Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

david carmichael posted:

Gsp got hardy, Silva got cote and leites and sonnen, Jones got sonnen and rampage, and so on. I feel like the pool of people who have 5 defenses is very small

It is. I sat there for like 10 minutes trying to think who had an easy fight with at least 5 defenses. Demetrious Johnson got Cariaso, Ronda Rousey got [ranked female bantamweight],

was Chuck Liddell's title run pretty legit? I mean at the time. I can imagine it being pretty okay but that's because I don't know the body of Jeremy Horn's work other than he schooled Chael Sonnen a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

It is. I sat there for like 10 minutes trying to think who had an easy fight with at least 5 defenses. Demetrious Johnson got Cariaso, Ronda Rousey got [ranked female bantamweight],

was Chuck Liddell's title run pretty legit? I mean at the time. I can imagine it being pretty okay but that's because I don't know the body of Jeremy Horn's work other than he schooled Chael Sonnen a bunch

chuck fought vernon white which was bs, and the horn fight, which did have the revenge angle at least, but both those two guys took two of the most one sided beatings

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hughes 1st reign was pretty solid (especially for the era) but the second time he fought royce once

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1st AD posted:

Conor is truly the greatest FW. He crushed Chad, killed Aldo, and even surpassed KenFlo's suit and hair game.

So weird that Brimage's power meter didn't see this coming.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

Bagautinov is arguable for Johnson as well.

Hughes must've had an easy defense. Tiki Ghosn? Tito had Ken, Elvis Sinosic, and Yuki Kondo.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

chuck fought vernon white which was bs, and the horn fight, which did have the revenge angle at least, but both those two guys took two of the most one sided beatings

White wasn't a title fight.

Bundt Cake posted:

Hughes 1st reign was pretty solid (especially for the era) but the second time he fought royce once

Royce was non-title (fought at 175 lbs.)

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Sprecherscrow posted:

Bagautinov is arguable for Johnson as well.

Hughes must've had an easy defense. Tiki Ghosn? Tito had Ken, Elvis Sinosic, and Yuki Kondo.

titos reign was a sham cuz chuck was fighting all the good fighters

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Sprecherscrow posted:

White wasn't a title fight.

Royce was non-title (fought at 175 lbs.)

then the only joke fights for chuck were horn and tito

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The stupid Hughes v Riggs fight was non-title too but HUghes deserves credit for getting a kimura without passing guard

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Bluedeanie posted:

We need to get the posture expert in here to weigh in and let us know if they're really the same size or Tim's slumping

Tim's been slumping since September 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
has anybody ever figured out which UFC fighter has fought the overall toughest competition? I feel like we talked about that a few months or years ago but I dunno if we ever came to a conclusion.

It might be BJ Penn cause he fought a ton of a killers. Or maybe it was Condit. That's my favorite stat cause a guy like Carlos Condit wasn't ever a champion but if you looked at his UFC career there aren't hardly any christian morecrafts on the docket. Those guys deserve the real ultimate fighting championship awards the belt is just an accessory

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Condit only has 2 decision wins too, which is crazy considering how hard it is to finish elite fighters.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Speaking of Carla Esparza having a bad time, she needs to sell the Harley she won on TUF because she only has enough in the bank for 2 months of bills. There's some other stuff about her struggling to get booked for a fight on the post too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNhRUrvhdl4/

Boo hoo I have to sell my Harley because I'm ducking Gadelha

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
id say its likely youre right and condit or someone else from his era of WW has had the roughest schedule (without looking i might lean towards hendricks)

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Jake Shields has fought everyone that matters at 170 and also Dan Henderson

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Everyone Rick story fights is on a big streak or is a hyped prospect

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

My only memory of Charlie Brennemen is his watching his afro wiggle as increasingly large people take his head off. That's a pretty rough schedule.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

id say its likely youre right and condit or someone else from his era of WW has had the roughest schedule (without looking i might lean towards hendricks)

I still gotta give the slight edge to Condit even though Hendricks is right up there with him. They have a lot of overlapping opponents and "guys who beat that guy they didn't beat" but ultimately Condit's UFC career has 4 guys who went on to be champion (Georges, Johny, Robbie, Tyron) while Johny's is only 2 (Georges, Robbie).

