Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm interested to see if Bernie will retain his position in F1 next year and whether or not anything comes of the rumours of Ross Brawn taking up some kind of technical role at FOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

thegasman2000 posted:

Is now a good time to start the livery argument?

Personally the Honda earth was a highlight for me. The Marlborough ferraris a second and the black and gold lotus.

There was something absolutely perfect about seeing that Earth Dreams Honda bursting into flames.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HJB posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38160269

Don't let them take Brazil away from me

Germany was never going to make it two years on the bounce. Even when during the Vettelreich attendance numbers at Hockenheim and the Nurburgring were woefully low compared to the days of Schumi and I doubt Monegasque Rosberg being the champion is going to reverse that. I'd be properly surprised if Brazil gets dropped though, what with Bernie living in Brazil and whatnot.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just finished watching the '98 season review and I am so loving angry that Hockenheim got hosed into a DTM circuit. It pisses me off enough that they're loving with the holy ground that is Monza, but Hockenheim was an awesome circuit yet they couldn't help gently caress it up.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Watched the 99 season review today and I remembered how common it used to be for team principals to walk up and down the pitlane to talk to their counterparts about strategy and doing each other a solid. Also, I lol'd seeing Patrick Head go and berate Jean Todt because his car was a piece of poo poo and Salo backed Schumacher up.

Also, what a loving legend Irvine was. Allegedly gave up his winner's trophy to Salo for being a solid number 2.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

minstrels posted:

Those of you watching old seasons during the winter, where are you finding them?

I watch the season reviews on Dailymotion. An entire season in around 2-3 hours, plus all the talking points that went on behind the scenes and off the track.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bad stats 2016!

http://wtf1.co.uk/bad-f1-stats-2016-season-review/

quote:

The Malaysian Grand Prix set the outright record for the most shoeys on a single podium, with four. The previous record was two, which was first set by Michael and Ralf Schumacher at the 1998 Italian Grand Prix.
Yes.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
End on a high I guess. I can't see Mercedes putting Wehrlein or Ocon in Rosberg's seat, especially in the first year of new regulations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Baron Corbyn posted:

That loving slimy fraud gets to pretend this was anything other than a fluke. Disgusting.

Rosberg'd again.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ecstatic posted:

Vettel's got to be the prime candidate, German and able to wriggle out of his contract.

And besides, who doesn't want to see a Ham Vet petulance match next year?

Given the way Vettel made Webber his bitch, I'd love to see him and Hamilton go at it hammer and tongs.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

aequalis posted:

I'm thinking Alonso has the least ironclad contract with Honda/McLaren. Especially now with Ron Gon.

Button could still be a shoe in too for McLaren, although I don't really understand his current position. Is he still the 3rd driver? He was playing it down a fair bit...

E: and if it is Vettel that goes he'll instantly become unlikeable, no matter how much work he's done to change his image.

I got the impression that with Big Ron out of the picture, that contract for Button to return became null and void, hence Button's step change from 'sabbatical' to 'retirement.'

Possibly misreading it, but it all seemed a bit shonky when it was announced and the timing of Ron's ousting and Button's changing tone seemed a bit too coincidental.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

There's no guarantee of anything but my suspicion is that the Red Bull next year will be severely under development. Mercedes were just sitting on their hands 80% of this year and there was no reason Red Bull should've kept development on this car going to the end of the season.

They made the same mistake in 2014 when there wasn't really a limit on wind tunnel testing, now there's a major limit on what you can do and they just kept plugging away at this car.

If Haas switched over to 2017 development as early as Grosjean claims they did, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of others did so too and possibly earlier. I'm praying that Ferrari's loving disastrous season was simply because they froze development on the 2016 car, allowing Red Bull to leapfrog them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
What do people reckon of Arrivabene staying at Ferrari? Marchionne seems to be quite the corporate loving Nero.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I think you mean Caligula.

