Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

rkajdi posted:

When people start physically attacking Ted Cruz for being the Zodiac Killer, you might have a point. These lies are specifically set up to punish someone for standard political involvement, with the punishment being death. I'd say that's as far from the Zodiac Killer joke as you can get.

Making an equivalency between the pizzagate thing and 'ted cruz is the zodiac killer' is divorced from reality entirely, I agree. 'Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer' is a a dumb meme people shared for a few weeks, Pizzagate is almost certainly a propaganda effort to radicalise mentally unstable people into violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Potato Salad, do you understand that this (fairly sophisticated, honestly) propaganda tactic of neo-nazis creating conspiracy theories about left-wing politicians being involved with pedophile rings is very likely a contributing factor that led to the murder of Jo Cox?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Tim Raines IRL posted:

As someone who's had a hobby of reading conspiracy nutter forums on and off for years running, I think this is just as paranoid and nutty a thing to say as 2/3rds of the poo poo in the pizzagate voat.

I didn't say pizzagate itself was definitely a deliberate tactic, but there seems to be a broad trend of neo-nazis (which we apparently have to call the alt-right, or something) trying to tie politicians to pedophile rings, which is why I cite Jo Cox, due to the National Front, BNP and other far-right groups in the UK publishing material claiming she was protecting a group of immigrants who were assaulting children. That's a thing which happened, not just something my supposedly raging paranoia is creating out of nothing.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Mulaney Power Move posted:

haven't there also been d&d threads that have tied politicians to pedophile rings? since when did this become a specific neonazi thing?

As far as I'm aware, the only one I've seen is about Operation Yewtree, which was a discussion about an actual wideranging police investigation, and not baseless smears? I'm sure baseless smears occurred in the thread though, yes.

• Locked thread