offices in Moroni, Eden, Los Angeles, fliers, newspaper ads, etc.)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 27, 2016

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Travel: San Diego -> Los Angeles -> Monterey -> San Francisco
3 APs (600 Miles) MAPLINK

Create Postal Agent Administration in visited cities.
(1-5) APs (Pending FSAD), 1 Wealth
-> Hire and staff the beginnings of the Postal Agency with the wealth gained from Postal Bonds last turn, hoping to keep an administration staff paid and in coordination.

Enforce Postal Service Rights in visited cities.
(1-5) APs (Pending FSAD)
-> Attempt to generate additional postal revenue by enforcing the Senate-granted limited monopoly. For now, simply approach local markets and issue license contracts in exchange for the increased coordination and access to the national Agent Administration. Indicate where possible the Service will continue to work with local delivery businesses who foment a good relationship now, while private services who do not will move to the top of the list when eventual fines begin for non-competition enforcement of the granted monopoly.

Talk to Mr. Percival Thorpe
1 AP
-> Have a conversation with the visiting Brit.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Senator Elliot Harding

Raising my Command to 3.

With the upheaval largely quelled in his hometown, Senator Harding dispatches his long suffering head of staff, Lucius Nixon, to travel to Jefferson and find what freedmen and ex-slaves there that he can so they can be convinced to settle in Downieville. Arrangements are made for an escort of two guards to accompany Nixon during this time. He can be seen in town writing up pamphlets and practicing his oratory, using Harding as a coach, before leaving. (Spending 3 AP on this.)

Before he departs, Nixon also sends off a letter to John Sutter, the contents of which shall be known only to the recipient himself.

With things in Downieville more or less settled, Harding begins to recruit among the more transient miners of the town for a special venture: he means to go prospecting near Lake Tahoe, about 60 miles away, and search for another lode of gold or silver. He consults notes from John Fremont and Kit Carson's original travels in drawing his plans, and letters to both men are sent seeking their counsel (invitations to join him are also included.)

It cannot escape notice that the overwhelming majority of the men Harding recruits are negroes.

After a week or two of preparation, Harding departs with the prospectors, leaving orders in Downieville that he is to be summoned back immediately if anything of great import happens in the Californian Senate. (Spend 5 AP to organize and embark upon a prospecting expedition to Lake Tahoe - the location is only 60 miles away from Downieville, so use one of those APs for travel if necessary.)

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

wow rude I was forgotten????

On the outskirts of Moroni, a new farmer plants wheat in February. The crop fails to germinate in the chilly weather. His sandwich, however, is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:arghfist:

• Locked thread