Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Ahdinko posted:

I was the person who got mad that they added jedi as a base class as i did the entire loving village grind like a month before

I also have fond memories of JTL, I'd like to give that a shot again. I think they said for Stella Bellum there's a 7 character limit so you can have whatever you want, and IIRC pilot skills are trainable with other classes too so you can be a pilot bounty hunter mans. Didn't they have atmospheric flight near the end of SWG too?

Nope. No atmospheric flight that I saw, though I missed the last day due to work. I had multiple accounts, so I pretty much had one of each combat class, and fully trained pilots in each faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, atmospheric flight was in for the last few months. Once it was known the game was shutting down the devs naturally got some leeway to fool around, and as I recall it had been a bit of a pet side-project for one of the guys. It actually worked fairly well. I'm sad Stella Bellum won't be including it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I haven't seen Rogue One, yet, but here's what I've come to appreciate about SWG.

Takes place between Eps 4 and 5
Features a Pole-arm wielding class that was fun as hell (Pikeman)
Features droids you can use in combat to help you
Darth Vader would occasionally appear in live events to send his minions after rebels
It's Star Warsy but has a very different actual atmosphere than the Star Wars films that existed at the time including the use of viable weapons and tactics as yet unseen in Star Wars films
Does not directly involve the canon heroes as primary characters
As a rebel player, you can score minor victories but you'll never actually defeat the Empire

Basically, 13 years ago, SOE created Rogue One: The MMO.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I wish we had Rogue One when Star Wars Galaxies was developed. Would've given them some inspiration for polearm/teras kasi users and maybe they would have set it in that timeline (where they could've done cool force sensitive stuff on Jedha).

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I remember a fair number of players complaining that they didn't feel like big important heroes, but for my friends and I that was the whole point.

You were just one of the dudes in the background, living your life in the most interesting period of the Star Wars universe.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I wish we had Rogue One when Star Wars Galaxies was developed. Would've given them some inspiration for polearm/teras kasi users and maybe they would have set it in that timeline (where they could've done cool force sensitive stuff on Jedha).

And most importantly, more cool outfit options.

Edit: also, Baze's heavy repeater would have been a dope Commando weapon.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 20, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Didn't they have atmospheric flight near the end of SWG too?

It won't be in initially, the leaked source is the state the game was in in April 2010. There is some content missing, such as the nightsister centric quest lines that were added that summer, the Rare Loot System, Atmospheric Flight, and a few other ships to fly in JTL such as the TIE Defender.

These things will be added down the road.

TerminalSaint posted:

I remember a fair number of players complaining that they didn't feel like big important heroes, but for my friends and I that was the whole point.

You were just one of the dudes in the background, living your life in the most interesting period of the Star Wars universe.

And most importantly, more cool outfit options.

Edit: also, Baze's heavy repeater would have been a dope Commando weapon.

You can still be some random dude in the background tbh. That all depends on you and whether you want to dive into roleplaying or not. As for cool outfit options, this point of the NGE has what's called the Appearance Tab. Which is a precursor to Transmogrification in WoW essentially. Don't like the look of that old composite armor (Example, but don't worry there are many other options to wear armor wise now anyway)? Appearance Tab can make it look like you are running around in just a pair of hot pants if that is what you want to look like in that big world out there and still have all the benefits of your fully socketed set of armor.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
On an alternative note...

Do we want to be Imperial or Rebel this time around?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I've always leaned towards imperial because tie fighters make a cool noise and stormtroopers have a way cooler outfit than rebel soldiers who get cycling helmets and waist coats

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

I've always leaned towards imperial because tie fighters make a cool noise and stormtroopers have a way cooler outfit than rebel soldiers who get cycling helmets and waist coats

Same.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

Imp. Always imp, except for 1 alt maybe. Useful to have an opposite faction alt some times. Maybe name my reb alt Valosna........

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

mistetravn posted:

Imp. Always imp, except for 1 alt maybe. Useful to have an opposite faction alt some times. Maybe name my reb alt Valosna........

Valosna... that name is familiar.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

Levarris posted:

Valosna... that name is familiar.

Should be. lol. I was the one that took over val's accounts when he was forbidden to play any longer.

Fake edit: since I was so terrible at medic, I should make a val medic alt and continue to suck at medic.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm gonna be a jedi though cause they got laser swords and those are cool like when Darth Vader was in Rogue One and he had a laser sword and was like vroom vrewwm and killed dudes.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

I'm gonna be a jedi though cause they got laser swords and those are cool like when Darth Vader was in Rogue One and he had a laser sword and was like vroom vrewwm and killed dudes.

I can't tell if this is a shitpost or not considering this is what drove the game to the NGE in the first place

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

randombattle posted:

I'm sure I will have at least one Dark Jedi, I will probably play a BH for PvP though. Some point down the road after those of us who will be titans of industry have built a crafting empire anyway.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Yeah I'm probably going to start a crafter first and try to make all the shiny things. Figured if we can get a medium size house up off the bat with some somewhat decent crafting stations in and some storage, that can serve as City/Guild HQ until we can actually make the right buildings so we can give you official glorious leader status. Plus we can use those decent crafting stations to then get some mining industry going rather than having to hand sample everything

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to start a crafter first and try to make all the shiny things. Figured if we can get a medium size house up off the bat with some somewhat decent crafting stations in and some storage, that can serve as City/Guild HQ until we can actually make the right buildings so we can give you official glorious leader status. Plus we can use those decent crafting stations to then get some mining industry going rather than having to hand sample everything

Absolutely and from the sound of things we will have plenty of character slots to get it done.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What planet? Also, how will i get my Mustafar bunker? Though I don't know if I'll be happy with that anymore now that I've seen Vader's lava castle.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 21, 2016

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

Ahdinko posted:

Which version are you guys all playing?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bad-yeti posted:

NGE https://www.stellabellum.net

Goes live in 2 days.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

bad-yeti posted:

What Levarris said, its a fresh server starting up so if we can get enough goons in from the start then we can probably run things economically. And in PvP too as we will be spacerich as gently caress.
Does anyone more knowledgeable with NGE if crafter made gear is still what everyone is using, or did NGE make loot drop stuff more preferable?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 21, 2016

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

tadashi posted:

I haven't seen Rogue One, yet, but here's what I've come to appreciate about SWG.

Takes place between Eps 4 and 5
Features a Pole-arm wielding class that was fun as hell (Pikeman)
Features droids you can use in combat to help you
Darth Vader would occasionally appear in live events to send his minions after rebels
It's Star Warsy but has a very different actual atmosphere than the Star Wars films that existed at the time including the use of viable weapons and tactics as yet unseen in Star Wars films
Does not directly involve the canon heroes as primary characters
As a rebel player, you can score minor victories but you'll never actually defeat the Empire

Basically, 13 years ago, SOE created Rogue One: The MMO.

there's a commando-like dude too who reminded me of how i played my commando in SWG.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Ahdinko posted:

cycling helmets and waist coats are literally my fetish, so pls sign me up in advance, ty.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Same, just need to wait for my copy of SWG to arrive.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

bad-yeti posted:

Same, just need to wait for my copy of SWG to arrive.

No need to wait

Ahdinko posted:

Thanks alex, i'm in. Ready for server takeover if it doesn't poo poo itself on day 1 due to load.

Client install guide is here, it downloads the full SWG client for you:
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php/topic,576.0.html

Use the bit for "option 2's 2nd option"

akma
Jan 30, 2016

Ahdinko posted:

What Levarris said, its a fresh server starting up so if we can get enough goons in from the start then we can probably run things economically. And in PvP too as we will be spacerich as gently caress.
Does anyone more knowledgeable with NGE if crafter made gear is still what everyone is using, or did NGE make loot drop stuff more preferable?
Should need crafters to make the armor, clothing, and weapons with sockets. They also need to make the bits to go into the sockets.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ahdinko posted:

Thanks alex, i'm in. Ready for server takeover if it doesn't poo poo itself on day 1 due to load.

Client install guide is here, it downloads the full SWG client for you:
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php/topic,576.0.html

Use the bit for "option 2's 2nd option"

Thanks for this. All downloaded and ready to gently caress around with this dumb dead game. Again.
No idea why I do this to myself.

Is there a decent guide/writeup on the major differences between pre-cu and the years of nge changes?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Never played NGE and barely touched the original stuff so I'll probably need to be handheld through getting started, but I'm willing to jump in on this.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Interested in hopping on this like I always do everytime an emulator rolls around.

I never uninstalled SWG after it shut down, and I still miss all the musician poo poo with this game. I still have that old SWG Song Score application someone on the forums made that reads the games music files directly from the .tre files and lets you play as if you had a full band and flourish and poo poo. I don't know if it will work with Stella Bellum's tre files as I haven't finished the download yet to look at the file structure, but if anyone wants a copy to dick around with, let me know and I'll throw it up on google drive. It at least needs some post NGE tre files for all the songs.

This one:

Edit: Seems to work fine with Stella Bellum's tre files.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 21, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

The absolute best stuff is still made from crafters yes, the caveat is that they might come from one time use schematics that drop from PvE. But rather than magically drop an item, it drops the blueprint of said item so a crafter can take a swing at it, and then there is a chance you give it to a lovely crafter with lovely skills that can make you a lovely version of the best rifle in game for example.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe i'm remembering things wrong, but I thought for PVP purposes (in NGE), the only thing that truly mattered was having the right jewelry set. City invasions were the only real source of PVP though.... unless everyone flagged, got in an 8 seater, and waited for an idiot try and gank the single dot on the map.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

2DCAT posted:

Maybe i'm remembering things wrong, but I thought for PVP purposes (in NGE), the only thing that truly mattered was having the right jewelry set. City invasions were the only real source of PVP though.... unless everyone flagged, got in an 8 seater, and waited for an idiot try and gank the single dot on the map.

The jewelry sets were pretty much a must have thing, but you still needed good augmented armor, clothing and weapons.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
Does NGE still have the alien penalty to Imperial faction point gain (or was it negligible to begin with)? Kinda wanna roll a lizardman this time around.

Interested in another groundfloor attempt at an SWG emulator, especially with JTL this time.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

Bear in the Woods posted:

Does NGE still have the alien penalty to Imperial faction point gain (or was it negligible to begin with)? Kinda wanna roll a lizardman this time around.

Interested in another groundfloor attempt at an SWG emulator, especially with JTL this time.

No penalties for that as far as I remember in the NGE.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

mistetravn posted:

The jewelry sets were pretty much a must have thing, but you still needed good augmented armor, clothing and weapons.

Absolutely, that and all of the quest reward items that give buffs that many overlook at first.

In regards to recruitment, I will be totally ok with any and all forms of pubbie recruitment scamming until we get told by the staff not to.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 22, 2016

akma
Jan 30, 2016

Just started the first mission as an imp pilot. I'm liking this....

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, the space stuff was pretty solid!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'll be getting in on this. I'm off the next 11 days and need something to do.

I quit around the time of the combat upgrade, so I'm gonna be totally lost.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

Still not live. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

akma posted:

Still not live. :(

To be fair, it's still pretty early in the day.

I won't be shocked if they delay again, but I haven't foreclosed on hope that they'll launch today.