Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

biscuits and crazy posted:

This is also in Beregost, upstairs in the Burning Wizard. It's a lot less powerful than it used to be, (25% chance of stun for 1d4 rounds with no save) but its still a good weapon. However, Gaston has 2 pips each in axe and dagger respectively so I'm just going to sell it. Combined with the +1 bastard sword looted from the smithy, it will go some way to making up for not selling the ring of wizardry.

I used to build characters to be mace users just for the pre-nerf version of this. I won an ironman run once when I procced the stun on Sarevok the very first round of combat. It was crazy and it's not surprising it got nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Gotcha bitch.

After the party's last session that ended in dissapointment via the series of beatings Improved Faldorn laid out on both Jaheira and then Cernd, I realized that all I had to do to block her stupid opening creeping doom cast was to show up pre-buffed with improved invisibility.

Faldorn is now history, and the party will set out for Dearnise keep, and then probably umar hills, and then windspear hills, and then see if we can survive spellhold.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Logan the shapeshifter cleans up the other side of the world map.

Outside the mine I give the mage + jelly encounter a wide berth on the way to grab the wand of monster summoning. The green jellies give poo poo for exp and have a poison that can instantly chunk someone. The mustard ones are immune to Logan's piercing damage.

There were also assassins.

Dumb ones.

So very dumb.

The Firewine ogre mage wasn't much better. Neither was his human mage buddy.

Hunting basilisks with a flamethrower is very cathartic. Some assholes got in the way. Too bad for them.

The only way to shut up a red wizard of Thay is to cast silence on them. Completely stumped on what they can do without endlessly yapping about their evil schemes, they often end up doing something extremely dumb like trying to engage a werewolf in melee combat. It did not end well for them.

Bandit camp. Taurgosz was wand of paralyze'd.

I'm terribly unoriginal so I approached the big tent my usual way. Free action on the melee characters + web. Had Jaheira use a potion of firebreath on the mage to make extra sure he got blown up before he could do anything.

Next up: Cloakwood.

Wild surge count: 4
Gold spent on revives: 600

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arachnophobic Aaron has cleared the bandit camp

Suspicious posted:

Outside the mine I give the mage + jelly encounter a wide berth on the way to grab the wand of monster summoning. The green jellies give poo poo for exp and have a poison that can instantly chunk someone. The mustard ones are immune to Logan's piercing damage.

I hate that guy and don't even try to fight him fair. Those jellies are a run ender.

This is kinda cheaty, but I just fireball him from outside his field of view.

The assassins on the same map could theoretically fight back at least, but the combination of Stinking Cloud and skeletons is hard to counteract.

I finally get around to the main quest and clear the Nashkel Mine. I need to power through to the bandit camp so I can unlock the Cloakwood and get the Kondar sword for Ajantis since he keeps breaking his normal bastard swords. Anyway, I'm over-leveled and Mulahey is just a speedbump who doesn't even get the chance to summon his skeleton and kobold minions.

Nimbul also poses no challenge. When will these mages learn that I come pre-buffed with Remove Fear pretty much all the time?

The bandit camp main tent is too small of quarters for my usual Stinking Cloud strategy for dealing with large groups, but Hold Person proves quite effective at neutering the enemy.

I don't get any more screenshots, but I finish the play session clearing out all the remaining maps and sidequests before Cloakwood, and now stand poised to enter Cloakwood proper.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Aeneas II - Halfling Kensai (SCS)

After finishing up the Trademeet quests, we returned to Athkatla to do Jan's quests, before heading to the De'arnise Keep.

But first we have to get ambushed by Tanova. Night time vampire ambushes are awful in SCS. It almost makes me want to completely avoid traveling at night, but I'm too lazy to do that so I just put up with it.

Technically I could have talked my way out of this fight, but I just went for it. Fortunately, Tanova doesn't go nuts with spells like she will when we meet her in Bodhi's santuary.

Nevertheless, I come very close to getting Haer'dalis perma-killed by level drain (at least I think that perma kills NPCs; it used to) after he got surrounded by vampires. At the last moment his aura cleared and he drank an invisibility potion. Level 2 yikes.

The fight was kind of a mess, because we didn't have any way to protect against level drain. But between the unicorn spear, Lilacor, one cast of chaotic commands, a helm of charm protection and an invisibility potion, none of our party could be charmed.