I don't kink-shame.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Yo hth Ferrari is a dumpster full of cartons of Marlboros on fire.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

The irony is that if I was to pick a driver closest to Max's driving style I would say Pastor.

There's probably some mileage in that, the crucial difference is that the quality of your driving when your style is banzai is limited by your talent. Verstappen demonstrably has that in amounts Crashtor Maldonaldo could only dream of.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Pastor's win was in a far worse car than Max.

And what a fluke that turned out to be.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Basically my view is that creating an reputation that you're going to crash into people unless they move out of your way is not a skill. Look at Abu Dhabi, every guy he passed pretty much leapt out of his way because they know he's going to create an incident if they don't. People keep comparing them to Senna and Schumacher for doing the exact same thing and I agree but it should be a criticism not looked at as a good thing.

Fundamentally I don't think we're in disagreement. But the thing is Verstappen hasn't caused a big incident, he's just not chickened out of some rather brave moves. Maldonado DID crash into people on a number of occasions and was bankrolled by a state oil company. Senna DID crash into people. Schumacher DID crash into people. I actually think that is wrong and should be punished. What is loving hilarious is that people are branding Max as being like Maldonado, Schumi and Senna yet he hasn't actually closed the door on anybody so late that he's driven them into an accident. None of his moves in F3 caused any controversy, so the question is are the old guard failing to adapt or is there something fundamentally wrong with the way Verstappen goes about his racing?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I think Schumacher had genuine skill and pace, particularly in the early Ferrari years and was worse off for racing like that. Senna not so much.

To this day I'm amazed he retained the title in '95 yet was disqualified in '97 for the exact same (but shoddily executed) dick move.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Senna was a fraud who only got his F1 seat by bullying poor Martin Brundle. Fact.

Username checks out.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously watch that F3 doc where Senna's performance absolutely nose dived because halfway through the season Brundle decided he had enough of Senna's bullshit and let him crash. I can easily envision that scenario happening with Max.

Yeah but even Brundle admits Senna was the better driver. I'm sure there was some editorial creativity in the marshals favouring the local boy and whatnot, mind.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Powershift posted:

Mad max might be a dangerous idiot, but maybe that's what we need to make F1 watchable.

A full season of Verstappen, Hamilton, and vettel butting heads for an entire season, none willing to give an inch would be legendary.

He wasn't even dangerous though, Vettel was being a petulant oval office because he was expecting to sign for Ferrari and dominate like his hero Herr Schumacher the Great whilst casually forgetting Ferrari was a loving shitshow until 1999.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Powershift posted:

No, he's a hair unhinged. He's still an invincible teenager. Hell, he hit hulkenburg and spun in the first corner in the last race.

That said, he one-stopped, and where everybody said the supersofts would last ~13 laps, he went 23. If Anybody else one-stopped, they would have won that race. There is genuine skill there.

We haven't heard from Lauda yet, he probably hasn't stopped swearing long enough to give a reporter a coherent quote.

But then his response in the pen after the race was that of contrition, he knew he'd made a mistake and whilst not outright admitting it, his words were basically equivalent to "I did something Hulkenberg couldn't possibly have expected or seen."

I get that he's not had a massive incident because other drivers have made allowances for him and it's a totally valid argument. But counter to that you could argue that if he knows people are going to dive out of his way, then play up to it and get past. The drive that springs to mind is Monaco last year up where he was sneaking through blue flags until he outbraked himself at Eau Rivage, which admittedly was a textbook rookie error. The fact Rosberg made such a big deal of having to pass Verstappen in Abu Dhabi is, to my mind at least, testament to how good the boy is. Even the old heads don't want to 1v1 him on Rust.

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya brundle does but EJ said he had to spend the first half of the season convincing Brundle that it was actually possible to beat Senna and as soon as he did everything turned on its head. Honestly if you watch that doc my impression is that there wasn't a whole lot between those two drivers. That season was hugely political for both sides, I'm not a big fan of the British bias but I think it's fair to say both teams pulled tricks with the rules that year and Brundle being British had a negligible effect on the championship.

