Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa beat the holy hell out of Nebraska and I watched with my grandpa and it was very fun! Congrats to Mike Riley for getting his team back to the level of Nebraska Coaching Legend Bo Pelini, I'm sure they fanbase will be very happy and understanding.

Also OSU has more good wins than pretty much anyone in the country and their only loss was to another very good team in a game where they outgained them but lost on a blocked kick, they should definitely be in. The Big Ten divisions are very stupid (but also should remain the same forever because Iowa was a Minnesota collapse away from inexplicably tying for one of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

An interesting factor in the FSU dynamic is that Dalvin constantly swears his brother is way better than him at the same age

this has been said about every younger sibling of a good player ever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

that navy line seems really low to me but I guess i haven't watched a ton of temple recently

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Hawaii is going bowling yall

That seriously is amazing, they looked like they were going to be in the running for worst FBS team going into the year.

Iowa is somehow ranked again! I have no idea how that happened but yaaay

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That seems low to me too considering Temple got rolled by Army to start the year. They have been playing a lot better recently, so hopefully they figured out the triple option by now

I know OkSt never wins Bedlam, but 14 point dogs? ouch

Navy's offense has also quietly been one of the best in the country, especially for the last month or so. I know it's hard to commit to the triple option but I really hope someone gives their OC a look for HC job this offseason. They are a thing of beauty when they're really humming, and they have been this year, despite losing their best QB since, like, Staubach.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DrunkPanda posted:

How the hell is Nebraska still ranked?

Above an Iowa team that just beat them by 30 in one poll. Although Iowa being ranked is also weird. There are not very many good teams this year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan fans thinking that it's bad to aspire to be a program that wins lots of national title actually explains a lot. Like why they loved Bo so much.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

This seems weird now, but Bo's main goal was to win the Big Ten, and did not really care about national titles. The philosophy was to play a ton of hard teams in the preseason, the Big Ten season was the real season, and the goal at the end was to win the conference and play in the Rose Bowl. (Not win the Rose Bowl, play in the Rose Bowl.)

Schembechler never admitted to wanting a national title until after the basketball team won the 1989 national championship, then thought a national title might be fun.

Lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I distinctly remember you saying something similar. Not so much about not caring abut natty's but how the Rose Bowl was the only thing that matters for a long time because The B1G was full of morons

I've said it was better than winning a championship a bunch of times but it's as a (I assumed obvious but here we are) joke. I do genuinely think that the Rose Bowl is extremely cool and it's probably pretty close to the most realistic upper bound of what Iowa can do, but that doesn't mean I actually think it's secretely better than being an Alabama or OSU level program.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 28, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Didn't Coach O sell LSU on bringing Kiffin in as OC?

Thats reportedly who he plans to go after but Kiffin has a really good job already and will probably have a chance at yet another HC job somewhere if he wants it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Goddammit the CUSA title game (which will have like 150 combined points and be the best championship game) is on at 9am pacific/noon eastern. Counterprogram the trash-rear end SEC Title game with that poo poo, ESPN, come on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Overall, yeah, but far as I can tell they always weighted conference championships the most heavily.

E: at least as their public announcements go, anyway. I have no doubt OSU's probably among the 4 best teams.

The playoff has existed for two years it is maybe a little early to say that they've "always" done anything. This year's OSU team has a way better resume that the 2014 TCU team that everyone is using to make this point

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

let OSU in but only on the condition they renounce their 2014 championship as unjust since TCU should've gotten in over them by this year's criteria

alternatively send psu, osu and michigan so no one's feelings are hurt in the big 10, home of champions*

*in michigan's case, one shared championship in the last 65 years

This year's OSU team has beaten much better teams than that TCU team did

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 29, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think there's a pretty easy argument to make that they're still the best team in their division/conference when you look at the season as a whole

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I'm firmly in the Conference Champions Only camp.

