Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1. D, B
2. K, N
3. S, T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
After a short but convincing discussion, biology is far to close to physiology and has been replaced by Patrick Spens suggestion of engineering. Apologies to everyone, I leave voting open a bit longer than normal to account for this fumble on my part.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Current tally
B is winning at 8 votes
F is winning at 4 votes
R is winning at 6 votes

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Apologies for the delay yet again, I had ill timing due to what occurred this past week. I hope you guys can forgive me, I'm new to this.

You enjoy your dorm room at College Hall, it being well earned from your impressive scholastic achievements. You've come from a fairly modest background, born and raised in London proper, so the dream of higher education would have normally eluded someone of your standing. But you managed and now here you are, studying to become a physicist, a highly respected and burgeoning field. Your scholarship will carry you as far as your potential allows, well as long as you don't skirt or break the rules of the University of London. To say you're on a tight leash would be a bit of under exaggeration, you're a woman competing for a mans spot and while you seem to have someone (someones?) vouching for you, there are obviously more than a few of the faculty and administration who would see you gone and someone more deserving to take your place. All the while juggling having to work to make ends meet at, oh dear where do you work again?

You work
A. At a department store
B. As a waitress
C. As an independent writer under a psuedonym
D. At the nearby Sanitarium as a janitor
E. In a factory constructing goods for the war effort
F. As a switch board operator
G. Fill in! I haven't though of everything!

You snap out of your reverie as the knocking at your door grows louder and the phone's ringing becomes more insistent, while the letter beckons on the floor. With so many things vying for your attention at once, you decide that the most urgent is the phone. You can read the letter any time, and you can tell the person behind the door to wait, but a phone won't ring forever.

You dash to your bedside table and grab the receiver. "He-Hello, is this Ms...Taggart? Ms. Diana Taggart?" the uncertain voice of a young man at the other end asks. "Yes, this is Diana Taggart, may I ask who is calling?", you loudly reply, trying to overcome the volume of the knocking at your door. "W-well, of course, my apologies. I'm Ernest Aston calling on behalf of Professor Kruger to see if you are interested in a paid position to assist in our research". A paid position? You are in need of cash, as your current job doesn't pay quite well enough, but Professor Kruger is head of the department of chemistry, not exactly on the same wavelength as your current major of physics. From behind your door comes the sound of a young womans voice filled with urgency and concern, "Diana I can hear you, are you trying to ignore me? Answer, please!"

"Just one minute!", you shout back, hand cupped over the receiver. You can hear Ernest's muffled voice vying for your attention, "Ms. Taggart, are you there? It's a salaried position, pay is modest but we hope to get more funding for our work soon". You bring the receiver up to your lips but hesitate - what do you say to Mr. Aston?

You say
H. Thank you for the offer, but I'll have to decline
I. Of course, when and where do I start?
J. Salaried? Let's negotiate then!
K. Can I have more time to think?
L. Hang up rudely

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C, let's get our polymath on.

Write in M: "I am interested, but I have someone knocking at my door right at this very moment. Can you call me back in five minutes so that I can devote my full attention to the matter as it deserves?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AJ_Impy posted:

Write in M: "I am interested, but I have someone knocking at my door right at this very moment. Can you call me back in five minutes so that I can devote my full attention to the matter as it deserves?"

This, We write steamy erotic fiction for the trashiest of street rags.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Same as above

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C, M bandwagon

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

AJ_Impy posted:

This.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

AJ_Impy posted:

Sure.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

This.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Decision seems fairly unanimous, C and M win.

Your mind races on the possibilities of a greater income. As a freelance writer, you're not paid a handsome amount and don't always write on topics you're enthusiastic about. Trashy dime novels are your forte as you struggle to get the work you put your heart and soul into published. You make up for the poor pay and recognition by sheer volume, and you're moderately well known under your pseudonym, although saying you have fans is a bit of a stretch.

What is you're Pseudonym?
Submit anything within reason.

"I am interested, but I have someone knocking at my door right at this very moment. Can you call me back in five minutes so that I can devote my full attention to the matter as it deserves? There is a slight pause on the other end of the line before Ernest responds, you can almost hear the scratching of pen on paper. "I'll mark you down as interested Ms. Taggart, in case I cannot reach you I'll leave you our number. If time permits you can obviously visit us during school hours, but please hurry and make your decision, paid positions don't last long." After jotting down the number Ernest gives you, you divert your attention to the racket at your door.

[Wendy would be the one on the left, she looks similar but not exactly so.]

You take a peak through the peephole and spy one Wendy Shepard dressed in casual day clothes, coat and brimmed hat; one of your fellow students. You know her from her passing out IWW and suffragette leaflets on the school grounds, a bundle of which she appears to hold in the crook of her arm. She's suffered reprimand several times for this, yet expulsion has never been on the table for her as her family is wealthy and donates regularly to the University. Wendy's tendency to brazenly use it as a shield for her behavior rubs a lot of people wrong (well, most people), but a few have befriended her and even feel emboldened to speak out. Wendy is otherwise a dutiful if not spectacular student and extremely patriotic, having obtained work at a munitions factory despite not wanting for anything. You hesitate a second before opening the door.