Haste on charname from an oil of speed + Azure Edge (<3 <3 <3) took out the vampires.

We then got a cheesy ambush on the way to De'arnise Keep - the Orog + Slaver spawn. I've been casting Invisibility - 10 Radius before traveling to protect against ambushes, but this time I didn't and paid the price.

The party quickly scattered. Jaheira got off an insect swarm on the mages, who didn't have fireshields, and then cutting up the Orogs wasn't a big deal.

We then headed to the keep, where Nalia had the indecency to complain about us helping her.

I forgot to take a screenshot of the fight with Torgal. It went pretty well, other than Haer'dalis getting confused and subsequently killed. A cloudkill wand charge locked down the yuan-ti mages while Jaheira (making use of the unicorn spear again) and charname took out the giant trolls and the elder umber hulk. I doomed and slowed Torgal, which turned him into a pussycat.

Anyhow, since I don't have any screens of that fight, here I am cheesing the iron golem with azure edge (+3) while he is stuck on the door to his room.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 30, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

quote:

I finally get around to the main quest and clear the Nashkel Mine. I need to power through to the bandit camp so I can unlock the Cloakwood and get the Kondar sword for Ajantis since he keeps breaking his normal bastard swords.

There's a bastard sword +1 in the locked chest inside Beregost's blacksmith shop. There's also no one there at night to call the guards on you when you steal it. IIRC it only requires 50% in lockpicking so you can get it as soon as Imoen hits level 2.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Verdant Sapphire the Cleric/Mage

Made my way from Friendly Arm to Beregost, picked up Neera now a Wild Sorcerer. Did the sidequests around town and got confident, Silke can't be that hard to beat right.

A line from Darkest Dungeon regarding overconfidence comes to mind. Also bonus fun fact this is Baldurs Gate 1 sleep which means it lasts a while and punching people does not wake them up. I made tea while I waited for my party to get up.

Oh well, charname didn't even take damage so who cares if a few extras bit the dust. Hey lets see if we can save our favourite chicken

Oh well, I'm sure someone in the thread will manage it eventually. Time to head south, pick up my final party members ( barring chunking ). First in Nashkel pick up Minsc and ditch Jaheira and Khalid. Sorry Khalid but you are just the worst fighter in the game. Pick up the free Ankheg plate for Viconia so she casually walks around with -5 AC now. Oh, can't forget the most important "quest" in Nashkel.

Well we have one more open party slot. Lets go fill it, for that we need to go kill someone. Greywolf I'd like to introduce you too the Perfectly Balanced spell Command.

And with that Isra joins our party, someone else in the thread has already introduced her so I won't go to much into her stats. However Isra together with Valerie are two genuinly good NPCs for BG1 that just fit into the game. They have some banters and a small personal story, have normal npc levels of power and come with nice VA work. Mods like these two compensate for the terrible NPC mods we all know and hate.

Lets go have fun at the carnival, clear out the map of kobolds, kill a circus ogre, save a witch.

Damnit Zordral, now I have to wait for my party to wake up again. Now I could go tackle the Mines but Minsc really wants to go save Dynaheir and I've had that timer bite me in the rear end before so lets clear that issue up first, clearing maps along the way will also ensure the multiclass characters in the party get to level 2 or 3 in each class for important health gains.

Talking about health gains, if Neera hadn't leveled up before Sendai's party I'd have to go slog all the way back to the temple for her.

Now I certainly don't Need to clear out the Xvart village but this spell count on Neera and the fact that I'm playing a Bhaalspawn argues I should do it anyway.

Oh right Stratagems adds a summoned Bear to this village.

I remember it being more difficult to kill though. And normally clearing out this place you have time to consider the moral implications of genocide as you manually click through every pile of loot to get all the money. But with the power of Modern UI Design thats now a thing of the past.

Gnoll fortress: I'm learning that I'm very much used to a BS Tactics variant of the game here as I got mentally prepared for groups of Gnolls filled with Chieftains, Flinds, Elites and Veterans. Instead its mostly just Gnolls, simple normal Gnolls that you can cast sleep on. BG1 sleep at that so it doesn't even break when you hit them.

