Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSptDxIaAGk

-_- lance stroll cannot stop saying "it is what it is" about his driving this week. #generationY #canadajet #blessed

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Bernie. Sex party. Never should these nouns meet

Vettel looks like he's getting fat, if you know what i mean fellas

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Intermittent = happens every year between March and November.

In mechanics parlance "intermittent" means "End user is complaining about it, but i have no earthly idea what is causing the problem and it looks fine to me". Nando is shitfucked.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

John Surtees has died. :(

quote:

Well," he said, "as your attorney I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can you cover a thing like this righteously?"

"No way," I said. "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?"

"Whats that?"

"A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

"That sounds about right for this gig," he said.

"It is," I assured him. "The fucker's not much for turning, but it's pure hell on the straightaway. It'll outrun the F-111 until takeoff."

"Takeoff?" he said. "Can we handle that much torque?"

"Absolutely," I said. "I'll call New York for some cash."

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kilmers Elbow posted:

In 1964 the world cheered as John Surtees lifted the F1 Championship trophy. Little did he realise that 53 years later he would be dead.

Graham Hill Jim Clark Lorenzo Bandini Richie Ginther Dan Gurney account spotted.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Im starting to get some respect for HAM as a development driver. Mclarens fall from grace coincided with the beginning of his first "dont get a gently caress" phase. Its all been downhill since then, esp since he left.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Shocker: Jarno Trulli is actually the one who makes good cars. He made Alonsos renault AND Kobiyashis toyota.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

Sir Jackie has the right to call anybody he loving likes a fraud. When you tape a goddamn spanner to your steering wheel in case you have an accident and can't get out of your car, pretty much anything else seems fraudulent.

All the Senna stories i can think of are him driving like a supernatural hero, and dying on the field of battle. All the Sir Jackie stories i can think of are him crashing, or Jim Clark giving him a pity-win.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching the last of Testing coverage on Sky and NBC and 2 things clicked for me, specifically about the red bull:

1) Various commentators and people in the sport saying "What the hell, that's a newey design? Where's all the aero fiddly bits, its so simple!"

and

2) The red bull drivers, unlike all the others screaming about turbulence and its impossible to follow, saying that its as easy or easier to follow and pass this year.

Im thinking Aero God newey has pulled a trick, knowing he has 2 drivers that dont mind scrapping for the win may have sacrificed his "Qualify P1 and drive away" philosophy in favor of a car designed to work well in the turbulent air.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Connor Daly had one of the Gnarliest formula racing crashes in recent memory at monaco. Its very webber-esque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RfbQ5fB-qk

Its really a shame neither him nor Rossi really made it in formula one. Motherfuck indycar and its ovals.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 12, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Cool. It won't be long until F1 gets one to appeal to idiot American fans.

Im certainly not an oval fan but i could 100% support the "indy 500" being a f1 points paying round. Its been that way in the past and would be a nice change of pace. My big beef with Indy isnt so much its ovals but its pretty much a spec series. Spec means im not watching, plain and simple

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

GP3 is pretty drat reliable for producing at least one "holy gently caress" each season where somebody leaving the circuit in a body bag seems like the most likely outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puD6lHQCQFE

:eek:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Cleveland is both the most half-assed road course of all time, (even las vegas parking lot took more effort) and one that somehow... works.

Im biased as gently caress because i grew up 10 minutes away, but i'd love to see it do something again post-champcar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lGp4yXkAyo&t=22s

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How can you be anything but excited about a pink formula 1 car? Are you a grey and silver fetishist or something?

On a side note, i got a notice in my youtube subscriber feed about "F1 driver lineup 2017 confirmed (1 hour ago)" and thought "huh? I thought this was locked down months ago. Turned out to be a cool little well produced intro for all the drivers, almost like a network sitcom. Might be a fun thing for you to send to new people to the sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7G6bdrGnS0

Makes me imagine f1 having an "intro video" like just another f1 show.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
THRILL as Kimi fails to pass just as hard as Valterri fails to defend.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys look i fixed it

(Hire me Force India. You'll have a yellow car with snakes on it in no time)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry this is like George W Bush going on ellen and poo poo and trying to rehabilitate his ruined image. Taki might be a World Twitter Champion, but i wont forget how poo poo he was.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

LMP1 will never rival F1 because nobody but diehard nerds wants to watch a 6+ hour race

See also: WRC

(thats why we like F1 instead. We are hipsters. We like neither motorsports basketball nor motorsports football. We are the hockey fans of motorsport)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

WRC has actually rivaled F1 for popularity though.