Wendy leans in on the peephole and gives a faux-dour look, and speaks in a muffled and stuffy voice "I know you're in there Diana, everyone else in the hall knows you're in there, the whole world might with the ruckus that you made last night. They say you were drunk and uttering nonsense, and I said that's not the Diana I know and now you have me here yelling at your door worried about you. Diana please, just show me you're alright?". Leaving your door chain in place, you open the door ajar. "Oh that's better already", replies a now smiling Wendy. Her nose quickly wrinkles though "Oh I recognize that smell Diana, why on earth would go and get so piss drunk on such awful whiskey? Dear heavens look at you, baggy eyes, messy clothes and disheveled hair. Doesn't seem to have been a very fun party. Well, are you going to invite me in or will I catch further cold in this chill hall?". As if to punctuate her point, Wendy lets out a loud sneeze which she catches in her kerchief.

Do you let Wendy in?
A. No, Wendy is sick, and she sounds crazy. Partying? Drinking? Absurd! Yes you're room is a mess but that's because you were up late completing yet another dime novel because a girl has to eat, and we don't need to spend money on medicine when she gets us sick.

B. No, you feel sick. Partying? Drinking? Ugh, you can feel the last 24 hours catching up to you suddenly and it instead feels like the last week! This is no time for visitors, even if you appreciate someone checking up on you.

C. No, you barely know her. She's just that one really outspoken person in the halls between classes, you actively attempt to avoid her. Why is she bothering you now, why can't she just go away? You don't need to get sick and you don't need some loudmouthed busybody getting into your personal affairs.

D. Yes, let her in, you could use the company as the past 24 hours comes rushing back to you, 24 hours that you don't really remember. Maybe some tea and you both can work on getting cleaned up.

E. Yes, let her in! You and Wendy are thick as thieves, you share everything and this is no exception. If she says you look terrible and seemed to have an even worse night, well then she's probably right. Invite her in

F. Don't invite her in, but do step out into the hall to talk to her. You're rather busy and you're waiting on a phone call, but you'll spare the time to figure out what on earth she's talking about. She doesn't need to see the travesty that is your dorm room, nor pry any deeper into your life either.

G. Tell Wendy in no uncertain terms to go away and leave you alone. Forever.

H. Other, write in!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Pen Name: Suzanne de Nimes

Write in H:"Wendy, dearest, you know I'm teetotal, which means you probably need to step in for other reasons. I'm afraid I'm going to be a terrible host: I was in the middle of a vitally important phone call when you knocked. Still, come inside, grab a seat, I'll be with you very shortly when I'm done." Resume phone call.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D

No preference on the name.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Just for clarity, yes you can hold Wendy hostage until the next update and badger her with questions. Not sure if that was clear or not.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

D

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

If no new votes in the next couple of hours I'll start the update.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thick as thieves, let her in, check out the letter really quick though

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Thick as thieves, let her in, check out the letter really quick though

This.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Haha, this is what I get for being so slow. Can I get a tiebreaker?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

E

She's a good friend, let her in. At worst she can be bored while we handle another call or read the letter.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Okay vote closed, update within the hour.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

"Well, are you going to invite me in or will I catch further cold in this chill hall?". You and Wendy are wonderful friends, of course you invite her in! You shut the door to remove the door chain while taking the moment to retrieve the letter at the base of the door. The letter is unremarkable, except for the curious symbol imprinted into the wax seal. 

Breaking the seal, you unfold the simple parchment revealing in beautifully elegant handwriting "Meet me at the British Museum tonight". It's unsigned and a quick check of the envelope reveals no pertinent information about the sender. You shrug your shoulders and with your free hand open the door to let Wendy in. As Wendy enters your dorm, she lets out an audible gasp. "Good heavens, look at this mess, your neighbors weren't kidding when they said it sounded like London Zoo was next door, here let me help you clean up." Being polite you set the letter down and go to warm the kettle for tea, checking your breath while you do so. It smells alcoholic, but you wouldn't describe it as whiskey, it has a clinical quality to it. Odd. You return to Wendy and chat as you both go about picking papers and clothes from the floor. Wendy divulges that from what she had been told, you had blundered into College Hall ranting, irrational and uncoordinated. You then made your way loudly to your dorm were raucous noises soon followed, but for a few moments "As soon as I found out what transpired I came with all due haste. You had me worried sick." The roar of the tea kettle interrupts your conversation, and you leave Wendy to continue cleaning up while you pour tea for the both of you. Handing her a cup, you have but a moment to take a sip from yours before the phone demands your attention once again. Precisely 5 minutes, you remark to yourself. On the opposite end of the line is Ernest again, and after you exchange greetings he gets right down to business. "The position is predominantly to assist in collating the Professor's latest experimental results. There is some degree of sensitivity in the matter of using unpaid help, and we are looking for keen eyes to assist in analysis as well. We're offering 10 pounds a week to start, up to 100 pounds a month."

Do you accept Ernest's offer?
A. Yes
B. No

You can freely question either Ernest or Wendy.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A Experimental info, from what is probably cutting edge research? Yes please. I'm not sure how good the money is, but this is a while ago so 100 pounds a month might actually go somewhere. And we voted to be good at math, so we might as well use that ability to crunch some data.

