Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm one of the 6 people that actually enjoyed this game so I'm cautiously optimistic about new content. They must have sold a bajillion copies though for them to be able to justify continued development on this thing after the train wreck of a release it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure the effort and resources put into the ARG and associated marketing will reflect the amount of effort put into development and QA of the update.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Legs Benedict posted:

I'm also sure that Hello Games is working round the clock on the ARG and didn't just hand off a concept to a marketing agency like pretty much every other company does with ARGs

I don't actually think hello games devs are sitting down and working on this crap. I was mostly just commenting on the dumb situation they put themselves in again. Suppose Sony are ok with throwing more marketing money at this thing even after the release it had...

If the update is garbage, it will be amusing to watch the poo poo storm within what is left of this games community. If it is decent, I get more content in a video game I really like. So sort of win, win, I guess.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, I'm ignoring my previous note about being cautious and am now hype af.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

WarpDogs posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is there any trick to doing this? I've tried half a dozen times and inevitably I find 80% of the creatures and just completely stall out and cannot find the last 2 or 3. Best I can tell animals don't have schedules or habitats or anything, and it feels like a waste of time flying around only to land and see the exact same critters

Yeah it can be a pita sometimes but found that if you try to cover each of the different areas within a planet you can usually find them all. Eg:
  • Sky (Flyers)
  • Water (Swimmers)
  • Cave (Crawlers)
  • Plains
  • High Altitude
If you're not having any luck, leave the atmosphere and literally go to the other side of the planet. After doing a couple, the patterns become pretty transparent. :)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There's an upgrade that turns your mining laser into a death ray and benefits from all the mining upgrades while also allowing it to be used for mining. It's pretty cool and basically the only weapon upgrade you need to use, apart from a couple of grande ones if you feel like it.

Phone posting now but will screenshot it later.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

It's so loving dumb that they designed the slot system to work that way but then walled off the base Jetpack.

Thanks for the info Tenzarin, then I have no idea what the other guy was saying about the Javelin as it's a bright red, not green like the Mining Laser and it seems to have its own limited upgrade components.

Unrelated to the Javelin. I can't seem to find it on my old save anymore and wiki search is failing me, but I was sure there was a mining laser upgrade that said something about turning it into a combat laser, in addition to the combat amplifiers.

I must be losing my mind.
In any case, the save file still had maxed combat amplifiers in mining laser and it makes the already easy combat in the game trivial. Doesn't seem to be any reason to use anything else except because "it looks cool".

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This is what I was looking for:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Railshot_Adaptor

Replaces the need for the Boltcaster attachment.

Allows mining beam to destroy security doors.

After equipped you'll notice a significant increase to harvest speed (this includes mining of terrain ores).

Causes faster heat buildup. (get rid of Boltcaster altogether, replace with coolant upgrade(s))

Makes Mining beam a cool Red color.

Xik fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 17, 2017

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Anime Store Adventure posted:

So I'm leaving my PC on overnight to get the extreme survival milestones. I got 10 on literally every other one more or less by playing casually without driving for milestones. The exception being some of the 'scan all the animals on the planet' ones. Though honestly, the units are a solid incentive for that. Extreme survival is so insane that it really drives the point home that none of these developers actually play the game.

I'd bet the over/under on number of players that have actually gotten to level 10 extreme survival without finding an AFK overnight spot or otherwise cheesing it is like 5.

They could literally just change it to cumulative and it would probably be almost 100% in line with other milestones.

It's been cumalitive for a long time. Maybe the first update? You probably would have got it eventually just by exploring extreme worlds.

Since sentinels drop zinc and nanites now you could also hang out in an extremely aggressive sentinel world and go slaughtering. This counts as an extreme world for that milestone. You can tell because the text is red in the planet details.

Sorry, phone posting otherwise I'd drop some screenshots of what I mean.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Welp, I know where my new base is going.

Viridescent planet. No fauna. Low sentries. Beautiful blue oceans. Not sure I'm ever gonna want to leave.

You will when they change the world gen in a patch and it ends up being a hot wasteland. :rip: my floating island water world paradise.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but there was a patch yesterday. For your convenience I have bolded the good bits.

quote:

Thanks for all your continued feedback - we’ve been listening carefully and have continued to make a number of improvements and today we're releasing Patch 1.38. In this patch we’re introducing an overhauled save system, which makes managing saves between game modes much easier. Read on for full patch notes!

New save system

You will now be presented with 5 save-game slots (each of which can be used for any game mode). Your existing saves will be mapped into these slots
Selecting an empty slot will start a new game, allowing you to then pick which game mode to play from the mode select menu
There are now two sub-slots for each save-game - one for auto saves, one for manual saves
Starting a new game with no existing saves will take you directly to mode select

If you experience any problems with the new save system, be sure to let us know[hellogames.zendesk.com]!

