Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I don't know why there's art of Mario and Luigi as Sentret and Furret but I'm extremely okay with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

2017 is the 10th anniversary of

Chulip
Gurumin
Hotel Dusk
Rogue Galaxy
The Warriors video game
Crackdown
Virtua Fighter 5
STALKER
Etrian Odyssey
Overlord
Super Stardust HD
Picross DS
Bomberman Live
Persona 3
Bioshock
Metroid Prime 3
Wild Arms 5
Stranglehold
Halo 3
Zack & Wiki
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Super Mario Galaxy
Contra 4
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Crysis
Uncharted
Rock Band
Trauma Center: New Blood
Mass Effect

and something called The Orange Box

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drat, I can't believe Super Stardust HD is that old now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

2017 is the 10th anniversary of

Chulip
Gurumin
Hotel Dusk
Rogue Galaxy
The Warriors video game
Crackdown
Virtua Fighter 5
STALKER
Etrian Odyssey
Overlord
Super Stardust HD
Picross DS
Bomberman Live
Persona 3
Bioshock
Metroid Prime 3
Wild Arms 5
Stranglehold
Halo 3
Zack & Wiki
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Super Mario Galaxy
Contra 4
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Crysis
Uncharted
Rock Band
Trauma Center: New Blood
Mass Effect

and something called The Orange Box

2007 was a hell of a year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You may already have all your gimmicks planned Video Games, but making one month dedicated to playing games from 2007 would be a cool one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

2017 will be the year of Kyle Hyde

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just tried Steam streaming for the first time in like two years. Apparently that's not a giant piece of poo poo anymore. Playing Cities Skylines on my 2012 MacBook Air and it's great.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

that is a nice name

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I loved Stranglehold when it came out and I was in my late teens, but I tried playing it a couple of months ago again and it's aged pretty poorly to the point where I gave up 4 levels into it. It's probably for the best though, as it means I've played even better games since then and that my tastes also changed and evolved during the past decade, which I assume is something that will keep happening until the day I am no more and ascend to video game heaven (or descend to game heck): :angel:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really loved the visual style in Hotel Dusk. I still need to play Last Window at some point.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Darkness also came out in 2007 and it was an excellent game made by Starbreeze who also worked on The Chronicles of Riddick game from 2004. It grabbed an atrocious comic book series and turned it into a action/drama hybrid where you play as an angry mob man with demon powers who slaughters other mob men while cool heavy metal music plays during firefights. Amongst the linear missions there was a NY/subway hub world with a great amount of interactivity where you could dial phone numbers, interact with radios, initiate conversations with characters for sidequests or just random chatter, and even turn on televisions to watch full films like To Kill a Mockingbird or whole episodes of Flash Gordon alongside many others. The game oozed atmosphere and the storyline was pretty self-contained too which is a rare thing in this medium, to the point where the average sequel, which was made by another developer, had to handwave away a lot of the first game's conclusion.

A lot of its key developers later on left Starbreeze to found MachineGames which worked on Wolfenstein The Old Blood and The New Order, both which share a lot of tonal and gameplay elements with The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick.

GUI fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 1, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yahoo! Happy new year, game friends

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games: so loving good. Like dogs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6NiXAdMzEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAcIBJgj7A

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I am in total disbelief that Metroid Prime 3 is that old.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For what it's worth, the "Tracy is gay so what" is in my opinion the best title for a January title

Is her name Tracy? I don't play over watch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I am in total disbelief that Metroid Prime 3 is that old.

1 is 16 years old now.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

In Training posted:

1 is 16 years old now.

What? No it isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What? No it isn't.

True. it's only 15 years (well, 14, 15 in November.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Joe Gillian posted:

You don't have to be good at stealth to enjoy Hitman. I'd argue that you would enjoy it less if you approached it as such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgP3OYgax_4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

True. it's only 15 years (well, 14, 15 in November.)

Oh I thought it was a 2001 game, my apologies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you're thinking of A Space Oddessy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Oh I thought it was a 2001 game, my apologies.

Haha. I just meant more of a "It's 1 year difference, we're still all old."

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

GUI posted:

The Darkness also came out in 2007 and it was an excellent game made by Starbreeze who also worked on The Chronicles of Riddick game from 2004. It grabbed an atrocious comic book series and turned it into a action/drama hybrid where you play as an angry mob man with demon powers who slaughters other mob men while cool heavy metal music plays during firefights. Amongst the linear missions there was a NY/subway hub world with a great amount of interactivity where you could dial phone numbers, interact with radios, initiate conversations with characters for sidequests or just random chatter, and even turn on televisions to watch full films like To Kill a Mockingbird or whole episodes of Flash Gordon alongside many others. The game oozed atmosphere and the storyline was pretty self-contained too which is a rare thing in this medium, to the point where the average sequel, which was made by another developer, had to handwave away a lot of the first game's conclusion.

A lot of its key developers later on left Starbreeze to found MachineGames which worked on Wolfenstein The Old Blood and The New Order, both which share a lot of tonal and gameplay elements with The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick.

Darkness was flawed but so good. It's a credit to Starbreeze that they took the knockoff "Spawn"-ness of the source material and made it into something great. Seriously look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_(comics)

The second game was also flawed and generic and definitely closer to the source but I thought it was at least a fun "shoot dudes and rip em in half with hellpowers"-em up. Can't wait to see what Machine Games comes up with next!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I read the original Darkness comic around the game's release and wish I hadn't. Even its writer admitted in an interview a couple of years ago that he didn't give a poo poo about it and only wrote it for the money.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Happy new year!!!! :toot:

It's January, so I made the next chat thread

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was making a Chat thread too but then FirstAidKite made it

Here it is just in case

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hosed up...if true

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Got off work early, been catching up on the Boston Major and playing meteos, man i suck at tetris attack style games. Gonna be a while before i unlock Meteos, but it's the last thing to unlock.

Looks like im going to start my new year brokering peace between my moms though :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Happy new year!

...I missed the midnight countdown because I opened Civ V around ten or so and suddenly it's 12:36 and I hate the Incans for repeatedly building wonders before I do! :argh:

(This game is great and also a menace, jesus christ no wonder it's so feared on the internet. One more turn indeed!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My cousin brought his NES mini to the new year's bash and all the cousins and significant others of cousins around our age had a great time reliving old memories, yelling while we were playing punch-out and Mega Man, teasing each other about the rusty skills. A true nostalgia machine.

Everyone was impressed that I remembered all the weaknesses of the punch-out guys.

• Locked thread