Towards the end there Neera reminds me that she's still using Wild magic. Luckily she only managed to actually down Minsc.

Minsc and Dynaheir finally reunited, Imoen leaves the party for but then. Oh no. A gnoll accident, guess I had forgotten about that final group up those stairs. So very tragic.

I'm sorry Minsc but with the current state of the economy and the iron crisis I just cant afford the ressurection costs. You know how it is I'm sure. Imoen still standing right there though so she can join again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala the Sorcerer is finally unveiled to the world.

I just hit ctrl+8 and then distributed my points what I thought was fair.

Melicamp lives! Is this a first for the thread?

Kala goes solo until level 6 before getting a party.

Her long lost alternative reality self died her in another life.

The party adds Yeslick and soldiers on to clear the cloakwood mines. I tried a web and it only webbed myself but I managed to kill him easily enough.

We run into an old friend in Baldur's Gate. We are going to hit up the shops and do a few quests then go clear out some of what we missed earlier in the rest of the map.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Melicamp lives! Is this a first for the thread?

Yes. I was starting to wonder if Beamdog somehow messed with the RNG in a way that made Melicamp die every time, but I guess it's just been bad luck so far. His survival rate should work out to 50/50, so a long string of deaths seemed strange.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I'm considering adding an exception to the Iron Party honour for Shoal the Nereid, since that death is mandatory for that particular sequence, and you get the resurrection for free anyway. Any thoughts on this?

We could also do with some more honours for Siege of Dragonspear, to add to the one we've got for finishing it blind. There's the 2 obvious ones, 1 for just finishing the content, and 1 for doing it solo. I've not thought of any names for them though, because I'm terrible at it. Obviously, since I've never played it, I don't know about any other honours for major sidequests (Like Durlag's for example) but if you guys who are more familiar with the content of the expansion can think of anything, I'll add it to the OP.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I don't ever try for Iron Party, but certainly I would not consider the Shoal encounter to count as a failure for it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

biscuits and crazy posted:

I'm considering adding an exception to the Iron Party honour for Shoal the Nereid, since that death is mandatory for that particular sequence, and you get the resurrection for free anyway. Any thoughts on this?

We could also do with some more honours for Siege of Dragonspear, to add to the one we've got for finishing it blind. There's the 2 obvious ones, 1 for just finishing the content, and 1 for doing it solo. I've not thought of any names for them though, because I'm terrible at it. Obviously, since I've never played it, I don't know about any other honours for major sidequests (Like Durlag's for example) but if you guys who are more familiar with the content of the expansion can think of anything, I'll add it to the OP.

What about an honor for the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty ?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Tzarnal posted:

What about an honor for the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty ?

Yeah, I could add that too, I'll just call it "Legacy of Bhaal" for now, and change "Double Damage" to just cover Insane difficulty.

Edit. Done.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's taken a little while but level 8 has been reached! One more to go. I include my spells learned in this update. I don't think the player could learn improved invis in the original game? It will probably be useful.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I might hop on this at some point. Dunno.

The furthest I got doing this was to Ascension Yaga-Shura and then I wiped because my Archer was so buffed I couldn't see how much damage they were actually taking.

My worry if I tried this is I've only beaten the new expansion once so I'm not sure I know that one well enough to reliably beat it without dying along the way. Though last time I did play with SCS on and I definitely would not use that mod doing an ironman run so maybe it'd be more manageable without.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Tzarnal posted:

Oh right Stratagems adds a summoned Bear to this village.

I remember it being more difficult to kill though. And normally clearing out this place you have time to consider the moral implications of genocide as you manually click through every pile of loot to get all the money. But with the power of Modern UI Design thats now a thing of the past.
Nah, Ursa's not an SCS thing. He's always been there. SCS might've made him tougher but apparently not.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender had just reached the bridge outside the gnoll stronghold.

So what's the first thing we do? Kill some gnolls xvarts, of course.

And... break another hammer. That's 3.

Yoink. First tome, charisma, jacked from some musty cave.

One bottleneck and a few stragglers later, and...

We've got ourselves a second mage. Sorry Khalid and Jaheira, maybe we'll meet again sometime but it won't be under good circumstances.

Oh hey, it's the new monk guy. I don't really need three melee characters but sure, let's give him a shot.