Isnt WRC struggling for a TV contract and scrambling to change its format for whoever will listen? Honestly thats what i heard.

Which is fine, but i dont want f1 to follow its example and have sprinklers and shortcuts (or V6 hybrid engines)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah it isn't now but it was incredibly popular in the Group B and even the Group A days. It's sort of stopped going off the rails this year but I've got no clue what it'll be like over the long term.

Also the hybrid V6s are great and again I don't know how you chucklefucks are hating on engines that are approaching the original turbo era power levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrsPfXIFzSA&t=13s
This video based on nothing but 1964 technology

3 words: Fuel flow limit. There is no reason these cars cant be making 2000 horsepower.

Full disclosure: I briefy was involved in a top fuel team :)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Drag racing should be the perfect example of how a whole lot of horsepower doesn't make for anything worth watching. A 2017 F1 car producing near 1000 bhp is incredible because it's 700kg and it goes around a corner like nothing else

Yea mate i'm right there with you, but 10,000 is a lot. You sort of feel it in your chest hundreds of feet away, and the nitromethane fumes melt your sinus cavities. The v6 hybrid format has the potential to be just as awesome with a big fat fuel tank and a high fuel flow rate. (we can remove the KERS and batteries to save the extra weight)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The queen mary isnt a racecar, and saving fuel isnt a technological step forward in racing cars. Surely you cant dispute either point.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

NtotheTC posted:

McLaren explore Mercedes engine option after Honda problems

Incredible. They're going to go back to Mercedes the year after Alonso retires and have the best car, Jenson is going to come out of sabbatical and win another WDC.

My dreams for a Mclaren-Ferrari unholy alliance :britain::respek::italy: are once again dashed.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

Liberty aren't a private equity firm or investment company like CVC or Waddell & Reed though, so your assumption that investors will want a poo poo hot ROI doesn't hold in my opinion. The chairman holds the majority of voting shares, so if he's happy with Chase Carey and co nurturing F1 to be a stable, growing business rather than trying to do a Bernie and run the sport like the mafia, then it's all gravy.

As Wicka said, the way that FOM was run by Bernie was unhealthy and unsustainable after the money started to dry up in the post-tobacco advertising era. The 'gently caress you, pay me' model made Bernie rich but was toxic for F1's long term financial future and should not be seen as a benchmark to compare Liberty's modus operandi.

This is all true, on top of that owning big brands like "Pepsi" or "Formula 1" can be ways of boosting the image of the investment firm. While they might break even or even take a small loss on f1 (worst case), it makes it easier for a "mom and pop" sugar corporation or oil refinery concern to sign on the dotted line "Wow those guys own Pepsi/F1". And they make the money back that way, or turn a bigger profit.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

daslog posted:

There are many challenges with F1 and America.

1) The Race start times are terrible. Fixing that means less races that Europeans can see. (Think Canadian GP times)

On the plus side, out of 318,000,000 Americans, only 482,000 watched F1 last year. That's 1/10th of 1 percent, so the only way to go is up.

:iiam:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Produce better ones.
- F1's feeder system has always been Europe focused and based. This has never seemed to bother South American, Australian, or Japanese drivers.

South america, australia and japan dont have local racing series as big as formula 1, Indycar, WEC, NASCAR or WRC. A world class brazillian driver has to leave brazil to "make it", an American driver does not. Hell, you see far more europeans in Indycar than you do Americans in F1.

