Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta drop The Leaky Establishment by David Langford. Absurd farce about British nuclear research in the eighties, one of the very few books that made me laugh out loud.

Just dropping by to thank you for this rec; I'm a huge fan of Langford's short stories but hadn't really branched out into anything else he'd done. Gonna try and get my hands on this.

Extremely subjective and not for everyone recommendation: Saki's short stories are pretty funny when they're not weird supernatural stuff, and they're all on Gutenberg to the best of my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Paul Murray's "An Evening of Long Goodbyes" is one of the funniest books I've ever read. One of the few books I've had to stop reading in public because it was making me laugh too much. His other works, "Skippy's Dead" and "The Mark and the Void" are also very funny but a little more serious.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
How are we three pages in without someone saying Tristram Shandy? Of course, it is super masculine, but 18th century lit, what are you going to do?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
It's upsetting to me that masculinity exists and is sometimes written about

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

It's upsetting to me that masculinity exists and is sometimes written about

Have you read Tristram Shandy? I'm not upset that masculinity is written about, but ya I think to some readers it might be weird to some readers.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's a really weird thing to say about Tristram shandy.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Okay, maybe fair. It just struck me when I read it. It's still super good. I still recommend it to everyone cause Toby is amazing. But it's portrayal of women was weird to me. That's all. I am probably spoiled as a 21st century reader.

Whatever. Guess I'm wrong. Point is it is super funny and is good lit.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 12, 2017

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day had me laughing so hard I was crying throughout the entire book, but I suppose it's an obvious choice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

failing forward posted:

David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day had me laughing so hard I was crying throughout the entire book, but I suppose it's an obvious choice.

It's also not a novel, that's a collection of essays. They are indeed funny though. Except for that weird book of animal stories, Sedaris doesn't really do fiction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
David Sedaris is very hit or miss for me, but when he hits, it's great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I picked up the first Mortdecai book at a second-hand book sale recently and just read it this week. It's really good and funny.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Any of the Flashman books by George McDonald Fraser, they combine humour, well researched history and a whoooole lot of cynicism.

All of them great, especially the first one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cancer Ward

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
For lighter reading, I enjoyed An Unattractive Vampire by Jim McDonell. It's about a vampire that wakes up after 400 years of sleep only to be horrified that that vampires are depicted as sparkly sex machines in popular culture.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Norm Macdonald's Based on a True Story: A Memoir reads more like a novel than any kind of regular comedian memoir and is hilarious throughout.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Norm Macdonald's Based on a True Story: A Memoir reads more like a novel than any kind of regular comedian memoir and is hilarious throughout.

that's because it is a novel, and not a memoir

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If it was a memoir it'd have juicy home truths, like he was a deeply closeted homosexual!

I think that book is the only one I'll ever listen to in audiobook format.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Most of the books by John Scalzi have some dry humor scattered through them--the downfall with his books though is that if you've read one book you've read them all as far as the humor side of the story goes.

Same goes for most of the standby recommendations in the Urban Fantasy thread--there's always an undercurrent of comedy to the novels recommended there.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Kikkoman posted:

"His eyes went black like the wing of a crow."

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If puns are your thing, "go quest young man" can't be beat

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. It's Noir for perverts, and a poo poo ton of fun

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I've laughed more reading Céline's novels than all other books put together. His name isn't mentioned in this thread so I have to bump it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vogler posted:

I've laughed more reading Céline's novels than all other books put together. His name isn't mentioned in this thread so I have to bump it.

Who?

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Louis-Ferdinand Céline, one of the few originals. There's hardly any subversive litterature that's not been inspired by him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vogler posted:

Louis-Ferdinand Céline, one of the few originals. There's hardly any subversive litterature that's not been inspired by him.

I can't find anything by him in English on Kindle. I don't know if it's not available at all or if I'm just in the wrong country, but either way I guess I won't be reading it. :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I can't find anything by him in English on Kindle. I don't know if it's not available at all or if I'm just in the wrong country

https://www.amazon.com/Journey-End-Night-Louis-Ferdinand-C%C3%A9line-ebook/dp/B00I5EYC4I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

also, I am currently reading Under the Net by Iris Murdoch, it's one of the funniest books I've read in quite a while. would make for a good Coen brothers style movie. for a debut novel it's extremely good (I've read a couple of her later books which are also very good, but not really funny)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wrong country it is then. That shows up as unavailable for me. :shrug:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I can't find anything by him in English on Kindle. I don't know if it's not available at all or if I'm just in the wrong country, but either way I guess I won't be reading it. :shrug:

this is why kindles are stupid

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ah, i can't find an ebook of celine in my region. i could pirate it in like two seconds, or go to a library and get a physical copy, but instead i'm going to read douglas adams for the 18th time.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Journey to the End of the Night is one of the few books I have a physical copy of, because I only keep books on my limited shelf space if they're good enough to reread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A human heart posted:

this is why kindles are stupid

A human heart posted:

ah, i can't find an ebook of celine in my region. i could pirate it in like two seconds, or go to a library and get a physical copy, but instead i'm going to read douglas adams for the 18th time.
These two posts don't seem to go together. Don't ereaders enable piracy?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Don't ereaders enable piracy?

piracy is enabled by the ability to download a pdf onto your computer (and before that, by the ability to photocopy a book).

yes you can then put it on your kindle but its not the kindle that enabled piracy, but ereaders do bring all of the barriers of subrights and licensing into the digital world when you are buying legally.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Most of Bill Bryson's stuff is pretty funny. If you like travel books check him out.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
My favourite book (Catch-22) has already been mentioned so I'll go with my second-favourite which is Under the Frog by Tibor Fischer. A (semi-)fictionalized account of his father's life in post-WW2 Hungary.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Flight of Icarus by Raymond Queneau is pretty funny

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Paul Beatty won last year's Booker Prize with basically a joke-filled book called The Sellout. It's very funny

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

Hello, I enjoy Terry Prattchet, Douglas Adams and his ilk, have you folks come across anything similar I may have missed?

A bunch of goons come sprinting into the thread:

HAVE YOU READ THIS ULTRA HILARIOUS 1930'S AUTHOR??????

HES SO FUNNY AND I AM SMART AND YOU SHOULD HEAR THIS BAND I LIKE.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh no, people in the book forum recommend good books. how horrible

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

504 posted:

pssssshh

Three Men in a Boat was published in 1889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

504 posted:

A bunch of goons come sprinting into the thread:

HES SO FUNNY AND I AM SMART AND YOU SHOULD HEAR THIS BAND I LIKE.

Thorne Smith motherfucker, Nightlife of the Gods is a great book.

• Locked thread