Tranzig goes out like a punk when you just sucker punch him with weapons.

And Rasaad falls to some hobgoblins. He didn't really impress me during our time together so I just leave him here. Sorry bud.

:what: Okay, new top priority: Bassilus and his hammer.

He's not too bad, but his undead bug out and neither collapse nor attack, so I decide to go for the easy XP and just take them out.

So this is new. The (mod-added) quest to retrieve Dynaheir's journal has never actually worked for me before, ever. I'm curious to see where this goes.

Shortly thereafter she gets killed by some graverobbers but with Brage being right south of us it's an easy shortcut back to Nashkel to raise her. Starting to think ditching my only real healer may not have been the 100% best option.

Couple offscreen fireballs makes it easy to cheese these jerks.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender's about to get stoned and also has nobody to challenge Shar-Teel with, whoops.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala the Sorcerer has reached Amn!

The traps imoen laid down took out a chunk combined with skull traps sarevok was almost dead before he engaged me and quickly died in about 10 seconds.

Never leave home without them.

Honors / Dishonors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Don't Hurt Me.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 30, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Out of curiosity...which PC classes have tended to be the most successful over these long three years? IF I remember right, these Ironman runs started...2015 I think?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fionordequester posted:

Out of curiosity...which PC classes have tended to be the most successful over these long three years? IF I remember right, these Ironman runs started...2015 I think?

I just checked the last few threads and really it's a pretty mixed bag. The victors are mostly some variety of fighter, thief, mage, or multi/dual classes of such. Berserkers and Berserker dual-classes have a pretty good track record. Not a lot of druids, rangers, or bards seem to succeed.

The ironman threads actually go back farther than 2015, it's just that no one posted any for a couple years before then.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Once my current one is done (successful or not), I'm wondering how well-received it'd be if I were to do a run of Baldur's Gate Reloaded, that NWN2 mod port of BG1+TotSC. It doesn't have SoD, and obviously I wouldn't be able to do a BG2 run yet, though I hear the team behind BGR is working on it. It does implement Bhaalspawn permadeath, so it's not "welp, PC fell, time for a 2 second rest to fix it" like normal NWN2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tzarnal posted:

However Isra together with Valerie are two genuinly good NPCs for BG1 that just fit into the game. They have some banters and a small personal story, have normal npc levels of power and come with nice VA work. Mods like these two compensate for the terrible NPC mods we all know and hate.

Thank you. :) I'm Valerie's author.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The first BG ironman thread I remember participating in was in 2011. They've been around a while.

Logan the shapeshifter ventures into Cloakwood.

Logan here calmly states to a fellow druid his objection to the summary execution of 3 people for the crime of hunting. Apparently that too is punishable by summary execution. Be that way.

On my way to the second Cloakwood area I got the worst waylaid encounter (other than the basilisk one): 4 ettercaps in your grill and 4 web traps surrounding you. Normally run ending... unless you run to the left and never stop. If you do that you'll reliably be able to escape before the web trap has time to deploy, for lack of a better term.

in the spider area I normally just use a scroll of protection from poison and tank everything. This time however, I'm saving them for SoD so I used ye olde kiting strategy.

And picked up the scimitar +2 on the cliff and triple fireball'ed the spider lair.

Normally I just skip the third area but in the EE if you have Jaheira in your party (or have a club wielding PC for some unfathomable reason) it's worth it to kill the archdruid for his club +2.

Here's my in-depth strategy for the wyvern area. There is no good loot, and while there is OK exp to be earned here, there are other places with far, far better reward/risk ratios.

No, game, I'm pretty sure I don't want to fight wyverns.

The group outside the mine went well enough. The mages died during the opening salvo, the rest was just cleanup. Note that by this point I'm no longer really using Logan in fights that aren't 100% trash mobs, I only send him in to help with cleanup. Joe Average was unspectacular, but he at least pulled his weight all the way to ToB. I'm halfway into BG1 and Logan is already a complete loving liability. I guess this means in SoA (assuming I get there...) I should beeline to Watcher's Keep and grab the dart +3.

I almost forgot to grab this potion. It's very important vs Aec'Letec.

Jaheira, fire immune and invisible, walked up to the first mage and dropped a potion of explosion at her feet in sync with Neera who peeked around the corner to shoot a fireball. This killed every guard except one and injured the mage, whom Jaheira finished off with a potion of firebreath.

The second mage is optional, but she does drop a scroll of slow and slow happens to be amazing. She doesn't a million guards with her so 1 wand scorcher and 1 use of the ring of energy were enough. I skipped the ogre mage. He's not in the way and he doesn't drop anything good.

Davaeorn was cheesed. He depleted all his spells on a single use of the wand of summoning then tried to use melee against the party. Went about as well as you'd expect.

Cloakwood says one final gently caress you farewell.

Time to the big city. Home of easy exp, gold and great gear.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has killed Bassilus and saved the life of a talking chicken.

For the 1st time in a while, I actually killed Silke. She's a lot less scary without SCS, so killing her was a simple matter of charming her, then attacking her with throwing daggers while she cast magic missile on herself. Cheesy, but effective.

Normally I wouldn't screenshot taking a hit from a dread wolf, but this is the 1st damage that Gaston has taken since the death of Gorion. (Gaston took what would have been a normally fatal 12 damage during the cutscene) Luckily, I have plenty of potions.

The two vampiric wolves were taken out one at a time, with no problems surprisingly enough.

While in the area to pick up Melicamp, I decided to take out Bassilus for the 5,000 gold reward. His spell selection is tiny compared to his SCS counterpart and once I blinded him, he died very quickly indeed. (Seriously, the specific component for him gives him an enormous buff, mainly through giving him a full spellbook. He's quite dangerous with SCS.)

Melicamp lives. After restoring him, I returned to Beregost. While there, I also finished all the other sidequests in the town available in Chapter 2. Gaston now has 12 reputation, and a sizable fortune as a result.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 1, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala Assembles her party and venture's forth to the adventure mart where Jan steals a ring of regeneration off ribald and a scroll of limited wish which is promptly used to get full plate mail +2 for Minsc. I didn't dare try to steal more out of fear of getting caught.

The party donates all their gold to the temple leaving us with 400 left over after reaching reputation 18. I like to get to reputation 20 as early as possible to save as much money as possible. I usually play bg2 solo not with a party so this isn't a problem. But it will mean no Edwin or Korgan.

Number one priority right now is the robe of vecna and amulet of power.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender was preparing to show some basilisks what-for.

I have Imoen go stealth for some scouting so I can mark on my map what is where, and immediately run into some gnolls. I figure why not just take them out since they're right there and guess what happens.

Couple more assholes down. These ones were actually pretty tough and I'm really starting to regret having a grand total non-potion healing capacity of Lay on Hands and two innate CLW.

Good dog.

Good dog.

And with Mutamin's basilisk easily taken out by ranged weapons and a good dog to draw paralysis attempts, Mutamin himself goes down easily. We spend the next few minutes wrapping up the rest of the basilisks on the map.

BAD DOG.

Dynaheir takes the kiss of death from Shoal so I don't have to worry about resting to restore Neera's shitloads of spells from the Ring of Wizardry, but Droth isn't too hard. Probably actually would've been harder had the invisibility not made it easily predictable to know when to start preparing the next round of magic missiles.

I like the helm of charm protection, a lot. :)

Tomes acquired: Two. That takes Minerva up to 20 constitution. Also I don't like flesh golems, at all. :mad:

Melicamp: Dinner.

Neera's quest was a bit of a fun little romp. Nice seeing goblins in BG1. Can't help but feel I was a little overleveled for it, though.

Same moose and squirrel from the cage in Waukeen's Promenade? The world may never know.

And Neera gets jacked up by a lucky shot from a goblin off cavorting with bears in a corner of the map. Total party deaths / fallen party members / revived party members: 4/3/2.

She redeems herself pretty quickly when she manages to cast Hold Person on half of Molkar's little band.

I don't really want to trudge through the whole Firewine ruins so I just head in the back door. Ogre mage gets off a couple lucky spells that we didn't manage to interrupt, but nothing too bad.

Second mage falls, and...

Son of a bitch.

I still don't really want to trudge through the ruins so we just trek it overland and kill this guy for his gloves. In my defense they're really nice gloves and he doesn't need them any more.

Um.

OH GOD WHAT oh jesus.

