Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How do bases work if you pick a spot on a new planet? Do you start from scratch? Disassemble the old one? I hired a Gek builder but I'm thinking I want a cool Korvax staff, I hope I can switch.

Not to mention the planet I picked mine for, while the spot looks super cool, seems to lag a lot.

On the patch as a whole, I'm surprised how much I enjoy the game now. It still needs a lot for me to say it's "good" outright to anyone asking, but I am a *giant* sucker for base building and the idea of a owning a freighter is cool, too. Hopefully we get a few more cool content patches like this and a reinspired mod community and within a year or two have something I can look at and say "It's Good!"

Not to :can: but I'm surprised that the game could have been much improved, at least in my eyes, with only one extra quarter of development. I'm not sure I would have tried as hard to refund if it launched at 1.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Playing on normal I haven't had trouble with plutonium. If you find a big crystal of it make sure to grab all of the mini crystals around it, too, all together that usually grabs me quite a bit that I only do it once a planet (and usually land several times.)
If you're on PC, there's a mod that halves (or x.25) your launch cost that I really like because 12.5% for each take off feels about right to me.

I have more trouble finding thaumium 9 for warp fuel. It seems like you can only either find it from sparse flowers (dumb) or randomly in small amounts from asteroids. I wish there was a more reliable source, either more consistent asteroids (or a way to scan them!) or crystals or something.

Edit: and Zinc, too. Anything that is sourced only from flowers and needed in large amounts is annoying.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is any progression actually gated behind the story (whether nada and polo or atlas?) can i get both the atlas passes and warp reactors with out bothering with those dudes?

Also, how do I get the loving warp reactor blueprints? I feel like I should be progressing more effectively. I have tons of money but I just can't seem to leverage it into upgrades.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So for anyone playing that might have shared my shoes:

Do the Nada and Polo poo poo first and always. Nada is whatever, but Polo has 'missions' completed by achieving certain discovery milestones that give you the warp drives and atlas passes. You can hit the wiki for the game if you want to make sure you have the milestone done before you hit the next of their space stations.

I'm fairly certain they spawn randomly after an amount of time so just play and when you feel like it hop off to another system and they'll eventually be there.

The Atlas path I think gives you the passes but not the drives, so gently caress that weird blob.

Had I known the above I wouldn't have spent so long hunting down blueprints on planets looking for the warp drives. I wasn't going to spoil... whatever the stupid loving plots for the two paths are, but after I started getting already known blueprints I thought I had a game breaking glitch and looked it up. Instead I think I've exhausted the 'loot table' for blueprints and getting nonsense ones again.

God, I am a sucker for building a little zen garden of a base and that breathed life into the game for me, but leave it up to Hello Games to have left no loving clue as to how to unlock the other stars to even look at the other types of planets. I nearly put the whole thing down again over that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

The only 'new' thing you'll find in differently classed star systems is a few new elements, they're literally identical otherwise. Realising that is where I stopped playing last time.

I'm stopping this time because even though base building is great, gathering and managing resources is unbearably grindy and utterly broken in typical Hello Games style, and there's still no 'game'.

I know, but I mostly want more options for a color palette of the planet and sky.

That said I think I'm probably done until another Foundations like patch. I'm hitting the same wall and losing interest in building my base, and there's several other actually good games I could be playing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I have to agree. The update got me some traction but the base of it just got so tiring again despite *some* improvement.

I'll likely put it on the shelf again until another big update.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah this patch desperately needs a bug fix but beyond that if this was the launch release I would have been happy with the game. Bases and missions give enough of a functional sense of progression that it gives things just enough purpose to be fun.

It's still kind of grindy at times but not the worst thing ever.

Don't get me wrong there's still a lot I would change but I can at least safely add this to a list of "games I'll play" from "games I wish I refunded."

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I find it's less grindy and more of an excuse to stop and look at even more cool planets. :3:

Also yeah there's like a thousand things I want to add to this game along with making the UI better, but for what it is, well, it's really good!

