Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/ro...6352150843.html

While not really buying into the whole climate change/warming thing, sometimes I feel it would be cool to get as much off the grid as possible. Here in the mountains of Utah, above the inversion, we get a poo poo ton of sun pretty much all year. Rocky Mountain Power (pretty much the only electric company out here, read: monopoly) have decided to attempt to raise rates on the power they provide to those with solar panels by an obscene amount. This would be the electricity that is needed during longer night periods and cloudy (relatively rare here but yeah) days.

quote:

If accepted by the Public Service Commission, customers who install solar panels after Dec. 9 of this year will be subject to higher rates. Previous customers will not be affected. If approved, the rates will go into effect in August 2017.

Paul Murphy, spokesperson for Rocky Mountain Power, said an average rooftop solar customer in Utah uses 1,000 kWh per month, half of which comes from solar panels. Currently, they pay $55 a month, and under the new proposal they would pay $74 a month. The average traditional energy bill is $114.

So in a nutshell, if you need less of what they are providing, they will charge you more for what you DO use! :homebrew:

As a result I will probably hold off on solar until batteries and panels are good enough that I can tell them to gently caress off entirely.
Will they ever become that good?

I am old enough to remember "global cooling", so kindly gently caress off
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

While not really buying into the whole climate change/warming thing

lol

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

unfortunately since you chose not to install solar panels the critical mass of solar adoption will never be attained, thus it will never be an economically viable technology

so good job with that you selfish gently caress

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Fog Tripper posted:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fog Tripper posted:

As a result I will probably hold off on solar until batteries and panels are good enough that I can tell them to gently caress off entirely.

They're that good right now, it's just that you need a lot of both (panels + batteries) to make sure you don't need to be on the grid. I have neighbours who have a solar/wind setup, and they are totally off the grid. They have a battery bank that can keep them going for 2-3 days without sun/wind, but then again they use a bunch of propane as well (heating/cooking/hot water). They have had this setup for going on 10 years, and they can't remember a single time where they drained their batteries as you usually have either sun or wind each day.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

quote:

Here in the mountains of Utah,

Yup

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Well congrats in buying into the oil company astroturfed "global cooling" hoax designed to mislead idiots like you, and also on fooling yourself into thinking your archaic experience counts for anything in the modern world

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Doctor J Off posted:

Well congrats in buying into the oil company astroturfed "global cooling" hoax designed to mislead idiots like you, and also on fooling yourself into thinking your archaic experience counts for anything in the modern world

congrats, op, on your success

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Are they charging different rates for peak/off-peak usage for residential customers anywhere in the US yet? (Like $0.08/kWh at night but $0.15/kWh during the day)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
way to go op

shoot yourself right in your dumb foot

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Yivgev posted:

congrats, op, on your success

Thanks! Apparently remembering the 70s has a downside.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

While not really buying into the whole climate change/warming thing, sometimes I feel it would be cool to get as much off the grid as possible. Here in the mountains of Utah, above the inversion, we get a poo poo ton of sun pretty much all year. Rocky Mountain Power (pretty much the only electric company out here, read: monopoly) have decided to attempt to raise rates on the power they provide to those with solar panels by an obscene amount. This would be the electricity that is needed during longer night periods and cloudy (relatively rare here but yeah) days.

So in a nutshell, if you need less of what they are providing, they will charge you more for what you DO use! :homebrew:

Heh do you also still think cigarettes are good for your health u fuckin idiot

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fog Tripper posted:

While not really buying into the whole climate change/warming thing,

*nods solemnly while cranking out a massive fart*

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fog Tripper the Third in 30 years "I'm still old enough to remember vaccines giving you autism so gently caress off"

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Though to be fair he'll be thinkin of his granddad

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Shinjobi posted:

way to go op

shoot yourself right in your dumb foot

Clearly shelling out 50% more to the power company will make things all better, because they should make more money when one decides to go solar.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
*kindly fucks off*

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Why don't you 'buy in' to climate change op?

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
So to be clear, the current goonpinion is that climate change = real?

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

Are they charging different rates for peak/off-peak usage for residential customers anywhere in the US yet? (Like $0.08/kWh at night but $0.15/kWh during the day)

I know AZ and TX have companies that do this. There's even an energy company in TX where they advertise FREE!!! electricity during a couple hours.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

pants in my pants posted:

So to be clear, the current goonpinion is that climate change = real?

Nah I'm pretty sure most goons live in an alternate reality where it's up for debate.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Solid troll

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Fog Tripper posted:

While not really buying into the whole climate change/warming thing, sometimes I feel it would be cool to get as much off the grid as possible.

did Trump winning embolden you to double down on your stupidity, because your QCS whine thread tells us you're not a troll, just a very sad man

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

honestly i think it's an excellent troll, burying the stupidity (climate change isn't happening lol) within a veneer of pragmatism (solar panels are good) is a guaranteed smash

well done OP! you should email the Duterte administration, they pay top dollar for hard-working trolls like you

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Science is fake op

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Pawn 17 posted:

Science is fake op

pl;ease refrain from trolling

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
jesus loving christ op this is a hellll of a thread! can i get a hell yeah???

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
hell yea

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
to be fair, climate change is a bunch of crap

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
and to be fair, the earth is obviously flat

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Autism Sneaks posted:

did Trump winning embolden you to double down on your stupidity, because your QCS whine thread tells us you're not a troll, just a very sad man

For everyone else said thread was whining about lacking proper grammar and punctuation being mod actionable. So yes OP is a tool.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Nationalize it

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Fog Tripper posted:

"Global Cooling" was a single Times magazine article from the 70s. During one of the early serious American scientific conferences on climate change hosted by MIT, there was some limited discussion of whether particulate production could produce a cooling effect that would outstrip the warming effect of increased levels of CO2. The Time magazine article focused on that because "global ice age" was an easier SCARY concept to sell to its readership. However the conclusion of most of the reasearchers at the time was still "no global warming will be the main problem." Since then, particulate production has significantly dropped and CO2 production significantly increased. However, a bunch of oil companies that continue to suckle off government kickbacks in order to maintain their facade of economic superiority gladly blew up "global cooling" as if it were an actual scientific consensus in order to further prevent people from realizing that renewables are not just economically sensible, but ecologically imperative.

Anyhow, yes Photovoltaic and energy storage technology are already good enough that in sunny parts of the country you could go off grid entirely if you wanted to but you'd probably need a hundred thousand or so of up front costs.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The fact that climate change ushered in stuff like carbon credit, pointlessly 'green' poo poo, hybrid cars, and the moral superiority to smugly give your money to a trillion dollar industry because you're doing the right thing really makes me second guess it's legitimacy

I mean its probably true but to what degree? it's such a hot button topic any scientist in the field is either paid off by someone or won't touch it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
anyway it's too late for alternative energy to work its magic

carbon scrubbers, that's where the money will go

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
invest in windmill energy OP

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

nigga crab pollock posted:

The fact that climate change ushered in stuff like carbon credit, pointlessly 'green' poo poo, hybrid cars, and the moral superiority to smugly give your money to a trillion dollar industry because you're doing the right thing really makes me second guess it's legitimacy

I mean its probably true but to what degree? it's such a hot button topic any scientist in the field is either paid off by someone or won't touch it

How did people somehow get convinced that the renewable energy lobby is a trillion dollar cabal. Like, do you think that the money controlled by climate scientists is the same order of magnitude as that controlled by oil, gas, coal, and manufacturers of internal combustion engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

nigga crab pollock posted:

Capitalists gonna capitalize. Good ideas get converted to profit since always.

Climate change is real sure enough, reducing our pollution is the correct idea but it's been watered down to mean "clean" and "efficient" buying practices.

Where scientists are failing is communicating the dire straits we're all in.

• Locked thread