Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Levarris posted:

Truth be told in the NGE, Jedi is pretty useless in organized PvP. Most people by the point the game got to the point where Stella Bellum is realized that.

I am the person that unironically chose NGE Jedi because no matter how terrible it is I have a thing for glowbat-wielding space wizards. I still remember a friend and I going through some of the content together.

"Okay, now we need to go to the crystal cave to get our lightsaber crystals!"
*arrives at a cave entrance with gigantic, gaudy crystal deposits popping out of it*
"Well. That sure is a crystal cave."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm the person who got mad that they added jedi as a base class because it's not era appropriate. :mad:

I won't argue that it wasn't silly. In an alternate timeline where they kept one of the Jedi grinds in NGE I would've done that instead.

On the plus side, I remember JTL being quite fun, and I look forward to finally doing that content again.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

akma posted:

Still not live. :(

To be fair, it's still pretty early in the day.

I won't be shocked if they delay again, but I haven't foreclosed on hope that they'll launch today.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

They updated the "Are we there yet?" post a few minutes ago with an ETA of 7-8pm Pacific.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

"Live will be a bit delayed, sorry about that! We wish you happy holidays!
We're spread thin right now to finish the final configurations today but will continue working once we are back from the festivities."

Definitely not today or tomorrow.

Yeah, they just updated with "on or before the 31st," so another week out.

I don't begrudge a volunteer project taking Christmas off, God knows I'm taking Christmas off from my work, but I do wish they'd had put a bit more foresight into the two scrapped release dates.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

akma posted:

Yesterday they were discussing your alleged propensity for sending black cock pics to synge and others in their community discord........

Speaking of, is the Stella Bellum forums currently experiencing crippling goonterror or is there another group of "toxic elitists" that has ruffled their feathers?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Coincidentally, I would like to thank the brave men and women in Discord for making tonight's SB forum meltdown possible.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Please post all drama for the benefit of gawkers tia

So, details are hazy, but here's what we know.

1) The server was up and the address given to a select group of players before any announcement was made. Someone claimed it was up for 3 days, Darth (developer) claims it was a few hours before the meltdown began. It appears that there was no intent to wipe the progress of this lead group until their hands got caught in the cookie jar. This all got leaked and caused Forum Meltdown #1.

2) It is unclear if the server was wiped or not at that point, but Darth announces on Discord that they're doing a "soft launch," only giving the connection info out on Discord. This quickly is leaked and causes Forum Meltdown #2.

3) Things settled down until early this morning the live server died of a HDD failure. I'm not sure I'd call this a forum meltdown point, but at least one person is acting incredibly hurt over it.

The idea of a soft launch wasn't a bad one, but PR doesn't seem to be Darth's thing and they are currently in the process of making the forum outrage even worse .

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Jiimy posted:

They are going to have to rebuild the database, at this point it looks like there will be a wipe again and we are looking at 1-2 weeks before the server is up.

One of the devs is currently clarifying that they do not know if it's the controller or the HDD, and if it's the HDD, yup, everything needs to be set up again from the start.

Now I'm a simple country video game player, but I don't understand why aren't they talking about just backing up from their last major revision instead? They... do backups, right?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Elysium is up.Check it out.

No sarcasm intended, but: for how long? Persistence is a key element to my enjoyment of SWG and it's one thing that Darklight/Elysium has had trouble with in the past.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

My experience with SWG was purely NGE where I just hit "Jedi" as a class.

In terms of being a shameless laser-sword aficionado, is it actually fun and interesting to be a Jedi in the build they're using? I've heard horror stories of the holocron grind.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I swear SWG emu projects are cursed.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Not so much coming back as playing for the first time. Pre-NGE has some weird design choices that I'm still getting used to.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

As of Sunday afternoon the population is hovering near 1300 simultaneous, so definitely a Jedi bump. Rubberbanding and extreme lag spikes are still a thing, though.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Lurken posted:

Out of curiosity, why don't y'all like Legends? I'm having quite the fun time there :ohdear:

I've been having fun with the pre-CU stuff, and honestly one of the Legends people acted like an insufferable dick on the SWGEmu reddit which, while I know is not like rare for reddits or anything, did pretty effectively eliminate my desire to give it a chance.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Theophany posted:

What’s the difference between Legends and SWGEmu?

Legends is like Stella Bellum, running NGE. It's (apparently?) pretty much feature complete.

SWGEmu and related servers are emulating the pre-NGE game. It is still lacking JTL.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Theophany posted:

Legends has gotten JTL figured out? Or is it just atmospheric space as in the latter days of live?

Yeah, looks like they've got JTL figured out.

AFAIK there's two main branches of SWG out there. The SWGEmu code and the old SOE source code. The old source code is NGE + JTL, while the SWGEmu code has been building up from scratch and is just starting to think about touching JTL.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

cuedotcom posted:

Tl;dr

Never played swg, was just ahead of when I got into mmo's. Couple friends had me install swgemu. Any goons there? Any advice?

