Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

dogstile posted:

there is a fairly long video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-tgaE37UE

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxRp8jeliQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
The way some people talk about sean murray youd think he loving murdered their parents or something

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eh, Ive seen the videos. A few good points spread out amongst a sea of negativity that, IMO, wasnt largely deserved. I feel the same way about ME:Andromeda. Tons of folks talking about how poo poo the game was, when its biggest sin was that it was just aggressively mediocre.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Legs Benedict posted:

The way some people talk about sean murray youd think he loving murdered their parents or something

Yes, "temper your expectations" is "Sean Murray murdered my parents".

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I liked Andromeda a lot more than NMS.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Arsonide posted:

Yes, "temper your expectations" is "Sean Murray murdered my parents".

Its been like two years and people are still posting in a thread about a game they got refunded and using words like conned; pardon the hyperbole but I also think moving on is healthy and some of the people posting in this thread should do it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I liked Andromeda a lot more than NMS.

I got like three hours into ME:A and stopped. It just didn't click with me. Everything about it seemed so uninspired. I paid $8 so no regrets.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The complaints about this game and Sean Murray were always massively overblown and Next sounds awesome and Im gonna play it a bunch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chaosapiant posted:

I didnt say he didnt lie. I said that if he did it wasnt done maliciously. And I believe that.

Putting "lied" in quotes implies you don't think that said word is true.

It's kind of like if I said chess is a "sport". Sorry man.

Legs Benedict posted:

The way some people talk about sean murray you’d think he loving murdered their parents or something

"hey man, watch that curb, i've tripped on it before"
"what the gently caress did it murder your parents or something".

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im cautiously optimistic about this rerelease and we will see tomorrow.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Eyud posted:

The complaints about this game and Sean Murray were always massively overblown and Next sounds awesome and I’m gonna play it a bunch.

This is erring on the side of revisionism. As has been said, Sean has apologized and the updates have been awesome, but that doesnt change the past.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I haven't played since release so I'm kind of excited to play again tomorrow. Never tried bases or freighters or any of that so the fact that they introduce all that a few hours in sounds great.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's getting pretty ethical ITT

And nobody gives a poo poo if you got death threats on your hockey site. You're coming across like the people who are like "my parents beat the poo poo out of me every other afternoon, and I turned out fine :smuggo:"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Oooh death threats, I got death threats working on a hockey site. Has he never been on the internet before?

What the hell is wrong with you? Death threats are never ok. It only takes one person to go through with it.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yeah, I think the NMS fans in the discord are going to have a rough time when it comes out. They're assuming base permanence (like, you'll see all players' bases, wherever they build them, always) and lobbies of 16 player instances with 4 player co-op parties. That's a LOT of extrapolation. Maybe they've somehow pulled some of that out, but it would be miraculous imo. Especially considering the terrain manipulation, vehicle physics, etc etc.

That said, it would've been good for Hello Games to risk some decreased excitement and spell out the limitations explicitly in their press releases. The talk of 'bumping into random players' and 'making small colonies with your friends' does build a bit of a MMOish image in your mind.

People are always overhyping poo poo and then getting mad when they don't get what they built up in their heads.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You can reduce the percentage by a decent amount by being open about where the game is at at release. The reveal trailer, and no walking back on anything it showed, was one of the really big mistakes.

Yes, but I said in the original NMS thread several times full stop "there is not going to be multiplayer" and lots of people still got really loving upset on release that there wasn't multiplayer.

There's a big thing in the game industry lately where if a game is announced and then takes awhile to be released, gamers legitimately feel they are OWED a better game. That time of release "cost" them so they are owed more in return. Even though the game costs the same amount.

Its real toxic and needs to stop.

But yes, Murray was also a dick for saying it had multiplayer and then going hush on the matter once he realized they weren't delivering on that. I just really don't think it would have made much difference even if he hadn't said that at all. People saw the trailer, got excited, then it got delayed for a couple years and they just told themselves that means the game would be even better. Just gotta stop thinking that way completely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serf posted:

the game should have just come out now

Or even if they'd simply labeled it "early access" until now, they could have avoided a ton of the bad press.

There's a lot of lovely games in early access that nobody cares about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Another thing is that while Hello Games toned down the press talk, the trailer they released is still 100% staged moments. They need to cut that poo poo out.

Other devs do that poo poo too but especially with space games, don't imply more than you have in the game. And other devs don't have the track record they do.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Another thing is that while Hello Games toned down the press talk, the trailer they released is still 100% staged moments. They need to cut that poo poo out.