So far it's not bad but credits seem hard to come by and until I get the farming quests done and build up production (which seems like it takes a good chunk of time) I don't see how I'll afford some of the ships ahead of me.

Freighters seem insanely priced. I have no idea how I'll ever get 100m+ credits without either cheating or spending a hundred hours literally watching plants grow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Does anyone have an up to date (1.3) method or guide for making freighter money? Even the best advice is like "grow gravitation orbs! I'm just printing money!" And that's like, what, 20k per orb per hour? Are people just making 50+ planters?

I know I don't *need* a freighter, but how in the blue hell am I supposed to raise 100mil+ in not 100hours of playtime?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

precision posted:

Freighters are way past "midgame content" and you really shouldn't worry about one. Or play in Creative mode.

Please don't tell me that because I said "I'm not interested in spending 100+ hours to get one cool thing" you said "well that must mean you're in the midgame!"

I really hope I'm 3/4 up the hill with the grind and soon I'll set up money making so I can actually buy stuff faster! ...right?

Right?

It's still a garbage grind at the end, isn't it? :(

I'll check out that guide after work though, thanks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

precision posted:

Well... nobody knows right now because 1.3 changed a LOT. They nerfed some ways to make money but have added others, and people are still figuring things out. There are a ton of new crafting recipes and so forth.

But in 1.2, getting a Freighter was something you could do in... probably 20 hours or less, if you pursue a single-minded dedication to only doing that.

If you really want lots of money fast you can do that, but like I said it would probably be better to do it in Creative mode. For better or worse, this is a game you're intended to engage with as much as you want. You could even explore the whole galaxy in your starter ship.

I just hate games that have no in between of free->100hours of boring. Creative isn't fun because part of the impressiveness and satisfaction of creating is the build up, not just slapping 50 prefabs together or having a freighter and then, what, exactly? At least when there's costs involved it feels like wow, I got this, awesome! Now I can use it for xyz, etc.

I just wish there was better balance of playing and feeling a sense of accomplishment and achievement without it having to be balanced around Joe NoJob who can play 12 hours a day and has the best freighter anyway.

Not that my frustration is against you, I mean I get it. I just hate when I find something exceptionally grindy and there's no option between "cheat like hell" and "play forever." No Man's sky is far from the only case where this balance sucks but given its rocky start it makes me doubly impatient of it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There was one planet I saw that I thought had a bug in the procgen but I found out was dotted with these huge, geometric like... chevrons. It looked super cool. Might still have been a bug, but the good kind. They reached up as tall as any mountain I've seen and were all very similar, it almost looked like a giant crystal formation.

Things like that, even if unintentional, are what make exploring cool.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Probably he guy who likes scraping rust off boxes and using three elements to open a box of nanites.

This is one of those things that is an idea that looks and sounds so perfect: interactivity, a sense of 'agency' and a conjuring a familiar image of dusting off an old chest and opening it for amazing loot.

In practice it is always extra boring clicks to get 1/10 of the same loot that your brain doesn't even register the name of.

If it sounds like something that could follow "You know what would be cool, if..." said around a middle school lunch table, don't put it in your game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Farming should be made less active. Have auto harvesting planters that store a bunch of the resource and the fuel lasts a few hours.

It would be so much cooler to come home to your base and get a sense of "I'm home, I've got a bunch of stuff, let me build a little/sell this stuff before I get back to exploring." Instead it feels so... I don't even know. Disruptive.

I think they could make about a dozen little changes like this, tie things together into more of a flow, and have a much better player experience. They've got the systems or at least the skeletons of them in place, now just weave them gently together.

I get that bases are detached because them and their resources were patched in later, but they aught to integrate it more fully.

Also let me grow or mine 100% of the resources I need. I'm so glad I can make warp drives and plants grow from four different climates all in one room but I still have to go pick mushrooms in a cave to build anything. And no, these are special energy cells, not the ones you're using for powering everything else. Also go mine 250 kelp. No you can't just grow kelp, you can only grow gravity balls.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Does anyone know what doesn't transfer in the previous base item cache in this patch? I am eventually going to make a new base somewhere else, and I want to know how to not lose my hard fought resources.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So I'm leaving my PC on overnight to get the extreme survival milestones. I got 10 on literally every other one more or less by playing casually without driving for milestones. The exception being some of the 'scan all the animals on the planet' ones. Though honestly, the units are a solid incentive for that. Extreme survival is so insane that it really drives the point home that none of these developers actually play the game.

