Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Finally they fixed the game so I could actually beat it. For whatever reason the ending sequence crashed the game back to desktop before patch, so there's that. I tried to play more, but almost fell asleep. Think I'll go play more Terraria that I just purchased a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

twit666 posted:

When do I get the upgrade to my mining beam so I can harvest exotics?
You eventually get it when doing the base building missions.

I've had this game since launch, played quite a bit before very first patch, then stopped until the most recent patch.

I like this game because of the chill factor, and it's steam controller friendly. I'm currently in the Calypso dimension and knocking out various tasks such as maxing out reputations, and milestones. I've retrieved 10/16 glyphs. After 200 hours of play I finally got my atlas v2 & v3 pass. I got myself a 34-slot freighter with 6 48-slot ships. I blitzed through all the base building missions so I can later on enjoy building a base with all blueprints available from the get go.

My multitool consists of mostly beam weaponry and mining. The other weaponry is pointless and uses up precious slots for scanning blueprints. Just use maxed out beams for everything.

TODO list:
  • Obtain all 16 glyphs (6 more to go)
  • Get max rank for the 3 guilds (like 85% accomplished so far)
  • Find 48 slot freighter (do these even exist since most recent patch?)
  • Complete the atlas missions (haven't started on it at all)
  • Find one more blueprint for a ship weapon
  • Retrieve rest of the blueprints for exocraft crap (50% done)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Do I have this right? To get to the center of the galaxy you are supposed to take black holes, which will make things go faster. I have taken two of them so far, and each time they have gotten me roughly 6000 light years closer to the center... but I still have 696053 light years to go? The game expects me to do this 100+ more times?
That's the old school way of doing it, that and just warp after warp towards center too. There's a much much quicker way about doing it, but first you have to do some base building missions to a point where you can use the teleport system AND build a signal booster . Then you have to obtain the very first glyph. Also grab a Vy'keen dagger.

Once you achieve those things, here's what you do:

1. Plop your rear end down on a planet in a Vy'Keen dominant system
  2. Build a signal booster
  3. Search for a monolith
  4. Fly to the monolith
  5. Give dagger to monolith in exchange for location a portal
  6. Fly to portal
  7. Charge portal and input all coordinates with only the first glyph
  8. Walk through portal and build another signal booster and search for new home base
  9. Walk/run to new home base and activate ownership.
  10. Walk/run back through portal and hop back into your starship
  11. Fly starship to any space station
  12. Walk through space station teleport (your destination will always be your home base)
  13. Walk outside and recall your starship.
  14. Hop in starship, fly up to space, and pull out your galaxy map
  15. Voila, you're only a couple warps from center of galaxy

It's literally 30 minutes at most.

e: Two more things I should mention. When you walk through that portal and search for a habitable base, it's possible that the closest base could be like a 12 hour walk. So I guess it's best to all glyphs before portalling your way to the core. That way, you return through the portal and change the last (12th) address glyph input as something else so you'll be portalled to another really close planet to the center/core and search for a closer habitable base.

The other things is, just encountered a weird glitch, on my return through portal the game switched to another ship I owned in my freighter :/. Thankfully it didn't need any repairs.

e2: Another wise thing to do is at least get a second disposable ship before entering galactic center or at least put the most costly technologies in the technology slots of your starship.

ijii fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 14, 2017

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
That bad design pisses me off too. When friendly firing on a ship, have it take no damage at first. After several hits against the ship, then turn it to a hostile target.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
NMS has many weaknesses, story included. Just saying, if you never reach the center of the galaxy (end of game), you aren't missing anything. NMS's strength is having a chill time while casually exploring planets and building bases.

I recommend building a base ASAP in order to unlock all the various equipment / technology. Grind out some money so you can purchase a freighter. Once you have a freighter, you can build a pseudo base on it and take it wherever you want.

• Locked thread