Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I've found more fun with some of the variant servers, including Stardust, doing new things while retaining to varying degrees the stuff I like about pre-CU SWG. As a non-Stardust example, Empire in Flames turned the profession system upside down and made the planetary control metagame a series of ongoing structured PvP events rather than base spam. Stardust has genuinely nice combat updates and a lot of custom content steadily coming out. There's some servers on the wings now that are continuing this trend of highly diverging from Bas / pre-CU orthodoxy.

The SWG emu scene is shockingly alive and active, even if Basilisk is a stagnate pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I don't know why they don't reset bas tbh. They claim it's a test server only but yet you need people to test poo poo. They rarely break 1k people now when they used to be pushing max capacity.

About a year ago, they had some big problem with their HD's or something and a full wipe was a real possibility. I know loads of people who were pumped to come back to a refresh economy. I highly doubt they get more than a handful a month of people who are new on their server that actually stick around due to the fact everyone is rich and people only buy stuff using the best resources.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So I went over to SWGEmu forums to have a read to see what's new since i've not been there in a loooong time. I copy and pasted their staff quotes for the end of the year report. Seems there is a chance they may release 1.0 this year. Probably not but maybe. Also, read their P.S. at the end. Could be an early April fools but you never know....

Lordkator - DevOps Engineer
This year we ran into some financial challenges and the community stepped up in a way that invigorated our staff. In my mind 2018 was the year of getting organized, thinking about where we are and where we are going. I see 2019 as the year of hope, we're starting to look beyond the 1.0 release and thinking about what comes next. I've been coding a bit more now and I'm playing the game with my wife and taking lots of notes on what sucks and what feels like fun.

I think my biggest observation from 2018 is that none of us played SWG. We all played our own game in a framework created by SWG. Many of us felt betrayed when that framework was broken and we lost the ability to carve our own story out of the game. As a team, we've done a lot of soul searching on this topic. I'm excited to think deeply on this topic with such a great team. I'm inspired by our staff and our community and that inspires me to invest more energy towards our future vision.

Farelli - Quality Assurance
Another year completed. Three years on the project now for me. Time really does fly when you're having fun.

Thanks to our community, which supports and rallies behind this project and the staff repeatedly. You all are the reason we do this.

Thanks to our staff, who make every day working on this project an absolute blast. I continue to learn from all of you.

Finally, thanks to our founders, without whom this project might never have existed.

To infinity and beyond!

Hakry - Quality Assurance
Though many community members have not yet seen the hard work that has gone into the project throughout 2018, there has been some amazing changes throughout the year.

It is an honor to work with the current group of individuals that make up our team and I expect only the best of things from us all as we move forward. Another year lays ahead of us, with the project ever drawing nearer to our long awaited goal.

Thank you everyone for your hard work, dedication, patience and perseverance. Also a big thank you for the community stepping up to support the project in the times of need, so we may continue to pursue the dream.

Bigevil - Community Relations
Another year comes to a close and again the community has shown repeated solidarity and a desire to see their passion continue. Several times we were faced with difficult circumstances and odds that could have put us down. All of you showed your true colors as always and rallied around staff and other community members to prove what I have known for a very long time.... this community is solid. We may not be 100k strong, we may be fairly niche, but those that are here, are here are here for all the right reasons. Keep testing and playing and helping to refine the amazing product the staff and contributors have put together. We are getting ever closer!

You guys and gals are great. Here's to a great year moving closer toward our goals! Ever forward!
Vlada - Admin

Another year behind us. Sigh...

Lolindir - Forums Lead Moderator
Another year done! We are so close to the end... I feel 2019 might be the year! Well, we will see

Closing

When the chips were down and we were in financial trouble the community stepped up and kicked donations into high gear. If we can continue to hit our 100% goal each month we will have a good financial foundation to keep our services running while we move the project forward. Thank you all for the vote of confidence. We realize not everyone can donate money and we appreciate all contributions monetary or not. We always need people to track down bugs, test new ideas, there are many ways to contribute. Think about how you could contribute in 2019 and reach out to us with your ideas.

Much of our progress this year has been quiet and behind the scenes, we've been able to make our deployment processes more automated; we've had amazing discussions about what we think SWG is to the community and each of us as individuals. We're thinking deeply about the future of this project beyond the 1.0 release. Many of us are reading books, forum posts, old posts from the CURB discussions, we are regularly looking for input that will help us shape the future of the game for our community. We've engaged industry vets on these topics and we've continued to hone our thinking.

In 2019 you will see us push out more pub's that will get us closer to the 1.0 release and we will engage the community in a discussion about our vision for what happens next.

PS: We will wipe Basilisk on April 1, 2019... "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Concerning wipe

:reddit: posted:

You realise these guys faked a staff member’s death on April fools 2018 ? They don’t give a poo poo about your wipe and are just flexing their own poor humour again
From https://old.reddit.com/r/swgemu/comments/ai64k6/basilisk_is_wiping_april_first_2019/

https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209493

So I'm 99.99% sure it's a "joke" in poor taste

Strotski fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2019

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
hosed up thing is that a wipe is the one thing that would truly help basilisk and most of it's community. Problem is SWGEmu listens to a small cadre of their finest donation whales.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like I'm in a terrible minority when I say, as a combat-focused player, I genuinely enjoyed the CU more than pre-CU. I felt like playing the game was more dynamic and less grind-y overall. A perfect world, to me, would be a blend of the CU's combat and an EVE-like economy, all set in a star wars universe. I don't like most modern MMOs where you, the lowly player, are the BIG HERO SAVING THE WORLD, then the next guy in line for the quest becomes the BIG HERO, too. Lemme save this rear end in a top hat kid's life and move on with my existence (shooting bad guys, or "bad guys"), leave defeating the emperor for some scrubby moisture farmer with wizard powers.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SoUncool posted:

I feel like I'm in a terrible minority when I say, as a combat-focused player, I genuinely enjoyed the CU more than pre-CU. I felt like playing the game was more dynamic and less grind-y overall. A perfect world, to me, would be a blend of the CU's combat and an EVE-like economy, all set in a star wars universe. I don't like most modern MMOs where you, the lowly player, are the BIG HERO SAVING THE WORLD, then the next guy in line for the quest becomes the BIG HERO, too. Lemme save this rear end in a top hat kid's life and move on with my existence (shooting bad guys, or "bad guys"), leave defeating the emperor for some scrubby moisture farmer with wizard powers.

I too enjoyed the CU more. I think this is pretty well reflected on Stardust.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I did yet another thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Cd0rzop-M

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They won’t ever wipe Basilisk don’t be dumb.

I’ve been patiently waiting for a feature complete Pre-CU emu since 2006 not bothering with any other EMUs and as soon as Suncrusher drops I expect there to be a huge surge of people rushing to play and I’ll be there. I expect that to last for about a year before things stagnate and then I feel like I can quit and finally close the book on that part of my life.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve been patiently waiting for a feature complete Pre-CU emu since 2006 not bothering with any other EMUs and as soon as Suncrusher drops I expect there to be a huge surge of people rushing to play and I’ll be there. I expect that to last for about a year before things stagnate and then I feel like I can quit and finally close the book on that part of my life.

I played for a while on Basilisk a few years back (early 2014?) and it really scratched that itch for me. Goontown was good with its buffbots and vendors. Pre-CU SWG did social and crafting so well for its era. Something about wandering out deep into the wastes, beyond the sight of anyone else, to survey and plant extractors was so neat. Its combat was really wonky but charming in a way. I think the game had an appeal because it always felt like content was hiding just around the corner (it wasn't!).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I keep hearing people getting excited about Star Wars Galaxies

Edge. And I get baited into being excited for a second every time.

Sakura-hime
Jul 6, 2019
It's great to see the emu is still around. I was involved with it back before they even had a working ai. Seems it has come a long way since those days.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I go on vacation and come back and Stardust must have died a terrible death despite Levarris saying it was shutting down September 1st.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
So is swg emu the last project going?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
There's Legends if you're into NGE.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I wish they didn't require separate sets of cds to play from the same house, not sure how much that's enforced. It's not like it's easily purchased anymore. Probably would have had a longer stay on bas if I could bring my s/o with me.

Also I popped in the bas irc the other day and it's a hella ghost town. They must have moved on to discord.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
At 10.30am EST, 719 people were online. Uptime 2 weeks and max player count was 1016. I think it's fair to say that at least 50% of the player count at any given time is some form of automation.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

HiriseSoftware posted:

I go on vacation and come back and Stardust must have died a terrible death despite Levarris saying it was shutting down September 1st.

RIP stardust

Still perpetually looking forward to Suncrusher at least.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

BromanderData posted:

RIP stardust

Still perpetually looking forward to Suncrusher at least.

A community calling itself the "Minions of Darkness" (ok, yeah) is starting a server that's going to be based on Stardust's code, so that's sometime to watch for. I enjoyed my time on Stardust and getting to Jedi was exciting and nostalgic (I hadn't done that since 2004) and helping to build the community was great but after completing my template I got bored and moved on to other games. My only regret is not trying to get my Aurilian plant to grow, I kept it hidden away (I killed mine on live :( )

I'll probably at least create a character on this new server at some point. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of activity on their Discord though, but they are in beta testing.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 18, 2019

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
That Stardust-based server is open now, it's called "SWG: Afterlife" I'm not sure what changes they've made from Stardust. The "glowing" process for Jedi is different though from what I hear.

http://swg.nitewolfgames.com

If you have the Stardust client still, I think you should be able to use that application folder.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

tbh gently caress these 'custom' servers. SWG's remaining playerbase is small and dwindling as it is we don't need 50 people and their 200 alts splitting off to other communities. if population isn't there it aint fun plain and simple

i hope when suncrusher comes out they make it like live where you could only have 2 characters i think? I only ever played during NGE but i spent a long time on Nova when it was kill every loving mob in the game for Jedi and Bas before it became afk alt hell

SWG: Legends is pretty fun for space combat and has a live-like pop

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Ok so I got nostalgia today and logged into my old Basi characters... Zaroff, Double oh Seven, Vonqueesha, Ghirardelli, Goonbraham Lincoln...

Which one of you brave, stoic literal gods has kept the MANTINA and St Lowtax' Malpractice Clinic paid for for 7 Years ??? There are still Ghirardelli dishes on the bar as if it were yesterday... :peanut:

In honour of the placard of the battle of Windsor still existing, I give you this treatise from the days in the trenches. Thank you brave soul

- a goon contemplates the meaning of slain conqueror goonbraham lincoln (2013)

e: changed some verbiage because in hindsight woof

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcWfrfz2fY

Help me MMOHMO, you're my only hope

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
swg might be star wars but I don't think anyone here wants anything to do with those people in that subforum

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Goast posted:

swg might be star wars but I don't think anyone here wants anything to do with those people in that subforum

:yikes:

Ludovic
May 13, 2006

Tastes like... victory.
Told a coworker about SWG and that it has free servers now. Went to look at getting into it. I literally last played the retail version it in 2004 or so. My Cd's have long been in a landfill somewhere. Everyone is tippy tapping around the :filez: issue I guess cuz they don't wanna get sued by Disney or something. Is there any easy way to get into this poo poo for WoW players. Actually asking for a friend.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im playing this poo poo for reasons unknown to even myself and I was hoping there was a secret goon presence ruling everything like in eve or whatever. (total mmo casual). anyway I guess im having fun shooting pirates and killing bugs

sorry for the necro

e: its legends

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Goontown revival a few years ago on Basilisk is still one of my gaming highlights. Hopefully after SWGEmu hits 1.0 and Basilisk is replaced with Suncrusher there'll be another one.

Fond memories of a lucrative architecture/interior design business, and of chasing down unauthorized sharnaff hunters on Corellia as a member of S.H.I.T.S. And of course, who could forget the infamous Battle of Windsor and the Wag-The-Dogging of Quahog.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Dominance through competency! The goons will rise again.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Ludovic posted:

Told a coworker about SWG and that it has free servers now. Went to look at getting into it. I literally last played the retail version it in 2004 or so. My Cd's have long been in a landfill somewhere. Everyone is tippy tapping around the :filez: issue I guess cuz they don't wanna get sued by Disney or something. Is there any easy way to get into this poo poo for WoW players. Actually asking for a friend.

People will tiptoe around the :filez: issue for SWGemu because they think Lowtax’s prostitution fund is large enough already.
So speaking very generally, some people in this world choose to commit the serious crime of software piracy. I can’t imagine the sort of places they congregate, and would hate to think of the variety of software that they might have stolen and be distributing.

On topic, I’m still hoping that the mythical suncrusher arrives someday so I can sequester myself away for eons, nostalgically mining minerals and crafting paper mache armor in my space house.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
apparently they're "on the road to post 1.0" and as of February they're transitioning to beta? Maybe with the world-wide quarantine, people will have more time to work on it. So we might see it finished in 2030 instead of 2040.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SoUncool posted:

apparently they're "on the road to post 1.0"

its been that way for over half a decade tbh

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
A fresh start and a limit on characters and building slots would revive my interest in the game - at least for a while. They need to find a way to deal with item and resource bloat.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
If Suncrusher actually comes out, I will run in the election for the Mayor of GoonTown 2.0. As long as you all promise to not put your houses right outside the bloody cantina.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I'm putting mine inside the cantina.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I'm just gonna live on the stoop of the cantina. like a hobo.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Erev posted:

A fresh start and a limit on characters and building slots would revive my interest in the game - at least for a while. They need to find a way to deal with item and resource bloat.

crank up the decay rate of armor and weapons :getin:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Goast posted:

crank up the decay rate of armor and weapons :getin:

Yeah kinda.

The biggest problem is the supply massively outweighs the demand in an entirely player driven economy. The problem with most solutions is you can’t (easily) enforce a way to recreate the natural barriers of the game. So while you can crank up decay a bunch, you still have crafters capable of single handedly supplying the entire populations of most servers from a resource standpoint. The only reasons competition exist are convenience (x shop is much closer) and real world time spent for said crafting. Well that and you can’t completely shut someone out of a resource I guess.

Since building slots are virtually infinite, you eliminate the limits of resource hoarding and gathering as long as the credit generation can keep up with the maintenance demands. And the credit-positive life of a suit of armor and weapon has got to be in the trillions of credits.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Limit character slots is the main thing really. I had 2 accounts with 190 harvesters rolling whenever good stuff spawned. That kinda thing kills markets as you can sit on millions of top end mats for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, too many accounts, too much opportunity to harvest resources. Gotta cripple the supply to up the demand. Wouldn't mind cutting down the overall powercreep of armor qualities, too. But I suppose that's just about impossible to implement.