Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
That looks really nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you!

Also, starting to see the end in sight. One coat of black lacquer is down (although I had to scrape some of it down due to bubbling), as is a sheet of steel I'll be using for the control panel:

Also, settling on a very simple design for the control panel:

Found an engraver who'll do this for cheap. The dots above power/volume labels are where I'll drill through after the engraving for the switch/potentiometer stems to pass.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Looking good. No plans for a power light or anything on the face plate?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That depends on whether I can find an unobtrusive panel mount LED locally (RIP RadioShack). Otherwise I'm paying something like $10 in shipping for a $0.95 part :downs:

But yes, I think I'd like a small amber light just to the left of the "Power" label.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:it'shappening:

Filthy with fingerprints and whatnot, but it's happening!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
More happenings!

Alllmost there.

Edit: there are about 4 or 5 projects' worth of components or tools in that desk shot. I really need to stop thinking I can do this crap in parallel :negative:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 5, 2017

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Oh I bet that will look slick as hell!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this looks super nice, premptive congrats

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Thank you both :)

Here it is, The Gatsby:

And some before & after for good measure:

Things I like:
  • The sound is excellent, with a good amount of bass.
  • The finish is largely super-smooth and glossy. It's actually difficult to photograph from certain angles due to the shine.
  • The control panel came out just as I had hoped it would.

Things I'm torn on:
  • I have a panel-mount LED and wiring for a power light, but I'm not sold on how it'd look. Installing it should be simple though -- drill a hole above the panel, insert diode. Whether I'll do this at some point is TBD.

Things I don't like:
  • There are parts of the cabinet with pronounced orange peel that I just couldn't get rid of.
  • As with any/all of my projects, I underestimated how long things would take.

I think I'll be sticking to smaller-scale projects for a good long while...

Thanks for following along!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That looks really cool

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Well done!

That radio is basically the same age as my father. I'd like to go back to 1938 and tell the technician that assembled it that it would be rebuilt and upgraded almost 80 years later. For perspective if you went back 80 years from 1938 it would be before the Civil War!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Nice work. It almost looks like a "hot rod" version of the radio.

• Locked thread