Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Everything about the new planetary procgen and rendering looks great. One of the big things for me is having real surface features be visible from space. It was so drat stupid flying toward a blue/green colored planet covered in bodies of water, then having it turn into a barren ball of brown dirt with yellow skies as soon as you passed through the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think they fixed that in the last big patch, I was able to spot aluminium deposits from space.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Party Boat posted:

I think they fixed that in the last big patch, I was able to spot aluminium deposits from space.

They did not, I had this exact thought last night as I was descending through some atmosphere. The landscape completely changed as I went through the clouds.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh wow that's weird. Hope the new patch sorts it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
As far as I've read from leakers the big resource blocks are either completely absent or exist mostly underground with a lil' bit sticking out. There's also 'buried treasure' that you have to find via multitool digging, though I'm not sure exactly what that entails.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm on the hype train lads. It's been a good 6+ months since I played,can't wait to dive back in.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Party Boat posted:

We might be thinking of two different things? I'm talking about stuff like this, which I recorded just now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4dHQJ1GG6Y

I don't know exactly how it works, but it's clear that the surface texture visible from space doesn't represent the geography of the planet. It seems the texture is just a macro representation of whatever surface features the procgen has defined and in some cases the surface texture doesn't accurately represent the dominant color of the terrain.

Party Boat posted:

Oh wow that's weird. Hope the new patch sorts it.

Oops didn't see the new replies before I replied. As far as I can tell, they have indeed fixed it. In one of the leaked videos, the player approaches what appears to be a body of water from space. Normally this would disappear, but it was still there and all the other surface features seemed to actually represent what was seen from space.

Sound Insect fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 23, 2018

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Can anyone remember what time they normally drop the patches? I know steam's normal time to push updates is 10am PST.

I'm hoping it's a bit earlier since I'm back to work on wednesday :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Legs Benedict posted:

When you get death threats and an unending torrent of harassment because gamers cant handle disappointment, yeah, pretty sure that makes you the victim

Jesus christ

Who hasn't received a death threat from some internet whack job nowadays anyway, honestly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1021387100476801026

:rip:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I kind of love Sean Murray now

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Anybody want to squad tomorrow?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wonder how much better NMSs launch wouldve been if theyd had a real PR person instead of Sean. Someone who did a better job of setting expectations and not giving false information? Love it or hate it but the game wouldve been the same, however I think it wouldve gotten MUCH less flak that it did.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm curious to see how this patch turns out but man, it's crazy seeing people fall into the same hype hole for the same game two years later. Multiplayer is announced so let's start forming clans and preparing trade alliances and blahblah. Have they ever indicated that there'd be anything more than 4 player co-op? I will say that meandering around a world with friends will probably be more fun than doing it alone but I'm tempering my expectations for this thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm excited because I know that the previous updates were very good and this one is the biggest yet. I'm not looking to play space politics, just hang out with some bros.

I cancelled my Amazon copy for my Xbox though. Wasn't going to get here until Thursday. Normally I would say no big deal but my girlfriend is away on business and I wanted this game to gently caress around in all week. Looks like I'll buy digital or just pop into Target at lunch tomorrow.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I wonder how much better NMSs launch wouldve been if theyd had a real PR person instead of Sean. Someone who did a better job of setting expectations and not giving false information? Love it or hate it but the game wouldve been the same, however I think it wouldve gotten MUCH less flak that it did.

If they would have said the game was in early access than there wouldnt have been nearly as many PR problems.

It probably wouldnt have sold as well, either.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

NNick posted:

If they would have said the game was in early access than there wouldn’t have been nearly as many PR problems.

It probably wouldn’t have sold as we’ll, either.

Wasnt it Sony who told them they couldnt call it early access? But yeah, I think that would have helped a poo poo ton

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Made a discord so we dont spam up the chat with constant hey whos on at the moment? https://discord.gg/QUjd3zK

Its barebones at the moment but let me know and Ill make any channels/add mods once I know who is and isnt a power tripping autist. Any suggestions are welcome.

