Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
So this is it. We are nearly done. The year is coming to an end and I think it is safe to say "thank god". We are in the homestretch of a year in which it seemed that tragedy and death happened every month, insanity took over common sense and cats were close to getting along with dogs. You just got the feeling that somewhere out there there was a timeline where every day was filled with rainbows and sangrias. Perhaps the Flash ran back in time and caused our timeline instead.
This is the year that we suffered the losses of Bowie, Prince, Wilder, American sanity and common decency. There were some victories though, and for me some personal, but in the scheme of the wider world it probably doesn't bring much solace.
In the world of comics things definitely didn't reflect the dark clouds of outside, what with Image comics continuing to produce excellent comics, DC rebooting the universe (again) and actually leading to more positive and happy comics, and while I don't read Marvel I assume they continued producing diverse positive and fun comics. Yes, comics would continue to provide a way out, an escape, a path to optimism when the world outside decided to lose it's mind.
I will say this to the end then. In this final months, lets reflect on our losses, on our sadness and our confusion but let us also remember that we are all in this together, we are all friends, and even though we might be strangers, we are all bonded by our love of this stupid hobby. Let us know that as bad as things seem, this too will pass and that after every storm there is sunshine.
So here is one final gently caress you to 2016. May 2017 kick it in it's stupid arse.

Cheers.

Edit: Sorry for the downer post, but thinking about 2016 kind of put me in a mood, but like Superman, I am hopeful for the future. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Lucifer is pretty good so far. Gonna buy more of this in a check or two.

That's all I got yet, it's still November here. I don't get to clock out until December.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's December and 2016 can't end soon enough.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Ah, but it can! Because as bad as everything else is, there'll always be Christmas presents to help things go out on a high note.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Humbug.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

http://www.wistv.com/story/33817297/doomsayers-planet-x-will-destroy-earth-this-december

You may get your wish soon enough if crazy people are to be believed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, comicswise, Marvel bestowed Renew Your Vows upon the world this year, so that's one thing they've got going for them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Marvel made a press release where they referred to Greg Land as one of their hottest artists. I'm done with the year.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Carrying on from the discussion from the November thread, I apparently don't hate the Avengers films as much as everyone else here, but they are easily the worst of the MCU films. I think Civil War handled the crossover aspect a lot better. I do like Whedon's stuff generally, but hopefully him taking a step back will mean the Infinity War films (or whatever the second one will be) will be better.

Also yeah 2016 has sucked but I'm not sure things are really looking better for 2017. :sigh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ghostlight posted:

Marvel made a press release where they referred to Greg Land as one of their hottest artists. I'm done with the year.
Like it or not, he sells comics.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

irlZaphod posted:

Carrying on from the discussion from the November thread, I apparently don't hate the Avengers films as much as everyone else here, but they are easily the worst of the MCU films. I think Civil War handled the crossover aspect a lot better. I do like Whedon's stuff generally, but hopefully him taking a step back will mean the Infinity War films (or whatever the second one will be) will be better.

Also yeah 2016 has sucked but I'm not sure things are really looking better for 2017. :sigh:

I think Incredible Hulk, both Thor films, and Iron Man 2 are all way worse than the first Avengers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I actually liked Age of Ultron, probably because I don't read Avengers comics, and because I saw it after reading goons going on about what a terrible movie it was.

But I loving loathe Christmas, the Christmas season, and the culture surrounding this time of year. This is the final gauntlet for me to survive before I can truly move on from this meteor crater of a year.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't even think AoU was that bad of a film, it was just that I left the theater going "I didn't care about the vast majority of what happened there."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Maybe he has an above-average body temperature. Stop being anti-mutant.

Anyway this is my birthday month so I am going to spend it celebrating and trying to forget this terrible year.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
"2016 was such a bad year, all these people died..." is such a myopic statement.

People whined about the same thing last year. "2015 stinks we lost Spock, Lemmy, and Hot Rod. I hope 2016 is better."

It's never better.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
2016 was the year I got into comics and discovered some great stuff I had no idea existed before, so at least that's something good that happened for me, right? :unsmith:

Also I enjoyed Civil War but I don't really consider it an Avengers movie (even though it kind of was) just because there was a different team behind it and I thought that alleviated a lot of my personal gripes about Avengers and Ultron (seriously, if every single character sounds like they could have randomly pulled their lines out of the same hat, you're doing it wrong).