Sometimes really good teams lose games and their shot at titles. It happens--but subjectively overriding the results on the field is really dumb.

assuming a team is better because of one game also seems dumb to me. is penn state worse than Pitt? Or for that matter why is Penn State better than a Michigan team that demolished them?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Looking at the season as a whole rather than one game does not really seem super controversial to me. OSU beat 3 teams in the Top 8 and another in the Top 25. They lost to another Top 8 team on the road, on a flukey blocked kick in a game where they probably on balance the better team. Penn State beating OSU is one data point to consider, but it doesn't need to be the only one. That's being overly simplistic and needlessly naive about how sports work. The better team doesn't necessarily win any given game

Penn State is only in the conference title game because the borderline top 25 team they lost to (Pitt) is in the ACC while the borderline Top 25 team Michigan lost to (Iowa) was in the Big Ten. That doesn't really seem to have anything to do with how they rank in college football as a whole.

College football has over 100 teams and a 12 game season. At some point if you're gonna try to decide a champion you're gonna have to make some subjective judgements that go beyond head to head.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

i can't read this because every time I see the title my eyes roll uncontrollably

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Iowa hadn't beaten Michigan, OSU is in the conference title game. It feels like Ohio State should not be ineligible for the national title because Iowa's punter had a really good game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This is one of the most bizarre arguments I've ever seen. I mean, obviously Ohio State is one of the top 4 teams in the country, but they're not in the title game because they lost to Penn State and thus lost a head to head tiebreaker.

Penn State wouldn't be in the title game if <the 500000 things that happened in the Michigan/OSU game> had went differently. Should they have been rewarded if JT Barrett was marked short? They wouldn't have had any different of a season. Clearly still deserving of that Big 10 title and a birth in the CFP.

Hey, if PSU and Ohio State had both lost one other game, and they were both incredibly close to doing so on multiple occasions, Michigan might be in the Big 10 title game. Send them to the playoff. Why should they be punished because Mark Dantonio stupidly had Tyler O'Connor throw it on a 2 point conversion?

My whole point is that any one single data point shouldn't be the determining factor and that you need to consider the season in its entirety

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

I will never argue whether or not Penn State or Wisconsin deserves to get into the playoff based on being Big Ten Champion. It's that it sounds ridiculous to say Ohio State's the better team so they get to go and despite the fact that they didn't win the enough games, thus directly challenging that they're "better."

The better team wouldn't have ended up with a blocked field goal and fewer points at the end of the game. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Why? Teams lose to worse teams all the time. Penn State let Pitt run for like 700 yards on them and lost. Alabama lost to Ole Miss last year and then won the title. Michigan beat Penn State by 39 and then lost to an Iowa team that Penn State beat by 27. One game samples are not as clean and perfect as we want them to be, and throwing out the rest of the season because of one blocked kick is dumb.

Penn State getting run all over by a middling ACC team or OSU blowing the door off the probable Big XII champion obviously don't matter in terms of who wins the Big Ten, but I'm not sure why that means we should also ignore them when it comes to deciding the champion of the whole sport.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 29, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

lmao - this is awesome

No wait i actually agree with this. Only count what happened recently. Iowa to the Rose Bowl again woooo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

We need to study their 4th quarter offense first.

I know they definitely scored at least 3 points

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I don't think anyone is explicitly saying you're disqualified with a bad loss. I know I'm not saying that, although it happens to be true of the Ohio St deal this year w the tiebreaker loss to PSU.

Whatever it's dumb, messy and illogical.

It just feels dirty to crown a champ that couldn't even win it's division. If you aren't the best team in your small division of your conference and didn't even have to play/win a championship game for that conference, how can you be selected by eye test for a championship playoff?

But it doesn't matter. There will always be controversy and we will all have conflicting opinions.

Because the nation is bigger than just that division and we can count things that happened outside the conference. It's not like Ohio State was awful in conference play, they (barely) lost one game. Same as most of the other teams in playoff contention. Their division just had more good teams than most.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Why are you so mean?