I only intend to post it here but if you have RL friends (not that anyone would openly want to admit to associating with goons) who play with you, you can invite them. Im not here to be the torchbearer for the true flame of gooniness.

xilni fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 23, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Please still post in the thread though, the place hardly gets posts after patches as is :shobon:

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Please still post in the thread though, the place hardly gets posts after patches as is :shobon:

Oh no doubt, its just helpful so as to not spam up the thread.

Also accepting suggestions for the discord icon image. Im leaning towards the dog from Seans tweet thats having flashbacks of nam.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cant believe it but this kinda looks like a game Id enjoy playing now.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I kind of love Sean Murray now

the hate for him was always overblown. they werent being malicious in the incorrect information they gave about the game. what sean was guilty of was being excited about the project he was working on and not understanding how the public at large generally thinks about game development. it was a small team working on an indie game that were not prepared for the kind of attention their game would be getting.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I mean, the dude showed up on Colbert and told us about features we wouldn't get for two years. You're allowed to be mad at him. He point blank said "You'll be able to do this with other people" and we get that feature tomorrow.

Granted, he's earned a lot of good will back by following through and updating the game a ton, but he still colossally hosed up the release. Odds are it was Sony pressuring him to finish, and to hype it like the video game that scifi nerds have always wanted.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Augus posted:

what sean was guilty of was being excited about the project he was working onof attention their game would be getting.

Didn't he answer a question of "will you be able to find your friends" with "yes"?

That's where you go from excitement to lying, tbh.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I think a lot of it was that they underestimated the people who play games. They thought it would take a year for anyone to reach the center. They thought they had time to get the mulitplayer working before people even found each other.

Yeah he lied a lot but I am ok with the state the game is in right now even before this patch. I have been playing it again the last couple weeks and learning all the stuff added in the last couple patches. I am having fun and can't wait until tomorrows update.

If I burn out in a month or so that is fine as Red Dead 2 will be coming out soon and that will take my time away from this anyways.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It helps he's been making the rounds to the outlets about dealing with online harassment. It's good pity PR in today's climate

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

I wonder how much better NMS’s launch would’ve been if they’d had a real PR person instead of Sean. Someone who did a better job of setting expectations and not giving false information? Love it or hate it but the game would’ve been the same, however I think it would’ve gotten MUCH less flak that it did.

It would have helped a little but gamers are real weird and lots would still hype it anyways and then be disappointed it wasn't the second coming of christ.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I mean, the dude took his licks and has shown he understands why people are upset. It's not like he threw a poo poo fit about people misrepresenting what he said.

He could have easily crawled in a hole and never updated the game or his Twitter again.

But he didn't. He put out three gigantic updates in two years. And for that I'll say he's mostly forgiven.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

It would have helped a little but gamers are real weird and lots would still hype it anyways and then be disappointed it wasn't the second coming of christ.

You can reduce the percentage by a decent amount by being open about where the game is at at release. The reveal trailer, and no walking back on anything it showed, was one of the really big mistakes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember the build on the Xbox One disks is going to be a couple months old for the purposes of the publisher getting the disks manufactured, so there could still be some surprises when the game launches.

My PS4 actually gave me a notification about the update, though it says the event starts 11am eastern so it might not go live until then.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the game should have just come out now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The guy who's been leaking Xbox footage says it downloaded a patch when he installed it. But yeah, there's always the chance his build is out of date.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
God, the people in the No Man's Sky Discord have learned nothing in two years. They are extrapolating all sorts of information out of things Sean has and even hasn't said. Like, they are all expecting that the team limit is four players but there can be four teams per server, meaning 16 players. They have said this nowhere. They have repeatedly stated four players and only four players. This is one of many examples of stupid poo poo they've said.

Also any time a leaked video shows something they don't like "it isn't the final build, that will be fixed". Like the release-day build is going to be drastically different than the one they shipped to Sony and Microsoft and fix so many issues. No. It's probably remarkably similar to what we are going to play.

Temper your expectations. I barely trust what Sean has said, let alone making up bullshit he hasn't.

Serf posted:

the game should have just come out now

Ah, the Cube World approach. Look how that worked out.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 23, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think that while Sean Murray gave false information, he didnt do it maliciously. I dont think he lied to get more game sales. I think hes just a nerd that loves his game but didnt do the best job articulating what the play experience would be like. I imagine there are lots of things that he originally thought would be in the game but as time went in it didnt pan out. A good PR dude couldve made the actual bits that were in the game sound exciting and manage expectations on the bits that either werent what they seemed, were removed, or other wise changed.

