Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
As was true in 1.0, modding out lift off costs makes the game exponentially better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

My restart on Survival has me with plenty of everything... except the 300 Heridium I need to leave. The closest deposit of it is 12 minutes away.

I'm thinking the best plan is "run for it and hope I can teleport the Heridium back to my ship before I die".

No Rogue's Like

Mine was 7 minutes away, and I was able to find some thamium plants along the way. You're on survival though, so :shrug:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I mean when you first start and your just trying to get your crashed ship into something usable, a little difficulty isn't necessarily a bad thing, but try to save on what you can find at first and use that to survive. But yeah, a far off Heridium is annoying.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

After the foundation update I've spent a good amount of time in it and really getting into the base building aspect now. In my search for Spadonium(took about 40 planets and 12 systems before I found a planet with it, and it was a planet so red it hurt to look at), I found that occasionally there are different biomes on a planet now, it seems. Was on a grassy planet and then came across a totally barren, lifeless section of it, with nothing but thaumium for a large span, before returning to wilderness. If they improved the worldgen so there were actual distinguishable biomes on each planet, it'd make them way less samey imo.

I wonder what thing they'll focus on next. First update was freighters/base-building, two things people requested a shitload. Improved NPCs? Story? Worldgen? I'd probably want better worldgen/varied flora and fauna updated before NPCs/story personally.

And we know there's a poo poo ton of unused Flora sizes and things from mods implementing them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

That narrators voice is painful, what accent even is that? It sounds like a text to speech robot.

Jesus, yeah, I think that's just what happens when you try to pronounce every loving consonant perfectly.

Also it was pretty funny that while No Mans Sky won a GDC award, the devs were too busy eating rather than being at the ceremony because they didn't think they'd win. It's just embarrassment after embarrassment.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 8, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Regarding the ARG, does anyone have any idea what the cached sites you aren't allowed to post on the Reddit are?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, I just went down that rabbit hole for the past few hours. The next radio broadcast to unlock the (I assume) next to last site is on the first, so shits wrapping up, making the timing for an anniversary update dogstile was talking about more than probable to me.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 28, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I want one of those gold Atlas Passes. They're sending out 10,000 of 'em.

Hell yeah, the little survey was interesting.

For those not following, it's pretty official this is all leading up to update 1.3 in august, as many assumed.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh how do I get one?

csd.atlas-65.com, it'll send a survey with poo poo like "how is a dream realistic" and other spacey questions.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SlothBear posted:

But...why?

:shrug: the arg has two phases left.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I sent in my picture of wind chimes, haven't done the decoding yet.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

WarpDogs posted:

I can't find it now, but I saw some post on Reddit that claimed there were less than 10,000 participants and that pretty much anyone that gave their address will get one. they're printing them now so don't expect it for awhile

I mean id be really surprised if 10,000 signed up, so I'm actually kind of hopeful everyone gets an Atlas pass.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
An interesting rumor going around (I say rumor because I didn't bother to check if it was legit :effort:), is that the Yes or No final choice mattered and they produced two endings.

I like that we got what you could call a good ending, because with the Myriad sites Zalgo text to the Majors concerns of Emily "playing nice" and being manipulative, it could have been more Glados-y.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Emails out, 1.3 this week!

quote:

Update 1.3 will release this weekand will be available for free to all No Man’s Sky players. We're calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Man’s Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.

Also, I guess the arg participants are part of the origin story in that we helped create the AI.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 8, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

gently caress me.

Just got home, gotta toke up and lose myself in sunsets

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Welp, getting a 'steam isn't running/liscence error' and restarting steam wont work. I can't even play :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the worst, I've had that problem with other Steam games. Make sure you run steam as administrator and then browse to the game and run it as administrator too. But yeah, sucks.

Yeah, I did all the fixes I could find, Windows had the redistributable folder of no man's sky locked the gently caress down and even as admin I coudnt gently caress with it. Long story short Steam isn't going to be in program files anymore.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap a whole new install dir wouldn't even work. I've verified integrity, restarted my computer, deleted the download cache I don't know what else to do but wait for a freaking crack.