"Wendy, have you heard of any good temporary exhibits at the museum these days?"

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

What kind of experiments is the professor running?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A

"Wendy, who exactly has been telling you these things?"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

"Wendy, have you heard of any good temporary exhibits at the museum these days?"

Wendy ponders for a moment before answering, "Well, I can't say I'm much of a museum-goer, but I know they have a recent exhibit on recently unveiled finds from Carchemish."

Mr. Nemo posted:

What kind of experiments is the professor running?

You can almost feel Ernest's eyebrow raise across the line. "Inorganic-organic matter reactions. I can assure you that the experiments we are conducting are aboveboard and the Council has given it's approval for our work. There is some degree of sensitivity in what information I can share over the phone, I hope you understand."

AJ_Impy posted:

"Wendy, who exactly has been telling you these things?"

Wendy looks a bit perplexed "Honestly dear, do you think such an incident wouldn't be gossiped about? Star pupil who is notoriously studious comes back one night on a roaring bender? You're lucky someone hasn't reported you to the Dean yet, heaven forbid!"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
B It is insanely sketchy that we are being asked to accept the job without an interview, or even knowing what we are doing. If we take this job we are going to be an experiment.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Patrick Spens posted:

B It is insanely sketchy that we are being asked to accept the job without an interview, or even knowing what we are doing. If we take this job we are going to be an experiment.

Who needs an interview when you are s star pupil and a lady in a man dominated field?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Who needs an interview when you are s star pupil and a lady in a man dominated field?

Are you saying everyone involved is being objective and honest?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FaustianQ posted:

Are you saying everyone involved is being objective and honest?

Absolutely!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well my apologies for the accidental deception, I'm still new at this. Someone like Wendy would not have the most objective view of your academic career, and you have every right to be suspicious of every character.

If there is more you'd like to critique please hit me up with a PM, I'm more than happy to discuss ways to improve my writing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FaustianQ posted:

You can almost feel Ernest's eyebrow raise across the line. " Inorganic-organic matter reactions.

Ah. I'm in. Finally, a chance for some yet to be realised Something Awful CYOA robofucking.

:roboluv:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Accept the job! Quit fuckin' around. If we don't like it we'll quit and become a barista.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Advance the plot, you say? Absolutely!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A has conclusively won, going to close voting. Update should be in a few.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

You decide that Ernest's offer is too good to pass up, even if it seems a bit sketchy. "Excellent, you begin tomorrow. Please arrive early in the morning for orientation, and bring a form of identification with you." As you hang up with Ernest you feel sudden concern about how this might conflict with your class schedule. Hopefully you can have your questions answered at orientation tomorrow. Now free of Ernest you turn your attention to Wendy, and you two while away the following hour discussing various things as you finish tidying up your dorm room, in which Wendy mentions the supposed pub you had come back drunk from, the Emerald Elephant. "Of course, that's naught but slanderous rumor, you would never go to such an unsavory place", Wendy quickly adds. "If you have the time though, the girls and I from IWW will be doing some charity work for a local orphanage later today. We could always use an extra hand, but don't feel obligated on my behalf, you had a rough day yesterday." Glancing at her pocket watch Wendy sighs. "Oh dear, it's getting late in the day and I need to get going to properly organize the charity. It was good to see you Diana." You thank Wendy for coming to see you and exchange good byes.

Now alone, and a free day ahead of you,  how will you spend it?
A. Go to the park, you could use some fresh air.
B. Stay in your dorm and study, you have a lot to catch up on.
C. Go assist Wendy at the orphanage with the charity. Helping orphans sounds like a good idea, those poor children.
D. Go with Wendy to help organize the charity. Wendy is your best friend and you have an open schedule for today, and she was kind enough to come check up on you, and you want to get more involved in what Wendy spends her time doing.
F. Go find more about this Emerald Elephant. Wendy says it's an unsavory place but wasn't explicit why, and you'd like to know more.
G. Meet this Ernest follow early. It shouldn't be too hard to find him, and you'd like to clear up a few things now before they become an issue.
H. Ask about the campus to get a better idea of what you've just signed yourself up for. Ernest was a bit cagey about details, maybe someone else has a better idea or will be more forthcoming.
I. Shadow Wendy, you have this weird gut feeling she isn't being 100% honest with you. You too are best friends and it feels like she is holding out on you.
J. Fill in!

The unmarked letter at your door, the mysterious symbol on the soul and even more cryptic message "Meet me at the British Museum tonight". You have no idea who would want to meet with you, maybe it's a mistake? What if it isn't? Should you be so trusting of random invites from all you know a complete stranger? You contemplate how to tackle this. This is in addition to your vote above!
K. Go to the museum now. Scout it out, see if you notice anyone you recognize who might have written the letter.
L. Go to the museum later. You'll be as careful as possible, but you want to know more and don't want to accidentally spook your mysterious messenger.
M. Don't go to the museum at all. Ignore the letter, it's either too dangerous to go in your opinion or was slipped under your door by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Lets keep this incident on the DL

• Locked thread