Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, nice to hear from Hello Games again! The new game modes seem to be superfluous to me, but welp. If you have fun dying over and over again, or absolutely needed an easy mode, there you go I guess. :shrug:

Base building seems interesting, but the idea of buying my own space freighter and juicing it up with as much guns as I can sounds absolutely awesome! I'm seriously considering restarting to see how the new experience is.

But I guess since you can't rename yourself and the game always helpfully names your character after your PSN-name, restarting doesn't really make sense. It's always the same guy/gal, after all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Scott Manley took a long, hard look at 1.1. Especially Freighters and base building.

Verdict: Impressive.

Also they finally fixed stacking! All those stupid sheets and other poo poo are apparently now stackable. (Also also apparently, if you used the stacking bug he suggests to stop doing that before patching, or the new patch will destroy the stack.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

I mean I dunno if Skyrim or any Bethsada game is the example to use for jokes about bugs in games.

Dunno what you're talking about oh wait Skyrim crashed on my PS3, I have to cut this post short

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Survival is super hard and you might have to restart a couple times, but once you figure a few things out (life support only goes down when you move, for example) and learn to prioritize, it's really quite a rush and I'm vastly preferring it to the vanilla game.

I haven't even tried God Mode yet, but I doubt I'd like it. There's no stakes if everything is free.

Yeah, as someone so incompetent he's died multiple times in what now is "normal", I wouldn't have fun with survival, but God Mode sounds boring. It basically removes the "game" part of the game. It's kind of neat if you just want to try out expensive stuff like freighters, I suppose. They should rename it to "Curiousity Mode". :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Erased my old save to restart normal and I'm honestly impressed. My starting planet was kind of milquetoast, but several deep hurting falls later I learned there were deep canyons hidden everywere, just out of sight. After repairing my ship I learned Thaumium 69 or whatever that fantasy-plutonium stuff is called isn't needed anymore to refuel your impulse-drive. Now you need Iron! Threw me for a loop, but at least this means I have a reason to shoot up strange rock formations outside of my need to infuriate sentinel drones.

Just walking around, looking for poo poo and mining took a couple hours, so I'll probably stop now that my ship is repaired.

Another good thing: Hello Games finally repaired those dumb holes that sometimes opened up in the landscape when caves spawned too close to the surface. Saw no new bugs, but that might be because I only had time to try out 1.1 after the patch 1.11 was released. I'm guessing that one patched everything annoying before I could see it. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

I find way less Plutonium even on normal difficulty, it's kind of annoying. I used to stumble on the stuff every few feet and that seemed like the right amount for how much it was used. Even in caves I'm not finding it like I used to.

It's probably a rebalance because you can't just shove plutonium into everything like before. (The impulse-engine now takes iron instead of isotopes, for example. Refueling your life support now only takes Thamium 9, too. Which to be honest, is a lot better than feeding loving raw Plutonium into your life support.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

This game isn't good now and I am amazed how many people are tricked into believing that it is now.

Some of us always believed it's good, just not as amazing as the marketing hype made it seem to certain people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That looks like the nightmares you get when you play too much with Lego.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Ehhhhhh I'm going to take issue with that first item. Astroneer has some cute character/base design from what I've seen (not that there's much of it to see), but its environments look a whoooole lot like Early Access Space Survival Game: The Game.

It's not bad, per se, but anyone pointing to Astroneer and saying "These graphics make NMS look like poo poo!" should take another look, mayhaps, m'lords...? :smugdog:

Somehow I don't think blind people looking a second time would change their opinion

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hey, that's kind of nice. Too bad my gaming backlog is already long enough to last for multiple lifetimes, but I'll try to check this out when the patch drops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gaspy Conana posted:

I wonder where they're going with this. I really dug their insistence on not staying on one planet and the point of the game being exploration. The last two updates seem almost antithetical to that and feel like a shift into a different game entirely. I'd be far more excited by giving the wildlife purpose (pokemon snap-ish system? really just anything), adding more unique things to discover on planets, improving space combat, etc. Also, implementing lower flight in the base game. Nothing in these updates gives me a reason to want to go driving around/exploring a planet beyond the pretty vistas. I'm still hopeful that they have some master plan that'll eventually make this super sweet.

