Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The people who aren't hype for Last Guardian. I'm shaking with rage......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
fish's desire to continue making games was also hampered by the fact that he and his wife were targeted by gg harassment, a thing that people on this very forum claimed couldn't possibly be happening (it was)

he's aloof and annoying but I like her and it was pretty lovely

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lets hang out posted:

I think it's mean to tell people they should die which phil fish does a lot

it's, and I can only think of one way to correct this behavior *makes threatening phone calls to his family*

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
those posts made me watch mm8 level videos bc I didn't remember them either and wily 1 came back to me with a vengeance

it's just the ice level but worse, please look forward to it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Do people really not rotate their saves when possible?

There's a mentality not to that I think comes from certain things more than others - console gamers, ppl with siblings growing up, etc - because you think of save slots as places to save additional playthroughs or for others to save their game, not things to alternate between, and a lot of console RPGs would only have like 1-3 slots and in some cases not allow you to rotate.

On PSX save space was tightly constrained by memory card blocks; a memory card had 15 blocks and iirc Final Fantasy games usually took 1-2 blocks per file, so sometimes you literally only had the space left on your card for one save unless you wanted to delete your saves from other games. Some games were loving huge, and would take like half a memory card by themselves.

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 10, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Mega Man 8 Wily STage 1 is the worst levvel in mega man history.

dude it's

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

It's when you bake a pizza with macaroni and cheese on top

jk it's when you tie a noose and hang yourself they're the same fuckin thing!!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

Pizza update: it was good

im glad of it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Would anyone believe me if I said I've never tasted pizza

I had a friend who didnt eat a hamburger until he was 30 years old even though he likes, you know, beef and bread just fine

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

The best pizza is cold leftovers. Fresh pizza is for fools

don't listen to this maniac.

first should be pepperoni, new york style, from the best local place possible

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

No one wants to post anything controversial because a swarm of locusts will destroy your site and the twitter accounts of all your staff.

A lot of professional and semi-professional pot stirrers had bigger fish to fry in the form of the US Presidential Election, too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cavelcade posted:

I'm being a bit unfair on it, but I just don't really get why you'd want to tie yourself down with all the baggage of the setting instead of doing your own thing.

I mean I do, kind of - financial security, mitigating risk, etc, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Edit: And I was sad not to play SW:G in its heyday, it seemed really cool but I came across it way too late.

rogue one is a star wars movie about the rebellion, which was founded to wage war on a militant government whose autocratic ruler and chief inquisitor are both evil space wizards with lightsabers

how is having one of the guys the movie's about in the movie "baggage"?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I think you're misreading Cavelcade's argument. They're saying that a Star Wars movie that didn't involve lightsabers and Jedi would just be a science fiction movie that could be told in a different setting, so why would you bring Star Wars baggage along? I'm the one who's all "why is Darth Vader in this movie at all?" about it.

yeah well screw you pal!!!

just kidding. i'm tired

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the rating system in 13 and the drops linked to it were incredibly confusing. I could never tell if I was gonna get good grades before the game spit them out either

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I don't think it's around anymore. But for real, when you get right down to it, the online is basically Westworld. :eyepop:

Whatever world encounter they put in RDR2 where you find a robot gunslinger malfunctioning or something like that will be extremely good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I never played Deadly Premonition (on that note). Is it actually fun or does watching the funniest clips of it basically give you the gist?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pacific Rim didn't do much for me bc it felt like a Hollywood film heavily styled like anime without any of the unusual visuals or themes that make anime interesting, and I'm not even a anime dude

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

You better start taking your shoes off indoors and calling people by their last name because you're totally an anime dude.

I hope I'm at least a pretty one.

chumbler posted:

Pacific Rim fights were also pretty low on visual noise as well, as I recall. A lot of cg fights try to cram in a bunch of motion or other things that can make them hard to follow.

Dude holy poo poo is the dogfight sequence in the new Independence Day terrrrrible about that

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jyrraeth posted:

wine makes you seem like you're too classy.

get it in a box; if that doesn't sufficiently declass you use the spigot on the box to funnel it into an empty beer can

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

FFXV: Also why is Leviathan the only not-human summon? Like that's a cool idea but it sticks out all the more because of it (I'm sure the answer is because they had that design for forever).

Honestly I think it's kind of interesting and a good interpretive question to ask why they redesigned Bahamut to have human eyes behind a dragon mask rather than being a space dragon. Titan, Ramuh, Leviathan, Shiva, and Ifrit all look pretty much the same as they always do, which means they're all humanoid but Leviathan, but Bahamut is kind of a radical redesign. Is he supposed to be the first king of Lucis or something?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Every mega man game ever. I finished 1-10 and now in on the X series. X2 is cool but I guess I permanently missed some bosses because they disappeared from my nap

ya there's 3 optional bosses that randomly post up in levels, and if you beat the level they're in without finding and killing them first they disappear forever; otoh finding and beating all three of them skips the second-to-last boss who is one of the most difficult in the game, so there's no such thing as a 100% playthrough anyway

X3 has a similar kind of thing with even more obtuse requirements to get zero's lightsaber

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Witcher 3 and GTA 5 if you didn't already play it last gen are great games and worth the money

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
X4 is definitely the best iteration of playing as Zero in the X games, if you're into that

2's the best and 5's where the big downturn starts

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

It's fun to think that there was a time when Mega Man X was considered to be a dark and edgy reimaging of the Mega Man franchise.