Even with the Dire Charm scroll and the Laeral's Tear, that's... honestly not that great of loot for what was a really hard fight. I think I spent as much time having Minerva and Isra chug potions as I did actually fighting and wearing down his mirror images. Also do potions of absorption not work any more? I chugged one after his first lightning bolt but the second one still fuckin hurt even though it was supposed to give 100% resistance. Oh well, we still won, and with 700 XP apiece, so whatever.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender is going back to school.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I'm too much of a scaredy cat to ever pickpocket ribald.

I used to always do the full plate +2 limited wish, but now I'm more into unenchanted full plate + rings / cloaks of protection.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp is now capable of casting level 3 spells. Provided he ever learns any, at least.

After engaging in some burglary in Beregost and getting a wand of lightning, Gaston headed south for some R&R. While checking out the Carnival, he met this impeccably dressed man. He also picked up some magical trinkets, and killed the evil Zordral.

This Cloudkill scroll was in a forest south of Nashkel. It might be useful someday, who knows.

While in the area, I killed Vax and Zal for the magic gauntlets they possess. They will be very useful, indeed. Sendai's little group met the same fate.

Greywolf was killed with the usual blindness then throwing daggers method. I also got the wand of frost from the tree in the NW of the map.

For Shoal the Nereid, I briefly recruited Eldoth (Moved by a mod to the Coast Way) and had him be a sacrificial lamb. Droth has few spells and was dealt with very easily. Shoal was then killed for her sins with a quick one-two punch of the wand of lightning and a throwing dagger.

Lastly, some utterly pointless cruelty to permanently kill Eldoth.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arachnophobic Aaron has been through Cloakwood and Baldur's Gate, now is about to return to Candlekeep

Today we augh

:gonk:

nope not here especially not me no sirree

:supaburn:

Outta the way, you losers are way less scary than spiders!

So here's something amusing I don't think I've seen before: enemy infighting. I send some summoned monsters down this hallway to bait Hareishan into wasting her spells and she ends up fireballing her own guards. That makes them turn hostile and kill her.

Davaeorn also gets baited into wasting his spells on summons and doesn't long survive the ensuing melee.

I move on to Baldur's Gate and go through the sidequest bonanza there, nothing much to say about it except Degrodel's house gets a little hairy.

Finally I conquer the Iron Throne headquarters and prepare for the return to Candlekeep and endgame.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Vanz the Shaman is in:

I guess half-elf could be better because of the resistance to charm but Spirit Ward should cover for it. Plus half-orcs rule:

Spirit summons aren't the best thing since while dancing you cannot do anything else. But for the first few levels they come in handy:

I picked up Ajantis because I wasn't sure the spirits would cut it against Tarnesh (since you can't actually control them). Turns out he wasn't needed:

That's a mean thing to say Unshey, I'm keeping your girdle:

Now, since the Neera encounter has ended so many previous attempts for me, when I caught the mage's attention I used an Oil of Speed and ran like a chicken. Neera proceded to eat the Flame Arrow:

This changed my party plans since I counted on her to use the Wand of Lightning to hunt Vampiric Wolves, the fastest alternative was to pick up Garrick, and the plan went as well as the last time:

Somewhere along the road I decided to return north and pick up Viconia before wrapping up the Beregost quests. Melicamp didn't make it

Garrick also bit the dust somewhere, but I kinda like him so he was revived. On the way to Nashkel I entertain the idea of recruiting Dorn in order to get the elven chainmail from his quest line (which I haven't seen yet). Anyway, this time I'm also giving Rasaad a second chance. Since Viconia is also in the party, this happens:

Last time I brought Ajantis to Dorn's encounter he tried to fight him and got chunked. He's a nice lad so I'm parking him at the Temple of Helm while I make up my mind on party composition. Sorry bud:

In the meantime, to fill the vacancy I picked up Minsc and headed towards the Gnoll Stronghold.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender had just been accepted into the prestigious Ulcaster School.

I kind of feel like I got scammed.

Vermin everywhere, dead bodies just laying out in the open. Is there some kind of class-action suit I can get in on? Can I at least get my tuition back?

After grabbing the book for the headmaster I give the corpse to Mal-Kalen, the loving rear end in a top hat wraith-revenant-thing added by Unfinished Business, who, based on prior BGTutu experiences, would have ended my run had I tried to take him on.