Not necessarily. You can put your homebase on a freighter, for example. Then you'll just drag your home around with you, without being tied down to one place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Wait, you can literally store your base on your Freighter? I had no loving clue, since I'm far away from affording a Freighter, but now I want one so bad

Yeah, and even if you hate freighters, there are teleporters and poo poo, so you could theoretically travel a zillion light years and still jump back to your homebase.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I still feel that at release it was decent enough, but with the insane hype and lies sean murray put out there, it made insanely unrealistic and impossible expectations for it. That said, it's been greatly improved, but still needs something.

I still don't think multiplayer would be great for it, but idk.

Eh, until someone remakes Noctis, this'll do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Did it always cost money to repair inventory slots on a crashed ship? I found this awesome crashed ship with loads more slots, but having now claimed it I've realised that it would cost about the same to repair it as buying it outright at a space station. Where's the fun in that?

Exactly something like this happened to me when I restarted after the new patch. (I didn't like the dumb account name equals in-game name bullshit, so I made a new PSN-account just for playing No Man's Sky.)

I immediately ran into a nice looking little fighter with several slots more than my old ship and I of course not only took it while thinking "repairing it can't be that hard", I also hosed up by leaving my old inventory, including all the poo poo I had collected so far. :suicide:

It took me multiple sessions to slowly make the money to repair all slots. And just as I was down to two damaged slots, I found an incredible looking tool with tons of slots. Same deal as with the ship: Now I have to repair lots of slots, again. :suicide: :suicide:

Truly, I am the king of bad decisions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Piss de Bundy posted:

whats it like being the only person on earth who enjoys this lovely game

He wouldn't, since he isn't. We both like this other, completely awesome game though. It's called No Man's Sky, you may have heard about it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I've apparently hosed up my Altas run, having 9 Altas Stones, and no way of apparently picking up a 10th, as this final Altas interface demands. :argh:

Did you try searching for Atlas stones instead? They have a similar name and purpose, but are written slightly differently. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, some new content would be good. Especially since I just finished repairing my ship (since I didn't know I could have exchanged it for an equivalent un-damaged one. drat. :argh: ) and can now slowly start with experiencing new content when it drops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has someone gone through this Waking Titan decoding thing that has started recently? I tried it a bit, but the steps I was supposed to take got helluva complex after phase 1, and I was like "no thanks". Has someone actually done all the steps, like printing out paper and making origami out of it to get decoding pass phrases?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know I probably don't deserve one, considering I gave up at like step 3 out of 100, but I still hope I'll get one of those fancy level 4 atlas passes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If it's true that a quarter million people got interested in this, but only 10k of them joined for the pass, that's a testament to human laziness. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

According to Reddit, you can also build an underground base with the terrain tool.

I'm kind of torn between doing this, and building the hugest gently caress-off tower I can.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This reminds me, does the exchange-broken-ship trick also work for multitools? I remember when I started new last patch I not only got settled with a borked ship (because I didn't know any better), but also got a really fancy, but mostly broken multitool. I then spend multiple hours trying to get enough credits to repair both of them.

This time, I want to go smarter. Also, it would be nice if I can get my hands on another 19+ slot multitool for free and then exchange it for a not-broken one. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Did the update let you change the FoV on PS4?

Yes, it's now in the graphics menu.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, now I feel bad. My only problem so far was finding zero Heridium on my starting planet. Easily solved by a restart, I suppose, but I'm too stubborn to give up that soon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I'm happy to start over in something as varied as a cold tundra world!

:argh: You rear end in a top hat! In every restart, I always end up on some sort of cold, frozen tundra world! I would have loved to see one of your starting points!

Joking aside, is the game generating the starting point for every player just once and then iterates with restarts, or are we two just punished by the RNG?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have any of you played Osiris new dawn? How does it compare? Both are on sale on steam right now and I’ll probably only buy one.

After looking the game up, I still like NMS better. But if X4 turns out to be actually good, instead of an abortion like X Rebirth, I may reshuffle the games I play again. Right now, NMS is still high enough on my list for the occasional hour or two per week.