I liked Doctor Strange much more because it just seemed like something different, which at this point is becoming necessary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The team that made Civil War is actually making the next 2 Avengers though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ferrule posted:

"2016 was such a bad year, all these people died..." is such a myopic statement.

People whined about the same thing last year. "2015 stinks we lost Spock, Lemmy, and Hot Rod. I hope 2016 is better."

It's never better.

People die every year.

People on the internet pretend like every year is the worst year because of said people dying.

It's the cycle of the internet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ant Man was the best part of Civil War. But it's Paul Rudd so it was kind of unfair to everyone else.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ant Man is kind of sad because it never would have been a thing in the MCU if not for Edgar Wright.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
2016 was actually a pretty okay year for me personally; it was the rest of the world that got hosed.

Sorry, rest of the world :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Sure celebrities die every year bit not many years have an election/referendum like the US and Britain had. gently caress 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look on the bright side: I don't live in either of those places.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Madkal posted:

Sure celebrities die every year bit not many years have an election/referendum like the US and Britain had. gently caress 2016

But everybody has hyperbole.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Hey, 2017 will probably be worse!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

None of those mother fuckers who died in 2015 is equal to loving David Bowie dying, hth

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the referendum, I voted to stay in, but I was later told that I voted to stay in for the wrong reasons, so I'm not sure if that means I should have voted to get out instead. It's been a confusing year. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Ant Man is kind of sad because it never would have been a thing in the MCU if not for Edgar Wright.

Well it not being his film is entirely his own fault.

purple death ray posted:

None of those mother fuckers who died in 2015 is equal to loving David Bowie dying, hth

Darwyn Cooke, Prince, Leonard Cohen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd heard a lot about Prince and Lemmy Kilmister, but it was only with their deaths I actually listened to any of their music. Sad, but they ended up being artists I love a lot. Still not really into Bowie, though-I know he's gone through a lot of styles but none of what I've heard really does all that much for me.

Rhyno posted:

Well it not being his film is entirely his own fault.

I thought the consensus was on his side?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
B.B. King and Percy Sledge died last year as well, as did Don Covay. Those were big losses indeed. Prince Buster and Rico Rodriguez also died this year. Both great musicians; Buster practically invented the entire ska music genre but as far as most people in the year 2016 are concerned ska is just generic pop-punk with horns and that's just a load of rubbish.

Little Richard is still hanging in there. I hope he's doing okay. When Little Richard dies, that will be an especially sad day indeed. He's the greatest rock and roller who ever lived.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I thought the consensus was on his side?

You mean the consensus of his fanbase? He delayed making the film for years and then he didn't want it to be an MCU flick despite the studio contract saying it would absolutely be an MCU flick. I love his work but he dug his own grave on Ant-Man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Plus there's the whole part of when they explained what came from Wright and what came from Reed and McKay it was the latter that seemed to bring in everything most people liked about the movie. Including Hope being more than a glorified cameo for a couple scenes and everything involving Luis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Plus there's the whole part of when they explained what came from Wright and what came from Reed and McKay it was the latter that seemed to bring in everything most people liked about the movie. Including Hope being more than a glorified cameo for a couple scenes and everything involving Luis.

He was such a surprise, I loved his retelling scenes.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Little Richard is still hanging in there. I hope he's doing okay. When Little Richard dies, that will be an especially sad day indeed. He's the greatest rock and roller who ever lived.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also I enjoyed Civil War but I don't really consider it an Avengers movie (even though it kind of was) just because there was a different team behind it and I thought that alleviated a lot of my personal gripes about Avengers and Ultron (seriously, if every single character sounds like they could have randomly pulled their lines out of the same hat, you're doing it wrong).
Yes, Joss Whedon is a bad writer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I like Chuck Berry and I think he was the best songwriter out of that original generation of rock singers but he wasn't the best overall, much like Jerry Lee Lewis played the best piano but wasn't the best overall; Little Richard was the best overall because he combined the best attributes of all of them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Comic shop didn't get any comics at all this week :(

Hope this is the last of the shipping problems, but that's not a very high hope.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This year has sucked. gently caress off 2016 and take my 20s with you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would like to declare that today is January 1st, 2017 and that due to extenuating circumstances, 2017 will have 13 months. 2016 has been a horror from top to bottom and it must be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
On the one hand, almost everything that happened this year.
On the other hand, I became a dad.

In conclusion 2016 was a year of contrasts.

• Locked thread