:) You too, prof.

It's that time again!

A little disappointed that the Red Wizards here didn't have any remarks on Neera. Maybe they would've if I hadn't nuked three of them from offscreen.

I've already got the other set of ankheg plate I need thanks to a stray way down south, but I'll need both a sphene gem and an angel skin ring later on, so yoink.

Taurgosz Tenhammer kindly donates to the Minerva Twohammer fund. With a second enchanted one, I will never again have to worry about one breaking. Total broken hammer count: 8. Also some full plate for Yeslick I guess, unless I just end up giving him the +1 normal plate I'm lugging around since I don't remember his strength score.

Pretty standard. Series of high early rolls from the enemies left Minerva hunkering down and drinking for a few rounds.

The druids don't pose much threat at this point but I Horror them anyway just to be safe. Only gets two of them but oh well.

I've never liked the hamadryad and I never will. Stupid teleporting jerk.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender has cleared the exterior of the motte-and-bailey and is about to go spelunking!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Logan the shapeshifter is a country werewolf in a big city.

Neera got her fifth wild surge while sneaking into Oberon's estate to steal his artifacts when she entangled herself while trying to recast invisibility to sneak back out. Could have been problematic but I gave her a potion of invisibility in case this happened, so crisis averted.

Then I killed some mages of the rear end in a top hat confusion-casting kind. The potion of clarity from Sorcerous Sundries helped a lot.

Imoen's sticky fingers went to work to avoid unpleasant hostilities. She didn't fail this time! 180% in pickpocket might have helped.

More assassins were killed as were a shitload of doppelgangers. Does Sarevok buy them in bulk? Who's his supplier?

Some humorless braggarts were thoroughly schooled.

Some mages living in the middle of the city love the company of horrible monsters, I guess.

Then it was time to tackle the Iron Throne building. This is my strategy for the top floor fight, copyrighted to me all rights reserved do not steal.

Home sweet home.

Wild surge count: 5

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arachnophobic Aaron has defeated Sarevok!

Ah, home at last and what the hell are those doing here?! Why did no one tell me Candlekeep was full of spiders?! I sure hope that's the only terrible secret Gorion was hiding from me.

Dynaheir summons some, uh, friendly spiders to help with Iron Throne mercenaries. I'm still trying to come to terms with that one.

Back in the city I foil Sarevok's dastardly plan to take over Baldur's Gate and start a war with Amn. In an ironman thread first, I actually manage to keep both dukes alive.

Let's take a look at Arachnophobic Aaron's stats before heading into the final battle.

38% of all kills isn't bad for such a lame class. It's probably thanks to the effectiveness of ranged combat in BG1.

There may have been a little mishap with Ajantis and Minsc. Sarevok rushes past what was supposed to be my front line and Aaron is forced to engage him in melee to protect the casters. Thankfully Sarevok is already weakened from multiple fireballs to the face, and Aaron is buffed to literally godlike strength so he soon bludgeons Sarevok to death with his clubs.

Honors claimed: Ironling, Purist, Overcoming Adversity, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Roleplayer

Next time: Aw crap, do I really have to do blind content in an ironman run?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well Aeneas II's run may be at an end. Somehow Arkanis spawned in the thieves guild.

I spoke with the thief that has the lockpicking ring, and for whatever reasons the thief who kills him became hostile to my party, spawning Arkanis.

I don't think I did anything to provoke that, but maybe I misclicked somehow. Also might be a bug, but hard to tell.

If I can recreate a hostile thief without provocation, I'll consider continuing the run. If not, Aeneas II will be sent upstate.

Edit: OK I am 95% confident I figured out what happened. If you force attack the "bad thief" (who is blue circled), then under certain cirumstances your party will auto-attack the "good thief" after the "bad thief" dies. Auto-attacking the "good thief" makes him go hostile and summons arkanis. I didn't see any party attacks land on either thief during my actual run, so it was probably a slinger that auto-attacked the good thief and missed that triggered him.

On testing, although the "good thief" is invisible until he lands his blow, which always kills the "bad thief", one can reliably recreate the auto-attack by either force-attacking the "bad thief" exactly at the moment the "good thief" swings, or force-attacking at any point the party can see the "good thief", which will occurr if the "good thief" critical misses to reveal himself.