Other devs do that poo poo too but especially with space games, don't imply more than you have in the game. And other devs don't have the track record they do.

I'd prefer in-game staged moments to inscrutable meaningless action shorts like the trailers for beyond good and evil 2 have been

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

deadly_pudding posted:

And nobody gives a poo poo if you got death threats on your hockey site.

So don't you care about death threats now? Do death threats that literally everyone in the public eye gets matter or not? Make up your mind.

Murray is a garbage human who hid his behaviour behind these claims. He went into hiding for many months after launch, never explained himself and threw out a weak semi-apology two years later to bring attention to the xbox launch.

I've watched enough gameplay videos to realize the game is still bad/boring and will let this thread be again.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

I've watched enough gameplay videos to realize the game is still bad/boring and will let this thread be again.

Please and thanks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

I'd prefer in-game staged moments to inscrutable meaningless action shorts like the trailers for beyond good and evil 2 have been

This is moral relativism and its pointless. There's always a bigger fish / worse crime. "I prefer meaningless action shorts like beyond good and evil 2 to outright scams like star citizen" okay cool buddy.

Its still bad.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Did Murray gently caress up? Yes. Was it his fault that he ended up in front of so many cameras with apparently no handler? Probably not.

It's likely that in that time frame between the original E3 teaser and release, he probably did think that the game would have all those features, because he'd never worked on a project of that scope before and let his imagination get the better of him. More importantly, who cares? Like, who rationally cares? It's a fine games industry tradition for developers to take your $60 and run. I mean, I get it, almost. People thought they were getting Star Citizen Lite if they didn't pay attention to any of the press in the final couple of months leading up to release, and people who play space games (me) love to delude themselves with the fantasy of an infinite universe to explore forever.

What was unique about NMS that made people get so tilted, though? Games fail to live up to their trailers all the time. Was it the timing of it? Were gamers just feeling especially entitled at the time? Was it the simple and common nerd fury that arises every time an antisocial millennial realizes that a product was, perhaps, made for a different audience than themselves?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a big thing in the game industry lately where if a game is announced and then takes awhile to be released, gamers legitimately feel they are OWED a better game. That time of release "cost" them so they are owed more in return. Even though the game costs the same amount.

Its real toxic and needs to stop.

It's always been like that. Social media made it louder. Over and over again games with actual open development come our early access rough, but the devs tell you this, and they tell you their working on it. The devs of We Happy Few are an amazing example, they had in depth dev journals from multiple departments every month (week?)

When you are pushing a full priced game on misinformation you do nothing to correct, you have yourself to blame when people are pissed when they feel you wasted their money, and I dont mean the overentitled dumbasses.

E: I get it dude wasnt used to social media and got hit by a lot, but the silence after all that is what people remember.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 23, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

deadly_pudding posted:

What was unique about NMS that made people get so tilted, though? Games fail to live up to their trailers all the time. Was it the timing of it? Were gamers just feeling especially entitled at the time? Was it the simple and common nerd fury that arises every time an antisocial millennial realizes that a product was, perhaps, made for a different audience than themselves?

All those plus fans of hardcore space sims are especially crazy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This popular YouTube personality put up a funny video of version 1.0 so all your points are invalid and it should be free.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's always been like that. Social media made it louder. Over and over again games with actual open development come our early access rough, but the devs tell you this, and they tell you their working on it. The devs of We Happy Few are an amazing example, they had in depth dev journals from multiple departments every month (week?)

When you are pushing a full priced game on misinformation you do nothing to correct, you have yourself to blame when people are pissed when they feel you wasted their money, and I dont mean the overentitled dumbasses.

IDK I remember games like half-life 2 and warcraft 3 being delayed for something insane like 3 years and just being like 'drat I wanna play it' and not like 'drat this game is going to give me free blowjobs when it finally comes out since it took so long'

But somewhere recently that started being a huge thing. It wasn't until like, 2010 that it started getting real bad from my observation. Before then people just didn't act that way. Social media made it louder, but even when there was the internet it was basically invisible if it happened, maybe on some nerd's geocities page where he posted an all caps rant, but who cares. Now it spreads through reddit and other groups and it becomes the prevailing way of thinking.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

But it's not just NMS that gamers get tilted about. Many gamers get tilted as the dumbest poo poo like the word ban in R6 Siege or the Mass Effect endings.

Yeah the NMS situation was kind of not what was promised. But to the point of sending death threats or writing long rear end paragraphs about how upset you are. Worst case scenario, you are out of $60. Best case scenario, you got a full refund.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This is moral relativism and its pointless. There's always a bigger fish / worse crime. "I prefer meaningless action shorts like beyond good and evil 2 to outright scams like star citizen" okay cool buddy.