Osiris though, it looks nice but I already own like a dozen games to either explore or craft poo poo, in space and on the ground. It brings literally nothing new to my table except looks. Not enough, sorry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

I played this a bunch when it first came out. You basically needed a handful of mods to make things interesting. Is that still the case after all of the updates over the past year or can I just jump in vanilla and enjoy myself?

I've only ever played vanilla (I have the PS4-version), so yes.

Edit:

But the game has definitely gotten even better over time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

metztli posted:

2) Money. I can't make much at all. I'm about 50 hours in and have made maybe 8-10 million, and that was because I got annoyed at how little money I had so I spent 4-5 hours just mining gold. I have an economy scanner, but I guess I'm in the Appalachian sector of the galaxy because every drat station (over 40 and counting) buys gold for like -20% off the galactic average, even when I've never sold gold there before. People say "farming" but I'm not sure how to set that up to where it isn't basically all I do. I was thinking maybe I should just fly at freighters, shoot them and loot their poo poo, and then inevitably get killed, but loot my grave, or something?

50 hours for 10 million sounds very, very low. When starting out, I generally scan everything (even plants and weird mineral formations), open every little container I find while exploring and mine some random poo poo. When I sell my first load, I take note of what of the mined poo poo was the most expensive and then go back and mine something more. Generally, it takes me about an hour to get over a million this way.

In my last playthrough, I stopped doing this when I got my first new spaceship (a nice little insect-looking explorer) and went to space for some random flying around.

But anyway, if you can stand firing your mining laser into the landscape for 50 hours straight (please don't), you theoretically would have 50 million by now. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only thing this game needs to be perfect is a "Look loving Here, Idiot!"-function for those of us who are walking/flying around for hours, trying to find the last goddamn animal on a planet

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Did they do something with the chance to get suite upgrades? My current playthrough is now 7 hours and I haven't seen one yet. But: The third system I explored had a planet with sea-life! I sorely missed that in my earlier runs. It even had my first non-insectoid predator!

I was so fascinated by this huge shark slowly drifting my way I didn't even notice he had the same temperament as the weird anklebiters which plagued my earlier runs. Then he took out half my shield in one bite. :v:

There were other, smaller fish and some kind of mobile tentacle worms swimming around, too. Dammnit, I need to do something about the mountain of screenshots slowly growing on my PS4's HDD!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Penpal posted:

Apparently the ARG, Waking Titan, is up again, so that means 1.5 (skipping 1.4) is around the corner. I was gonna find a new space rock to chill on but I'll wait until the new update drops

It is? I was part of that, why didn't they notify old players?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JEBOman posted:

I've heard that planets with shallow water will have water species that can never actually spawn.

What is "shallow" here? Because the very first water planet I ran across had tons of very shallow, tiny lakes filled with fish. And swimming worms. Also rather large shark-things, one of them in a lake clearly too small for it, considering it nearly stranded itself when I ran out of the water.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me of those weird lung fishes who live in mud. Just like, super-large and with horns.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

I feel like if they polished up combat (on foot, exo, and ship) this game would have something to it. But every encounter is the exact same.

I don't know, getting your rear end nibbled on by a shark monster fish is definitively a different experience than trying to deal with a bunch of hyper-aggressive little monster bugs jumping at you from behind the hill you thought totally safe

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone really should join together the exploring-planets-parts of NMS and the flying-space-ship-parts of Elite to voltron together the ultimate space game.

Right now I kind of play NMS when I want to walk over planets looking at weird poo poo, and play Elite when I just want to fly a spaceship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

We’re all gonna be forming a goon group for NMS right? Goon held territory and planets with goons bases and ships should be a thing. No Man’s Frogs.

We could be Daleks.

Think about it, we're forever imprisoned inside a spacesuit we can't even see. And we tend to unload our weapons into everything we see, either to "mine", or to "defend" ourselves. Sounds like Daleks to me. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got my dumb rear end nearly killed on multiple occasions in normal mode, so definitely nope. Normal mode is fine, survival is for people who like to live dangerous. Or, in many cases, who don't want to live long. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Aww you can opt-out of pvp? that's going to ruin all the fun.

Sadly, thanks to Sony it can't work otherwise. If you couldn't opt-out, you would be forced to pay for Sony's online-service. In my case (since I really don't like Sony enough to pay them for multiplayer), I would simply stop playing NMS.

• Locked thread