In that regard Johny Hendricks fighting Carlos Condit is more noteworthy than Carlos Condit fighting Johny Hendricks. Yeah whatever stat makes Carlos Condit the actual greatest ultimate fighter ever is the one I like the most.

To bring it all the way around if you added up the wins/loss ratios of Aldo's opponents he would be right up there with having the roughest schedule. I bet Mark Hominick is the only guy who had near or less than a .500 UFC record and most of his wins were over trash fighters. Pretty much everybody else Aldo fought were guys who beat a bunch of other top ranked UFC featherweights/lightweights to get where they are now.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
From Wikipedia "Charles "Charlie" Brenneman (born February 9, 1981) is a Former American mixed martial artist"

He got put through the wringer so much they even took his nationality away from him.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It's GSP for sure. He's consistently fought the best Welterweights his whole career, he even started off fighting decent journeymen like Ivan Menjivar and Pete Spratt.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

then the only joke fights for chuck were horn and tito

watch your loving mouth

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

chaleski posted:

It's GSP for sure. He's consistently fought the best Welterweights his whole career, he even started off fighting decent journeymen like Ivan Menjivar and Pete Spratt.

menjivar was a great, undersized fighter. spratt is likely to lose to a 16 yr old wrestler.

Chucks second fight was pele, and 3rd was horn, if you wanna bring that stuff up

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

GSP fought Jason Mayhem Miller though, which is like some kind of negative MMA achievement, so nope.

Condit is all positives

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
As always, the answer to the question is Dan Henderson

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Bundt Cake posted:

menjivar was a great, undersized fighter. spratt is likely to lose to a 16 yr old wrestler.

Chucks second fight was pele, and 3rd was horn, if you wanna bring that stuff up

Aside from a few cans early in his UFC career, Chuck has fought top-flight competition his whole career so I don't see your point.

GSP has fought almost exclusively good competition though.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

GSP fought Jason Mayhem Miller though, which is like some kind of negative MMA achievement, so nope.

Not for the title, he didn't

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Frankie Edgar's worst wins are an 11-0 late-replacement prospect who was on a 4-fight finishing streak, and Jeremy Stevens. I can't remember how highly rated Mark Bocek and Spenser Fisher were at that time, but they were never pushovers. He gets bonus points due to size difference, too.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

chaleski posted:

Aside from a few cans early in his UFC career, Chuck has fought top-flight competition his whole career so I don't see your point.

GSP has fought almost exclusively good competition though.

my point was chuck can match gsp as far as crazy early career challenges

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Frankie Edgar's worst wins are an 11-0 late-replacement prospect who was on a 4-fight finishing streak, and Jeremy Stevens. I can't remember how highly rated Mark Bocek and Spenser Fisher were at that time, but they were never pushovers. He gets bonus points due to size difference, too.

fisher and franca were the two best/most established guys besides sherk, and edgar beat em both

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Detroit_Dogg posted:

As always, the answer to the question is Dan Henderson

Bisping
Lombard
Belfort
Boetsch
Mousasi
DC
Shogun
Rashad
Machida
Fedor
Rafael Calvacante
Renato Sobrai
horseface
Franklin
Paul Harris
Anderson
Rampage
Wanderlei
Misake
Bustamante
Oyama
Little Nog
Ninja Rua
Akira Shoji
Renzo
Gilbert Yvel
A few other people I've never heard of
Carlos Newton
Couple more people I've never heard of.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
No ones won more dubious decisions over great fighters than Hendo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

He gets bonus points due to size difference, too.

