Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Went looking for ideas for my base layout and now I'm just discouraged after seeing this. But maybe there's hope. At least I know it's possible for a base to be pretty swank and not just some kinda space trailer park.

That is extremely cool. Shame that the storage containers are so goddamn awful to use in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
My biggest problem with base layout/construction is that I always wind up having flora growing through the floors and foundations are lovely to use since they don't loving snap to any sort of grid, which makes connecting your buildings insanely difficult

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Yeah I wish base building worked like the photo mode. I'd be able to do much more if I could pan around the area and build from above.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Beastie posted:

Yeah I wish base building worked like the photo mode. I'd be able to do much more if I could pan around the area and build from above.

This is an excellent idea TBH. I can understand the verisimilitude the game is going for with first person and having you do everything from that POV (barring rovers), but HG could contextualize it around using your scanner or something and just have an overhead and completely adjustable camera, introduce grid snapping, etc. Essentially make it a 3D overhead base building game in UI, let me see a window of all my my blueprints on one side in a window and everything. Hopefully they end up going that route because building in first person isn't the best

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Penpal posted:

This is an excellent idea TBH. I can understand the verisimilitude the game is going for with first person and having you do everything from that POV (barring rovers), but HG could contextualize it around using your scanner or something and just have an overhead and completely adjustable camera, introduce grid snapping, etc. Essentially make it a 3D overhead base building game in UI, let me see a window of all my my blueprints on one side in a window and everything. Hopefully they end up going that route because building in first person isn't the best

Add a special buildable console that lets you manage a Local Survey Drone or whatever.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
What's the loving point in the exo vehicles other than the near scanner? They are slow as gently caress and their storage is disconnected so if I want to transfer something from it I need to send it to my ship and then be close to my ship to transfer it to my inventory! Am I missing some weird magic trick or is this really how it is supposed to work?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Went looking for ideas for my base layout and now I'm just discouraged after seeing this. But maybe there's hope. At least I know it's possible for a base to be pretty swank and not just some kinda space trailer park.

Yeah there's a lot of amazing bases out there. On PC (not sure about PS4) there's no Height limit so you can literally build space elevators.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

the panacea posted:

What's the loving point in the exo vehicles other than the near scanner? They are slow as gently caress and their storage is disconnected so if I want to transfer something from it I need to send it to my ship and then be close to my ship to transfer it to my inventory! Am I missing some weird magic trick or is this really how it is supposed to work?

I agree the exocrafts are stupid, but you need them to mine Detritum at least, dunno if that's it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the exocrafts are fun for doing sick jumps off mountains and hitting Photo Mode while you're in midair

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
You also aren't freezing/mutating/melting/getting space ebola while you're using them, so there's that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The big exocraft is impossible to control and slow as gently caress. The medium exocraft also sucks to drive around. The speeder is fun as gently caress to drive but I still don't know why it exists when I can just call my ship down for a minimal plutonium cost. Also are the exocraft scanners kinda busted?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Yodzilla posted:

Also are the exocraft scanners kinda busted?

It kinda seems like all scanners are kinda busted.

edit: my game appropriately gave me an eclipse while teleporting just now.

and this is my home planet now.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 22, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I randomly stumbled across a nifty replacement for my starter craft - a 44 slot hauler.

I am going to crash markets repairing all the slots, though.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I just waited 20 minutes of my life and reloaded my game four times because I had finally found all the animals on a planet and thought my game had glitched and wasn't giving me credit for finding them all.

Pro-tip: Once you find all your animals, go to the discovery page, hit E on each one to upload it, and then click the loving animal paw in the upper right to collect your reward. I don't think there's anything that points you towards doing that last step.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does the game still do that thing where the cost of repairing a crashed ship is prohibitively expensive, to the point where just getting a new ship is cheaper?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
If you fix *all* the slots it's often way more expensive than buying an equivalent ship outright, but if you're just starting out and fix slots as you go it's a good way to get a bunch of slots cheaper + quicker than shopping about for a new ship.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love it, I got the first base from the story on a "great world" that turned out to be a desert shithole. Meanwhile there's a base I can claim on a paradise planet just next door. I get the feeling the Apollo guy doesn't have my best interests at heart....