E:Ah, the new update really didn't like the fact my steam was out of date. What the hell.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 12, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The little quality of life improvements are so nice.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Am I tripping balls or did they add a black space like ours with the update, or has that been in all along and I somehow never saw it?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CrashCat posted:

Don't worry, that line will peter out soon and you will be left alone again to wander off to whatever. In fact the warp ability was basically the end of the line in the original, you wouldn't pick anything at all up for a long time after that which was another common gripe.

So how much was added to the main quest?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hoooly poo poo! I need to explore more. Space madness here I come!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man there's some stuff they haven't added that just boggles my mind. Like just a simple tag that shows me if a waypoint/place of interest is one I've already visited or not. The ability to go back in conversation menus instead of always cancelling out/restarting the whole thing Every. Single. Time.
A "model viewer" type option so you can actually look at the stupid animals you find, instead of just that thumbnail-sized picture.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and they've already done this stuff :smith:

You used to be able to view a 3d model of flora and fauna

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So found my first non hostile weather planet with hostile rear end sentinels. Funny, the poo poo they're made of sells for much more than the gravity balls they were protecting.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

this drives me insane, hello games definitely seem like they should know that people want to be able to point themselves at a destination and pack a bowl in the 1:30 it takes to get there without having to fumble for the controller and manually make adjustments so that it doesn't take literally ten times as long

'Is this conducive to smoking weed' should have been bullet point 1 of the design document.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hate to be a necromancer, but I was going through some old mail and found an envelope I hadn't opened. It was an Atlas pass from the ARG. Did they ever do anything with them?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Oh cool, so I actually haven't missed the opportunity

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meridian posted:

Holy poo poo, if this is my actual issue, I'm stupid and bad.

Windows 10 power settings, changed advanced power settings, turn off hard disk after (was set at 20) to never. Will give a trip report tomorrow.

I had to do some fuckery I dont remember because changing that option didnt actually stop the eHD from turning off in my case, but I hope you dont have to go that far.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yaaay, I seem to have acquired a bug that hasn't been fixed in a year. Any time I try to scan I get an immediate hard crash. I used to be able to play fine on this exact set up, wtf.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dogstile posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone is expecting this game to actually deliver, tbh. Even the guys I know who are testing it are just laughing whenever that lying bellend is wheeled out to talk more.

Oh hey, you're the one who overheard dudes in a pub last year arent you? That's funny/sad even the testers are like that at this point.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So this scan crash is weird because it only happens in normal mode and not creative. It just sucks that I havent been able to do the story since they updated it, I dont get why you cant do it in creative, unless I'm mistaken

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mailer posted:

That stream wasn't a thing to hype up the patch. It was to hype up the xbone getting a previously console exclusive game. Microsoft is willing to take what it can get these days.

:boom:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly. I mean there is an update coming adding multiplayer, but "big" is iffy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I still have no idea what the new story they added in the last few updates is. I cant do story mode without scanning crashing my game, but it works fine in free mode.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Elite Dangerous is the best Space Trucking game theres ever been so if just chillin as a space trucker sounds like your jam it's the game for you. I hear there's combat and poo poo but pbbff

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chaosapiant posted:

Elite is one of my favorite games these days and I adore the poo poo out of it in VR. NMS needs VR.

Yeah, I've heard nothing makes grown men weep like Seymore like Elite in VR. Lucky!

E: I really hope they fix my crash bug with this update because I would love to play the new updates not in free mode or survival.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Foglet posted:

There's a Star Citizen joke around here somewhere but it won't come out.

Lol hell yeah

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I remember Spore too

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

xilni posted:

It’s intentional that lots of companies release updates on tuesdays or in the middle of the week in general.

Your dev team is at work, worst thing ever is having to come to work on a weekend because your new release went bad.

Also allows them to gradually see how it goes instead of immediately getting slammed by the weekend mass and then having everyone complain about how their new release ruined their weekend.

Wasnt the Tuesday release for some financial reason back when games that came out were done. Y'know, before the patching days of console gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

AirRaid posted:

No. In America there wasn’t really a set date. And then.. are you ready for this? Sega did a marketing stunt for Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Sonic Tuesday, they called it. And then releasing games on Tuesday became A Thing. Because of a pun.

That's actually pretty hilarious

• Locked thread