Of all the things that bug me the most about the game is no planetary rotation. I can stand on the ground, stare at another planet and it never moves even though the sun still rises and sets. Otherwise the game was more or less what I thought itd be when it launched.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chaosapiant posted:

Of all the things that bug me the most about the game is no planetary rotation. I can stand on the ground, stare at another planet and it never moves even though the sun still rises and sets. Otherwise the game was more or less what I thought it’d be when it launched.

I feel you, but I really do appreciate the ability to take awesome pics whenever, as opposed to stopping what I'm doing at the perfect moment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Otherwise the game was more or less what I thought itd be when it launched.

Absolutely. I didn't even own a PS4 at launch but I knew the game simply wouldn't be what it was hyped up to. I followed the thread at launch because it was just a hilarious avalanche of poo poo.

I still bought it when I picked up my PS4 a year later, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game.

I did only pay $25 for it, would probably think a bit less if I had paid $60, but I'm more than happy to pay the $50 for the Xbox version so I can see the pretty colors in 4k.

I'll give my brother my PS4 disc when he comes to visit next month. He's never played it nor did he follow the hype. He's a space nerd like me so I think he's going to be floored. There's going to a be a ton of people who's first experience with NMS is through Next and they're going to love it.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I feel you, but I really do appreciate the ability to take awesome pics whenever, as opposed to stopping what I'm doing at the perfect moment.

Taking pictures is my favorite and it's going to be so rad with the update. I can't wait. Photo modes and game dvrs were my favorite thing about this gen so far. I never knew I wanted them but now that I have them I can never go back.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah, I think the NMS fans in the discord are going to have a rough time when it comes out. They're assuming base permanence (like, you'll see all players' bases, wherever they build them, always) and lobbies of 16 player instances with 4 player co-op parties. That's a LOT of extrapolation. Maybe they've somehow pulled some of that out, but it would be miraculous imo. Especially considering the terrain manipulation, vehicle physics, etc etc.

That said, it would've been good for Hello Games to risk some decreased excitement and spell out the limitations explicitly in their press releases. The talk of 'bumping into random players' and 'making small colonies with your friends' does build a bit of a MMOish image in your mind.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Dehry posted:

Remember the build on the Xbox One disks is going to be a couple months old for the purposes of the publisher getting the disks manufactured, so there could still be some surprises when the game launches.

My PS4 actually gave me a notification about the update, though it says the event starts 11am eastern so it might not go live until then.

Never expect a Day 1 (or whatever day we're on) miracle patch. It's cool if it happens but my experience has been it usually does not happen.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Makes me think of Rust, tbh.

chaosapiant posted:

I think that while Sean Murray gave false information, he didn’t do it maliciously. I don’t think he “lied” to get more game sales.

Oh he 100% "lied". Not sure how anyone can think differently. He's trying to make up for it (and I might eventually buy this when i'm convinced its got a bit of meat to it), but there is a fairly long video i can remember of an interview where they go and disprove tons of said interview 1 by 1.

I'd excuse like, maybe the multiplayer as a "poo poo we thought it'd be ready, sorry guys" but that's about it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

dogstile posted:

Makes me think of Rust, tbh.

Oh he 100% "lied". Not sure how anyone can think differently. He's trying to make up for it (and I might eventually buy this when i'm convinced its got a bit of meat to it), but there is a fairly long video i can remember of an interview where they go and disprove tons of said interview 1 by 1.

I'd excuse like, maybe the multiplayer as a "poo poo we thought it'd be ready, sorry guys" but that's about it.

I didnt say he didnt lie. I said that if he did it wasnt done maliciously. And I believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I hate that I am somewhat interested in this again. I refunded my ps4 digital copy shortly after launch, something they never do, but made an exception because they know Murray was conning everyone.

And I still hate how he conducts himself. Still doesn't seem fully aware, and is getting smug again.

Oooh death threats, I got death threats working on a hockey site. Has he never been on the internet before?

• Locked thread