Improvements & changes

Made the temperature range of dead planets more varied
In-flight weather effects now vary in strength based on height
The Analysis Visor can now be used to scan farm plants and see the remaining growth time
Analysis Visor can scan ships to determine their class, type and value at a distance
The Analysis Visor can be used to see the approximate distance of resources discovered with the Scanner
Added error message when no outpost is found by the economy scanner
Added the ability to skip black bars when discovering a planet or solar system
Prevented the cursor being reset to the center of the page as you switch between pause menus
Trade outposts now provide hazard protection
Added a chance for pirates to spawn earlier than usual when a player warps into a certain systems, to add more variety to exploration and trading
Galactic map now respects user mouse sensitivity settings
Galactic map now respects user control inversion settings
Prevented trade terminals having a negative quantity of stock
Made trading terminal stock values replenish over time
Separated stock levels for trading posts and space stations in the same system
Lush biomes in survival mode now occasionally exist without an aggressive sentinel presence
Reduced cursor UI slowdown when using a pad
Improved NPC ship target selection in space battles, prevented them reacting to accidental player fire
Added exotic ship audio for AI and NPC ships
Added ability to transfer items to and from containers in your base or freighter
Added tooltip text to explain the planet icons on the discovery page
Added ability to sell items from ship cargo slots at terminals
Storms on humid/lush planets are no longer toxic; humid/lush planets now have a chance of their rain being very hot. Note: no new storms have been added, and the frequency of storms has not been adjusted. Humid planets that previously had freezing rain storms in 1.3 have had that storm type changes to heated rain.
Added ability to transfer items from cargo slots during maintenance interactions
Improved trading by giving NPCs independent stock levels
Made NPCs who give directions refer to a wider spread of locations
Added ability to rebind the discard key

Bug fixes
Fixed an issue where some delivery missions would continuously tell players to visit other systems
Fixed an issue where the requirements to complete some missions could change as you spoke to NPCs
Fixed scaling issues with creature feeding icons
Fixed an issue where mining units would occasionally incorrectly produce Heridium
Prevented mining units being placed inside each other
Fixed an issue where base parts, including storage containers, built outside the base building radius in unlimited building mode would not be transferred when the player moved to a new base
Fixed an issue where storm-prone planets could be labelled as ‘Mild’. Storm frequency has not been adjusted - the text should now more accurately describe weather conditions.
Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator audio would occasionally continue after terrain editing completed
Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator hologram would remain in one location after subtracting from the terrain
Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator would occasionally create longer lines than intended
Fixed an issue where the ship crosshair would appear at incorrect times
Fixed the Upload All button on the discovery page not deactivating after being used
Corrected button prompts in the ship combat wiki
Restored Spectral Class to the galaxy map text
Prevented users occasionally falling outside the trading post platform when exiting their ship
Prevented traders from attacking pirates which are far out of their range
Fixed an issue where NPC ships would stop outside the entrance of freighters and space stations in systems with no trade routes
Fixed an issue where smaller freighters and containers could not be destroyed
Corrected Roamer and Rover inventories appearing incorrectly in the transfer window
Added protection to allow the Mind Arc step of the Artemis story to be completed even if a player deletes their base
Fixed issue where a blue eye icon would occasionally appear over the crosshair
Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly could remain in the player's home system indefinitely
Fixed an issue with dismantling tech on ship compare screens not correctly destroying the tech
Fixed an issue where unbinding a key would exit the control menu
Fixed an issue where selecting a new key binding could accidentally result in it being set to a mouse button
Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly mission had no objective text in the log.
Fixed an issue where some players who should have been able to restart distant missions were unable to do so
Fixed an issue which could cause excess stacked inventory items to be lost

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
2. Personally I just build up my farm over time and then collect and sell whenever I go back to base for other tasks (unload inventory, sell things off, maybe craft something etc). I don't actually "purposely farm", because it sucks and is boring. Mining for hours also sounds like a great way to not have fun.
3. In case you weren't aware, items stack more per slot in the storage container. I color code them, the color of the container represents the color of the element inside. Worked for me?

Can't help you with 1, playing with a thumbstick sounds tedious.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

What is "shallow" here? Because the very first water planet I ran across had tons of very shallow, tiny lakes filled with fish. And swimming worms. Also rather large shark-things, one of them in a lake clearly too small for it, considering it nearly stranded itself when I ran out of the water.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This thread doesn't see much activity so here's some stuff from my screenshot folder, most of it from a few patches ago as I haven't played heavily in a while.

In a super pink system and planet

I found a gap in the terrain generation

And fell "beneath" it

One planet had ridiculous level of building spawns, could see trading post from another trading post.

A planet where all the floating islands were really low and looked like they had been frozen right before "crashing".

Bonus shot, somewhere else where two had spawned on each other

A place I was struggling to find all the creatures until I came across an "oasis" of containing three or four water species.

Also, some pro level landing before you could fly lower and see what you were doing.

Started a newer survival game and found my starter ship floating. :v

In case you're curious what the gravity balls look like when they aren't blinding you with their own light.

All dem planets

Finally, here is a penis guy definitely not doing anything with that hole.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like "grind out some money to buy a freighter" is the best way to make a new player hate the game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It used to crash for me all the time, I can't remember the process I went through to determine it, but I was running out of vram and hard crashing. I had to play around with the graphics settings until it became stable.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Don't want to get all hype but am looking forward to NEXT, especially the freighter stuff.

-Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
-Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
-Hundreds of new base parts.
-Own multiple bases.
-Command Freighters
-Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
-Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
-Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I lied, I am hype.

Here is some stuff that I think is new from the trailer, including those quick flashes...

Procgen/plants?

Are these purple floating things new? Haven't seen them.

Big ole underwater base

Ring planet

Also, looks like they aren't peaceful sentinels, they are just going after the other player in the buggy. Would suggest sentinel level is per player and not shared between your group/players around you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

xilni posted:

Question does the freighter use fuel to jump? I saw a video of someone using the summon freighter ability from their ship and it just seemed to instantly appear above them, very cool.

Not in the current build. You can just summon it from wherever you are, regardless of what system it was previously in. I guess that might change with the new patch if you can pilot it now?

• Locked thread