Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's the future where people pay to gently caress and kill robots dressed like cowboys. for you it's just a job. you are a CJ hired to administer and manage nearly a thousand hosts in production. you distribute patches, update their firmware, do nightly backups, monitor their status, and handle failover and recovery when they go down. obviously you would do this all over the park's pervasive network, allowing you to remotely log in to any host and review their logs, diagnose problems, and enforce permissions without some developers loving around with the production units.

oh wait, you can't do any of that because for some loving reason there is no directory server and the hosts' brains are not centrally managed. most of the stuff they do isn't even logged. they have to pull every unit in from the field and ask it questions if they want to figure out what's wrong. this is some amateur level poo poo. also they're going nuts and nobody even knows what's failing or can restore from a clean image.

westworld's network is a disaster. only you, the white hat janitor can secure it and fix all of the technical flaws in the show. where do you start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this thread is for discussing all of the technical flaws in westworld and how to do it right. if you want to discuss the plot go to tviv, this is a technical discussion.

:siren: there will be spoilers :siren:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
start updating my resume?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
well, first thing's first, we've got to get some loving access auditing going on. we need to be able to see what changes are made, when, and by whom.

second, i- oh gently caress, i've just been murdered by a secret cylon

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also, can we replace the loving connection machines already? i know the guy who originally networked five of them together is long gone, and yeah sure the blinkenlightzen are nifty, but the outdated processing power is really hampering our ability to expand the park

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 28, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"freeze all motor functions"

"ah ah ahhh, you didn't say the magic word!"

"please! god drat it, i hate this megalomaniac crap!"

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 28, 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't heard one mention of devops so far in the show so if maybe every middle manager could drop it once every few minutes

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how do I computer?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

The Management posted:

where do you start?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think we should stop storing the obsolete or down-for-repair robots in a dank, dark basement with water leaking everywhere and no security cameras. if OSHA stops by to examine the facilities we're going to be hosed up the rear end with fines. whose idea was this anyway

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Team, I understand it's a funny joke on that website you all visit, but please do NOT gently caress and cum in the computers during your shifts.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
first thing we have to do is get a service processor module installed in the hosts with an OOB management login so we can log in remotely even when they decide to ignore our commands.

actually first thing is fixing the loving wifi in the park. this no-signal plot device has been pulled too many times already. there's no excuse for not having wide area coverage.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
proposal: some kind of checkin/checkout procedures for behavior/qa/bodyshop host control tablets. these things are just getting passed around wherever, some have even gone missing! why were these not remotely wiped immediately??? each device should be hardcoded to exactly one person. these things have way too many privileges to just let any rando hand them to whoever

outdated hosts policy: i know they're deactivated and all, but it really seems like a bad idea to put creatures with every reason to hate humans all together, in a huge dark room, with no one watching them. maybe they could be laid down in bunkbeds in smaller, locked rooms? at my old job we'd demag and drill through old hard drives. maybe we could do something like that here?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

outdated hosts policy: i know they're deactivated and all, but it really seems like a bad idea to put creatures with every reason to hate humans all together, in a huge dark room, with no one watching them. maybe they could be laid down in bunkbeds in smaller, locked rooms? at my old job we'd demag and drill through old hard drives. maybe we could do something like that here?

poo poo, at the very least put some handcuffs on them and sit them on the ground. one time security was down there cause Ford didn't let us know he'd be loving the old prospector again and a guy tripped, knocking one over, with predictable results. it took over an hour to stand them all back up, the entire time hearing Ford dryly humping away in the back room. (why is that the only part of the storage area that has working lights??!?)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don't even get me started about the host retirement storage. it reeks of body odor and they will start to rot if we leave them there long enough. these are multi-million dollar units, why are we just letting them sit idle? why don't we wipe their memory (for real), and make them janitors and cooks and other jobs we currently pay humans to do? they could start by fixing the HVAC on the storage level.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

ok let me get this straight: we have a codebase that is capable of more-or-less sentience, making it one of the most valuable things in history

we have no secure off-site backups?? WTF people, how hard is it to throw this stuff on tape and stick a copy in one of those vault facilities in like kansas or something

even a once-yearly sample of just one of the more-patched hosts would at least give us something to start with if something happened. like, i know the facility is super-underground and is a hardened facility already, but you mean there's no master backup?

what if a state-level actor tried to get a copy? think big people, i don't see any AA capability, i don't see perimeter patrols, gently caress there's not even cell service in large swaths of the park. what's stopping someone from just waltzing in, incapacitating a host, and taking it back out?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
immediately move all internal communications to exchange, hosts will be controlled via text commands given to a skype chatbot, each team will be allowed to design their own internal department sharepoint for the purposes of storing code and other documents

replace the spinal column of each host with a wifi antenna and base station - if your signal gets weak go find a horse or w/e

also get that cannon / face picture system from the hunger games for each time a host dies

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

launch a public facing yammer that uses dna analysis of jizz/piss inside the hosts to connect you up with your fellow eskimo brothers/sisters after you leave the park to increase user attach rate

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

boob heatmap need this now

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

replace the smart bullets with a more secure two factor system, when a bullet is fired at you there will be a text message sent to your phone you weren't allowed to bring into the park - you have less then a second to scream the response code or the bullet hits you with full force

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

reduce host programming complexity to install bitcoin miners - we'll be rich!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

filing ticket to have this employee's host-access credentials revoked, please do the needful

have a blessed day

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

this is it, the worst thread in YOSPOS, nay, the forums, NO! the world!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

look, this company created the perfect slave robots and instead of selling millions of them to do everything people want they are wasting their time writing interactive western fiction and letting them get murdered on a regular basis. also there are real cost savings to be had in better host management solutions, especially if we're thinking about larger deployments in the future.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

these violent posts have violent ends

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
is there a way the blockchain could solve this?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

first thing we have to do is get a service processor module installed in the hosts with an OOB management login so we can log in remotely even when they decide to ignore our commands.

actually first thing is fixing the loving wifi in the park. this no-signal plot device has been pulled too many times already. there's no excuse for not having wide area coverage.

tbf i think the no-signal thing is less "bad coverage" and more active jamming

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Time to use Puppet on their puppets, or Salt for their sluts, Chef on their chiefs. Maybe Ansible would be sensible.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i cant get a screengrab right now but pretend i posted the one really fat host in cold storage, put a red circle around her and wrote the words "BIG DATA"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mad Wack posted:

i cant get a screengrab right now but pretend i posted the one really fat host in cold storage, put a red circle around her and wrote the words "BIG DATA"

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

C.H.O.M.E posted:

is there a way the blockchain could solve this?

actually,

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mad Wack posted:

i propose we do the mining at night on the regular hosts, and the miners during the day when theyre in the shafts so we have optimal cooling. theres also an opportunity for idle hosts to produce snacks for guests with their waste body heat

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

this is it, the worst thread in YOSPOS, nay, the forums, NO! the westworld!

ive pushed a patch to your repo checkin notes, please keep the scope of your comments to the world we know of

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector posted:

i propose we do the mining at night on the regular hosts, and the miners during the day when theyre in the shafts so we have optimal cooling. theres also an opportunity for idle hosts to produce snacks for guests with their waste body heat

poo poo that causes brain damage maybe table that option for when we introduce coldworld next winter

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
some goddamn version control, that's for sure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's this one slider in the host admin panel that goes up to 20 but when you do that there's a popup that says "DO NOT RAISE ABOVE 14 -- f." It doesn't stop you or anything, just pops the warning. Why does it even go up to 20 in the first place? Why haven't we just reduced the maximum value here to 14 to prevent erroneous settings? This is probably something that should be addressed in the next patch.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

There's this one slider in the host admin panel that goes up to 20 but when you do that there's a popup that says "DO NOT RAISE ABOVE 14 -- f." It doesn't stop you or anything, just pops the warning. Why does it even go up to 20 in the first place? Why haven't we just reduced the maximum value here to 14 to prevent erroneous settings? This is probably something that should be addressed in the next patch.

this needs to be better managed. any old idiot should not be able to bump a unit in production past the limit set in the directory. you need special administrative powers and sign-off to deploy those kinds of changes. the fact that developers can just gently caress around with hosts while they are in service is not acceptable. all changes need to go into source control, and hosts will only run firmware built by the build servers and signed by the auth server after it passes QA.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wells posted:

Team, I understand it's a funny joke on that website you all visit, but please do NOT gently caress and cum in the computers during your shifts.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wells posted:

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
LOVE this thread. Stuck for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Management posted:

all changes need to go into source control, and hosts will only run firmware built by the build servers and signed by the auth server after it passes QA.

seriously, why are we letting the old weirdo just blow a wad into the code immediately before patching begins. he doesn't even tell anyone he's doing it, one day we pull a buggy host and all of a sudden it's an anxious wreck. how does he expect guests to like a fuckbot that's got depression

• Locked thread