I mean, "dark and edgy" is relative to the NES games.

It's a totally badass action show or shonen anime you watched when you were 13, instead of a "kiddie cartoon" you watched when you were 6. It's dark and edgy in the way that Dragonball Z is dark and edgy relative to Pokemon.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Diet: Meat

Don't wanna watch that guy eat

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Gamecube = tiny discs, fairly win.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I prolly won't ever replay Spec Ops because the game isn't good enough to want to, but it's worth playing once and I'm glad of it exists

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I watched Blade Runner for the first time earlier this year and honestly most of it went right over my head

It's not very complicated. What about it confused you?

Harrison Ford is a blade runner, a guy who hunts down rogue androids called replicants who violate their programmed directives. He's pulled in for a job to hunt four very dangerous replicants that are miners and military droids (iirc). As he does so he begins to fall in love with a woman, who turns out to be a replicant herself. He eventually kills them all except Rutger Hauer, their leader, who plays a violent game of cat-and-mouse with him in a derelict apartment building. Given the opportunity to kill Ford, Hauer saves his life in a demonstration of his mercy and humanity, then dies of natural causes (bc the replicants all have programmed obsolescence dates). Ford experiences a profound change of heart and goes on the run with the replicant he fell for, whose date is unknown, and who may die at any moment. Thematically, it's about transhumanist principles and mortality.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there's way more to the movie than just the dry plot beats

Of course there is, but I didn't know what part Alfalfa had missed. There's room for a lot of conversation and debate about what else is going on with the movie, what it has to say about class or religion for example, which is part of what makes it a good movie. But "transhumanism and mortality" also seems like a pretty good quick summary of what it's about?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Blade Runner leaves it open-ended intentionally, BR'49 is going to answer it. It didn't need answered.

Yeah it's pretty incredible that the most active conversation about BR has always been whether or not Deckard is a replicant, given that the main point of the movie itself is that it doesn't matter

But yeah I'm also looking forward to the new one because it at least has some potential, and it's at least not a remake or reboot.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the guy with the Captain Toad avatar who posts in the MS and Valve threads but not the Nintendo one

VideoGames posted:

Gaming is best with friends.

It owns; it's my birthday and I'm gonna play Red Dead with a buddy for a couple hours before I go out tonight

oddium posted:

was the screen/projector on?? i've had that problem a few times

Turn your screen/projector on.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

Was Hail Caesar! any good?

Yea. There's something about the script that feels a little unfinished or like they cut something critical, but you could also make the case that that feeling is part of what the movie's about. It has some funny-rear end scenes.

It's neither the best nor the worst Coen film.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

What was with that one jump scare real early on in Until Dawn where a spooky face jumped out at the characters and none of them even reacted like anything happened

Dude I have no loving idea. I played through that game twice and wondered exactly the same thing the second time. It's so quick that as the player I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be an early glimpse of the wendigo, a dumb movie effect Josh was using to try and jumpscare them, or something else entirely.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Skipping the Wii and getting a Wii-U was an incredibly good choice. Nintendo is usually pretty good about backwards compatibility and their first-party games age very well, so it's a good company to buy a system from every other generation imo

EDIT: Bayonetta 2 and Mario Maker are fantastic

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 21, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
IDK if either is my goty but Pokemon Moon and FF15 were both nice pick-me-ups during what's been a tough six months for me emotionally and financially

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Ive heard DMC3 is kinda assy to get working right on the PC version but hopefully it all works out for me because it was 5 dollars and Ive always wanted to play it and 4.

DMC3 is winning as hell but parts of it are frustratingly dated already

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really want an insider who's been there since the beginning to write a book about Star Citizen here in a few years so I can read about all the wacky poo poo that happened without having to trawl through 100,000 obsessive forum posts about every single word the developers' families tweet or whatever, but I suspect anybody that close to the development is about as likely to finish an interesting tell-all book as they are the game

There need to be more of those about everything. I'm looking forward to reading the ones about the Clinton and Trump campaigns, too

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I bought racing stripes for my car in FF15, now how the gently caress do I put them on

Talk to the boobs lady at Hammerhead

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Going home prolly late tonight bc my girl was left alone by her family on Christmas kind of out of nowhere, but I didn't bail yesterday because my folks also haven't seen me since this summer and bought me new kitchenware and new tires which I'm getting installed today.

~V blessed~ looking forward to settling in with The Last Guardian when I have a couple days to myself before New Years. Happy holidays to Games, and to videogames, and Videogames.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Fibbage is so loving good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

Federation Forces did poorly enough we dont know their sales figures because they never charted.
For example, the first week it was available in Japan we know it sold less that 4,000 copies but no solid numbers. That's already small enough to be damning though.

shout out to the crew at "nintendo life" and "nintendo world report" for keeping nintendo power's editorial flame alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Maybe federation force is awesome and nobody played it

Are you suggesting the EGM Review Crew would just... make up a score?

• Locked thread