Its still bad.

That's totally fair too, it would obviously be better to release gameplay videos, but even in that situation you want to stage at least some stuff to make sure you show off what you want. Plus, i don't know that id trust gameplay videos any more than this considering they were the bulk of the maybe a little misleading marketing campaign to behind with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

But it's not just NMS that gamers get tilted about. Many gamers get tilted as the dumbest poo poo like the word ban in R6 Siege or the Mass Effect endings.

Yeah the NMS situation was kind of not what was promised. But to the point of sending death threats or writing long rear end paragraphs about how upset you are. Worst case scenario, you are out of $60. Best case scenario, you got a full refund.

People are dumb but I do think the NMS response registered higher. There's some people on twitter complaining they can't say the n-word without getting banned in R6, I argued with a couple of them. But unless you check R6 twitter you'd have no idea. Meanwhile NMS bitching was front page on several gaming sites and reddit for days.

deadly_pudding posted:

I think its something about "space game" that makes people suddenly expect videogames to do things that videogames don't do. Its weird but that seems to be the factor. You mention space game and suddenly everybody is having flashbacks to playing pretend as a child and wishing they were Luke Skywalker.

Star Citizen would be the same thing but worse, but they've done two magic things. One, they got people to pay them SO MUCH money that they're not committed and can't admit the game sucks or they have to admit they suck, and Two, they just keep delaying the game endlessly so it never has to actually come out at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

That's totally fair too, it would obviously be better to release gameplay videos, but even in that situation you want to stage at least some stuff to make sure you show off what you want. Plus, i don't know that id trust gameplay videos any more than this considering they were the bulk of the maybe a little misleading marketing campaign to behind with.

No I'm not sure you do have to stage anything. If the game has core gameplay features that aren't implemented yet; don't advertise it yet. I think premature advertising is a huge problem in this industry. It builds that "hype" which marketing used to think was a good thing (increased word of mouth, awareness of the product) but now seems to be a negative them (shock and negative reaction when the game isn't the be-all-end-all)

I think keeping your game mostly under-wraps until its about done and then blowing everybody away is underrated.

If you're going to show off gameplay, have the gameplay actually playable. And show what it really looks like. If you have to stage things, that means they're not done yet, which means you shouldn't advertise them yet, as that forms a sort of "promise" on the game's future features, which you may end up cutting.

Valve has learned this the hard way and now they won't advertise any games ahead of time in case they change design later on. Its the right move.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah that's the thing that's always wildly alien to me. It's $60, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's like the brain glitch that makes people think they own you like property because they watched you make their five dollar footlong. I have never been disrespected worse by the general public than when I worked in fast food, but I suppose I probably would be if I ever release a video game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

I think your extrapolating a loud minority of trolls jumping on a bandwagon to genuine, understandable criticism. Everyone loves a story about people being pissed about something, so the poo poo gets blown up.

Also other countries arent so lucky on the electronic pricing front.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I came to this thread to find info about NMS Next, and instead I find people still bitching and making the same exact arguments about the original release from two years ago.

Never change, goons.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

panda clue posted:

I came to this thread to find info about NMS Next, and instead I find people still bitching and making the same exact arguments about the original release from two years ago.

Never change, goons.

Yeah it rules. Hopefully tomorrow Next will drop and we can get to talking about important stuff like how big Gek penises are or something

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Legs Benedict posted:

Yeah it rules. Hopefully tomorrow Next will drop and we can get to talking about important stuff like how big Gek penises are or something

Well clearly given the highth to width ratio...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Geks are space frogs so they probably just have cloacas.

I'm counting the hours until the enormous changelog dump to pick through.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

Geks are space frogs so they probably just have cloacas.

I'm counting the hours until the enormous changelog dump to pick through.

Okay but Vykeen?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think your extrapolating a loud minority of trolls jumping on a bandwagon to genuine, understandable criticism. Everyone loves a story about people being pissed about something, so the poo poo gets blown up.

Also other countries arent so lucky on the electronic pricing front.

Even if the electronic pricing front is different for different countries, does that mean one needs to run out and buy the game day 1 without waiting for reviews? But I guess that will continue to happen.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Legs Benedict posted:

Okay but Vykeen?

Lightning fast reproductive prong capable of shattering concrete. Ultimate warrior in the streets, also ultimate warrior in the sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

haveblue, could you please add the link to our discord to the first post?

Its https://discord.gg/QUjd3zK so you dont have to scroll back

• Locked thread