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Dreadwroth posted:

I love it, I got the first base from the story on a "great world" that turned out to be a desert shithole. Meanwhile there's a base I can claim on a paradise planet just next door. I get the feeling the Apollo guy doesn't have my best interests at heart....

This exact thing happened to me. I set up shop on the nice lush world next door.

I'm pretty sure there's habitable bases on 90% of planets. Anywhere that can spawn actual buildings will have bases somewhere. Build a beacon and search for one if you find a planet you like.

toiletbrush posted:

If you fix *all* the slots it's often way more expensive than buying an equivalent ship outright, but if you're just starting out and fix slots as you go it's a good way to get a bunch of slots cheaper + quicker than shopping about for a new ship.

Yeah I found a 29slot ship pretty early, and just repaired a handful to begin with. As I made more money I fixed up more. Now the last couple are still broken but I'm making enough cash not to bother, I've started looking for a new ship outright which has more slots.

Probably going to bite the bullet and lose my fighter for a freighter with full slot capacity, dunno if I wanna be limited to 38.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 22, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Apollo's given me a mission saying that I won't be back for some time. Is this some point of no return stuff? I've competed most base quests apart from the last couple of farming ones, is there anything I absolutely should do before progressing?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Apollo's given me a mission saying that I won't be back for some time. Is this some point of no return stuff? I've competed most base quests apart from the last couple of farming ones, is there anything I absolutely should do before progressing?

Do your base missions till you have the exosuit glove at least , it will come in handy, and lots of supplies of iron, protein and so forth, you will be wasting a huge amount in a short time compared to the rest of the game

Edit: Oh also make sure you do the Rover part of the base, as you will be doing a lot of running on foot with no ship

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

As of 1.33, will any of the Apollo base stuff bug out if I relocate after I've started? I've only hired one guy and am finding platinum for a science terminal so not very far in.

He gave me a plain and bare planet for my base too, and there's a much nicer one nearby. I remember a lot of bugs related to base moving earlier, but maybe they're sorted now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stevefin posted:

Do your base missions till you have the exosuit glove at least , it will come in handy, and lots of supplies of iron, protein and so forth, you will be wasting a huge amount in a short time compared to the rest of the game

Edit: Oh also make sure you do the Rover part of the base, as you will be doing a lot of running on foot with no ship

Yeah I've done all that, I think the only base questline still open for me is the farming one (just done the gravitino orb).

Oh yeah is there a recipe for dynamic resonators you can get? It's the only thing I regularly need that I still have to buy instead of craft.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah is there a recipe for dynamic resonators you can get? It's the only thing I regularly need that I still have to buy instead of craft.

Yes there is. I got it last night with one of the conversations with a Korvax on a space station.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

The_Doctor posted:

Does the game still do that thing where the cost of repairing a crashed ship is prohibitively expensive, to the point where just getting a new ship is cheaper?

The cost of repair increases with each slot so it may depend on the number of slots you have to repair. I repaired about a dozen and the last one was something like 100k-200k.

However, I can confirm that damaged slots count against your trade value now. I did a compare with some damaged slots, looked at the difference I'd have to pay, fixed a slot, then compared again, and the difference was less, but not by the full cost of the repair. Probably just the 30% trade penalty in effect.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Apollo also directed me towards an inhospitable planet, with acid rain. It has a decent amount of resources, you just have to micromanage your vitals when you go out to collect them.

It's extra frustrating because I figured marking my own base would maybe break the quest, so I went with a location that the contact suggested.

There's a cool Overgrown Planet in this system with tons of fauna and resources. I went there and built a few signal boosters but wasn't able to locate a base.

