Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Washington should obviously be in over Wisconsin/Penn State. If Colorado wins then they should put Michigan in and match them up in a rematch with Ohio State so I can finally have my revenge for that loving miserable Alabama/LSU rematch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Detroit_Dogg posted:

ACTUALLY all the michigan fans I know would like to point out that michigan didn't lose, the refs stole the game from them. namaste

Coincidentally, all the MSU fans I know would like to talk about Michigan losing because their team loving sucks and got steamrolled again yesterday

Michigan lost 2 games, both on the road, both on the last play of the game, one in double overtime against the #2 team in the country. Beat both Big 10 division champs and a Pac 10 division champ. Yeah, our fans are crying about it, but that's still a hell of a season. It's too bad they went into a shell and Wilton Speight forgot how to pass against Iowa or they'd easily be in the playoff. gently caress you Mourningview and any other possibly existing Iowa fans :colbert:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually we like to talk about Michigan losing any time it happens no matter how our team is doing, because the collective meltdown of people like you is hilarious every single time.

It's quite a meltdown indeed, especially the parts where I commented on the offense losing the game and it still being a good season. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, Ohio State fans would have calmly accepted the loss and not reacted at all. Same if MSU lost to Michigan in such a fashion.

MSU's endless chip on the shoulder inferiority complex even after you dominated the rivalry for most of a decade and went to the playoff last year has to get boring eventually, right? No? Carry on then, I'm sure getting plastered by everyone again next year will lead to lots of opportunities to talk about Michigan instead of your own team.

And no, obviously the spot was way too close to argue about it being ruled either way, the awful DPI calls are the only thing really worth complaining about. I also hate that the Big 10 literally does not call holding on o-linemen anymore, but over the course of the season that surely benefited Michigan a lot given our lovely o-line. It says a lot about how good Michigan and Ohio State were defensively that they played as well as they did all season given how slanted the rules are against defense now.

Rad Valtar posted:

It's not that egregious of a spot. If the ref missed it then it was by maybe 6 inches. We all have an understanding that spots are rarely exact and if replay isn't conclusive then there is nothing to be done. The missed PI on Michigan's possession was worse but everyone is making a big deal about the spot on 4th down because it's the last thing they remember.

The reason Michigan fans are so mad about that call is simple; It would have been an incredible rivalry defining moment for the game to end on a matter of inches like that after an amazing day of defense by both teams, but especially Michigan given how last year went. If you had asked every Michigan fan how they would have liked the game to end (and ruled out 500-0) that would have been about perfect. So of course they had an emotional reaction. I agree that there was no way to overturn it, and there's just as much chance the call was right as wrong.

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 28, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Detroit_Dogg posted:

michigan fans complete lack of understanding about rivalries and hatred is the best and i am very confused as to how they collectively haven't figured it out yet but I'm not going to complain

Your pretend ignorance of how this rivalry works in the state is pretty funny, but you know exactly what I'm talking about. Yes, if Ohio State lost in hilarious fashion, I would post about it (in fact I'm sure I did when they lost to PSU!) but there are A LOT of MSU fans in the state who talk more about Michigan losing than they do about their own team winning. Everything they do is weighted with regards to how it might impact Michigan or the game against Michigan. Mark Dantonio is the living embodiment of this spirit.

Your entire lovely brand of trolling is completely based on playing up this stereotype. I assumed you were self aware (given your Lions fandom) about this and having fun with it, but sometimes I wonder if you're actually just one of those 'fans'.

I mean, your coach literally went for 2 late in the game, removing the tiny .00001% chance you had to win the game, solely to "prove a point". Your team spends half the offseason tweeting Michigan players about the upcoming game and how tough they are. Your QB makes up a story after the game about how a Michigan player admitted MSU was the tougher team to try to save face. Your coach never shuts up about a lack of respect from Michigan and blah blah blah

It's sad. It reminds me of Brady Hoke insisting on calling OSU "Ohio" while getting clowned on them every year. Except it never ends, even when you're winning.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's too bad that it's only the good posters who have all left this forum instead of the bad ones like Detroit Dogg and myself.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Fundamentally, every MSU fan and player's greatest wish is to become Ohio State.

The equivalent for Michigan is to beat Ohio State. Both of these dreams do appear to be impossible, but at least one of them actually relates to something their own team is doing, not how they relate to their rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

If Iowa hadn't beaten Michigan, OSU is in the conference title game. It feels like Ohio State should not be ineligible for the national title because Iowa's punter had a really good game

This is one of the most bizarre arguments I've ever seen. I mean, obviously Ohio State is one of the top 4 teams in the country, but they're not in the title game because they lost to Penn State and thus lost a head to head tiebreaker.

Penn State wouldn't be in the title game if <the 500000 things that happened in the Michigan/OSU game> had went differently. Should they have been rewarded if JT Barrett was marked short? They wouldn't have had any different of a season. Clearly still deserving of that Big 10 title and a birth in the CFP.

Hey, if PSU and Ohio State had both lost one other game, and they were both incredibly close to doing so on multiple occasions, Michigan might be in the Big 10 title game. Send them to the playoff. Why should they be punished because Mark Dantonio stupidly had Tyler O'Connor throw it on a 2 point conversion?

• Locked thread