Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ah, another edition of 'why can't I call those Pakis Paki? How dare you call me racist' On bbc1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

You claim there should be retribution.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/retribution

The word intrinsically implies harm to the person retributed on.

If that harm isn't the conditions of incarceration, then it must be something else. Let's see if someone posted what that could be...

Huh.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retribution

Try a dictionary next time, not a thesaurus.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

You didn't scroll to the legal definition, did you? Or the etymology? Or checked the linked word in the two out of three definitions (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/punishment), the third definition implying reward?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

You didn't scroll to the legal definition, did you? Or the etymology?

Yes I did.

As fascinating as it is exploring these hyperlinks with you, i'm not sure what your point is anymore.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The worst thing about being tried by a jury is the prospect that someone like Pissflaps might be responsible for deciding your fate.
Bad enough you get a dozen loving idiots presiding over your case, but what happens when deliberations go on for 17 weeks because Pissflaps can't agree with everyone anyone else over whether the meal you had a week before your alleged crime was a sandwich or a snack involving slice(s) of bread.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yes I did.

Have you intentionally left out the part that renders your argument void or was it because of my ninja edit?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

As fascinating as it is exploring these hyperlinks with you, i'm not sure what your point is anymore.

lmao you are a lost cause.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

Have you intentionally left out the part that renders your argument void or was it because of my ninja edit?

What argument have you rendered void with your edited in hyperlink to a definition of a word?

edit: Tories getting nervy in Richmond Park, apparently.

edit2: Libdems now favourite to win following early vote sampling.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 2, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pissflaps posted:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

dex_sda posted:

You should know that by now. We all know that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

dex_sda posted:

Said the trout after he'd been thrown back into the river.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Rumour going around that Wolmar is in very serious danger of losing his deposit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pissflaps posted:

I don't want to hurt them - unless you mean that incarcerating someone is in itself hurting them regardless of the conditions someone is kept in?

Then you don't want retribution.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
For those that are interested, the Supreme Court has uploaded the docs and timetable for the Article 50 hearing:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/news/article-50-brexit-appeal.html

Hadn't realised Scottish and Welsh governments have both also submitted cases against the Gov as "interveners".

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

TomViolence posted:

You should know that by now. We all know that.

You say that, but we're on idiot gets into pedantic argument with Pissflaps #26584 just for this year.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Pissflaps posted:

What argument have you rendered void with your edited in hyperlink to a definition of a word?

When should we expect to hear the result?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Ewan posted:

When should we expect to hear the result?

Between 2am to 3am.

e: Labour from the count now briefing the Lib Dems has won.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The punishment/retributive side of prison is removing them from society thereby suspending certain freedoms for a specific length of time. It is possible for prison to be both this (punishment) as well as a place where prisoners receive reformation in a specific manner

This isn't hard.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps is using retribution when he means punishment

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Namtab posted:

Pissflaps is using retribution when he means punishment
"Retribution" and "punishment" are close enough in meaning to be the same really. Retribution has a slightly more emotional feel to it, but it is still "bad thing happens to you for thing you have done".

lol @ dictionary definition:

retribution: punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act.
punishment: the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offence.

So retribution is a punishment, and punishment is the imposition of retribution. Right, got it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also shame on that goon for linking the American English dictionary, and to the people who think retribution is harm-based only.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Have the Lib Dem colours gone a lot more orangey?

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/803999625887776768

Or just a dodgy photo?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Richmond Park turnout of 54%

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The hazardous material diamond style is appropriate for the party I suppose.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Have the Lib Dem colours gone a lot more orangey?

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/803999625887776768

Or just a dodgy photo?

Dodgy photo I think, presumably facing into the sun is mucking the colours up (and Willie rennie isn't normally that tanned). For comparison:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The #libdemfightback is happening. Student politics is real again!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oh ffs, they are doing the conga on This Week.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Rumour going around that Wolmar is in very serious danger of losing his deposit.

I hope Wolmar gets lined up for a winnable seat at some point. He seems like a good sort who just wants the trains to be good.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I hope Wolmar gets lined up for a winnable seat at some point. He seems like a good sort who just wants the trains to be good.

I like Wolmar too, tbh. I did enjoy his most recent column in RAIL where he talks about putting a tenner on himself at 250-1 because, hey, Leicester won the Premier League.

e: Labour now directly briefing that it'll be 50/50 on whether they lose their deposit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Did Labour lose their deposit in 2015?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

e: Labour now directly briefing that it'll be 50/50 on whether they lose their deposit.

I'm the biggest Corbyn fan out there and I'd still vote Lib Dem in that seat. It's one of those occasions where tactical voting makes the most sense.

Fully expecting the slew of headlines declaring the result a referendum on Corbyn's leadership.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jabby posted:

I'm the biggest Corbyn fan out there and I'd still vote Lib Dem in that seat. It's one of those occasions where tactical voting makes the most sense.

Fully expecting the slew of headlines declaring the result a referendum on Corbyn's leadership.

Yeah, they shouldn't have stood. If Olney doesn't win, expect the Lib Dems, SNP, and Plaid Cymru to squeeze Labour very hard on them effectively giving the Tories the seat.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

Yeah, they shouldn't have stood. If Olney doesn't win, expect the Lib Dems, SNP, and Plaid Cymru to squeeze Labour very hard on them effectively giving the Tories the seat.

Many people on Twitter saying Labour canvassers told them to vote Lib Dem. Labour were indeed stupid to stand a candidate. Whichever way it goes, Labour gets negative press.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

There's a literal peer of the realm and former Downing Street SpAd (as well as Tory Leader of the Council) complaining about the Lib Dem machine crushing the poor plucky totally-not-a-Tory-I'm-really-Independent-honest-guv local candidate Zac Goldsmith.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's really only three motivations people have to commit murder.

1. Profit. These types of people kill for personal gain. They also think they're smart enough to not get caught. The only effective deterrent is to make sure people's needs are met.
2. Passion. The type of person who 'snaps' and kills out of impulse. Your classic 'Find your lover in bed with another person, you snap and kill them both' etc. The only effective deterrent here is to raise people who are well adjusted enough to not go over the limit, or massively reduce the stress in people's lives. Security and safety goes a long way to protecting against this type.
3. Compulsion. Genuinely mentally ill people who are compelled to kill. Serial killers etc. The best deterrent here is proper access to well funded mental health services, in addition to the removal of the stigma associated with mental health problems. If there is genuinely no help yet, then humanely keeping them separate from society is probably the best option.

Retribution doesn't work against this, and isn't actually a deterrent for any of these types.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lib Dems briefing they've won.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lib Dems loving walk it.

Get in there.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Rumour has it Labour activists were wink wink nudge nudging about the Lib Dems.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Another Tory out of a job, huzzah! Not that he will have to sign on, mind. Also, do the monster raving loony party always run that chap who looks like Boss Hog from Dukes of Hazzard? He must have money to burn, all the deposits he has lost.

I'm mostly surprised a Tory keep their word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

That depends entirely on the murderer and the circumstances of the crime. Some could very well need no rehabilitation.

Er, so you'd let somebody who killed another human being in cold blood walk, then?

Bit uncomfortable with this.

• Locked thread