That he is actually a bantamweight absolutely floors me. Frankie / Cruz is in my top 5 dream fights and I hope it happens because featherweight will be a poo poo fight for a while.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bluedeanie posted:

Not for the title, he didn't

yeah I wasn't interested in title runs anymore cause there's a really small group who have defended the belt more than 3 times and the answer is gonna be Jose Aldo

But trying to figure out who has had the overall roughest schedule of opponents is a cool topic to me. Even great dads like Dan Henderson did mostly fight the best of the best, but they also fought Feijao which kind of makes it no so impressive. Boetsch is in the category of sort of a good win, but sort of a who gives a poo poo win.

I still haven't seen a better overall list than Carlos Condit whose career is gonna continue to age like fine wine when Demian Maia wins the belt next

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah I wasn't interested in title runs anymore cause there's a really small group who have defended the belt more than 3 times and the answer is gonna be Jose Aldo

But trying to figure out who has had the overall roughest schedule of opponents is a cool topic to me. Even great dads like Dan Henderson did mostly fight the best of the best, but they also fought Feijao which kind of makes it no so impressive. Boetsch is in the category of sort of a good win, but sort of a who gives a poo poo win.

I still haven't seen a better overall list than Carlos Condit whose career is gonna continue to age like fine wine when Demian Maia wins the belt next

All of that's fair except Condit, who's had largely great UFC opponents but a poo poo ton of cans in the WEC and beyond.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

true but that's why you gotta come up with some sort of parameters or else everybody is gonna have some bums on their records, and that's why I try to limit it to only UFC fights or thereabouts.

i mean technically cung le only fought 3 UFC fights and everybody was pretty decent (wanderlei, cote, bisping) so then you sorta do gotta start dipping into the other organizations. So yeah it's tough to figure out what should count and what shouldn't. I just know Condit is gonna be up there regardless cause the absolutely worst UFC dude he fought was Dan Hardy who is actually a pretty skilled announcer these days

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

true but that's why you gotta come up with some sort of parameters or else everybody is gonna have some bums on their records, and that's why I try to limit it to only UFC fights or thereabouts.

i mean technically cung le only fought 3 UFC fights and everybody was pretty decent (wanderlei, cote, bisping) so then you sorta do gotta start dipping into the other organizations. So yeah it's tough to figure out what should count and what shouldn't. I just know Condit is gonna be up there regardless cause the absolutely worst UFC dude he fought was Dan Hardy who is actually a pretty skilled announcer these days

true

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Vitor belfort

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
You've got to say that GSP had the toughest strength of schedule of anyone. This guy, and I don't know how it happened, but it happened, fought the toughest opponent of his life like 7 times in a row. What are the chances of that?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Chris James 2 posted:

He doesn't, that's kind of the point.

Man had a tweetstorm saying what an outrage it was he was off 200 less than an hour after the announcement was made. Days after being stripped of a belt and he still hasn't made a public statement on it. That's not the action of a man who had any current plans of defending the belt, and if he ever had them since winning the belt he sure didn't value it over his other plans of Anything Else.

It was noticeable enough to everyone else around him that UFC were thinking about stripping him for at least months before they finally did.

Yeah I mean I'm sure he's not happy about not having the belt officially any more, but both he and the UFC probably know (and might even have an agreement) that the second he wants to fight for the featherweight title again, he gets the next shot no questions asked. But if he has the choice between cutting to 145, cutting to 155 or doing vanity fights at 170 I'm pretty drat sure he's a lot more enthusiastic for the latter two options and he's got more than enough fights their to keep him busy for the next few years with the added bonus of not having to starve himself.

Most fighters don't have the luxury of picking their fights, but Conor's got so many drat options.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Detroit_Dogg posted:

"did anybody tell you to get your poo poo together"

"oh a LOT of people have told me to get my poo poo together"

:lol: his fuckin garbage man even told him to get his poo poo together

• Locked thread