Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This is a post I wrote for the Auspol thread, I'd like to write more but I'm phone posting. The story which features this "Jewish Council" was featured on mainstream news, including conservative commentators using it as an example of "bad protestors"

Recoome posted:

This is the tl;dr from what I have right now, sorry it's not a lot.

Basically, the situation as presented is a sham (and this somehow hasn't been reported in the media). The Independent Jewish Council of Australia in a completely fictional organisation, and has not ever existed in any shape or form beyond potentially some dude's fever dreams. This is completely evident when you check out their About Us page, which lists the supposed exective team. The problem is, "Rabbi Moshe Gold" isn't a person, the .jpg for his name just links to a generic rabbi url and a reverse image search reveals that it is actually Barry Freundel. Hilariously, the front page has "news" correctly attributed to Freudel and uses his picture. It's safe to assume that no-one on this page exists, and a whois search of the domain reveals that the [domain was only registered late November, and the domain is set up through an anonymous host.

The problem here is that in news reports such as this one from Sky News, the Independent Jewish Council of Australia is legitimised as an actual conservative body of Jews, where the site and story doesn't even stand up to 5 minutes of scrutiny. Their Facebook page has only a handful of likes, and has a phrase which I can only surmise is a bastard form of Yiddish, although a person who could speak/write Yiddish would know that although the pronunciation is pseudo German, it is written in the Hebrew. I reckon that the person who wrote this only has a cursory knowledge of Judaism (even I know more about it through my girlfriend, and I'm not even that accultured).

I'm going to be forwarding what I have to Mediawatch or something, because frankly this is bullshit that this has gotten so much airtime with such little scrutiny.

e: The rest of the stuff basically just reinforces the point that this is some bizarro performance art piece by a crazy right wing dude I guess? I'm not sure

The greatest irony is that it's likely completely manufactured in order to make a point whilst still making Jews out to be a problem (A Jewish anti fascist group organized a demonstration), and this involves two controversial ultranationalist senators who try to paint themselves as a victim. Scary poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

What is your citizenship? I ask because this thread has a heavy pair of US-focused blinders on it given the recent election cycle where fake news and accountability vs free speech are topics that have interesting twists all across the globe.

Ummm pretty sure Australia has had a heavy mention of "places where mainstream media is, infact, poo poo"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

So, articles right now aren't pushing what could be called outright fake news, but more of the FAU "falsehood slipping alongside truth" in headlines is taking place regarding Pizzagate in the states and it's pissing me off, and it's anger directed at my side of the political spectrum. Headlines are trying to tie Pizzagate directly to violence here:

Spin.com What Is Pizzagate? The Insane Child Sex Conspiracy Theory That Led a Man to Fire a Rifle in a Restaurant, Explained

Spin.com ‘Pizzagate’ hoax shows potentially lethal side of fake news

MarketWatch What Is Pizzagate? The Insane Child Sex Conspiracy Theory That Led a Man to Fire a Rifle in a Restaurant, Explained

God loving drat it, CNN Fake news, real violence: 'Pizzagate' and the consequences of an Internet echo chamber

Fox How an Internet conspiracy theory led a gunman into a DC pizza parlor (admissibly this is a less-direct "Guy goes postal because conspiracy theory told him to")

Heh, the Independent What is Pizzagate? The wild Hillary Clinton conspiracy theory that led to a man opening fire in an Italian restaurant

Plenty of weird poo poo happens in the US regarding guns. For some reason, the bit where a man fired an assault rifle at someone walking a dog thinking that it was a clown during the big clown scare earlier this fall comes to mind. The existence of pizzagate at all ticks me off, but drat it we don't need to blow poo poo out of proportion and try desperately to imply that it was the pizzagate conspiracy movement that actually called for the shooter in the Comet store to go, well, ballistic.

I have borne personal witness to /r/the_donald convincing ex-enlightened people (well, singular person) that he needed to buy a gun to protect himself from BLM rioting, but to directly try to imply "alt-right fake news forces or coerces man to shooting" in headlines does nothing to further inform the public. I see these headlines doing more harm than good, permitting more and more /pol/ and /r/the_donald converts to continue to source-select news ever more stringently as clearly these outlets are out to cast them as the devil no matter what. You know what? They aren't completely wrong.

I'm not really interested in debating anyone. Hopefully a thread on fake news can really just be about fake news and not personal stuff. Low-effort half-sentence posting however :)

If you think that inflammatory rhetoric somehow isn't associated with a potential for violent actions, then lol buddy have I got news for you

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah, I see where inflammatory rhetoric radicalizes people. I'm not convinced it would be unfair after a more complete reading on this shooting in a week to characterize the guy as directly radicalized / inflamed to violence by fake news, specifically Pizzagate, especially if more about his online activity comes to light.

Are these headlines being fair?

I'd call a spade a spade in this case, so yeah I think they fair. The "pizzagate" conspiracy or whatever lame loving name it has, at the very least, facilitated that particular attack.

If you are some right-winger dude and are salty that right wing dudes are being called out on it, then just lol

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I didn't detect it before but :laffo: at forums poster Potato Salad all but saying :qq:they are stereotyping us as bad people:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Politicians in the US or other places besides the UK have never been tied to pedophile rings? Are you quite sure?

while most/all of pizzagate is schizophrenia

:allears:

• Locked thread