It's stuff like this that frustrates me. Along with a weird bug of I turned the camera while in the cockpit and the camera was all wonked out.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Party Boat posted:

Regarding that mission: this is not a point of no return, more a point of "it will be ~20-30 minutes before you can access your base". You have to do some flying about on a couple planets on the system, and then something cool happens that I will not spoil. Then you need to track down your ship on a planet again but once you find it you can get back to the system's space station and back to your base and off into the universe like usual.

Beastie posted:

Apollo also directed me towards an inhospitable planet, with acid rain. It has a decent amount of resources, you just have to micromanage your vitals when you go out to collect them.

It's extra frustrating because I figured marking my own base would maybe break the quest, so I went with a location that the contact suggested.

There's a cool Overgrown Planet in this system with tons of fauna and resources. I went there and built a few signal boosters but wasn't able to locate a base.

It's stuff like this that frustrates me. Along with a weird bug of I turned the camera while in the cockpit and the camera was all wonked out.

A bit late for you, I'm afraid, but for others at this spot: you are not locked into Apollo's choice for your base. You can tell his contact on the space station that you'll find your own base, and he'll shrug and say do whatever while still marking the base he chose for you on your system map. In my play through he wanted me to build my base on an absolute shithole with high toxicity, while that very same planet had a verdant moon with no hazards at all. I built my base on the moon and continued the story fine.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Yeah, before I went to his marked habitable base location I checked out my Overgrown Planet. I built two signal boosters but didn't find a location. So I had to go with Apollo's contact's.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Beastie posted:

Yeah, before I went to his marked habitable base location I checked out my Overgrown Planet. I built two signal boosters but didn't find a location. So I had to go with Apollo's contact's.

I went to another system entirely. They really do need to make it clear in the mission that you just need to build a base and it can be anywhere.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

New patch is up

quote:

Hello Travellers!

Today we’re releasing Patch 1.33, which addresses a number of reported issues. Here's a look at what to expect:

-Fixed issue where player bases were given the name “Unknown Base” rather than a generated name
-Fixed S-class ships having incorrect pricing and numbers of slots
-Added rockets to starting ship in creative default save game
-Added new icon for solo difficulty AI ships
-Fixed Albumen Pearl plants using the wrong name on their interaction labels
-Fixed the landing marker being visible in some fighter cockpits
-Fixed texturing issue seen with some combinations of AMD GPU and drivers
-Added and improved audio at the ending of the Atlas path
-Added and improved audio for terrain editing
-Improved audio for missions
-Improvement to vehicle boost timings
-Made marker for rare graves stay up for the same time as other object markers
-Prevented trees in frozen biomes spawning close to or intersecting buildings
-Fixed issue where travelling through the centre of the galaxy could sometimes take you back to the same galaxy
-Fixed issue where mission waypoints on the galactic map would not be for your current mission
-Improved UI error messages relating to missions on the galactic map
-Improved ship speed output on ship HUD
-Increased guidance for finding Convergence Cubes as part of the scientist mission
-Prevented some tutorials (for example for life support) from being shown in your log
-Prevented Artemis being visible in the holohub after they should have left
-Protected against some cases where missions can send you to depot which has already been destroyed
-Improved binocular scanning for background objects
-Prevented binocular scanning flicking between multiple objects
-Added ability to scan all building types and fixed their displayed names
-Added ability to scan ships
-Fixed text truncation on binocular HUD
-Added the option to display temperatures in Celcius, Fahrenheit or Kelvin regardless of locale
-Fixed display of longer planet names on the discovery page UI
-Added ability to cancel in progress missions
-Added faction icons on the galactic map
-Improved ship handling when booster upgrades are installed
-Fixed mission notifications showing an incorrect icon for Electron Vapour
-Fixed an issue where portals you’ve returned through could not be updated to a different address
-Improved visuals around icons for different inventories
-Added joypad and keyboard controls for switching between inventories
-Fixed galactic map showing joypad prompts for changing filters when playing on mouse and keyboard
-Fixed issue where players could lose the teleport destination they needed to complete the Mind Arc mission
-Fixed players getting stuck in an interaction with the armourer if they hadn’t yet built a terminal
-Fix for visual artifacts from transparent objects showing through the warp effect
-Reduced cases where terrain editing changes are lost when reloading a save
-Reduced difficulty of the final armourer mission
-Improved low flight mode handling
-Fixed crash in string translation when loading certain saves
-Added missing scan event icon to the Antimatter tutorial
-Fixed terrain editor being built with full charge
-Fixed occasional hang in displaying some multi-byte characters
-Improved saving and loading of terrain edits
-Fixed issue where upgrading from a previous save would cause player bases to be floating or underground
-Fixed very occasional crash in rendering
-Fixed occasional crash relating to destructible objects
-Prevented the interaction camera occasionally triggering at inappropriate times
-Fixed the Farmer displaying the wrong text for their final mission
-Prevented pinned missions occasionally being deselected on warp
-Fixed issue where players could become stuck in the final atlas station
-Improved automatically selecting missions from NPCs in your base when they begin
-Improved pricing of base building parts in normal mode