I did watch it, it's bloody good. But then I thought Senna was a bloody good documentary, but totally biased against Prost.

I get what you're saying, but it's EJ. The guy is and always has been full of poo poo. Brundle is about the only F1 pundit I actually respect because he is level headed and more often than not drat right. I trust his judgment as a race in retrospect of that season. If anything, that documentary made me sad that McLaren were total dogshit when he joined them. :(

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Deepfried posted:

Lewis may be talented but gently caress he's a classless oval office.

Knowing in your own mind that you're the better driver is fine. Belittling someone else's achievement, someone who's worked hard for 20+ years for his moment just because you happened to have a bad year / some bad luck is a loving cunty thing to do.

Just wish the guy well and go out and prove you're the best instead of constantly reminding everyone you are.

oval office.

This. He has gently caress all to gain by being a twat. It just makes no sense unless you're a loving dickwad with no self awareness.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
On the subject of Eddie Jordan, this guy can't even admit he's bald as gently caress and we all know it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

I don't get why people have an issue with it

blunt posted:

Uh, he's very open about the fact that he lost his hair from alopecia after a driving accident.

E; that sounds like a joke but it isn't.

Right, so what's all this poo poo with wearing wigs of different lengths to simulate the look of hair growth?

I mean, the dude is a character that frankly is totally missing from the roster of corporate dildo recipient principals we have right now but :wtc:

At least Lauda wears his driving incident disfigurement like a man shill for IWC.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I have the oddest feeling it is going to be not-max you know. Horner has been banging on about Pierre Gasly coming in to the next available seat again today. Which would be good because we need someone new to hate on, and whiirline in interviews has always come across as quite likeable and funny.

Plus, Giovinazzi is better than Pure Gastly.

Interesting to hear Are Ted (Founder of Exeter MotoSoc) thinking my thoughts about Rosberg refusing to comment on his number for 2017. That was the first sign that he wasn't going to be around so doesn't give a poo poo about being number 1 or number 6.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Good post, good post. sure.

Alternative opinion though, you and the rest of the "gosh well he did his damndest yadda yadda classy yadda yadda" can go and paddle in the mediocre pool with Rosberg. WINNERS don't give out their respect easily. Hamilton, Alonso, Senna, Schumacher. In fact Schumacher is the only one who used to say "yeah wow he's a great driver very impressive" to his poo poo teammate (Rubens) and he couldn't keep the smirk off his face so why are you're acting like this is noteworthy is beyond me.

Michael couldn't set a car up for poo poo and relied on drivers like Rubens and Irvine along with the engineers to come up with setups that were race-winners (as is widely documented) and then on team orders and his contract to make sure he won (as we watched for so many years).

gently caress, it was Massa that made him realise he couldn't compete anymore.

ETA: him blaming Bruno Senna for their accident in Spain was a loving joke. Old man can't hack it anymore in the days when driving your opponent into the loving pit wall is no bueno.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Does this mean Michael Schumacher used to rely on Jos Verstappen and JJ Letho to set up his cars at Benetton

No, he drove into Damon Hill and relied on Briatore not getting his rear end DSQ'd :shrug:

I'm not saying he wasn't talentless. He was one of the all time greats and to say otherwise would be ridiculous. But the man had his very obvious faults.

ETA: oh yeah, and the illegal poo poo Benneton were running.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

The "Benetton was illegal" talk is from jealous British journalists.

And Brazilians and Italians and Germans and etc etc etc. It's reductive and I shouldn't have brought it up. But the fact remains that during the Ferrari days, it is well documented Schumi was a driver. The same things were said about Mika Hakkinen - a duff development driver but if you had a halfway decent car he'd work miracles with it.

To my mind, Schumi's success was doing what no team has done since, which is building a dream team around him with Brawn, Todt, Clear et al. Ferrari of today need to pay attention and quit with this loving everybody is Italian bullshit that has seen them be junk since 2008.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

I need some proof here comrade.