I'm currently using Aftermath server instead of Basilisk, but I still have my TKM with some really minor Jedi work done on Basi if there's something I can offer.

Advice:
1) Basi's economy is bloated beyond recognition, to your benefit. For example, speeders are so devalued that it's literally cheaper to buy a new one than it is to repair an existing one. Good weapons and 80-90% armor are relatively cheap. Once you get a small amount of credits rolling in you can equip yourself with impressive gear pretty quickly. Your first purchase should probably be a speeder (at ~5k).

2) For simple PvE, you're looking at either Swordsman or Rifleman. If you decide you want to be a Jedi-hunting bounty hunter the FOTM last time I kept track of the theorycrafting wias TKM (Tera Kasi Master).

3) Buffs are everything, and can be found around Mos Eisley reliably on Basi. If you're like me this will take a little bit of apprehension to get over asking for buffs and learning how to interact with the bots, but buffs are phenomenally important. In particular, if you exceed 1500 in your secondary stats (after armor reduction), your special attacks will cost nothing. This is pretty important, especially if you go Rifleman with a fuckoff man-portable artillery piece for a rifle. Don't ask me how many times I've forgotten to apply my full Mind buffs and get myself killed by sapping my Mind on the first group in a hunt.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

I wish there was a new server, or server wipe coming to one of these, I would play then... as it is now everything is so entrenched.

There are alternate servers that run on SWGEmu code with tweaks and variations to taste, some fairly recent. I mentioned I play on Aftermath instead of Basilisk right now. It launched this year, so still fairly fresh, and features gameplay changes I like (modestly increased exp rate, covert/overt/TEF PvP system, and a unique Jedi implementation).

I mean, it's still SWG and its still gonna be a sandbox grind, but if the problem is just that Basilisk is stale there are alternatives out there.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

A Master Rifleman/Medic is perfectly capable of soloing all the themeparks + the Warrens (with buffs, of course). Most of the POI badges are fine, except the pool beneath Fort Tusken will eat you alive.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 8, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Since I'm well ensconced on a pre-CU server, what does Legends offer me other than JTL?

Granted, JTL would be awesome to play with again.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Okay, I done something wrong.

I tried out Legends and got into the tutorial's JTL content. Things went swimmingly at first, but now I can't fire my weapon. It's in the default weapon group, the keys are bound to fire it, the laser looks like it's in perfect condition, but every time I try I get a "clunk" that sounds like an empty weapon sound. This just happened between missions and now it's been persistent ever since.

Edit: Changed computers with an independent Legends install and configuration, still can't fire the guns. So I donno what I broke.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 26, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Cryptix posted:

Is anyone still active on Basilisk?

If you want pre-CU, I recommend Aftermath over Basilisk for a tighter community and QOL improvements over base SWG.

If you want NGE, Legends is pretty ok.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

its all nice on rice posted:

Actually been having fun with this. Almost to Novice BH. Lots of players logged in most of the time. Server is pretty stable, too.

Bas is pretty stable except when they push a major update, then you can expect a few weeks of utter Hell trying to play. I still prefer Aftermath personally, but Bas is totally a viable choice too.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Server ruleset is cool, will continue to zap creatures as time allows.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How many were players how many were macro-bots? I'm assuming this early on in its life they were almost all players.

I'm only aware of two buffbots advertising, there were probably an indeterminate number of sampler bots quietly grinding away.

Probably a pretty high supply of ATK players.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Speaking as someone else that likes "light crafting" over "omgwtf crafting" that SWG can devolve into, you could try to take a stab at manufacturing vehicles at Master Artisan. They require only two semi-specific materials (ferrous and non-ferrous metals) that only care about one attribute for the outcome (shock resistance), and the outcome itself is only HP so most people don't give much of a gently caress about squeezing out the absolute best mats for it.

Tailoring is another step up in complexity but also not horrific to get into.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Is there still a unified goon presence on Stardust, and if so is it Rebel or Imperial aligned?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Levarris posted:

If any of you want a guild hall to form Goon Squad or whatever it'll be called here let me know and I'll make one for you with my crafter. I just won't be joining on my character(s) so as I maintain a position of neutrality on the server and within the community.

I appreciate that, honestly. "Goon SWG server" is the sound of something that could go pear-shaped in a hurry, and as funny as that might be I like the idea of the longer-term, stabler project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I've found more fun with some of the variant servers, including Stardust, doing new things while retaining to varying degrees the stuff I like about pre-CU SWG. As a non-Stardust example, Empire in Flames turned the profession system upside down and made the planetary control metagame a series of ongoing structured PvP events rather than base spam. Stardust has genuinely nice combat updates and a lot of custom content steadily coming out. There's some servers on the wings now that are continuing this trend of highly diverging from Bas / pre-CU orthodoxy.

The SWG emu scene is shockingly alive and active, even if Basilisk is a stagnate pit.