I'd bet the over/under on number of players that have actually gotten to level 10 extreme survival without finding an AFK overnight spot or otherwise cheesing it is like 5.

They could literally just change it to cumulative and it would probably be almost 100% in line with other milestones.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 20, 2017

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The dreadnought mission thing: the fighters follow you forever. I escaped to a planet and fought them just above the surface where their AI sucks. You don't have to kill the big ship at all.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The log and quests are doing a hell of a job keeping me motivated and pointing me in the right direction. I’m still kinda annoyed at the triple cost of loving EVERYTHING for base building but I just got my base started and should have my exocraft bay finished today which will then let me explore the planet I’m in (nice weather day and night with the exception of the ocasional storm) and do the rest of the base quest line.

Wait did the new patch (1.3.3 or whatever) really triple the base building cost? Why?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This game will be cool once they more fully integrate the separate systems of the game. Make bases actually feed more than bases. Make ships that can carry an exocraft (or handwave it with some teleport thing) so I don't have to build it every time on a new planet. Maybe tie it into some big base teleporter thing?

Right now base building feels like one game, exploring is another, exocrafts exist in a vacuum. It's especially apparent there since there are a few resources you can only mine with an exocraft and... they're only used for exocraft upgrades.

It's better, for sure, but as I slowly get bored with this patch after a number of hours I keep noticing this. I understand it's from adding each system in one by one, but now that they're all there, make it work!

Or just let me grow cave poo poo in my biodome. I'm tired of spelunking for 10 caveplant scum at a time to make lights.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man I wish there was some way to know what NMS would have been like had it been a quiet early access indie release last August with a full launch this August. It would probably be heralded as an amazing success. The marketing to make it seem like a AAA amazingly polished and detailed 'game of everything' set expectations way too high.

Don't get me wrong it was *not* a good game at launch but if it were sold as "early access launching in a year" I think it would have been perfect.

e: and probably priced at $30, not $60.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

While in theory I agree with “multiplayer always makes things more fun” I cannot fathom them pulling out a system in the current game that is anywhere near exciting.

I don’t mean to drive by shitpost but god drat. I hate when games sort of go down a checklist of “we have the feature” when it’s just tacked on and not (or very seldomly) interesting. This game is great to chill and build a base and explore. Expanding that base loop and integrating what they have should be the focus.

PvP/raids isn’t going to meaningfully draw a crowd from games with way superior combat and I guarantee it’s either going to be a very pointless, optional distraction that rarely happens or it’s going to a grief fest. There’s not a lot in the current game that they could balance it to be interesting, imo.

The base combat is so rear end already I cannot fathom how dumb it’s going to be.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for a more arranged co-op or that. I’m just thinking that generally when people hear “PvP” that comes with an expectation that I’m not sure this game can deliver in any interesting manner. I’d be very down for the co-op features and Random pvp is it’s done well, but I have very little confidence in its delivery.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah the last patch I played for a bit and it’s not terrible, but it is overwhelming piecemeal and it would move the game from “meh” to “good” if they did a pass and sort of both improved and more fully integrated the disparate parts they’ve added since launch.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Beastie posted:

Anyone expecting anything other than a pretty solid update with some baseline multiplayer and a few new features is crazy.

It's still going to have the same problems. I look forward to it, I really do. But I just know it's only going to enough to keep my attention for a week, then I'll stop.

Then, in one month I'll forget why I stopped playing, boot it up for 2 hours, and put it down again for a few months.

While I still think is game is deeply flawed I almost never uninstall it because if you want to catch up on a couple podcast episodes it’s a perfect Sunday afternoon walk in the park now and then.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Low Tax’s Spine (it rhymes, but that’s about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hello.jpg Games Club

• Locked thread