Powershift posted:

8 am on a sunday, a bowl of fruit loops, a bottle of beer and some formula 1, that's my church, can i get an AMEN

AMEN! I started watching in late 2007 (explains my lewis fandom i think) and my favorite thing was waking up at 7AM and watching the race first thing in the morning with breakfast. When it was over, i still had the whole day ahead of me! I made a big, big mistake and got friends into the sport who have to "do things" and "work" on sunday, so often i have to wait until the evening to watch f1. Its hell.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 16, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think the closest thing in the US to anything resembling an open-wheel European feeder series was the Formula Atlantic cars. Also there is F4 now as well.

Formula BMW and Star Mazda were also very popular series, even beyond the local level. They were even usually on (deep cable) TV.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

maybe turn indy into a feeder series instead of a last chance series.

Lol if anything F1 is the feeder series.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I've just spent two days solid being passive aggressively insulted my my mother and my dad crashed the (Renault) van

Joylan Palmer account spotted.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Two decades? Try three or four. I'm sure there are isolated exceptions) think it's rumored that my grandpa had a LeCar that almost immediately broke and sat in his backyard until he sold it, I believe with less than 5000 miles on it.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
AMC and early Chrysler era Jeeps are so full of French parts I almost consider them to be French cars. So good on you france, those jeeps are sweet :911::hf::france:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

My most powerful car has 155hp :suicide:

155, 138, 130 currently. I guess in my old age I'm allergic to power

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 16, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Like you mentioned, Iracing really did give me a respect for oval racing. Its not relaxing at all. I saw an interview with (i think) jeff gordan where he described the "line" around an oval and really they are using road racing techniques. Its just that the track really only has 2 or 3 very long lines. Its not their fault that their traditional circuits havent been ruined by bullshit chicanes. There were plenty of "barely brake ever" tracks 20 and 30 years ago in f1.

I dont watch nascar because its boring, in the same way that basketball is boring. I watch soccer, aka F1. But its not the fault of the athletes

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ferrari given liberty shares? Is this supposed to be a good thing? I was hoping Are Chance was going to kick those Goombah Dago bastards to the curb and make them race for money like everyone else, and now they still have a seat at the big table? Strike one against Liberty.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's amazing how his posting shines through even when he's using an alt account after being probed for 100,000 hours or whatever.

quote:

"We all change, when you think about it, we're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when Dizzle ... was me.
"

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 17, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

If NASCAR races on road courses I think it's only fair for F1 to do an oval race or two. Maybe they can move the German GP to that oval track in Lausitz that CART used.

Id love to see Indy 500 back as a points paying round, or at least a non-points race. Slightly modify the cars (like they do for monaco or monza anyway) and run against the indy cars head to head.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Running in Indy is probably a non starter purely on cost grounds. The teams would have to come pretty drat close to building new cars to be competitive.

Again, they pretty much "Build a new car" (on an old chassis) for monaco and monza. yes it would be compex as hell, it would only work with a re-work of the regulations, but its just a fun pipe dream.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thread hivemind: Would you rather see a 2017 Kimi WDC? Or a 2017 Massa WDC?

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

daslog posted:

In other words, they would lose 95.5 million per year in revenue. Given that Ferrari's total revenue is 3.4 billion for 2016 (car sales, etc) that would amount to ferrari giving up 2.75% of their total corporate revenue.

I would be very surprised if they agree to that.

Well, if thats the case :byewhore: if they are short sighted enough to see they can make money by losing a little bonus payment.

It really outrages me that people actually think ferrari is that important to f1 in a way that lotus, march or cooper are not and deserve this treatment. Especially when they are taking in all that money to produce Force India-like results overall while Manor and Good Lotus go bust. (admittidly they have been on a 3 year upswing in form, but it wont last). Their precious 1950-2017 streak wont even be left when they gently caress off to WEC.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thread titles? ehh? *Shakes magic 8 ball*

quote:

Formula 1: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of Bernie"

or

quote:

Formula 1: "Those who trade Bernie for Liberty deserve neither.
YMMV if you arent american

I posted this before but please throw this in the new OP. Would be good to get new posters an idea of the drivers and teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7G6bdrGnS0&t=5s
(Especially aspie verstappen playing alone on the floor with a ball or staring at his phone)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread