Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Npc inventories are identical if it's the same npc. IE if the same npc flies in, out, and back in to a station, he will have the same inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I think Sean ripped off the game's concept from something else.

But seriously, I was hoping the game would be at least okay at launch.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 3, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Junior Jr. posted:

I think Sean ripped off the game's concept from something else.

Ripped off the review scores too. :v:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Back in September I was running the game on a ram disk because of certain crashing issues, and after having reinstalled for foundation I haven't felt the need until waiting for shaders after changing a graphics setting. So far all of the same benefits like way faster initial loading, assets loading in better, transitions being a lot smoother. I'd recommend it

Also I only just installed the 'fly anywhere' mod without adjusting the option to increase ship speed, and it's a night and day difference to enjoyment flying over neon pastel planets

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I went from about 50k to 700k just trading poo poo from one ship to another in the space station in my starter system. Seems like a good way to help get your feet under you in survival.

e: Now 2 million, and I've never even landed on a second planet. I also have like 1500 plutonium. Looks like a good way to cheese survival.

The few systems I've been haven't been good for this so far. Plutonium being rare and launching off costing so much has made me trek a hell of a lot more than I ever did. I just landed on a gorgeous planet until a firestorm engulfed it and almost killed me.

Survival mode owns and is exactly what I expected this game to be. I'm still going through the tutorial / at last intro so I'm still S bit aways from base building but I'm looking forward to finding a nice planet to park for a while.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

In the space station I started near there is a loop of aliens who will sell something (dynamic whatever thing you need to build your hyperdrive) and another group who would buy it for twice the price. Before having enough to trade in those I would buy zinc and titanium at low prices and sell them for double. I typically fill up with Plutonium getting 30 or so at a time from the aliens landing in the station. I've never actually played this game before, so I don't know if that's a normal thing you can do or I just got kind of lucky with my starter system.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got to the first space station, and once I was done I left. Five seconds later a pirate appears, shoots me once, and takes out my entire shield. Was able to duck back inside before I died but jesus, that's quite a spike in difficulty on the space side of things.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Got a mission from my farmer to go to some underwater ruins for a plant. Arrive at the POI and there are no ruins. Just a flat sandy patch. So what do I do?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can you cancel missions? That bug is one of the more annoying ones, I've spawned several ruins that are just flat nothingness underwater before.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey my atlas path merged with another player that followed this path 2 1/2 months ago.

Current goal is to find a black hole system that can have a base within it so I can just explore randomly by using the Black hole, repairing whatever breaks, then using a station to go back whenever.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Not having the material I needed to build a station to attract a scientist in my current base's system, or in the 4 systems I jumped to really killed my momentum from this update.

And thrusters using so much plutonium every time you launch is still really stupid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do wish they'd improved the marketbots and trading with pilots with this update since they added a ton of new stuff, yeah. Make stuff expensive, whatever. Just make it obtainable by some, any means

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Captain Invictus posted:

I do wish they'd improved the marketbots and trading with pilots with this update since they added a ton of new stuff, yeah. Make stuff expensive, whatever. Just make it obtainable by some, any means
Yeah, that's a good question, if everyone needs Plutonium to get off of planets why don't the drat space stations sell it by the truckload?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
One of the new intermediate products in the Foundation Update is Copper Wire. In No Man's Sky, Copper Wire does not require any Copper to produce. Instead the wire is made solely with a new element called Rigogen

Rigogen is only found in an underwater plant that appears on ocean worlds and does not show up on orbital scans or local scans. Rigogen is also they only new element that cannot be cultivated in a hydroponic bay.

If you can find a base on an ocean world, settling there would be the only way to secure a supply of Rigogen.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Copper Vein posted:

One of the new intermediate products in the Foundation Update is Copper Wire. In No Man's Sky, Copper Wire does not require any Copper to produce. Instead the wire is made solely with a new element called Rigogen

Rigogen is only found in an underwater plant that appears on ocean worlds and does not show up on orbital scans or local scans. Rigogen is also they only new element that cannot be cultivated in a hydroponic bay.

If you can find a base on an ocean world, settling there would be the only way to secure a supply of Rigogen.
Excellent user/post combo

Where is your cousin Plutonium Node

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, that's a good question, if everyone needs Plutonium to get off of planets why don't the drat space stations sell it by the truckload?
Because then you wouldn't explore! But you can't explore, because that requires loads of plutonium, which you can only acquire by exploring. In your ship, capable of interstellar travel and flying between planets in mere seconds, that can only hold enough fuel to take off once.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
As was true in 1.0, modding out lift off costs makes the game exponentially better.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CrashCat posted:

I don't really understand this. At the space station in my starter system there are aliens flying in and out all the time and I can buy like 30-50 plutonium from each of them. After a while they run out, but usually if I wait a little while or save or something (I'm not really sure what triggers it) they all have their stock again. Are you talking only about the galactic market thing on the wall? I'm hauling around like 1500 units of plutonium now having mined probably 400 of it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Since the patch I have noticed that plutonium deposits are sparser but are also much larger. I have never had to walk far to find more, usually netting over a hundred units in each deposit. But I'm playing on normal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I started over on Survival again :shepicide:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tyshalob posted:

Got a mission from my farmer to go to some underwater ruins for a plant. Arrive at the POI and there are no ruins. Just a flat sandy patch. So what do I do?

This happened to me. Your farmer will keep sending you there until you get a new base. It took me four bases to complete that mission.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
In Survival I'm still exploring the same galaxy as everyone else on different difficulties, right? I've been holding out for a nice planet to really get started with base building, but literally every planet I've found with a pleasant environment has also been an extreme sentinel planet. I never had this problem pre-1.10 and I'm wondering if Survival is just screwing me here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Survival has been pretty awesome. I've had some really loving close calls where I leave a base without enough plutonium to take off and land somewhere I think there will be some but nope it's a loving paradise planet with hostile sentinels. So I have to trek through a constant battle burning out life suit / thamiun in hopes of finding plutonium. Last night I actually had to use up plutonium + carbon to make a power pack since I was out of thamium and basically went on a suicidal one way trip to find more thamium and plutonium. I got really lucky and hit a nice pocket of both as I was about to die. I still needed to rest in a cave to get my bearing and make my trip back but that's the closest I've come to die.

I'm sure they didn't intent it but now I just spend 15 minutes scavenging up 400 plutonium from merchants in a space station before I go anywhere. I'm already really loving picky of where I land and have skipped out on a TON of drop pods and ruins because I just don't have the resources to land and leave again.

The one QoL change I would ask for at this point for survival to be even better is for the Planet survey info (weather/flora/fauna/sentinel pop-up) to show up when you enter the atmosphere. It's kinda idiotic you can't really tell what a planet has by flying on it because fauna, sentinels, and environmental effects (storms) don't load until you're out of your ship and with outposts being so scarce now (a really good change, imo) you either have 200 plutonium ready in case the planet is poo poo or hope to god you land somewhere near plutonium. Oh yeah, speaking of environmental i found a planet yesterday with the harshest conditions yet. My hazard production would go from full to dead in 10 seconds during a storm. The voiceover warning would overlap from how fast it was draining. OF course since the game hides the UI when you first land I almost died because I didn't realize I had just landed in a heat storm nova.

Right now I have a lovely base in a frozen planet and have been doing the fetch missions for the NPCs I've hired to unlock most of the tech. Currently rocking a 24 slot ship and I'd love to upgrade at some point but I think they took out ship wreckages because I've yet to have one pop up from a comm station.

Mountaineer posted:

In Survival I'm still exploring the same galaxy as everyone else on different difficulties, right? I've been holding out for a nice planet to really get started with base building, but literally every planet I've found with a pleasant environment has also been an extreme sentinel planet. I never had this problem pre-1.10 and I'm wondering if Survival is just screwing me here.

I think paradise planets always have frenzied sentinels.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 6, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't really understand this. At the space station in my starter system there are aliens flying in and out all the time and I can buy like 30-50 plutonium from each of them. After a while they run out, but usually if I wait a little while or save or something (I'm not really sure what triggers it) they all have their stock again. Are you talking only about the galactic market thing on the wall? I'm hauling around like 1500 units of plutonium now having mined probably 400 of it.
Sounds like you understand it perfectly. If you can get it piecemeal by waiting forever, why not just have it in the space station terminal for purchase in bulk? What is the space station serving if they don't sell the stuff space travelers need at quantity? If they only had a quarter of a tank of fuel to sell people at all the gas stations near me there would be loving riots. I can't even imagine if I had to buy gas off people coming in, one gallon at a time.

Granted avoiding this would have required them putting more than five seconds thought into why they splatted a space station into every system aside from the simple "because we need something guaranteed in every system".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My restart on Survival has me with plenty of everything... except the 300 Heridium I need to leave. The closest deposit of it is 12 minutes away.

I'm thinking the best plan is "run for it and hope I can teleport the Heridium back to my ship before I die".

No Rogue's Like

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It took me like 2 day cycles (I could only roam my starting planet at night) to reach my poo poo. Then it was another 2 days to a Heredium deposit. Then 2 days to get back. Survival owns.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

My restart on Survival has me with plenty of everything... except the 300 Heridium I need to leave. The closest deposit of it is 12 minutes away.

I'm thinking the best plan is "run for it and hope I can teleport the Heridium back to my ship before I die".

No Rogue's Like

Mine was 7 minutes away, and I was able to find some thamium plants along the way. You're on survival though, so :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, hey, look at that, patch notes! Patch 1.12:

quote:

First of all, thank you to everyone who’s been playing the Foundation Update[https://www.no-mans-sky.com]. Your feedback has been incredibly helpful, keep it coming!

Following are the notes for our latest patch: 1.12, which addresses some of the main issues we’ve seen reported following the launch of 1.1 (Foundation).

Patch notes
[PC] Following reports of some people experiencing issues with the game while unsupported mods are installed, we’ve added mod detection which will show a warning screen on loading when mods are detected. A mouse click or button press will dismiss this screen. We have also introduced a new method for mod installation which should prevent player’s games from breaking when a new update is released. For details please see the ‘DISABLEMODS.TXT’ file in the \GAMEDATA\PCBANKS folder.

[PC] Allowed remapping of the build menu and quick menu commands to support Azerty keyboards.

[PC] We’ve enabled a temporary workaround for the SLI issues people are experiencing. If you are running in SLI, please disable TAA and the game should run. We are looking into a more permanent solution to this issue.

Fixed an issue which, in some rare cases, prevented NPCs from giving you mission critical dialogue.

Fixed a bug which could cause core items to be transferred from exosuit inventory to starship inventory.

Fixed a number of rare crashes (if you continue to experience crashes, please send a crash report and include your crash dumps).

[PC] Fix for monitor detection on PCs with 3rd party remote desktop or screen sharing applications.

[PC] Running the game via the .exe file should no longer give Steam Init errors.

Fixed an issue where underwater buildings could spawn without doors which in rare cases would mean the NPC missions could not be completed. (Note: If you are still being pointed to missing facilities during the NPC questlines, you can either claim a new base and re-build the NPC terminal, or if you have a Freighter, remove the NPC terminal from your base and rebuild it in the Freighter. The NPC should then give you new coordinates. We are still working on a more permanent fix for this issue).

This update is live now! If you continue to experience issues, be sure to let us know by submitting a bug report[hellogames.zendesk.com].

Enjoy!
Looks like it fixes that underwater quest problem, or one of them, at least!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Now let me see the planet's weather from inside my ship, fuckers. (And relevant info on how hosed am I if I step out)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now let me see the planet's weather from inside my ship, fuckers. (And relevant info on how hosed am I if I step out)

yeah I know the game isn't supposed to be realistic at all but it's still kind of funny that you are on a ship with all these high tech sensors but the only way to tell what kind of atmosphere/climate a planet has is to literally open the cockpit and go outside

nevermind that we can tell what kind of atmosphere all the other planets in our solar system have with our own comparatively low tech right now, from Earth, without even the ability to build a ship to visit them

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lots of people have this complaint so I'm betting this will be added eventually. Same thing happened with the resource scanning from outer space.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

they could easily work it into a series of sensor upgrades from the ship

sigma - tells you the temperature/toxicity
tau - tells you the amount of flora and fauna
theta - tells you how many outposts etc. are on the planet and whether the drones are hostile

if you could get all that info from space you'd save a lot of time

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I'd wager that their thinking is: "If the player can tell what type of planet it is without landing on it, then they won't land on as many planets and will explore less."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

I'd wager that their thinking is: "If the player can tell what type of planet it is without landing on it, then they won't land on as many planets and will explore less.

I'd still land on the same number of planets they'd just be more specifically chosen

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

People probably explore less overall if they feel their time is being intentionally wasted.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Earwicker posted:

they could easily work it into a series of sensor upgrades from the ship

sigma - tells you the temperature/toxicity
tau - tells you the amount of flora and fauna
theta - tells you how many outposts etc. are on the planet and whether the drones are hostile

if you could get all that info from space you'd save a lot of time

The thing is that ship scanner upgrades were supposed to be in the game anyway. There's a category for it and everything.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

How do I build the stupid loving haz-mat gauntlet when there are no goddamn armorers around

edit: figured it out. Glad instructions are crystal clear and properly prioritized :thumbs:

And dammit the patch broke the "Units received" mod, uhgggggg

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 8, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, hey, look at that, patch notes! Patch 1.12:
Looks like it fixes that underwater quest problem, or one of them, at least!

Taciturn support for mods, that's interesting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Earwicker posted:

I'd still land on the same number of planets they'd just be more specifically chosen

Same. I still make my way to dead planets all the time (generally easy to find: only 3 elements on the planet scan + no ? markings whole flying around the surface) to stock up on Thaminum9 and Plutonium. Then I go to whatever planet I'm looking a particular resource for (rigogen where the gently caress are you?) then it's whatever factory/abandoned building I scanned from space for new recipes. Once I can sustain myself better or end up with a poo poo ton of plutonium I'll go drop pod hunting by creating signal boosters on random planet.

I'm still running with 11 suit slots + 24 on the ship. I'm really loving struggling to keep poo poo but I can rarely afford to land randomly by a drop pod and burn 200 plutonium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

They had to completely rewrite the table of elements so red planets spawned red metal and green cactuses spawned on desert planets

• Locked thread