As long as the party doesn't subsequently attack the "good thief", the act of attacking the "bad thief" doesn't cause a problem, provided that the party has spoken to him first.

The correct thing to do in the encounter in hindsight is of course to do nothing and let the "good thief" do his thing. I sort of panicked and force attacked the "bad thief" because the "good thief" says you should help him "unless you wish the same".

I guess I defer to the thread on whether that is a run ender. I lean towards a run ender for the purposes of the thread.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 2, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I would keep going that sounds like beamdogs hosed up AI that gives me endless problems.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The same thing happens in the fallen paladin quest in the bridge district. If you force attack the smugglers, once they're all dead the AI will sometimes switch to targeting the paladins even if you turned party AI off. Just the act of attacking is sufficient to turn them hostile, even if you stop your party before a swing or shot is made. I had this happen to me before the EE.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Verdant Sapphire the Cleric/Mage

Where was I, oh yeah

Nothing exciting happened besides a few levelups. I try to rest before I fight Mullahey, it takes a few attempts. Eventually I manage to not get ambushed by goblins. Set up inside the northern chamber, cast some buffs and lure out Mullahey.

I'm playing with Stratagems/SCS so he gets some minions and lackeys but thats what Turn Undead and Sleep are for, then when he shows his face around the corner, two Holds, because I don't feel like fighting an actual fight.

So after beating up a group of Slept and Held Monsters plus one evil Cleric the aftermath on the party is

drat Viconia took 2 points of damage somewhere. Need to try harder next time. I clear out the zone behind the mines, grab my favourite wand and return to civilisation to turn in quests. Oh wait, no. This rear end in a top hat interupts us.

No damage taken at all, much better. Time to turn in more quests back in Beregost when oops, no. Time to be interrupted by an rear end in a top hat again.

gently caress you Elminster, gently caress You.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala has been making good progress.

The Harpers donate a ring to me.

We manage to save up enough money to get this nice robe. It's named after some guy named Vecna? Never heard of him.

We do a few minor quests like Thieves Guild, Slavers, Bridge Murders and find ourselves in chapter 3. Which of course means an Amulet of Power is now mine.

We get some statues made of us. We all look like we have stoneskin on us.

Jaheria had Iron Skins and -10 AC at this point and tanks Torgal who goes down pretty easily. I didn't manage to land a slow like I wanted but didn't really matter in the end.

The party clears out the Graveyard a bit for some free xp and then does the fallen paladins which manages to get me to level 12. Level 12 is a huge level for Sorcs because it's the level we catch up to mages spell progression wise. We now get spells the same level normal mages do. We also had our first party member die, Keldorn while fighting the crypt king. I have a rod of resurrection at this point so it wasn't really a big deal.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In the planning stages of a run right now, just grabbed the EE versions of BG 1 and 2 as part of the GOG sale going on right now.

I'm planning on going for the all Tomes, and Legendary Weapons acheivements, and I'm gonna be rolling a bunch of Fighter/Mages for this, I bet.

Any tips? I've never actually gotten that far in BG 1, despite having finished BG 2 and TOB before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Logan the shapeshifter returns home...

and finds it infested with doppelgangers, mercenaries/assassins/whatever, and... basilisks? Seriously?

During all this excitement, Neera got her first positive wild surge: gems. Logan is now very slightly richer!

Both dukes survived the coronation ceremony. This is a good sign, right?

Through the thief maze now.

The last ambush in the game, finally.

Don't kill yourself, Tamoko. Sarevok isn't worth it. Your brother Yoshimo is looking for you.

Well this certainly is new. Time to backtrack now and tie up loose ends.

I managed to pickpocket the 6th and final scroll of protection from magic without losing a ton of reputation (though it doesn't matter at this point), borrowed the second pair of gauntlets of weapon expertise from a hobo, and instantly killed Kahrk with the arrow of slaying for shits and giggles.

While buffing for the last fight of Neera's quest, she got her second positive wild surge. Only reason to even bother with it is for the scroll of stoneskin.

I'm not going to wuss out like SOME PEOPLE and will do TotSC content. I'm sure I won't regret this.

Wild surge count: 7

• Locked thread