Senna said so. What more do you need?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

You deliberately miss the point in the same way the Schumacher deliberately missed Villeneuve's wheel.

But not deliberately. Like Schumacher.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

Upon further review I have concluded that the Benetton must have relied on Verstappen, Lehto, and Johnny Herbert to set up the car. That's probably why it was so difficult to drive.

http://dai.ly/x2o8qkv

Good video explaining what I'm talking about.

Khablam posted:

Schumi would run like half the wing angle of Irvine (he'd test that poo poo to breaking point) and he was infamous in the number of hours of testing he would put in - where do you read this alt-history?
Not to say he was a one-man team but the guy was absurdly dedicated to his craft.

No question he was dedicated to his craft. He was the original F1 super athlete.

But anybody who has actually hosed around with suspension settings knows that pushing a car to its limits with unlimited testing on a private circuit is a world away to knowing the magic of how to set up a car.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 2, 2016

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Biased Brit hacks trying to sell their dying medium in lovely journalism shocker. This is the same Fleet Street that claimed Merc were going to fire Lewis over Abu Dhabi. loving lol.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

What the heck is Toto getting at here? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127386/mercedes-reluctant-to-chase-vettel-or-alonso

It really seems like he's saying "I don't want to gently caress them over this late in the year," which is just bizarre.

Seems pretty sensible to me. Don't make enemies with either of the sport's biggest teams and avoid spending a fortune on a). an EOL driver or b). an outspoken driver. Plus, Mercedes is a business and if they're going to invest money in young drivers only to place them in shitbox cars like Manor, what's the point of spending the money in the first place?

Whilst it would be awesome to see Vettel or Nando paired with Hamilton, it just doesn't really make sense from a number of perspectives, regardless of the regulation changes in 2017.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

To be fair his racing lines in Brazil were outstanding

But they weren't to anybody who karts competitively at even the lowest level. What is a mindfuck is that all these guys start in karting and yet they never accept that the rubbered in racing line is the most treacherous in the wet because it is basically like driving on ice. That's not to diminish Max's drive or ability, but he's kind of shooting fish in a barrel.

Driving a Rotax or shifter in the wet on the racing line is a drat quick way to get hurt quickly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

Hey the Merc seat is still free hotshot ;)

I've been sat by the phone all weekend. :(

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dreesemonkey posted:

How much do you think the wider tires and increased aero are going to effect trap speeds next year?

Engine development will be opened up, but with the RPM ceiling in place it seems like there isn't much more power to be found.

I know lap times should still be way quicker do to increased grip, wondering if it's going to bring the speeds down on some of the long straights.

I would've thought those with the biggest to gain will be Renault, Ferrari and Honda. Given that RPM and boost pressure are capped, freeing up development will only end in near enough parity between engine suppliers. Which should mean it becomes an aero war so whilst speed traps may become slower (depending upon just how much development headroom really is left for these engines), overall pace should be significantly faster over time.

A view I found interesting was that freeing up aero development won't necessarily make for more overtakes as the effect of turbulent air becomes more pronounced over complex body elements. So whilst the cars could be 2-5 seconds a lap quicker, they still struggle to overtake. Those of that viewpoint say that mechanical grip should be the focus rather than aero, but I do not know how accurate either view is.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

I can't be the only one to find Perez boring, can I?

Regardless of how trustworthy they are, a couple of pit lane pundits have alluded to Perez being happy having Telmex bankroll his drive, he gets to live the playboy lifestyle and has relatively few media/sponsorship/ambassadorial responsibilities. In fairness, it does sound like a p sweet deal; turn up to a race weekend, have a chat with Carlos Slim, chuck your state of the art F1 car round the track for a couple of days and then party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gret posted:

And they can reuse all the nico merchandise they already have at the warehouse.

Yeah, they might even sell a shirt or two if they sign Hulkenberg.

• Locked thread