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Bruteman posted:

New patch is up

-Made marker for rare graves stay up for the same time as other object markers

good.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The thing with ship ? markers being miles away might be because they always seem to have a landing pad.

It might just be my good luck but every time I've followed one of those markers they've lead me to a trade depot or one of those outposts that has a landing pad and a market terminal.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

The game has a scanner, I should be able to scan everything. I was in a space station chilling with the bros and I tried to scan all of the patrons and got nothing. It would add a lot to the game if there was flavour text on everything, because right now if I point my scanner at a korvax/gek/vykeen bro it's like they don't even exist. Being able to scan ships is a good direction.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a few hours into the game and am worried I've hit a wall with the main story.

I built a hyperdrive, but have only found enough fuel to jump one lightyear.

The game wants me to jump to another system, but everything is too far away.

Should I keep checking out the local planets until I find more antimatter and wait for more to be for sale, or am I missing something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I'm a few hours into the game and am worried I've hit a wall with the main story.

I built a hyperdrive, but have only found enough fuel to jump one lightyear.

The game wants me to jump to another system, but everything is too far away.

Should I keep checking out the local planets until I find more antimatter and wait for more to be for sale, or am I missing something?

If you continue through the quests you should get the antimatter blueprint soon. If you're on a planet and don't have a quest objective fly out to space.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Also, even though it's not a hard recipe, they pretty much give you the basic components for warp cells /anti-matter in the crates near outpost save stations. I just wish you could sell warp cells, they have a monetary value

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Penpal posted:

Also, even though it's not a hard recipe, they pretty much give you the basic components for warp cells /anti-matter in the crates near outpost save stations. I just wish you could sell warp cells, they have a monetary value

It irrationally bugs the poo poo out of me that Suspension Fluid costs 20k to buy but you can only sell it for like 100 units. This almost makes sense now that you can craft it from 50 Carbon but still, it's dumb.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Anyone know if this update's 'correction' of S-Class ship prices also reined in Freighter costs at all?

And where do you go about getting the higher levels of Atlas Pass?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I haven't seen them in 1.3 yet, but you used to get them from Polo. I imagine that's still the case.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Previously atlas pass v2and v3 came from Polo after you'd spoken to him a whole bunch of times. I think I hit my 40th encounter before he coughed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I read a few pages back about releasing the trigger for a moment to completely empty the heat meter on my mining laser, so that's made collecting stuff a lot easier.

I've visited about 5 or 6 different space stations, and I went to the teleporter in my base, and it only gave me the option to teleport to 3 of them. Is there something I need to do to get the full list of the various systems I can beam to, or is it restricted to the last couple I've been to? I'm on PS4 if it makes a difference.

• Locked thread