Look I spent most of the season watching my team be trash and will probably watch them get crushed in a bowl game, let me enjoy myself now that they're suddenly doing good things

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It stops feeling dirty if you take like 10 seconds to look at the specifics of the situation rather than just going "no conference title=NO" automatically without putting any further thought into it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

Not really if you actually consider the power 5 bias for teams that hold a championship game

The what? Are you talking about 2014 TCU? Because like i said those are different situations

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jalen Hurts against even a bad NFL secondary would get really ugly, but I don't think anyone here seriously buys the Bama against a NFL team thing so this is all very much preaching to the choir

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

People are hung up on the sandusky thing both because it was a sickening crime and because the PSU fanbase is still such a loving cult for Paterno that they still refuse to believe he did any wrong.

they literally had a Joe Paterno appreciation day this season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rad Valtar posted:

So I think Peppers is a great overall player but naming him Linebacker of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year is a joke right?

purely as a defensive player he's like maybe the third or fourth best on his team, it's really dumb. He's an amazing athlete and overall player but he shouldn't even be first team all big ten as a linebacker.

Josey Jewell somehow is a Butkus finalist but not first team all conference because sure

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 30, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

That's a reminder that getting to play games against Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan State probably did a lot to help those other three teams look pretty awesome. The only Big Ten wins that those four teams had other than between themselves were Indiana and Maryland over Purdue.

As opposed to the murderer's row of Iowa State, Kansas, Texas, and Texas Tech.

The top Big Ten teams also beat the best Big XII team, the Pac 12 South Champ, and LSU in the nonconference. And the first two were not especially close

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 30, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Urbz running all over Saban again would also be real funny but there's no way. This Bama title is somehow even more inevitable and soul crushing than all the others

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

I dunno, those Notre Dame and LSU Alabama-titles were less fun so far

Nah those years they either lost or came close a few times. This has just been one long unstoppable death march where they play more or less the exact same game every week. I guess Ole Miss was fun for a bit but there they just condensed their usual game into a quarter. Otherwise I can't even imagine a non-Bama fan actually watching and enjoying an entire Alabama game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the mean lunch lady posted:

I enjoyed all of the Bama-Notre Dame championship game

I wasn't talking about this season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Bama-LSU was entertaining and competitive until fairly late in the game. Both those teams do this cool thing on defense where a defender will sort of run into the ballcarrier and wrestle them to the ground. Never seen anything like it.

It was obvious like two minutes into the game that LSU couldn't move the ball on them at all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

korrandark posted:

:agreed: only if it's followed by Stone Cold's Disturbed theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzKtfX_mLhs

I have probated people for less than this :mad:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
are there any other big ten fans who are real passionate about guard play because I'm mad about Sean Welsh getting bumped all the way to third team all conference and willing to fight about it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Are players usually satisfied with the prospect of starting one year . Or do they want to play all three years. Or does it depend.

Like how can Alabama recruit 4 different ***** rbs. Do they tell them they will play at least one year ?

people who are that good at football think they can win the starting job

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hurts isn't a very good passer yet but he doesn't gently caress up a ton and creates a few big plays a game with his legs and that's really all Bama needs out of him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Ahh, I remembered that National Championship game, I'd forgotten that it was that same year OU got trounced by KSU.

Michael Bishop was probably KSU's best player ever right? Or maybe Martin Gramatica.

It's Sproles.

E: beaten kinda but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

McCarron and McElroy had that Ken Dorsey Force of Nature Inevitability Quality where if they got the ball back you knew they could distribute it well enough to do whatever needed to happen to win.

Like whenever Derek Bell used to play the Braves. Seemed like he got a gamewinning hit every loving time.

McCarron shouldn't have been a Heisman candidate but he was really good and people here went way too far the other direction because of the media overrating him a bit. He was better than most of the other Saban QBs by a pretty decent margin (although McElroy's senior year was really good too)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 2, 2016

• Locked thread